Is a balcony a must for Alaska?

Canadianweaselette

Our first 12 Alaska cruises were in Insides or Oceanviews. I hated the Insides but sometimes that's all the budget would allow - the Oceanviews were okay. Two years ago we got a Balcony for the first time (we'd had Balconies in the Caribbean so understood the concept), and because we now have the budget to do it, we'll never go back. BUT, if you have to choose between a Balcony or high-quality excursions, go for the excursions!

We are taking our first cruise and knowing my husband - I knew we needed a balcony ... He's an intense birder and needs the instant access... He's also a very private person and having to navigate other guests to be outside is not his preference ..

make sure you look for the golf balls in the tree's. those are the eagles. :)

make sure you look for the golf balls in the tree's. those are the eagles. :)

Thanks - while I think it'll be cool to see so many eagles - he's not nearly as interested in them but I know we'll have not trouble spotting them!

I think my next step will be to figure out excursions and itinerary before deciding on ship and cabin.

Good idea - here is a website that can help you www.cruiseportinsider.com

Now you are going to be faced with which Glacier to visit - Hubbard, Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier and one way vs RT Seattle vs Vancouver - - decisions decisions :D

We are taking our first cruise and knowing my husband - I knew we needed a balcony ... He's an intense birder and needs the instant access... He's also a very private person and having to navigate other guests to be outside is not his preference ..

An alternative thought for others, he is also, missing out completely on at least 50% of potential views.

As a suggestion, he should really get out on a forward deck coming into Ketchikan, at least an hour prior to port time. both sides have good potential for eagles. (coming north), stay out an additional hour going south.

On our AK cruise we found that the balcony only let us see one side of the ship. Being on deck we found ourselves going from side to side.

for me, this was found out YEARS ago. :) I don't have any budget limitations and can get all the balconies I want. I' cheap, and prefer to pay for only what I need.

But I will never give up the most viewing, which is my priority, so far more expansive viewing, is always my selection- out on deck. Terrible for me to view through glass as well.

Have to figure out, what EACH of us wants.

An alternative thought for others, he is also, missing out completely on at least 50% of potential views.

As a suggestion, he should really get out on a forward deck coming into Ketchikan, at least an hour prior to port time. both sides have good potential for eagles. (coming north), stay out an additional hour going south.

I'm sure he will go out daily and like you point out in every thread, will do what works for him.

I guess I could provide a but more info on us and budget...

At the time of the cruise it will be DH (47) and myself (39), possibly DS (10).

Right now I don't have a budget set because I have no idea what this will cost us, hence starting early with research. If I find a balcony is a "need" then I'd be willing to postpone a year to save up more.

We have been on one 4 day Bahamas with DCL and in 2014 we will be taking a 9 day E. Caribbean with NCL. We do not enjoy crowds which is why we chose a smaller ship this time.

I will also say that Alaska us DH's dream so I have no idea what I've gotten myself into trying to plan this ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk 2

My opinion only, but "postpone" to me, is alarming. Sorry but I never do this. If I want to go, I go. In Dec I was in a severe car accident, that I just got out of inpt rehab, last week. 15 weeks of "incarceration". :) During all this time, I was so glad, I never "waited" to do anything, and did, what I wanted, at the time. Now, I am ready to go again, for there were many days, I really didn't know if that would ever happen.

So, consider living for, and enjoying today.

My opinion only, but "postpone" to me, is alarming. Sorry but I never do this. If I want to go, I go. In Dec I was in a severe car accident, that I just got out of inpt rehab, last week. 15 weeks of "incarceration". :) During all this time, I was so glad, I never "waited" to do anything, and did, what I wanted, at the time. Now, I am ready to go again, for there were many days, I really didn't know if that would ever happen.

Quoted for reinforcement :) I do my best to live by "Life is uncertain, so eat dessert first". BQ has reminded us all how fragile everything is that we take for granted.

If it means delaying your cruise to AK by a year (which might then lead to another year delay....) don't wait. Grab it, do it. Trust that whatever cabin you book will be exactly what you are supposed to be in.

My late DH used to say he could vacation when he retired. He did not live to retirement age :(

BQ, welcome back to the "outside" -- so glad you are improving!

Thank you for the reminder to live in the moment. I certainly do that, but I also have to be cognizant of ensuring I don't put us in too much debt for a vacation.

Vacations are memories for me. I went to Ireland solo 12 years ago and went into debt to pay for it...best decision ever!! I just want to make sure we do Alaska right the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk 2

Glad to hear you are doing better and on the road to recovery. I hope you will be able to make your usual trips to Alaska this summer.

Last year I was standing on deck in Glacier Bay and thought to myself, "My mother would love this!" We've been saying for years that "someday" we'd go on a cruise together. She had turned 70 that February, and although we (my sisters and mom and I) had thought about a cruise to celebrate her 70th, it was bad timing for most of us, for various reasons. At that point, admiring the beauty of Glacier Bay, I decided that I wasn't going to wait for "someday" any more. This July we are going back to Glacier Bay and my mother will be with us!

We've done both. On a late July cruise, we had a balcony and enjoyed it very much as the weather was Chamber of Commerce like. On our early June cruise last year, we decided that an oceanview cabin would be a better value as it was much colder and we would have utilized the benefits of a balcony. So for me, it depends on what time of the year you'd be traveling.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but one advantage to an inside cabin would be possibly much better for sleeping. Personally, I like a balcony but my adult daughter went on an Alaskan cruise with her husband and they really liked having an inside cabin for sleeping late. Esp. in some months, looong days and short nights on these trips.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but one advantage to an inside cabin would be possibly much better for sleeping. Personally, I like a balcony but my adult daughter went on an Alaskan cruise with her husband and they really liked having an inside cabin for sleeping late. Esp. in some months, looong days and short nights on these trips.

good point. I sleep like a baby on my cruises. 95% are inside and that is great for day time naps. I just turn the tv too the channel that shows the bow of the ship to know what the weather is. a nightlight does help for these cabins.

good point. I sleep like a baby on my cruises. 95% are inside and that is great for day time naps. I just turn the tv too the channel that shows the bow of the ship to know what the weather is. a nightlight does help for these cabins.

Yes, the insides would be great for sleeping. I am sure I could stay in an inside cabin with no problems as long as I stayed healthy. We have only used our cabin to sleep and change clothes. Otherwise we are out and about all day, either in port or on the ship. However, my concern would be what if I got sick on board and was quarantined to my cabin. I really think it would bother me to not be able to see outside for hours (maybe days :eek:) on end. On our last cruise we booked the HH cabin on HAL's Amsterdam and at the time we booked it, it was cheaper than the inside. My daughter is cruising on the Volendam this summer and got the HH for $50 more than the cheapest inside. To me, it is worth it to have some access to the outside world in case one of us were to get sick and be confined to our cabins. The thing about HH cabins is HAL does not release them initially. It seems like they become available at about four months before sailing. You have to choose carefully so as not to be under the galley. Some have better views of the outside than others. However, at least you do get some natural light and can see outside a little bit. These have definitely become our favorite thrifty cabins.

I have cruised to Alaska twice - both times in an inside cabin. So, no it is not a must. Both of the cruises were fantastic and I spent very little time in the cabin. The views are best enjoyed from up top. The first time I chose an inside cabin because I was in the cabin alone and had to pay the supplement. The second time, my travel companion was on a budget, so we chose an inside. I knew it would be fine because I had already done it once and it was great. I say spend the money on great excursions.

My first two cruises were ocean view cabins. I got them at a great price and didn't know any better. My 3rd cruise I found a great deal on a Junior Suite (with a balcony) on NCL for the Pacific Northwest. I have never looked back. I'm in the camp that if I can't afford a balcony, I will wait until I can. I don't do the trivia games, lectures, auctions, etc. I do play bingo (usually just once as it's expensive). But I do like to sit out on the balcony and read, sip a glass of wine or just watch the ocean/scenery go by. I would not be happy up on deck with lots of people milling around. I value my privacy and do spend a lot of time on the balcony, even for the New England/Canada coast where we had torrential rains.

And I don't do very expensive excursions either. My first cruise to Alaska we didn't book one excursion. I did end up going on one in Ketchikan because her van was parked right at the pier with a sign "Native Tour" for $15 so I took it. I think the only excursion I did on our 2nd cruise was to Jeff King's Husky Homestead through Holland America for $45 pp.

I'm not interested in flight seeing (wouldn't get me in a small airplane or helicopter), wouldn't get me walking on a glacier, or hiking in Denali (Bears are not in cages there). I'm perfectly content to see Denali from inside the bus.

I would suggest you start by going to the library, research what the different Alaska ports have to offer. Then start a graph chart with the various cruiselines/ships across the top, then put the things of importance down the side (size of ship, cabin type, cost, ports, times in port, excursions/sights to see) etc. As you research put an "x" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research one should have more "x's" than the others.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip. Alaska is the prize, anyway you see it!

My answer is that if taking an inside was the only way that I could afford to do the trip properly, I would take the inside. However, AK is one place where having a balcony is in my opinion worth the cost.

Bottom line - I usually do not take balconies but take outside window cabins. However, if were an inside or window and doing AK versus a balcony and not doing AK, I would drop the balcony.

On one trip to AK, we sat on our balcony while we were in port and watched sea otters swimming around. Can't beat that!!

DON

Indeed, the best advice - do what you think is best for you. Learn for next time what is best for you! Keep in mind that what was previously best for you may change as time goes on.

We did inside cabins on a couple of youthful Caribbean cruises. As others have pointed out, it worked for us because we didn't spend much time in them! Waking up was a shock, though....no external cues to know instinctively about what time it was.

We have done balconies on the (relatively few compared to others) cruises since then. We enjoy eating breakfast on our balcony. Restful start to the day. We certainly don't spend our time hiding in the room - but it's nice to have that outside view whenever you happen to glance over.

My DH *was* sick (touch of vertigo and seasickness) the first day of our Alaska cruise (which was a full sea day). I sat on the balcony working (yep....something that needed doing, and it was a good time to knock it off and not have to worry about it when I got back) while he slept. I got to watch the scenery and keep an eye on him.

I need to see the outside, and I know it. I like to have my desk at or near a window for both my home and work offices. I have really disliked the office environments I've been in where I couldn't see the outside. Made me really antsy.

Another thing about a balcony...sleeping with the door open. Only works on cruiselines that don't allow smoking in rooms or balconies, though. There are a few out there, and that's who we stick with. Otherwise, the other poster was correct - can really be a waste of a balcony if you're stuck next to smokers.

We have never cruised without a balcony and wouldn't start that in Alaska! One thing I can recommend though is that there is a big difference to me between a regular balcony and and an aft or forward balcony. In a regular one you can only see one side and on a one way cruise may miss a lot. In an aft or forward your view is much wider and I am hoping it will serve us well in July when we are on the Millie to Seward.

We were lucky enough to snag a family view aft balcony room that has a HUGE balcony and appears to have amazing views.

So this is only my opinion and I am speaking from my experience -you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Good luck!

Susan

Archived