Queen Mary 2 Delayed in Cape Town

cruiser101101

I went to go take a look at Queen Mary 2 in Cape Town today (11 April)

and naturally she looked awesome in the Cape Town skyline :) :D

At about 18:30 she started pulling away from the pier, however a few minutes later she started coming back. One of the port authorities told me that it would not be leaving due to the strong wind. This is the second consecutive time that QM2 has been delayed in Cape Town.

Strangely enough we haven't had wind like that in Cape Town in a while.

I certainly hope this doesn't scare Cunard away from Cape Town as the South Africans absolutely love seeing Queen Mary 2 in Durban, Port Elizabeth and the best of all, the Mother City, Cape Town.

That's strange and hard to believe that a ship like her, having especially been built for North Atlantic crossings and severe weather conditions in general, did not leave on time because of strong winds ... Yes, it is very impressive to see her in the Cape Town panaroma and I will not forget this part of my 2011 world cruise, together with all the natural beauty of South Africa.

However, it is also hard to believe that Cunard will not include cruises to South Africa anymore - I am sure that there is a lot of demand.

Anyway, she is now on her way to Namibia and I wish I was aboard.

Thanks for the message!

That's strange and hard to believe that a ship like her, having especially been built for North Atlantic crossings and severe weather conditions in general, did not leave on time because of strong winds ... Yes, it is very impressive to see her in the Cape Town panaroma and I will not forget this part of my 2011 world cruise, together with all the natural beauty of South Africa.

However, it is also hard to believe that Cunard will not include cruises to South Africa anymore - I am sure that there is a lot of demand.

Anyway, she is now on her way to Namibia and I wish I was aboard.

Thanks for the message!

Certainly not strange and has absolutely NOTHING to do with her sea keeping qualities. A ship of that size in a narrow waterway is at huge risk from extremely string winds and thankfully captains are not fools, they will either cancel a visit, delay it or if a gale is imminent and they are in harbour... If possible they would put to sea early or if nor possible they would ensure there are addittional mooring lines to make sure the ship is secure.

Suffice it to say I disagree with you ;)

DEPARTURE of ship:QUEEN MARY 2

Port:CAPE TOWN

Time:Apr 11 2013 10:26PM (UTC)

Certainly not strange and has absolutely NOTHING to do with her sea keeping qualities. A ship of that size in a narrow waterway is at huge risk from extremely string winds and thankfully captains are not fools, they will either cancel a visit, delay it or if a gale is imminent and they are in harbour... If possible they would put to sea early or if nor possible they would ensure there are addittional mooring lines to make sure the ship is secure.

Suffice it to say I disagree with you ;)

DEPARTURE of ship:QUEEN MARY 2

Port:CAPE TOWN

Time:Apr 11 2013 10:26PM (UTC)

OMG - it goes without saying that captains in general know what they are doing; I did not question the justification of this decision. What I do not understand is why ships behave differently in stormy weather at sea and on waterways, but maybe you know. ;)

OMG - it goes without saying that captains in general know what they are doing; I did not question the justification of this decision. What I do not understand is why ships behave differently in stormy weather at sea and on waterways, but maybe you know. ;)

Simple and quick answer is that in open seas the master will point the bow into the wind and ride out the storm. Failure to do this in heavy seas will spoil everyones day.

In a confined waterway, leaving harbour etc the ship is travelling at very slow speeds, it has a high superstructure and those winds will have a huge effect on the ship's handling there is NO option to just point the bow into the wind.

The speeds these ships usually cruise at will sometimes allow the ship's master to make up the lost time that they remained in harbour.

Think back to that storm force wind (Sandy) that closed New York harbour. On that day I believe the Queen Mary left early, before the port was closed. It is simply good seamanship to recognise the powers of mother nature and know when to fold!

Simple and quick answer is that in open seas the master will point the bow into the wind and ride out the storm. Failure to do this in heavy seas will spoil everyones day.

In a confined waterway, leaving harbour etc the ship is travelling at very slow speeds, it has a high superstructure and those winds will have a huge effect on the ship's handling there is NO option to just point the bow into the wind.

The speeds these ships usually cruise at will sometimes allow the ship's master to make up the lost time that they remained in harbour.

Think back to that storm force wind (Sandy) that closed New York harbour. On that day I believe the Queen Mary left early, before the port was closed. It is simply good seamanship to recognise the powers of mother nature and know when to fold!

So it's a question of speed.

Yes, I very well remember Sandy, when QM2 left earlier. Great ship with great crew!

:)

The point is that a ship can be far more vulnerable casting off than at sea. There can even be problems when actually tied up. Just look at the surface area of QM2 and image how much force will be applied by a quite moderate wind.

I have seen even QM2 call up tugs during a sudden wind storm.

David.

This shows the damage to the QM2 at Zeebrugge on 21/7/09 when a squall hit the ship and caused the ropes to break and hit the dock.

2i1gpx3.jpg

More pics and information here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036405

QM2 is one of the most solid, if not the most solid ships in the world.

Altogether, I have spent about half a year on her without the slightest problem.

Captain Bates made that point after the bump in Zeebrugge, if that had happenned to any other ship it would have made a hole. Thankfully we were able to continue to on our voyage only a few hours late.

That looks like the stern quarter which might suggest the bowlines broke , the bow might have swung out making the stern swing toward the jetty. Was the gangway still out and if so were there any casualties.

I am surprised those ropes broke but never under estimate the power of the wind. Usual procedure is to possibly double up the lines but mother nature will sometimes have the last word :(

That looks like the stern quarter which might suggest the bowlines broke , the bow might have swung out making the stern swing toward the jetty. Was the gangway still out and if so were there any casualties.

I am surprised those ropes broke but never under estimate the power of the wind. Usual procedure is to possibly double up the lines but mother nature will sometimes have the last word :(

Did you not read the information on the link I posted? :)

The wind was so powerful that it pushed the vessel away from the pier, with lines snapping and gangways falling into the water. (Luckily no one was injured, thanks to the fast actions of the security team at the gangways)

Did you not read the information on the link I posted? :)

:o:o:oGuilty as charged and I cannot explain how I missed that. I enjoy reading all these posts and usually look at every link.

I guess I enjoy looking at photographs and then trying to deduce what happened before reading the facts of that event. Looking at the image it showed the stern quarter which has been 'crushed' as opposed to a pierce type collision. I just deduced that the bow swung out , the stern was still secured which resulted in it being the pivot point which meant the stern was swung into the jetty,

By the bow going out, I then assumed if a gangway was in position it would fall into the water!

My memory is not what it once was but I was aware of a horrible previous incident involving the QM2 and a gangway and this was something I was concerned about when reading this incident.

Apologies for not noticing your link and I have given myself a good telling off.

The Gangways were attached to the ship but the main was was actually hitting the bottom. You are right it was the bow that moved out. Here are some pictures from on board. I was on deck 12 at the time waiting for a lift at stairway A when I felt the bump.

2ai4sir.jpg

dheoh1.jpg

2v13mms.jpg

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post those pictures. So many questions and now I have the date I was trying to find any information regarding this event.

I see in one picture you can make out the detail on one of the lines that parted.

The 'what if's' surrounding that incident just do not bear thinking about.

'If' anyone had been on the gangway when it gave-way.

'If' anyone had been anywhere and I mean anywhere near those ropes when they parted...... without any exaggeration the ropes could have so easily sliced through the bodies of anyone that they struck. It is a sickening thought but the forces involved are terrifying. No doubt we have all seen footage of cowboys playing with whips that cut through various items as they are 'cracked'

I am guessing that those ropes would probably be at least three inches in diameter and made of the very latest material. When they broke the ropes wfly through the air at amazing speeds and woe betide anything that got in their way. Not nice and lady luck was certainly shining down on that ship on that day.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post those pictures. So many questions and now I have the date I was trying to find any information regarding this event.

This shows the damage to the QM2 at Zeebrugge on 21/7/09 when a squall hit the ship and caused the ropes to break and hit the dock.

More pics and information here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036405

You've done it again! :)

... My memory is not what it once was but I was aware of a horrible previous incident involving the QM2 and a gangway and this was something I was concerned about when reading this incident. ...

Perhaps you are thinking of the gangway collapse that occurred at Saint-Nazaire, France on November 15, 2003 when construction of the QM2 was nearing completion. Tragically, sixteen people were killed in that accident.

Regards,

John.

You've done it again! :)
:DNice one and I confess to not having slept for 36hrs but no.... I am innocent this time.

I was hoping to find a link to a possible inquiry by the board of trade or equivalent as opposed to your link that gives a nice but very brief description.. I am curious as to whether the ship was preparing to get underway and yes I did finally read your informative link that was talking about passengers being stranded on the jetty. (I would guess the flailing ropes would have easily sliced through a coach if it were in the direct path)

If they were not preparing to slip and had delayed departure because of the weather conditions then had they doubled up their mooring lines?

Your nice link talks about buses on the jetty and can you recall if you were due to sail shortly after the passengers would have originally boarded ship had nothing untoward happened.

(please forgive my curiousity as this is not a common event although there is footage of a similar thing happening to a different cruise ship)

Your nice link talks about buses on the jetty and can you recall if you were due to sail shortly after the passengers would have originally boarded ship had nothing untoward happened.

(please forgive my curiousity as this is not a common event although there is footage of a similar thing happening to a different cruise ship)

I can't remember the actual time of the event but I think it was a hour or so before we were due to sail. Although you could see the weather coming I think it all happened too quick for them to get any more lines out.

I know a call went out from bridge, for all hand to emergancy moring stations. I can't remember if that was before or after the bump.

I'm not sure about the lines snaking across the quay when they sheared. They don't seem to have a great deal of elasticity (wouldn't work too well if they had. I think they would more likely to fall in their position.

I have seen a line part from a tug. It certainly did not snake in any way.

David.

I'm not sure about the lines snaking across the quay when they sheared. They don't seem to have a great deal of elasticity (wouldn't work too well if they had. I think they would more likely to fall in their position.

I have seen a line part from a tug. It certainly did not snake in any way.

David.

I have absolutely NO idea on what your experience is and how you make assumptions like that but I was on a ship during an exercise where we were being towed it matters not what we were being towed by but unfortunately the tow line parted just frrdof the ship, the line whipped inboard and took a sailor's leg from just below the knee-cap completely off, not a pretty sight but that rope never even slowed down as it whipped through the one leg. no one could figure out how he only lost the one limb but the other was not even marked....

Suffice it to say I could not disagree whith you more strongly...

You can see on this clip just how easily the rope

would more likely to fall in their position.

An report on the delayed departure can be found here: http://www.news24.com/Travel/South-Africa/Queen-Mary-2-departure-delayed-by-wind-20130412

A partial quote from that article:

"...This is yet another in a string of delayed cruises caused by severe wind conditions in Cape Town. In January 2013 MSC Cruises were severely delayed, with some cruises even being cancelled entirely due to unsuitable wind conditions forcing Port Authorities to ground vessels seeking to leave the narrow exit of the Table Bay harbour. Cruise liners are especially at risk when launching because of their height, which offers a lot of wind resistance, especially when combined with the narrow pathway that has to be negotiated in and out of Duncan Dock. The Queen Mary 2 is 72 metres in height, the equivalent of a 23-storey building..."

Archived