The Kickball Cruise from Hell – Inspiration April 5-8, 2013.

JD4Nati

As for the below statements about our adulthood I would like to point out the we employed by very respected companies and make substanstial contributions to society. We are your nurses, fireman/woman, CEO's and other executives from around the country

I for one had a great time with both kickballers and non kickballers alike and cannot wait to do it again.

I take it back, this certainly could give Carnival and even worse reputation. And it certainly isn't helping the reputation of the kickballers of the world. Or is it. Shessh.

By the way, I would like to meet the CEO kickballer on this cruise.

Burt

I think the problem is that your organization's website booking page for this cruise painted it as "the most epic party weekend of the year" and "we're gonna rock the boat - WAKA style".

http://www.kickball.com/season/cacruisespring2013

That might have been perfectly fine if your group had booked a spring break trip to Cancun or Florida with all of the other Spring Breakers. But Carnival cruises has always welcomed families, children, teens, senior citizens, everyone. So no matter what, even if it's a spring break cruise, it doesn't entirely mean its supposed to be a spring break environment. Also, all children in school get a weeks vacation during spring break, and so of course that's a perfect time for their families to book a family vacation as well. Theyre on Spring Break too! Anyway, I'm sure not everyone on your cruise was rowdy or drunk but it doesn't really help when you look at your team names on your main website :). Like "20,000 Beers Under the Sea", "Alcoballics", "Aquaholics", "Argggh You Drunk", "Beers in Mexico", "Better With Beer", "Booze Decisions", and so much more, those were only the A's and some of the B names.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I don't believe parents should be made to feel they can't book a cruise during Spring Break. That's one of the only weeks kids have off other than summertime, when cruises are more expensive. Or Christmas break, when maybe you can't go on a cruise because of having to be with the extended family, plus cruises are still more expensive then. Of course you should expect some spring breakers but not that it'll be like the really heavy spring break debauchery. I guess it was just unfortunate that it was such a large group during that one week. I also do believe that Carnival cruising is for fun and to relax and maybe going a little crazy for some people (to my husband and I, it means wearing our bathrobes to the buffet or while walking around on the open air decks) so I guess we should all just keep things in perspective.

I don't think they need to defend their behavior. They were on a quick weekend get away cruise, exactly as advertised.

If some CCr's invaded their FB page, those are the people who should be apologizing.

Invaded??? A public FB page??? I don't think the behavior reported was "advertised" by anyone. Carnival has enough problems without reports of this inconsiderate bunch! Your spin is an epic FAIL!

WAKA, like any other group, is full of all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds. There are many who do not drink. There were probably even many on this cruise who did not drink, but people see what they want to see.

While I'm sure that there were some idiots, I'm also confident that people are exaggerating here. It's very easy to see some questionable behavior and paint a whole group with that brush.

I'm a proud WAKA player and while I did not go on this cruise, I know several people who did, and having done several cruises myself, there's NO WAY that WAKA-er's were the only folks acting like idiots on this Ensenada cruise. Hell, I don't remember an Ensenada cruise where there WEREN'T folks acting like idiots, though I am sure the sheer volume of waka-'er's would be daunting and intimidating. It sounds like a bachelor/bachelorette party on steroids, and while it's unfortunate that some people let this ruin their vacation, complaining that there are too many of "_____" group on the Lido deck is dumb. Everyone paid for the right to be there.

To suggest that they should be banned from future carnival cruises is absurd.

While I'm not a kickballer, I would have had fun partying with those guys/gals. HOWEVER, it sounds like they took it too far.

THE NUMBERS SO FAR: 517 - the total # of people who successfully snuck alcohol on board, 5 - the number of hours it took for the first guy to be banned from drinking the rest of the weekend, 2 - the number of people arrested on the ship for narcotics, 4 - the number of failed attempts at the cruise group photo, 16 - the number of people total banned from drinking by Carnival, 26 - the number of times the "roaming flip cup crew" got forced to stop playing, and most importantly: 0 - the number of players left behind in Mexico.

The above bragging speakes for itself.

Were they entitled to a hard-earned vacation they paid for? Yes.

So was the original poster. They were entitled to enjoy their vacation as well.

Was this cruise known as a "booze cruise?" Yes.

Did the group get out of control? In my humble opinion, yes. I'd say we'd probably all agree that it takes A LOT for the non-acting security personnel to ban people for drinking.

It doesnt matter if not "all" of the kickballers were acting out. It doesnt matter if it wasnt "most." What does matter is ENOUGH of them did to give ALL of them a bad name.

Too bad they must have made the group not searchable.

Where were the drug sniffing dogs? Every cruise we've been on, the dogs have been there. We recently went to Seattle and took the ferry to Bainbridge Island. While cars were waiting to board the ferry, a police officer was there with a dog sniffing every single car getting on the ferry. It's true, being drunk on alcohol versus high on pot is far more of a problem. I don't like pot, and like cigarettes, I don't like smelling it either.

I really wish that CCL would list cruises with large groups sailing on them so that we could make an educated decision about whether or not we choose to sail with them. Is there any way to find this out prior to booking?

Not really sure if theres a way to find out. Your best bet would be to ask your PVP???

If not you can google your sailing date and maybe something will pop up.

HOWEVER, it sounds like they took it too far.

THE NUMBERS SO FAR: 517 - the total # of people who successfully snuck alcohol on board, 5 - the number of hours it took for the first guy to be banned from drinking the rest of the weekend, 2 - the number of people arrested on the ship for narcotics, 4 - the number of failed attempts at the cruise group photo, 16 - the number of people total banned from drinking by Carnival, 26 - the number of times the "roaming flip cup crew" got forced to stop playing, and most importantly: 0 - the number of players left behind in Mexico.

^^^Exactly this. They took it too far. I was totally expecting a party atmosphere. That is why we sail Carnival. As I said in my original post, we have taken this same cruise multiple times and many of those times during spring break so I knew what to expect going in. However, my expectations were blown away by the behavior I witnessed, and I can assure that I can drink with the best of them and I am no prude.

I only recently learned here on CC that Carnival blocked sign and sail cards from purchasing alcohol and my understanding was that this was not a common practice. But for this group to be bragging on what was a PUBLIC facebook page about how 16 people got the letter of shame (among other things) gives you an idea of just how bad it was.

This experience will probably not stop us from sailing Carnival or on the Inspiration again. My guess was that this was a once in a lifetime experience. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Carnival should have warned the other people they had booked? Really?

I really think that Carnival (and any other cruise line) should let people know any time there's a large group onboard.

We laugh about it now (10 years later), but our honeymoon cruise was a half-ship charter from a wrestling group. It was a VERY rowdy group (think of one of those WWF matches on TV). I have never seen so many spandex pants in my life, and until this cruise, I didn't know that a wrestling mask was proper attire for formal night, haha!

Anyway, long story short, I had planned our honeymoon cruise a year in advance. Picked a specific ship, itinerary, activities (even splurged on a suite), to make it extra memorable. Well, it was memorable alright, but for VERY different reasons than I would've hoped for!

While I'm not a kickballer, I would have had fun partying with those guys/gals. HOWEVER, it sounds like they took it too far.

Were they entitled to a hard-earned vacation they paid for? Yes.

So was the original poster. They were entitled to enjoy their vacation as well.

Was this cruise known as a "booze cruise?" Yes.

Did the group get out of control? In my humble opinion, yes. I'd say we'd probably all agree that it takes A LOT for the non-acting security personnel to ban people for drinking.

It doesnt matter if not "all" of the kickballers were acting out. It doesnt matter if it wasnt "most." What does matter is ENOUGH of them did to give ALL of them a bad name.

I agree with you. I don't know anyone that enjoys the muster drill, but to speak at all during it, much less carry on the way these folks did, is rude and disrespectful to the crew and the other passengers. Everyone just wants to get it over with as quickly as possible. I also don't care to see people falling down drunk whether it's a group or one person. And to come here and proclaim their right to such behavior is immature. I would avoid a cruise during spring break, but I'm sympathetic to folks with kids who can only travel as a family during such breaks. On the other hand, I try to avoid cruising during times when lots of young kids are on vacation as well. Some of them can be pains, but at least we don't have to worry about them getting drunk and vomiting all over themselves.

It is stories like these that give Carnival a poor reputation among some travelers. I have not sailed Carnival (yet), but have read some of the posts on CC in order to better educate myself about the other cruise choices available. I know this is not the majority of travelers, but it does not take a large group to make the experience less enjoyable.

I am all for people enjoying their vacation, but common courtesy and respect does not mean you (or your group) cannot have a great time.

Im sorry... but Carnival does not monitor alcohol. As I previously stated...this is my 6th cruise. Never have I once ever seen people bartenders or staff not pass up the sale of alcohol....beyond what I might add would be someone's limit. Maybe you shouldn't let your kids run wild unattended on a ship. Im sure you thought that the staff was your 24 hr babysitter but they aren't. It's my 6th cruise and if u have to deal with a huge group of rowdy intoxicated adults... I have to deal with your 6 and 7 yr olds pushing by me in the buffet line...cutting me off down the stairs... or waiting for your lovely family to take FOREVER to exit a ship because u have a billion kids with diaper bags and toys. To each their own.

Im sorry... but Carnival does not monitor alcohol. As I previously stated...this is my 6th cruise. Never have I once ever seen people bartenders or staff not pass up the sale of alcohol....beyond what I might add would be someone's limit. Maybe you shouldn't let your kids run wild unattended on a ship. Im sure you thought that the staff was your 24 hr babysitter but they aren't. It's my 6th cruise and if u have to deal with a huge group of rowdy intoxicated adults... I have to deal with your 6 and 7 yr olds pushing by me in the buffet line...cutting me off down the stairs... or waiting for your lovely family to take FOREVER to exit a ship because u have a billion kids with diaper bags and toys. To each their own.

Your 6th cruise and you have this type of attitude towards fellow cruisers??? Un freaking believable.

People like you should just stay in Vegas instead of ruining a nice weekend getaway for other families!!

Im sorry... but Carnival does not monitor alcohol. As I previously stated...this is my 6th cruise. Never have I once ever seen people bartenders or staff not pass up the sale of alcohol....beyond what I might add would be someone's limit.

I have, I guess you just weren't paying attention.

This thread sure has taken a fun turn. First, I never said my cruise was ruined. And of course I expected some rowdy behavior on a weekend spring break cruise. But the behavior on this cruise was over the top. Sorry if I hurt some kickball feelings. It is what it is. There is a reason that Facebook page was set to private.
It is a real pleasure to read a post from someone with a little perspective.

Others seem to be intent on portraying your comments as either A) You were rightfully fearing for your lives or

B) Complaining about nothing. Why does it always have to be all or nothing here on CC ? :confused:

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all the new members to CC who joined just to comment on this thread.

:)

Brilliant!

Can you clarify who this post is directed to? If you are talking about my post, I never said I let my kids run around unattended. I never do, they are with me or in Camp Carnival. I never said I expect the staff to baby sit my kids. I am their parent and I take care of my own kids. My kids are respectfull and considerate.

If this post was directed at someone else, then ignore my reply. Either way, you sound like a very nasty person!

(They were pulling each others bikini tops off with the victim enjoying leaving it off for awhile). They definitely dont need to see simulated sex which occurred several times by the pool. Two girls simulated giving a guy a BJ and that wasnt the worst of it! Believe it or not a Carnival Security Person was standing right there and never did a thing! Now before you blast me, I have seen this on RCCL as well and their security didnt do anything either!

Apparently I am taking the wrong cruises! :p:D

Not really sure if theres a way to find out. Your best bet would be to ask your PVP???

If not you can google your sailing date and maybe something will pop up.

The problem with this is that at the time you book, there may not be any large groups. Unless a whole ship is Chartered, you will not find out and then when you do, if its past final payment, you have cancellation fees. What about the airfare that you booked with change fees? Its not like you can reschedule.

Carnival or any other cruiseline is not going to notify everyone that is booked on a cruise and give them the option to cancel when a large group books. Unfortunately, its the way it is :(

As someone in the mid-twenties age group, I think this is an example of the "entitlement" that sometimes plagues my generation. Just because you have the money and the time off from work does not give you the right to do as you please regardless of the effects on others. There's a difference between being rowdy at a cabin with your friends and being disruptive on a cruise full of people who also earned their vacation.

What did or didn't happen isn't that relevant now...but if and when you travel as a (large) group you are more susceptible to scrutiny because you are identifiable. My last cruise featured a group with both very friendly members and very drunk (muster-drill disrupting) members as well, and sadly, it's the disruptive ones I'll remember.

OP, it's a bummer when people don't care how their behavior impacts others. But it certainly does remind me to be thankful for people with good manners.

I agree with this statement 100% Also being in this age group I see it happening way too much!

Also this wouldn't even be such an issue if the "entitled" kickballers with this facebook page kept it public to see how "proud" they were of the idiotic things they did during this cruise! Also they are all high & mighty of how great their jobs are HMMM....... employers look at facebook pages & if those employers saw the behavior that went on & that they were proud of then maybe some of those "entitled" kickballers wouldn't be "contributing members to our society"

To act over the top happens BUT to PARADE & BE PROUD OF THAT BEHAVIOR on a public forum is another!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

All I can say is... wow.

I love how people are blaming the excessive drinking on the Carnival employees offering them drinks. The last time I checked, we were all adults and responsible for our own actions. Is that not true? You drink by choice.

Furthermore, it's irritating that 20 somethings are being painted as drunk, arrogant, irresponsible people. Trust me, not all of us are anything like that.

Im 28 and I don't drink. My husband is 29 and he doesn't drink either.

Furthermore, let me address the "diaper bags and toys" remark. I was an idiot like you once. I didn't want to be bothered by children. Well, guess what? I grew up and here in a few months we will have our precious baby. Maybe once you realize you're an adult and control your own destiny, you will have children. I guarantee you, that you'll realize how ignorant your comment is, once you find out you're going to be a parent. I've never been so excited about diaper bags and toys in my life. PERIOD. I'd rather spend my vacation with my husband and child over drunk "overgrown children" any day of the week. Get over yourself. It's pathetic.

Everyone is entitled to the vacation they paid for, but everyone is also expected to behave responsibly. End of story.

gotta love the huge sense of entitlement some of these alleged adults have. One of the things they never tell you about being an adult is that once you are one, you're supposed to act like one. Stinks, but that's the rule.

Archived