La Bombonera is back

jcool

We were in OSJ a few weeks ago and saw their construction underway in the same location they were in previously. We went to Cafe Mallorca and the kiosk at Plaza De Armas to get our Mallorca fill..but we did miss LaBonbonera. We will be back for the day in October..we will have to stop in for a bite!

Lauri

• 2 months later...

Is La Bombonera better then Cafe Mallorca?

We will be in SJ in Oct of this year. Our plan is to go there for coffee, breakfast before we tour the forts! Want to make sure we go to the best place.:D

While this is certainly great news...... I hope they bring back the huge coffee machine contraption, the orange juicer and the waiters with bow ties...... I, for one, loved the vintage feel of the place and hope they don't lose that !!!!

Yes, the OJ was the best we ever had..though Cafe Mallorca is fantastic too! On our first trip we went to both and liked LaBonbonera better...but our second trip, LaBon was closed so we tried Cafe Mallorca again and LOVED it! We had a much better experience the second time around. If you are in OSJ two days, try both and you decide which is best!!

Its kind of like the forts..some swear by ElMorro (us) but some love SanCristobal

more!!

Enjoy OSJ! Lauri

I love both forts!

Part of the reason I'm flying down 2 nights prior to cruising is so I have plenty of time - all day Friday and most of Saturday.

I plan on going to La Bombonera one morning, then to one of the forts, and the next morning I'll go to Cafe Mallorca and the other fort! :D

I'm not even a history buff, but I love old forts. Doing a repeat of a tour in St Kitts the next day, mostly just to return to Brimstone Hill Fortress!

So, three days, three forts.

NCTribeFan,

Absolutely love St Kitts because of Brimstone Hill! The ride up is so much fun and then climbing to the top and seeing all that gorgeous ocean and St Eustasis! I have to go back! We hope to plan a B2B out of San Juan in winter of 2015 that will take us there! We will do your three day, three forts plan!

• 2 weeks later...
I love both forts!

Part of the reason I'm flying down 2 nights prior to cruising is so I have plenty of time - all day Friday and most of Saturday.

I plan on going to La Bombonera one morning, then to one of the forts, and the next morning I'll go to Cafe Mallorca and the other fort! :D

I'm not even a history buff, but I love old forts. Doing a repeat of a tour in St Kitts the next day, mostly just to return to Brimstone Hill Fortress!

So, three days, three forts.

My husband and I are flying in 2 nights prior to our cruise, and I think we will borrow your plans and make them our own! In St. Kitt's, we would also like to see Brimstone Hill fortress. Can you tell me what tour you are repeating? Thank you!

My husband and I are flying in 2 nights prior to our cruise, and I think we will borrow your plans and make them our own! In St. Kitt's, we would also like to see Brimstone Hill fortress. Can you tell me what tour you are repeating? Thank you!

I am not NCTribe, but I hope you will appreciate this comparison. We toured St Kitts with Thenford Grey and it was amazing! He is a very distinguished, classy gentleman and that is the kind of tour you will get with him.

Our other choice was to go with Royston. He is a younger guy who like to have fun, but keeps you very safe. His has a more lively, windows down, four wheeling tour to places that tourists do not usually see.

Though we enjoyed Thenford, we do like to have fun and will use Royston next time. Our friends LOVED him!

No matter who you choose, you will love St Kitts!

Hope that helps,

Lauri

This is such exciting news. We'll be in San Juan for two days precruise in September and I was disappointed they had closed. I did see the announcement last night on Yelp, but thought it was too good to be true. Maybe we'll try LaBombonera one morning and Cafe Mallorca the other morning.

Yes, Thenford Grey in St. Kitts. He's a very classy, knowledgeable gentleman, and I got a very nice email from him when I wrote to book for this cruise. I don't often do repeat excursions, but I'm going with him again in St Kitts and with Levi Baron in Dominica.

So, if anyone passes La Bombonera and sees signs of progress, please keep us updated. I do hope that by mid-November they'll have reopened!

• 3 weeks later...

Will be in San Juan on Saturday/Sunday. Is La Bombonera reopened? We went in April 2012 just before they closed and absolutely loved the food.

Would definately like to go back. We are staying at the Caribe so I don't want to journey all that way for nothing if they are still closed.

If they are not open, any suggestions for a similar breakfast?

Thanks In Advance

FYI, just got back from San Juan yesterday (August 5), and La Bombonera is still closed/under construction. We stayed in OSJ and walked past it several times - no sign posted stating opening date. The concierge at Hotel el Convento didn't know when it'd actually be opened.

We were bummed to find it still closed - we were looking forward to trying it!!

• 1 month later...

We will be in SJ Oct 2!!! Our original plan was to have breakfast at La Bombonera, then we found out it was closed. :(

We decided to have breakfast at Cafe Mallorca.

Then I read it may be reopening!!:eek:

Does anyone know if these 2 are close together? I would love to see if it was opened yet, then make our decision as to which to eat at. It would give me a chance to check on the status and report back here when I return.

Google them. There are lots of maps online of OSJ.

At one point, I found a map that had all the restaurant locations marked. I neglected to bookmark it or print it out then. :( I'll have to do that before I arrive in OSJ.

Nothing in OSJ is too far from anywhere else.