New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

Once you understand how the Ship's Kitchens operate by taking the Behind the Scenes tour you might change your thoughts on how food is priced and served on the Ship. The NCL Chef's are very proud of their kitchens which are clean, sanitary and well run from what I have seen so far.

Change only occurs when a Force is applied to objects. Behind the scenes the NCL Chefs are looking at all the food that is not eaten as it must then be disposed of. Also uneaten food is money thrown overboard.

Imagine you spent a cruise in the dishwashing rooms to observe what was not being eaten by your guests. I am pretty sure you when then change your menues accordingly to reduce food waste. If too much meat was going in the trash then a better cut or smaller portions would be a good answer to reduce waste in the Kitchen.

Cold dishes being served is often the result of a single person not paying attention to their job, either a worker or a supervisor is overlooking the quality details and practices of the NCL Kitchen (Galley). I always tell the work staff they are doing well when my meals are served correctly; when served incorrectly I direct my attention to the Chef's and Line supervisors as only they have the authority to correct the problem to that serve can be improved for the next meal. Complaining does not help the crew. Raising particular issues helps the crew make the journey more pleasant for all.

The Law of Economics apply equally throughout the Universe. When Demand is higher than Supply costs will rise.

With the inclusion of The Haven on the Breakaway there is now a Haven Restaurant which, after reading the breakfast and dinner menus, seems to be an upgrade from Cagney's menues.

I feel that perhaps the Cagney's menu was moved down a slight notch to accommodate the changing taste of passengers. The Haven Restaurant menu is a large upgrade from Cagney's menu to provide a bit more separation to the class of service. (I will be talking with the Chef's whenever possible on board to make sure they are at the top of their game; "What's Cooking?")

Cruise travel is close quarters living as there is no alternative of "going next door" for a better meal. So smile and infect other passengers and the crew with a smile which will make the whole ship seems so much more the way you would like it to be.

(insert awkward segue here)

While on the Star I was enjoying the Tempenyaki bar with my family. The menu had instructions for folding a Parrot or a Seahorse Origami figure. Our table was having trouble folding the figure and word got about that even the crew had not been able figure out the folding correctly.

Having tried to learn Origami as a child I remembered the missing step and soon folded all the menus around the table. The crew ask for a demonstration on how to fold the figure too. Afterwards during the cruise the crew would stop me as I passed by the restaurant to ask for folding lessons. Everyone was smiling and happy to learn a new tool for their job. Smiles and thank you's accompanied about the ship whenever I need something from the crew.

Be gracious and polite to the crew with "please" and "thank you" or a smile as Etiquette dictates and they will response with going out of their way to see that you are treated well on board. A kind word to their supervisor after or during dinner will boost crew moral and improve your service throughout the ship. But snap at any of the crew, or fellow passengers, for something they had no control over because you are having a bad day, or because you are a lout, and, well, let's just stick with the Golden Rule while on board...(Though I still believe that lounge chair hogs and campers should have run a wet towel snapping Gauntlet but the Captain keeps telling me, "next cruise, next cruise...)

Edited by UntrainedBrain

Certified Angus Beef is a brand designation, established by the ranchers themselves, with their own self-defined criteria. In some cases, it can denote a slightly higher quality of meat. Though you can have higher quality beef that isn't CAB --- If the particular rancher simply doesn't participate in the CAB brand. Certainly, in many cases, CAB is superior to the generic "angus beef" being peddled cheaply in the supermarket.

But the much more important designation of meat quality is the USDA grade.

I'd MUCH rather have a US Prime, Non-CAB, than to have US Choice CAB.

I think when many people presume that the CAB is superior, it's because they are buying US Choice CAB, and comparing it to US Select, non-CAB at the supermarket.

Naturally, Choice is going to be better than Select, regardless of whether it is CAB or not.

But is CAB choice going to be better than non-CAB Choice? Eh, not necessarily. Because there are great ranchers that don't participate in the CAB brand.

Is CAB choice going to be better than non-CAB prime? Absolutely not.

Most true steakhouses (not talking about Outback) primarily use US Prime cuts.

Cagney's is being deliberately obtuse about the cut of their meats.... I'm guessing they primarily use Choice cuts.

That's not to say it will taste bad. Choice is a pretty decent cut of meat --- But it is not extraordinary. It's what you would get in most chain restaurants, Outback, Applebee's.

The truth is, I wouldn't expect Cagney's to serve true Prime meats -- They are expensive. A "good" steakhouse meal will often cost $80-$100 per person.

So looking at the $30 upcharge... plus a subsidy from your cruise fare (say $25) -- You're basically getting a meal worth about $55. Priced about right for a meal maybe a step or two above Outback, but several steps below a true high quality steakhouse.

I will be trying out the Cagney's menu regardless. Has anyone on here tried the new one?

NCL advertises Certified Angus Beef (CAB), I know not all agree, I do believe it is superior to most non-certified in a particular grade. I almost exclusivly buy (CAB USDA Choise) at home because I can tell the difference.

My question though is the statement by NCL..."our own 28 day aging specifications."

The meat supplier must deliver the CAB already aged? It doesn't say they age it on board, just that it is aged to their specs. If I want to buy aged CAB at home it is too expensive for me unless a special occasion (Aged CAB USDA Prime-rib for Christmas a couple $100 for a 4 rib roast from the small end, cook to 137 degrees over 5 hours, very much worth the trouble and money).

Is all Cagney's CAB 28 day aged or just certain cuts?

I would like to hear from someone with first hand knowledge on this subject.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

I will be trying out the Cagney's menu regardless. Has anyone on here tried the new one?

NCL advertises Certified Angus Beef (CAB), I know not all agree, I do believe it is superior to most non-certified in a particular grade. I almost exclusivly buy (CAB USDA Choise) at home because I can tell the difference.

My question though is the statement by NCL..."our own 28 day aging specifications."

The meat supplier must deliver the CAB already aged? It doesn't say they age it on board, just that it is aged to their specs. If I want to buy aged CAB at home it is too expensive for me unless a special occasion (Aged CAB USDA Prime-rib for Christmas a couple $100 for a 4 rib roast from the small end, cook to 137 degrees over 5 hours, very much worth the trouble and money).

Is all Cagney's CAB 28 day aged or just certain cuts?

I would like to hear from someone with first hand knowledge on this subject.

Jon

The only cut that is not CAB aged to specs is the Filet. The Filet has never been Angus. Dispute all the noise on this thread you will be able to enjoy a far better cut of beef then the last few years. As a test I was able to cut my ribeye with my fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Was on the NCL Pearl last week and had the new menu. Had previously eaten at Cagneys, but it was four or so years ago, so I can't compare directly.

I really enjoy visiting higher end steakhouses whether locally or on vacation, so that's what I'll compare it to.

I had the ribeye medium rare, wife had the NY Strip medium, both were cooked to correct temperature. I added the au poivre butter and chimichurri sauce, and the steak was on par with the best I've ever had. I'm comparing that to El Gaucho or The Met in Seattle, or The Palm or CraftSteak in Vegas. It was really really good.

The Wagyu Beef Sliders and shrimp cocktail were also a highlight and would not have been out of place at any high end steakhouse.

The rest of the food we tried included crab salad, wedge salad, mac&cheese, creamed corn, onion rings, oreo cheesecake, brownie.

While none of those items were bad, they wouldn't reach your table at nicer steakhouse.

I didn't mind the $30pp charge, and was actually tempted to eat there a second night but had too large of a lunch to make it worthwhile.

The taste and quality of the steak made it worthwhile to us, but I realize all of the accompaniments are just as important to some, and they may be left disappointed.

Edited by drrew

Was on the NCL Pearl last week and had the new menu. Had previously eaten at Cagneys, but it was four or so years ago, so I can't compare directly.

I really enjoy visiting higher end steakhouses whether locally or on vacation, so that's what I'll compare it to.

I had the ribeye medium rare, wife had the NY Strip medium, both were cooked to correct temperature. I added the au poivre butter and chimichurri sauce, and the steak was on par with the best I've ever had. I'm comparing that to El Gaucho or The Met in Seattle, or The Palm or CraftSteak in Vegas. It was really really good.

The Wagyu Beef Sliders and shrimp cocktail were also a highlight and would not have been out of place at any high end steakhouse.

The rest of the food we tried included crab salad, wedge salad, mac&cheese, creamed corn, onion rings, oreo cheesecake, brownie.

While none of those items were bad, they wouldn't reach your table at nicer steakhouse.

I didn't mind the $30pp charge, and was actually tempted to eat there a second night but had too large of a lunch to make it worthwhile.

The taste and quality of the steak made it worthwhile to us, but I realize all of the accompaniments are just as important to some, and they may be left disappointed.

Ity is sounding good to me.

Sounds great to me.

Just wondering. Are you saying the onion rings are not as good as those that Ruth's Chris and Morton's has on their menu and that the creamed corn is not as good as what Morton's serves? I love the Wedge Salad that The Palm serves, was it not as good at Cagney's?

Sounds great to me.

Just wondering. Are you saying the onion rings are not as good as those that Ruth's Chris and Morton's has on their menu and that the creamed corn is not as good as what Morton's serves? I love the Wedge Salad that The Palm serves, was it not as good at Cagney's?

It is remarkable some expect Morton's for $30. Sides and Salads $6.50 to $10.00each, shrimp cocktail $17, ribeye $43, plus dessert, plus tax, plus tip.

It is remarkable some expect Morton's for $30. Sides and Salads $6.50 to $10.00each, shrimp cocktail $17, ribeye $43, plus dessert, plus tax, plus tip.

Who expects Morton's for $30. I've eaten there a lot and it is considerably more. Since the poster said these sides wouldn't reach your table at a high end restaurant, I wondered how they compared to a high end restaurant like Morton's, Ruth's Chris and The Palm, who also serve these sides.

Sounds great to me.

Yes, the onion rings, creamed corn, and wedge salad were not on par with what you'd expect from Mortons or Ruth's Chris or The Palm. That's not to say they were bad, they were perfectly acceptable, they just weren't Mortons or The Palm good. Hope that makes sense.

I would just say that NCL and Cagney's compares themselves to Mortons or other high end places.

At a cooking demonstration onboard the ship, the head chef specifically claimed eating at Cagney's was equivalent to a $250-$300 meal on shore.

While I took that as a bit of hyperbole, it was still said, and could lead to disappointment among some guests.

I would just say that NCL and Cagney's compares themselves to Mortons or other high end places.

At a cooking demonstration onboard the ship, the head chef specifically claimed eating at Cagney's was equivalent to a $250-$300 meal on shore.

While I took that as a bit of hyperbole, it was still said, and could lead to disappointment among some guests.

Obviously the head chef doesn't get out much to great steak restaurants, like Mortons, The Palm, Ruth's Chris, etc., or else he would have never made that statement.

When NCL opened the specialty restaurants, they were accused of downgrading the MDR food to drive business to the pay venues.

Now they are accused of downgrading the food in the pay venues ------

What do you think ??? Are they trying to drive business back to the MDR's???????

Some people just don't accept change and come up with many reasons not to like ANY changes......:eek:

I think we are seeing the beginnings of pay restaurants including the MDR and the only place for free food will soon be the buffet line. at least on NCL

and this surprises you? Obviously the bookings for Cagneys were low that cruise and it was a bid to get more reservations without having to offer a deal...like the Spa needs to do when their bookings are low.

The chef was probably choking on his words, knowing how false they were, of course the chef can always hide behind the "it was only my opinion" argument.

sad how they are ruining Cagneys

Who expects Morton's for $30. I've eaten there a lot and it is considerably more. Since the poster said these sides wouldn't reach your table at a high end restaurant, I wondered how they compared to a high end restaurant like Morton's, Ruth's Chris and The Palm, who also serve these sides.

I think the better version is "who is willing to pay $30 for a meal that is similar to a less expensive meal that can be had at the Outback?"

We were just on the Sun and had steaks from East Meets West delivered to our suite while cruising Canada's Inside Passage on our way back to Vancouver from Alaska. I'm not sure whether it was the old or new menu.

DH chose the Mexican Caesar salad in a tortilla bowl ("Wonderful!", he said). I had the shrimp cocktail (big shrimp!). My steak was a 5 oz. fillet, and DH had the 8 oz., both without any of the added sauces. Both were perfectly cooked. We have no idea whether they were prime or whatever, just that they were excellent and well worth the $30 charge! We also had broccoli (me) and green beans (DH) and baked potatoes (for both) with all the trimmings. For desert, the Creme Brulee, naturally! ;) Wow, wow, wow, what a wonderful way to end our favorite cruise ever on our favorite ship!

We gladly paid the $30 and will again. :D

I think the better version is "who is willing to pay $30 for a meal that is similar to a less expensive meal that can be had at the Outback?"

I don't think The Outback is that close to Cagney's. Not to mention, that at The Outback, if you get an appetizer, entree (includes salad and potato) and dessert, it is over $30.

Certified Angus Beef is a brand designation, established by the ranchers themselves, with their own self-defined criteria. In some cases, it can denote a slightly higher quality of meat. Though you can have higher quality beef that isn't CAB --- If the particular rancher simply doesn't participate in the CAB brand. Certainly, in many cases, CAB is superior to the generic "angus beef" being peddled cheaply in the supermarket.

But the much more important designation of meat quality is the USDA grade.

I'd MUCH rather have a US Prime, Non-CAB, than to have US Choice CAB.

I think when many people presume that the CAB is superior, it's because they are buying US Choice CAB, and comparing it to US Select, non-CAB at the supermarket.

Naturally, Choice is going to be better than Select, regardless of whether it is CAB or not.

But is CAB choice going to be better than non-CAB Choice? Eh, not necessarily. Because there are great ranchers that don't participate in the CAB brand.

Is CAB choice going to be better than non-CAB prime? Absolutely not.

Most true steakhouses (not talking about Outback) primarily use US Prime cuts.

Cagney's is being deliberately obtuse about the cut of their meats.... I'm guessing they primarily use Choice cuts.

That's not to say it will taste bad. Choice is a pretty decent cut of meat --- But it is not extraordinary. It's what you would get in most chain restaurants, Outback, Applebee's.

The truth is, I wouldn't expect Cagney's to serve true Prime meats -- They are expensive. A "good" steakhouse meal will often cost $80-$100 per person.

So looking at the $30 upcharge... plus a subsidy from your cruise fare (say $25) -- You're basically getting a meal worth about $55. Priced about right for a meal maybe a step or two above Outback, but several steps below a true high quality steakhouse.

It's not even close to $25 for the daily food cost average. My last cruise was a whopping $10.58. I think they do very good on that amount of money per person.

and this surprises you? Obviously the bookings for Cagneys were low that cruise and it was a bid to get more reservations without having to offer a deal...like the Spa needs to do when their bookings are low.

The chef was probably choking on his words, knowing how false they were, of course the chef can always hide behind the "it was only my opinion" argument.

sad how they are ruining Cagneys

It's odd the agenda some people seem to have about these menu and price changes.

First, nowhere have I indicated any surprise about what was said by the chef, nor my meal at the restaurant.

Second, no deals were offered at Cagney's, nor any of the other premium restaurants which would seem to indicate you're pulling the "bookings are low" stuff our of your ---.

I was actually on the ship, I've actually eaten the new menu at Cagney's, and for me it was worth the $30pp. It's ok if others feel the value is no longer there, but the over the top negativity by people who haven't yet experienced the menu or haven't yet been on a ship to witness whether or not it's successful is laughable.

It's odd the agenda some people seem to have about these menu and price changes.

First, nowhere have I indicated any surprise about what was said by the chef, nor my meal at the restaurant.

Second, no deals were offered at Cagney's, nor any of the other premium restaurants which would seem to indicate you're pulling the "bookings are low" stuff our of your ---.

I was actually on the ship, I've actually eaten the new menu at Cagney's, and for me it was worth the $30pp. It's ok if others feel the value is no longer there, but the over the top negativity by people who haven't yet experienced the menu or haven't yet been on a ship to witness whether or not it's successful is laughable.

Ummm... Obviously you aren't amusing yourself with this thread. The agenda is clear... crystal. Someone really misses the six shrimp cocktail :p (135 posts and counting...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846502

Edited by kylenyc