can a minor travel without a passport into Canada on NCL ?

OurDogCisco

if the cruise begins in canada but ends in U.S. can they travel with just a birth certicate? where can i fin this info on NCL's website. my friend was under the assumption that a birth certicate was enough. but the cruise website will not allow them to complete online registration without it. both parents will be traveling with the minor. thanks..

if the cruise begins in canada but ends in U.S. can they travel with just a birth certicate? where can i fin this info on NCL's website. my friend was under the assumption that a birth certicate was enough. but the cruise website will not allow them to complete online registration without it. both parents will be traveling with the minor. thanks..

Are they flying? All international airline flights, including those to or from Canada, require a passport...even for children. A BC would not suffice.

He cannot enter Canada by car without a passport.

He can not board a one way cruise form Canada to US without a passport.

He could take a closed loop cruise(round trip from same US port) without a passport.

Not just NCL...same answer if they tried other cruiselines.

Children under 15 can enter Canada with only a birth certificate by land or sea. They must have a passport only if entering by air. Amtrak accepted a birth certificate for entry into Canada. According to both the US and Canadian state departments websites AND the Port of Vancouver website, a child under 15 should be able to use a birth certificate only for this cruise. These rules are clearly stated, but NCL representitives continue to insist that a passport is necessary. The NCL website does not cover entry requirements for cruises from Canada to the USA.

By the way, I'm the OP's friend.

Cruise lines at times impose documentation requirements that go beyond what beyond what the laws and regulations mandate. For example, Regent Seven Seas cruises requires all passengers to have passports, even if the ship's itinerary is a closed loop cruise that can be legally taken by a US citizen with a birth certificate and drivers license. If NCL wants to require children under 16 to have passports even if the law permits them to travel on a birth certificate, it's within their right to do so.

He cannot enter Canada by car without a passport.

He can not board a one way cruise form Canada to US without a passport.

He could take a closed loop cruise(round trip from same US port) without a passport.

Not just NCL...same answer if they tried other cruiselines.

Canadian law technically permits US citizens to enter their country with a birth certificate. The issue is that US law will not permit reentry to the US with just a birth certificate. Here's the official word from the Canada Border Services Agency:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Non-Canadians

Requirements to Enter Canada

Tell us why you would like to come to Canada and we will provide you with the requirements to enter Canada that apply to your personal situation.

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

However, the US has a special exception for children under the age of 16. They are permitted to enter the US by land or sea with just a birth certificate. Here's the information from US Customs and Border Protection:

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Children: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

cant travel to canada without a passport cant re enter the USA without a passport in the less the cruise is closed looped.. Since it starts in canada ends in USA Not closed looped

There's an exception for children under the age of 16 that permits entry by land or sea with just a birth certificate. This is not limited to closed loop cruises. See my previous post.

Best thing to do buy the kid a passport it's good for 10 years cost around 120 aka 12 bucks a year will be coverd incase crap happens

I know my parents booked a Alaska cruise with stop in Canada and the excursion they booked in Alaska went into Canada and it said on the shore excursion site everyone must have a passport for this excursion

Best thing to do buy the kid a passport it's good for 10 years cost around 120 aka 12 bucks a year will be coverd incase crap happens

I know my parents booked a Alaska cruise with stop in Canada and the excursion they booked in Alaska went into Canada and it said on the shore excursion site everyone must have a passport for this excursion

Children's (issued prior to age 16) passports are only good for five years. They are slightly less expensive ...$80 plus a $25 execution fee.

If you don't take ashore excursion that crosses into Canada, a US citizen doesn't otherwise need a passport for a closed lop cruise departing a US port.

Children's (issued prior to age 16) passports are only good for five years. They are slightly less expensive ...$80 plus a $25 execution fee.

Plus $60 to have it expidited, so $165. It is also really only good for 4.5 years since most countries will not let you enter with less than 6 months until the passport expires.

cant travel to canada without a passport cant re enter the USA without a passport in the less the cruise is closed looped.. Since it starts in canada ends in USA Not closed looped

Correct. We drove to Canada and had to get passports for our teen children to do it. Times have changed, unfortunately. I didn't need one when I was a child.

DML

As previously stated the cruise lines can have their own requirements but according to, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

"If a U.S. citizen traveling to Canada does not have a passport, passport card, or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States.)

U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid U.S. passport.

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate. "

Of course there is this also:

"Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law."

Cruise lines at times impose documentation requirements that go beyond what beyond what the laws and regulations mandate. For example, Regent Seven Seas cruises requires all passengers to have passports, even if the ship's itinerary is a closed loop cruise that can be legally taken by a US citizen with a birth certificate and drivers license. If NCL wants to require children under 16 to have passports even if the law permits them to travel on a birth certificate, it's within their right to do so.

This is the key part. If the cruise line requires it, then it's required. Sometimes it's suggested, but not required.

Correct. We drove to Canada and had to get passports for our teen children to do it. Times have changed, unfortunately. I didn't need one when I was a child.

DML

If they were under 16 they did not need passports to enter Canada or return to the US by car. I've cited the US and Canadian regulations in post #10.

As previously stated the cruise lines can have Of course there is this also:

"Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law."

This is the key. The Canadians, as nice as they are, don't want to have to keep your teen if the U.S. determines that the birth certificate is not official or the school photo ID is not sufficient. They may and often do refuse entry to anyone without a passport, enhanced drivers license etc. If you are driving, check to see if a passport card would do. 6 weeks should be enough time unexpedited. If not, if you can get to the passport facilities in San Diego, LA or San Francisco it should be a pretty quick process.

Archived