Two questions for the experts!

Groliv

Hey Folks!

We'll be cruising on the Carnival Liberty, and I have two questions:

1) Are we allowed to take snacks off the ship to eat while ashore? ie baked goods, fruits, etc...

2) We'll be flying in the same day as the cruise, but would like to bring wine onboard with us. Is there somewhere close to the port where we could buy two bottles of wine? Or any other suggestions? We fly in that morning and will head right to the port.

Thanks!:)

Hey Folks!

1) Are we allowed to take snacks off the ship to eat while ashore? ie baked goods, fruits, etc...

2) We'll be flying in the same day as the cruise, but would like to bring wine onboard with us. Is there somewhere close to the port where we could buy two bottles of wine? Or any other suggestions? We fly in that morning and will head right to the port.

1. No.

2. Yes.

1. fruit... is especially no, against the law to bring into any port, even to bring across state lines here at times. fruit flies and all that kind of worry. You sign the customs form saying you are not bringing fruit into the US when you get off the ship.. its the same going into other ports.

bring a box of cereal from the buffet.. its about the only legal snack that is free on the ship. It has to be SEALED.

Miami you will be downtown and there are some drug stores downtown, but not within walking distance of the port. If you are in a cab, they will stop with meter running. I took the bus from the airport in miami to downtown ($2 but you have to transfer, took close to a hour but I was not in a rush).. and took a cab to the ship.

You are not supposed to take the food off the ship. I bring my own snack bars if I need a little something to hold me over. They are sealed so not an issue.

As firefly said, wine is easy to get in FL, but you would have to ask a taxi driver to make a pit stop somewhere. From the airport to the port, there are no convenient stores.

Hey Folks!

Check the FAQ's on the website. Not sure on #1. We've carried off snacks in a purse or beach bag. On #2, I believe you are allowed one bottle of wine to be uncorked by Carnival. Any other bottles will be confiscated until you return back to home port but check the FAQ's.

1) Snacks - Like the previous poster said, the boxed cereals are a perfect snack. We have also brought Danish and Cinnamon rolls in Ziploc Bags for snacks... although there is a gray area there. I do bring snacks from home.. Granola Bars, Craisins, Goldfish crackers, etc.

2) Wine - each person can bring a bottle of wine. Just put it in your carry on. How are you getting to the port? A taxi driver can take you to the local market or wine store.

catrin

Check the FAQ's on the website. Not sure on #1. We've carried off snacks in a purse or beach bag. On #2, I believe you are allowed one bottle of wine to be uncorked by Carnival. Any other bottles will be confiscated until you return back to home port but check the FAQ's.

Don't ever go to Cabo, the local authorities check your bags when you get off the ship.

It's 1 bottle per person over 21, not 1 bottle. Corkage may or may not be charged (depends on the waiter).

1) Snacks - Like the previous poster said, the boxed cereals are a perfect snack. We have also brought Danish and Cinnamon rolls in Ziploc Bags for snacks... although there is a gray area there. I do bring snacks from home.. Granola Bars, Craisins, Goldfish crackers, etc.

2) Wine - each person can bring a bottle of wine. Just put it in your carry on. How are you getting to the port? A taxi driver can take you to the local market or wine store.

catrin

I cant think of any kind of danish that would not be breaking the law. Its not a suggestion.. its the law. Just because you got away with them in a ziplock bag and didnt have your carry off bag searched does not mean its ok. Even you admit its a gray away, so you know its against the laws of most countries.

I think the drug stores in Florida still sell wine. I know they used to, could be changed.

catrin

"Gray area" suggests room for conversation or negotiation. There will be no such opportunity with foreign port officials or US Customs. It is not worth saving a couple bucks. If it is open, throw it out.

Archived