Is a balcony a must for Alaska?

Canadianweaselette

My first two cruises were ocean view cabins. I got them at a great price and didn't know any better. My 3rd cruise I found a great deal on a Junior Suite (with a balcony) on NCL for the Pacific Northwest. I have never looked back. I'm in the camp that if I can't afford a balcony, I will wait until I can. I don't do the trivia games, lectures, auctions, etc. I do play bingo (usually just once as it's expensive). But I do like to sit out on the balcony and read, sip a glass of wine or just watch the ocean/scenery go by. I would not be happy up on deck with lots of people milling around. I value my privacy and do spend a lot of time on the balcony, even for the New England/Canada coast where we had torrential rains.

I have always liked your perspective on cruising and cruise tours. It helps to give the posters a well-balanced explanation of their options. There is truly no one right or best way to travel. It is good to learn about the choices out there and why people choose what they do. As people read, they will likely be more drawn to one choice or the other as they can identify with the posters giving the suggestions. We need to continue providing all points of view, and respecting each others views.

One could say that you would spend less time in an inside cabin and more time if you had the balcony - so I'm not sure it makes sense to use not being in the cabin that much as a reason to take an inside cabin.

This is likely true for some people. Depending where you were cruising, there might not be an urgency to rush out to an open deck if you had a balcony. Some people do enjoy privacy on their cruises and relaxing on the balcony and reading a book is true pleasure for them. For me, balconies boil down to budget. I would never go into debt to pay for a balcony. I would not deny myself the opportunity to visit other places because I needed that expensive balcony. I am more about doing more for less. However, for those that can afford it and it brings them pleasure, why not?

There are many, many threads on this forum about whether or not a balcony is needed. There is no one answer that can apply to all of us. I must say I am afraid to try a balcony, because it seems most people who have had a balcony say they just can't go back to an OV or inside. ;)

This is likely true for some people. Depending where you were cruising, there might not be an urgency to rush out to an open deck if you had a balcony. Some people do enjoy privacy on their cruises and relaxing on the balcony and reading a book is true pleasure for them. For me, balconies boil down to budget. I would never go into debt to pay for a balcony. I would not deny myself the opportunity to visit other places because I needed that expensive balcony. I am more about doing more for less. However, for those that can afford it and it brings them pleasure, why not?

There are many, many threads on this forum about whether or not a balcony is needed. There is no one answer that can apply to all of us. I must say I am afraid to try a balcony, because it seems most people who have had a balcony say they just can't go back to an OV or inside. ;)

Bolded for emphasis. If I am able to save enough to take the 14-day AK cruise in 2014, I WILL be in an OV, despite our last 2 cruises being in suites. I think you are similar -- the destination is more important than the accommodations. For me, an OV will be 100% single supplement, plus shuttles, flights, hotel, meals pre-cruise, plus lost self-employment income. I might even (this time ONLY) consider going into a bit of debt to be on that 14-day AK cruise. No doubt about it, it will be an OV. And I won't feel at all deprived :D

And IF you do book that 14 day itinerary, CP, you WILL be doing so on the May 18th sailing, right????;) I would so like to meet you in person! Fingers crossed here!

Would love to meet you, too, AIP :) No idea yet about dates, am still struggling with the "affordability" issue. If I do manage it (seriously not hopeful right now) you can BET there will be a "WOOHOO I'm going to Alaska" thread here! We have enormous expenses coming up this summer, kinda need those to "shake out" before I commit.

Back to balconies -- I've loved every balcony I've had. They are just mostly-unaffordable for us. Darn!

My opinion only, but "postpone" to me, is alarming. Sorry but I never do this. If I want to go, I go. In Dec I was in a severe car accident, that I just got out of inpt rehab, last week. 15 weeks of "incarceration". :) During all this time, I was so glad, I never "waited" to do anything, and did, what I wanted, at the time. Now, I am ready to go again, for there were many days, I really didn't know if that would ever happen.

So, consider living for, and enjoying today.

You are so right! These past few years we have seen both of our Dads pass away and our Mothers have declining health. We have also decided if we want to go, we go. We have always managed to find a way to make it happen. Life passes you by in a flash.

Our first cruise was to Alaska. It was with my parents and they smoke and would never have less than a balcony so we booked next door to them. It was in May and it was so cold and windy that we did not spend much time on our balcony. We found a deck outside in the front up by the veranda decks that few people used, to do most of our going into port viewing and were joined by my parents as they wanted the full view of coming into port. This May we are returning to Alaska in an OV room in the center of the ship. Our balcony was towards the front and we were raised inches off our beds several nights in rough seas. For the price we paid for our seven day cruise we are cruising north from San Diego, staying two nights in Vancouver and cruising to Alaska for 14 days and still coming in cheaper than our first cruise; 20 days for less than the price of 7. It's up to the person, and whether they smoke or have mobility issues but we did come down from a balcony to an OV to be able to cruise twice as often and because we love the whole view from the secret decks we find. There are so many places to sit and enjoy quiet viewing that a balcony is not important to us. Now if we were to get an upgrade free, we couldn't kick but are happy in an OV.

If you can afford a balcony, absolutely get one! I've only cruised without a balcony once (still had a window though), and it was OK for that cruise because it was the Caribbean, which I don't find nearly as exciting as Alaska as far as scenic views! It's so nice to be able to relax in your own space and watch the mountains go by, or see the dolphins jumping underneath your balcony. I've had a room with a balcony in the front of the ship once, that was amazing because you get a wider vantage point. But in any case, regardless of where the balcony is located, my answer is YES!!! ;)

If you can afford a balcony, absolutely get one! I've only cruised without a balcony once (still had a window though), and it was OK for that cruise because it was the Caribbean, which I don't find nearly as exciting as Alaska as far as scenic views! It's so nice to be able to relax in your own space and watch the mountains go by, or see the dolphins jumping underneath your balcony. I've had a room with a balcony in the front of the ship once, that was amazing because you get a wider vantage point. But in any case, regardless of where the balcony is located, my answer is YES!!! ;)

I can certainly afford a balcony, but still choose to go cheap.

Isn't it just WONDERFUL, there is something for everyone??? :) :) :)

I guess it depends on how you like to cruise. I always have a balcony because I enjoy reading and relaxing there. But Alaska offers a bonus of so much to see that I view most of the trip from my balcony. Last time we had whales breaching just outside our cabin. Breathtaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't know if this is appropriate or not to ask, but do you have any preference on which ship has the best open decks for viewing? We are planning for June 2014 and 'tho my DH would like a balcony because he doesnt like the cold ;), I am more alike to you in thinking we should put that extra money towards shore excursions and instead travel in an inside cabin.

thanks for all your awesome hints and suggestions !!

for me, this was found out YEARS ago. :) I don't have any budget limitations and can get all the balconies I want. I' cheap, and prefer to pay for only what I need.

But I will never give up the most viewing, which is my priority, so far more expansive viewing, is always my selection- out on deck. Terrible for me to view through glass as well.

Have to figure out, what EACH of us wants.

Don't know if this is appropriate or not to ask, but do you have any preference on which ship has the best open decks for viewing? We are planning for June 2014 and 'tho my DH would like a balcony because he doesnt like the cold ;), I am more alike to you in thinking we should put that extra money towards shore excursions and instead travel in an inside cabin.

thanks for all your awesome hints and suggestions !!

NCL Pearl, has the WORSE I have sailed on, so would have to use the side lower open decks.

HAL - has open bow decks on the ships I have been on. Princess has good forward open decks, again, on the ships I have been on.

RCI is ok, but, I dislike the plexiglass- again, would spend more time on the promenade deck.

I do NOT book based on ships or cruiseline, so, I am going to make those adjustments. I also have the advantage of being a many time Alaska visitor, and can perhaps, compromise more?

Your husband's "thinking" is perhaps skewed? A balcony on an Alaska itinerary is going to run into "cold". Proper attire is important. It's generally a waste of effort to make any "coffee/breakfast/meal" plans since it may be less than what you may have experienced in the Caribbean. :)

probably should have clarified that a tad..he would like to stand IN the cabin and look out..exactly right, I dislike the plexiglass and would prefer the open deck. So many things to take into consideration, but I am leaning towards an inside cabin and keeping the extra money for shore explorations.

thanks so much

NCL Pearl, has the WORSE I have sailed on, so would have to use the side lower open decks.

HAL - has open bow decks on the ships I have been on. Princess has good forward open decks, again, on the ships I have been on.

RCI is ok, but, I dislike the plexiglass- again, would spend more time on the promenade deck.

I do NOT book based on ships or cruiseline, so, I am going to make those adjustments. I also have the advantage of being a many time Alaska visitor, and can perhaps, compromise more?

what criteria did you base your first Alaska cruise on for making your selection?

Your husband's "thinking" is perhaps skewed? A balcony on an Alaska itinerary is going to run into "cold". Proper attire is important. It's generally a waste of effort to make any "coffee/breakfast/meal" plans since it may be less than what you may have experienced in the Caribbean. :)

probably should have clarified that a tad..he would like to stand IN the cabin and look out..exactly right, I dislike the plexiglass and would prefer the open deck. So many things to take into consideration, but I am leaning towards an inside cabin and keeping the extra money for shore explorations.

thanks so much

An oceanview cabin may be a good alternative, and lower cost.

Archived