How much do you use your tripod for Alaska?

emeltee

I'm definitely bring a tripod on our Alaska trip. There will be three photographers - my brother, DH & I. Wondering if we'll want more than one tripod, or if one will be enough for us.

We'll be doing the following where I could see a tripod would come in handy (although not all three of us are doing the same things, so knowing where a tripod would be a good idea will help us determine how many to bring):

PWS glacier trip

Whale Watching

Salmon fishing

Self drive to Yukon

When you are on a boat or the cruiseship, is it better to mount your camera or to have it on a strap?

I have found that tripods are very impractical on whale watching tours. Aside from the fact that the boat is constantly moving and vibrating, there is hardly any room to stand, much less set up a tripod. I would imagine this to be the same on any boat based excursion.

You may find use on your drive out to the Yukon if you wanted to take group shots, HDR, or other long exposures, but if you are creative, like using your car and a blanket as a tripod, you can probably get away without a tripod, much less am extra. I was able to get a long exposure shot of a waterfall by using a large rock.

Have fun!

PWS glacier trip

Whale Watching

?

Your tripod will be absolutely useless and everyone else on the boat will either be kicking the tripod, moving it, or generally hating you. If you need some sort of support, use a monopod which collapses to nothing or a chain pod which you can carry in your pocket.

DON

Okay - so we'll rethink the whole tripod thing and maybe look for a monopod. Well, I think we'll bring one tripod so we can get a few group shots.

I just played with my 80-200 lens yesterday. I've forgotten how heavy a lens can make the camera. I think I need to start working out my arms if I'm going to be holding a camera with a long lens.

Any suggestions on what to look for in a monopod?

BTW, we're doing the Harv & Marv tour, so hopefully there won't be any pushing and shoving, unless it's from one of my own kids horsing around!

I always take a small tripod of some sort for long exposures on the ship while wandering about in the dim early morning. However in four trips to Alaska, I have used a tripod on land twice and really needed one....well, never. The two times I used it I could have gotten by without it but I used it because I didn't want to have hauled the darn thing around for nothing!

Using a tripod or monopod on a pitching, crowded whale-watching boat will move your camera along with the boar and utterly fail to make you any new friends as people trip over it.

Get a sturdy pocket/tabletop tripod and skip the big one.

Dave

I always bring my tripod on cruises.

If weight while traveling was an issue, or if I did not have room for it, I would leave it behind. Since we live in Florida and drive to the ports, the weight of the tripod is not an issue as it would be if flying. Plus I always seem to have room for it in my suitcase.

Do I really "need" it? No, but it is nice to have and use on board during my sea-day photo adventure of the ship. I have never taken a tripod ashore except when I leave the ship to go home.

I rarely use a tripod for anything in daylight. My entire Alaska trip I only used a mini tripod a few times, and that was in order t otake a picture with myself in it whiel we were hiking.

I went on whale watching tours, bear viewing tours, glacier expeditions, and drove the Yukon as well in addition to other things.

I consider myself an advanced amateur, occationally taking paying photography jobs in addition to my "regular" job and saw no reason to take a tripod.

If your shooting wildlife, you will find it cumbersome and it will slow down your reaction time when adapting to what the animal is doing. Your set up time when you see a great shot will be longer, possibly causing you to miss a shot. When shooting scenery, unless using a ND filter on a waterfall or something along those lines, a tripod shoouldn't be neccesary.

I DID bring my full size tripod...but for one reason and one reason only; The chance to get pictures of the aurora and unfortuantely it was cloudy and overcast so that never happened. I would have absolutely died if I had the chance to shoot the aurora and didn't bring my tripod so there was no way I was not goign to bring it...just in case.

If your interested in what kind of pictures I got... with absolutely no tripod... here is the link to my Alaska photos

http://www.pbase.com/jpthomas27/alaska

I always bring my tripod on cruises.

If weight while traveling was an issue, or if I did not have room for it, I would leave it behind. Since we live in Florida and drive to the ports, the weight of the tripod is not an issue as it would be if flying. Plus I always seem to have room for it in my suitcase.

Do I really "need" it? No, but it is nice to have and use on board during my sea-day photo adventure of the ship. I have never taken a tripod ashore except when I leave the ship to go home.

I thought I would add that although I generally see no reason for a tripod most of the time, I agree with the above.

I too always have my tripod on cruises for the same reason. And like the above poster, I have never taken it off the ship either. It's fun to have on board, but I certainly don't "need" it.

If you're super intent on getting a tripod, you may want to pick this one up. I have one and I've used it a few times but it is easy to carry around since you can wrap it around your bag, etc. It supports up to 11lbs too, which should be plenty strong for any set up.

http://www.adorama.com/TPGPF.html

If you don't have head for a tripod already you can pick up the Joby head for it, or use any other head (I use my Manfrotto ballhead on mine).

Also, just as a suggestion check out the Redged monopods on their site too. They have a sale on a bunch. I picked up one of them and I love it. It retracts really small so it fits in luggage really easily.

Okay - so we'll rethink the whole tripod thing and maybe look for a monopod. Well, I think we'll bring one tripod so we can get a few group shots.

I just played with my 80-200 lens yesterday. I've forgotten how heavy a lens can make the camera. I think I need to start working out my arms if I'm going to be holding a camera with a long lens.

Any suggestions on what to look for in a monopod?

BTW, we're doing the Harv & Marv tour, so hopefully there won't be any pushing and shoving, unless it's from one of my own kids horsing around!

I am a profesional sports photographer and covered many events from a pitching boat. Hand holding a lens such as a 80-200 in this situation is by far and away the best option which will provide you with the best results. Just keep the shutter speed quite high (above 1/500s) and engage the image stabilisation on the lens (if your lens has this feature) to compensate for any movement from the boat. Do not be concerned with the length of time that you can hand hold it as you will not have it up to your eye for any great length of time. Dave is correct just buy a small table top tripod for the self timer pictures. Just take lots of pictures and leave the tripod/monopod behind as it will ruin your trip.

Cheers Rob

I always take a small tripod of some sort for long exposures on the ship while wandering about in the dim early morning. However in four trips to Alaska, I have used a tripod on land twice and really needed one....well, never. The two times I used it I could have gotten by without it but I used it because I didn't want to have hauled the darn thing around for nothing!

Using a tripod or monopod on a pitching, crowded whale-watching boat will move your camera along with the boar and utterly fail to make you any new friends as people trip over it.

Get a sturdy pocket/tabletop tripod and skip the big one.

Dave

What small tripod do you use on the ship?

I did the Harv & Marv (loved it) and hand held my camera. There is absolutely no room on that tiny boat for a tripod unless you are the ONLY passenger. No time for a monopod. This is fast action from a bobbing boat. Hand held is the only way I would go. You will miss many shots while fiddling with a monopod or a tripod.

I have never taken a tripod or monopod on any cruise. For all cruises I use a 28-300 Image Stabilized lens even on a whale watching ship. Never had any issues. In lower lighting areas I use RAW+JPEG with a much higher ISO setting. This lets me use a faster shutter speed. YMMV. I also use a 10-20MM lens for most interior shots. I don't do Lido Deck Shots!

Archived