*LIVE PHOTO BLOG* - Ben the Bendy Man's Breakaway Adventure April 28 to May 4, 2013

kylenyc

Day +1 - Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 6 pm

Heading out to sea

After a pleasant evening at dinner, Ben let his butler turn in early for the night. What a party animal!

P1000671y.jpg

Taste maining dining room - Oceanview table

P1000668y.jpg

Folks lined along the river back seeing us off

P1000673y.jpg

Fireboat flourish

P1000676y.jpg

Harbor captain/patrol leaving the ship?

P1000685y.jpg

Window in the studio cabin lets in mood lighting from the hall.

Day +2 - Monday, April 29, 2013 at 6 pm

Norwegian Breakaway arrives at City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, England

Kicked off... Err... Kindly asked to disembark

Ben woke up to announcements from the cruise director that he had to disembark. He nudged his sleepy butler to wake after a much needed 14 hours sleep immediately after dinner (What a party figurine!). He was a bit disappointed his butler had to repack and lug his human oddities over to a hotel for one day. He had held out hope that Norwegian might, at the late minute, at least allow them to store some luggage (or him) on board. This didn't happen but fortunately Ben had long planned a contingency... He was now off on a day trip in London and he didn't want to be late... want to be late...!

Disembarkation was quick if a bit stressful. Ben's concierge had to assert himself to avoid being cut in front of inline. New Yawkahs know how to queue! Crew members near the gangway were inconsistent in directing people to the end of the line, allowing some people to cut the line, directing others to the end of the line, and ignoring others... something he's seen before.

Ed: Between the 1-Day Escape from Rotterdam and the 7-Day Transatlantic, the Breakaway presumably entertained VIPs, press, media, and travel partners while remaining revenue passengers that were taking both cruises were required to disembark for a day with no option to stay on board even if they wanted to pay.

P1000686y.jpg

View of Southampton over the City Cruise Terminal from the Breakaway's Waterfront on a beautiful bright sunny day

P1000690y.jpg

P1000688y.jpg

P1000699y.jpg

P1000698y.jpg

P1000702y.jpg

City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, England

Edited by kylenyc

Averting danger walking to the hotel

It was about a 10 minutes walk from the terminal over to his hotel... The (Etap) IBIS Budget which could be seen in the distance along with the IBIS (Non-Budget Fancypants) Hotel (... yes that's the official name), Novotel, .... and McDonalds (one of the ?only? places serving food after 10 pm unless you count hotel vending machines).

Even after 14 hours sleep and his morning coffee, Ben's personal porter was still not quite caught up on sleep and plodded into a crosswalk only to remember that denizens of this strange and foreign land drive on the wrong side of the road (seriously). Fortunately there wasn't much morning traffic and he was much more vigilant after that.

P1000704y.jpg

IBIS and Novotel hotels off in the distance.

P1000711y.jpg

Norwegian Breakaway at City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, England

P1000710y.jpg

P1000709y.jpg

P1000714y.jpg

Need to be more careful crossing the street and look both ways. Even the bicycles go the wrong way!

P1000716y.jpg

Brits driving on the wrong side of the road... yup... mmmhmm... It's a documented fact... Saw it on NatGeo.

Edited by kylenyc

Hotel check-in and issues; Day trip to London

Ben checked into his hotel to find a clean, newly furnished, and mostly comfortable room. This hotel, formerly the Etap, is now owned by Accor Hotels which also operates Motel 6 in the USA. Being newly furnished, this particular hotel is MUCH nicer than the typical Motel 6 however it nickels and dimes in the worst way. One big issue is the shower door opens inward. His average framed servant had difficulty closing the stall door without contorting. Full figured folks will have a significant to impossible time and even average folks should be careful not to slip while trying to get the door closed.

There's no wifi available in the rooms. The wifi costs an additional £3 for 2 hours or £9 ($13.50) for 24 hours, and is only available in the hotel lobby. There's no coffee maker in the room and 8 oz of hot water costs an offensive £1.50 ($2.30). With the add-ons and inconveniences, the £40 ($61.50) a night for a single advanced reservation (they were completely sold out while the Breakaway and 3 other ships were in port) at the IBIS "Budget" Hotel no longer seems much of a bargain.

Ironically, if you've been following Ben on his adventure, you might know our bright bubbly blogger didn't even sleep in the bed, instead burning the midnight oil in the lobby.

After his personal porter dropped off his belonging at the hotel, Ben rushed over to the Southampton Central Station which was a short 5 minute shuffle from the hotel. He had pre-purchased his ticket for the 11:30 am hispeed to London but when he arrived at the self-service kiosk, it wouldn't accept his reservation. He had to go to a ticket agent but fortunately the line was short late morning. He got his ticket with 5 minutes to spare.

Ed: A day trip to London is quite doable but felt rather too short considering all that the city has to offer.

P1000720y.jpg

A newly furnished, clean, mostly comfortable room with challenging shower stall and no wifi or coffee maker.

P1000721y.jpg

The shower stall is small and the door opens inward making it difficult to enter exit without contorting and possibly slipping.

P1000723y.jpg

Short 10 minute walk over to Southampton Central Station.

P1000728y.jpg

Southampton Central Station, City Map - A paper map of this tourist map was available at the hotel (probably inside the station too) that shows the area attractions.

P1000729y.jpg

P1000733y.jpg

Hispeed to London

Our curious canary crusader and his sidekick arrived at London Waterloo Station an hour and a half later and quickly settled themselves on a bench to make use of the "free" wireless. There are several free wireless access points in the station, some of which require you to fork over your mobile phone number to receive an access code. A little trial and error and Ben's techie eventually found one that didn't, and began tapping away for a few hours trying to catch up on the blog.

After "checking-in" and posting some pictures to hopefully assuage Ben's modest of fandom, he headed outside to find his way slowly to the agent where could redeem his ticket to "The Original Tour" Hop-On Hop-Off sightseeing tour bus. The ticket agent was located 20 minutes walk in Trafalgar Square, so Ben look for attractions along the way including a "brief" first visit to the London Eye.

P1000737y.jpg

Ben rides on the smooth hi-speed to London ticket in hand! Yay!

P1000740y.jpg

Exiting the train and entering the main station.

P1000743y.jpg

Ben continually looks up at the clock impatiently as his techie blogs away on the free wireless for hours! He's only in London until 7:30 pm!

P1000744y.jpg

Leaving the station for a little walking sightseeing on the way to Trafalgar Square.

P1000745y.jpg

Outside the station. Not very impressive... oh but wait... there's more...

P1000750y.jpg

Walking around, Ben finds the station proper.

Ben I'm sure glad that you didn't let your personal assistant get hit by one of those cars driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)

Thanks! Me too! :eek: I stepped into at least a few crosswalks before getting into the habit of looking both ways. I wish I had taken of pictures of the cross walks near the terminal which had "LOOK RIGHT" panted in them but was still in a sleep deprived fog. But here's one similar.

4523412014_4316a5ec52.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Half-Day trip in London

P1000753y.jpg

Ben continues his way towards Trafalgar Square. Down the street from Waterloo, he spots the London Eye in the distance. Impressive!

P1000765y.jpg

As he approaches the landmark, Ben's extra careful to "LOOK RIGHT!"

P1000771y.jpg

He consults an area tourist map. "Now where did it disappear to?"

P1000776y.jpg

The London Aquarium nearby.

P1000798y.jpg

Using he keen powers of observation, Ben can tell by his bendy-senses that the London Eye is really really closeby! Now where is it? He thought it was this gianormous round thing.

P1000804y.jpg

Ben finally finds it. Scratching his head a little disappointed that it's not as big as he though, he tries to relive a happy memory and luck at the Slot Pull by giving the big wheel a spin chanting "Wheeeeeel... Oooof.... Fortuuuuuuuune!"

Edited by kylenyc

Half-Day trip in London

P1000799y.jpg

Ben inspires a mother and her boys as they try to outdo Ben at his own antics.

P1000809y.jpg

Try this!

P1000819y.jpg

After an inordinate amount of time playing at the London Eye, our wayward wander walks along the Thames River towards the Westminster Bridge, Palace of Westminster, and Big Ben.

P1000833y.jpg

Big Ben at Little Ben

P1000859y.jpg

The London Eye from Westminster Bridge

P1000872y.jpg

Palace of Westminster and Big Ben

Our silly sight seeker took nearly two hours to walk from Waterloo Station to The Palace of Westminster and Big Ben... What should have taken 15 minutes. He just can't resist the endless amusement of posing for silly photo ops.

Hi, Kyle, on this rainy NYC day........Did you have a Slot Pull on your BWAY cruise? Our winning GEM pull was a highlight. Wish I could join you in all your cruises, but will have to stick with what I have planned until I get to win a lottery. One can hope.........;) Sharon

Day +2 - Monday, April 29, 2013 at 5 pm

Half-Day trip in London

P1000912y.jpg

And Little Ben at Big Ben! Yay!

P1000919y.jpg

Ben strolls past Parliament Square and up Parliament Street

P1000918y.jpg

Parliament Street (Palace of Whitehall and administrative buildings)

P1000930y.jpg

Downing Street - Residences of the Prime Minister

P1000934y.jpg

P1000967y.jpg

Ben wonders what this red oddity is. People seem to enjoy taking the pictures beside it. Rumor has it it's the secret entrance to the Ministry of Magic or Time and Relative Dimension in Space(TARDIS).

Half-Day trip in London

By the time Ben and his slow photog arrived at the ticket agent for The Original Tour hop-on hop-off bus tour, there was only one last bus running and he had enough time to take a short 45 minute tour before catching the train back to Southampton. The tour bus was convenient but the sound system for the audio tour was poor especially riding outside with the traffic noise in the background. The narrator was difficult to hear, rather dull, monotone, and not very interesting to listen too. However, the bus was clean, comfortable, and offered the opportunity for Ben to see a last bit of London before hopping off at Waterloo catching the 7:30 pm back to Southampton.

P1000970y.jpg

Trafalgar Square

P1000977y.jpg

Admiralty Arch

P1000982y.jpg

Waiting for the hop-on hop-off

P1000984y.jpg

Last tour of the evening

P1000993y.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Half-Day trip in London

P1010020y.jpg

View of Tower Bridge from London Bridge

P1010033y.jpg

Crossing Tower Bridge

P1010029y.jpg

P1010041y.jpg

P1010044y.jpg

Over the Tower Bridge, around the Tower of London (Her Majesty's Royal Palace and Fortress)

P1010059y.jpg

Circled back towards Parliament Square and Westminster

Edited by kylenyc

Day +2 - Monday, April 29, 2013 at 10 pm

Half-Day trip in London

Ben caught the 7:30 pm train back to Southampton. After dropping of his manservant's belonging in the hotel, he took a 20 minute stroll over to the Duke of Wellington restaurant pub hoping to the catch some Cruise Critic members at the end of their pre-cruise gathering and dinner. By the time he arrived around 10 pm, most folks had left but there he met Erika & Brian, Rhonda & Glenn, Stephanie & Oliver, and had some great fun and laughs over a pint of lager.

P1010064y.jpg

Ben sadly takes the 7:30 pm hispeed back to Southampton after a much too short but fun visit in London.

P1010075y.jpg

Duke of Wellington

P1010072y.jpg

P1010070y.jpg

P1010067y.jpg

Ben smiling bright with new friends Glenn & Rhonda.

Hi, Kyle, on this rainy NYC day........Did you have a Slot Pull on your BWAY cruise? Our winning GEM pull was a highlight. Wish I could join you in all your cruises, but will have to stick with what I have planned until I get to win a lottery. One can hope.........;) Sharon
Wonderful shots...Good to hear from you Kyle...Sharon and I are on the Breakaway on the Jan. 19th sailing. Will miss your Slot Pull...LOL

Yes there was a Slot Pull but Ben was late and didn't get to play. He was in fact referring the Slot Pull on our Gem cruise which was such great fun as was the M&G and cabin poker crawl. Ben can't wait to try one again and trying to organize one on the Gem this Dec. Wish you were there and hope to run into you again on future travels! Btw. Ben will see Linda, John & Jovi and family again next February for a Mardi Gras cruise!

Love the pictures!!

Thanks! Ben's such a ham. :p

Edited by kylenyc

I'll be on the October 20th sailing. This studio lounge is adorable! Also happy my parents have a fridge in their room since I have supplements that will need to be kept cold. Makes me wonder how their accommodating guests with chilled medications.

I must say...the hallway of the studio cabins is giving Bliss a run for its money.

Can't wait to meet all the friendly faces! Thanks for posting!

Thank you for posting these great photos and all your great info. Will be in Studio cabin in August NY to Bermuda, looking forward to meeting lots of new people.

Margie

Really enjoying your review. Thanks for your time and effort.

I will have to tell my granddaughter about this review. She took pictures of her "Finn" doll from Adventure Time, at the ports we were at on our Caribbean cruise a couple years ago. She even took some underwater pics. She asked me if it was stupid to be taking pictures of a doll on a cruise. I said, don't worry, there are some adults that do it too. :p

Thanks again.

Gwen :)

Really enjoying your review. Thanks for your time and effort.

I will have to tell my granddaughter about this review. She took pictures of her "Finn" doll from Adventure Time, at the ports we were at on our Caribbean cruise a couple years ago. She even took some underwater pics. She asked me if it was stupid to be taking pictures of a doll on a cruise. I said, don't worry, there are some adults that do it too. :p

Thanks again.

Awww. Thanks cruzinlady1947 a bunch, and thanks everyone for the encouragement. Noticed you cruise RCI a lot. Ben hasn't tried RCI... yet. Rumor has it he plans to sneak on one as soon as he can. ;)

Edited by kylenyc

Awww. Thanks cruzinlady1947 a bunch, and thanks everyone for the encouragement. Noticed you cruise RCI a lot. Ben hasn't tried RCI... yet. Rumor has it he plans to sneak on one as soon as he can. ;)

All I can say is, "try it, you'll like it".

We did an NCL cruise back in 2001 on the Norwegian Sea to New England and Canada. It was an old ship, but really liked it. We got back to New York 2 days before 9/11. Was so shocked when the attack happened 2 days after our return. I do have some fantastic pics of the Twin Towers that I took sailing down the Hudson.

After that we just stuck with RCCL to build up our status. We are as high as we can go with RC. Wouldn't mind trying another cruise line again. I definitely will try the Quantum, coming out next year. Would be a good one for you to try.

Thanks again for your review. Pictures are fantastic.