The Kickball Cruise from Hell – Inspiration April 5-8, 2013.

JD4Nati

I really wish that CCL would list cruises with large groups sailing on them so that we could make an educated decision about whether or not we choose to sail with them. Is there any way to find this out prior to booking?

I will not cruise if a large group has booked. Twice bitten so it is not going to happen again. First time there were too many public places closed for private functions. Second time it was a free for all much like the one being described here.

I google my ship name and as many variations of the date as I can think of. If it is a large group, they will have a web page.

While I did not go on this cruise (I can get food poisoning at home); I am a Waka kickballer who feels compelled to respond to this thread. I am sure that some of the people did, in fact, drink and get wild; to suggest that we're not high functioning adults is absurd and rude. Many of us are lawyers, engineers, and teachers who like to be social while getting some exercise (very irresponsible, I know). When taking your family on a 3 day cruise to Mexico over spring break you didn't expect people to be drinking and getting rowdy? Are you also shocked by the presence of children at Disneyland?

Funny, I didn't meet any Friends of Bill on this cruise...I showed up outside the coffee/pastry shop for the meeting, but no one looked sober. LOL! <sigh> No surprise...but it's NOT uncommon for sober people to cruise (even on a typical "booze cruise" route) and have a blast!

As disturbing as the behavior I witnessed was with WAKA (and I remember a T-shirt said "Kickball and Social Sport"), I'm inclined to reminisce on my own drunken days in my 20's: one was being wheelchaired back to my hotel suite in Vegas, because I was too drunk to stand, let alone walk...being exceptionally loud in public places, I even remember being at an Irish bar on St. Patty's Day and having the gall to shove a waitress because she slammed my chicken wings down on the table! All this and more in my 20's! I had a lot of great times, did a lot of great things with a lot of great people and made some great memories! Sadly, though, where there was alcohol...the memories are subject to haunt me.

Does acknowledging my own drunken 20-something antics from back then give other 20-somethingers of today a free pass? Does it make all the foul, loud, inappropriate around children (okay, even adults...after what I heard...my turkey wrap tasted differently as I thought about their f-bomb laced conversation about the 3-some they were planning with the well-blessed biracial guy not present) talk okay? No! It doesn't. But I tend to forgive a little quicker when I remind myself how I was in my 20's. I was a college graduate with a new business and a sense of entitlement and a need for fun. I was also an alcoholic.

Anyway, I found enough of the things I like to do (same on every cruise) and had a good time. It won't stop me from doing this route a 4th time...and more. The first two times were cake. This group was an isolated incident...at least for me, it was.

How can Carnival bartenders be put to blame for not cutting people off when those Facebook pictures showed gallons and gallons of booze being painstakingly prepared for smuggling? How is a bartender supposed to cut someone off when the bar isn't the source of alcohol in the first place?

It is threads like this one that have taught me to google the ship and departure dates to check for any "groups" that are on a specific cruise. I'm willing to pay a bit more to sail on a different date just to keep from being in a situation like this. Glad you were able to make the best of it any way!!!

I google my ship name and as many variations of the date as I can think of. If it is a large group, they will have a web page.

When I booked our upcoming cruise, I googled it and it was a QUILTING cruise! (gulp!) :eek:

Just googled it again and it seems like this group switched dates. Thank goodness we dodged that bullet! Those quilting ladys can get K-razy!!! ;)

I am in a professional and I work with professionals in their 20s and 30s. I've attended social events, parties, etc. with them and not once have I witnessed the kind of absolutely child-like behavior more than one poster describes. It's one thing to have a few drinks and enjoy each others' company. It's entirely another to impose your out of control drunkenness on others, including children. If these "professionals" are, indeed, lawyers, doctors, etc. - God help us all!

While I did not go on this cruise (I can get food poisoning at home); I am a Waka kickballer who feels compelled to respond to this thread. I am sure that some of the people did, in fact, drink and get wild; to suggest that we're not high functioning adults is absurd and rude. Many of us are lawyers, engineers, and teachers who like to be social while getting some exercise (very irresponsible, I know). When taking your family on a 3 day cruise to Mexico over spring break you didn't expect people to be drinking and getting rowdy? Are you also shocked by the presence of children at Disneyland?

As a Canadian, I am not unfamiliar with the concept of a two-four in the locker room after a game, however that is in the locker and not in public.

If peoples abhorrent behaviour in public is criticised, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist, or Lawyer or teacher that maybe next time they should keep it inside.

This group is obviously embareassed* by the behaviour, hence the now closed facebook group.

*Misspelling intentional

All I can say is... wow.

I love how people are blaming the excessive drinking on the Carnival employees offering them drinks. The last time I checked, we were all adults and responsible for our own actions. Is that not true? You drink by choice.

Everyone is entitled to the vacation they paid for, but everyone is also expected to behave responsibly. End of story.

I agree with you TOTALLY.

Blaming the crew is ridiculous.

When I booked our upcoming cruise, I googled it and it was a QUILTING cruise! (gulp!) :eek:

Just googled it again and it seems like this group switched dates. Thank goodness we dodged that bullet! Those quilting ladys can get K-razy!!! ;)

Too funny.

Thank goodness I've managed to avoid problem groups on my cruises.

Too funny.

Thank goodness I've managed to avoid problem groups on my cruises.

One of my least favorite cruises included a group...actually two groups. The one that I was a little concerned about were 'Hashers'...still not exactly sure what this hashing thing is, but anyway...our CC group discovered this group was going to be aboard. Their web site advertising the cruise stated things such as 'disrupting the rest of other cruisers, causing ruckus' etc...all childish nonsense.

Normally, I would have ignored it but I had convinced quite a few couples who had never cruised and or never wanted to try CCL to come with us so I immediately wrote to CCL with my concerns, sending them the link to the groups web page.

While on board, CCL had the security pretty tight. They obviously took my concerns seriously and although there was some craziness on that cruise, nothing ever got out of hand. CCL did a great job.

(of course, that was then...'now' is a whole different ball game)

Although this particular cruise was my very least favorite CCL cruise, it had nothing to do with the group on board (sewage smell and mdr meals that were not up to par were)....however, the friends new to cruising and new to CCL truly became 'one and done' after that sailing and sadly, of course I felt responsible for talking them into going.

I think that if people were to Google their cruise date, you might be able to find what, if any groups are on board and then you can try to be proactive. Maybe they handle things better if they are aware ahead of time (???)

I was fortunate enough to be able to do so and CCL came through.

I first would like to say that I am a kickballer and therefor bias.

I have been reading many of your below statements about our group and what astounds me are everyone's vilification. In reality we had ZERO kickballers arrested during the cruise.

Yes there were people who were grossly intoxicated. These cruise goes were from many groups throughout the ship, not just our group. It was a 3 day cruise during spring break (aka booze cruise). This realization should have temepered everyone's expectations. Also, over drinking is obviously not something new as there are policies in place to deal with incidents. These went into action if need be.

As for the below statements about our adulthood I would like to point out the we employed by very respected companies and make substanstial contributions to society. We are your nurses, fireman/woman, CEO's and other executives from around the country

I for one had a great time with both kickballers and non kickballers alike and cannot wait to do it again.

Any idea of just when and where in particular you might do it again? :D

Is that on the 29th? Sounds healthy at least! Last year we had two red hatters and a 500 member Baptist group!

Try a cross dresser group. You haven't lived until you've seen someone 6'3" tall with an adams apple wearing a stars and stripes bikini. ;)

And unless you have a BMI under 22, you never want to be caught on board with a group a Herbal Magic'ers.

Try a cross dresser group. You haven't lived until you've seen someone 6'3" tall with an adams apple wearing a stars and stripes bikini. ;)

And unless you have a BMI under 22, you never want to be caught on board with a group a Herbal Magic'ers.

Well, I guess I am in trouble then. :D

Where were the drug sniffing dogs? Every cruise we've been on, the dogs have been there. We recently went to Seattle and took the ferry to Bainbridge Island. While cars were waiting to board the ferry, a police officer was there with a dog sniffing every single car getting on the ferry. It's true, being drunk on alcohol versus high on pot is far more of a problem. I don't like pot, and like cigarettes, I don't like smelling it either.

No, of course the people on board can be searched! I meant the FB group that was referenced in many posts near the beginning of the thread can no longer be pulled up. I wanted to see the post bragging about how many hours it took the first kickballer to have his sail & sign cut off from more alcohol, the number arrested for narcotics, etc. Some admin in their group must have considered it all light hearted fun or a proud moment.

LOL Oh my!! Memorable cruising for sure!

Last year we had two red hatters and a 500 member Baptist group!

At least Carnival had enough common sense not to have the Baptist group and the Satanic worship group sailing on the same date and ship.... :eek:

Archived