*LIVE PHOTO BLOG* - Ben the Bendy Man's Breakaway Adventure April 28 to May 4, 2013

kylenyc

Time to pack and disembark o/

Have a SAFE return home and a relaxing afternoon!

Thank you for an excellent report while aboard this great ship!

(hoping for more follow-ups as internet shouldn't be an issue once you get home)

Thanks. Very enjoyable review.

Quick question though: It appears that in the cabins some of the TV's aren't at a good angle to watch if you are lying in bed. Is that a fair statement or perhaps just the way pics sometimes make things look different depth wise?

Thanks in advance.

VIP Richard photos of a Haven suite aboard this ship (the bathroom) as an add on to

this wonderful, informative report posted by the OP:

269962_642030005814196_1240997424_n.jpg

405934_642029142480949_1868563403_n.jpg

11740_642029972480866_2097704438_n.jpg

215257_642029992480864_84161826_n.jpg

165430_642029955814201_1625984243_n.jpg

(RANT OVER!)

944609_642029205814276_1875615059_n.jpg

I am confused. It says spa suite, but it looks like an aft penthouse or owners suite.

Are the pics all of one cabin or multiple cabins?

Could you tellme the cabin number?

Day +1 - Sunday, April 28, 2013

Breakaway Theater, Mandatory Safety Drill

At 4 pm, everyone was being rounded up for the mandatory safety drill. Ben and his trusty sidekick were happy when they learned the muster station was in the Breakaway Theater where he could sit down and relax.

Food, beverages, and electronic devices are not allowed during the drill so Ben's sneaky cameraman snapped these pictures immediately after the announcer said "the drill is now over" :p

P1000646y.jpg

Breakaway Theater

P1000649y.jpg

Breakaway Theater

P1000650y.jpg

Breakaway Theater

Seemed to be many passengers on this maiden voyage if the number of people at this muster station is any indication.

Edited by kylenyc

Day +1 - Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 5 pm

Sailaway Party, Spice H2O

The sailaway party began up in Spice H2O on Deck 16 immediately after the safety drill. Ben looked around for folks from Cruise Critic hoping to thank some of them for helping out with ideas and tips for his European and Breakaway adventure. However, he didn't know how to recognize them. He guessed that wearing Mardi Gras beads was exclusively a North American thing :grin:. Either way, the evening's solo traveler gathering was also at 5 pm so Ben's slumping photog enjoyed the scenery for a bit, took a few pictures and left shortly after that.

After some introductory Breakaway videos played on the video screen, Julie the Cruise Director led the dance crew and tried to get the crowd going.

P1000653y.jpg

Deck 16, Spice H2O - Sailaway Party

P1000654y.jpg

P1000659y.jpg

P1000661y.jpg

P1000663y.jpg

P1000651y.jpg

Repair crews working on the self-service wine dispensers

Ed: Repairs crews were still working through the 1-day and 7 day cruises and hardly noticeable around the ship as they did their work. However, as i might have mentioned earlier, there was one big exception in that many appeared to be put up in the studio cabins, spent time in the lounge but did not contribute in any way to the studio experience. They were there to work not socialize.

The solo gathering was in the Studio Lounge. There he met up with CC members Caron (cruisercl) and Yemi (ms cookie monster). There was no host for the solo gathering and we were pretty much on our own. The coffee machine was not working at the time the snack counter was empty. We chatted a bit and then three of us decided to head to dinner in the main dining room - Taste.

Edited by kylenyc

Day +1 - Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 6 pm

Dinner in Taste, A Friendly Smile, and It's Lobster Night!

When we arrived at Taste, we were greeted and served by one of the friendliest and best waiters aboard - Marie Lou Abacan. We were seated by a table by the windows where enjoyed a view of people ashore waving as the ship sailed down river. Dinner and service were excellent.

When Ben's explored the ship earlier, he also met Leanora Bernard at Shanghai's. In the evenings, she's a restaurant hostess in the Manhattan main dining room, and during the day her bright cheerful presence can be found in O'Sheehans, Restaurant Reservations, Shanghai's, and all over the ship! Ben had fun running into her throughout his Breakaway Adventure and made Ben's smile even bigger.

Norwegian definitely had their A-Team on this ship and he would meet many more friendly hardworking crew and some he's even met from past cruises aboard the Gem and Star.

P1010521y.jpg

Leanora Bernard - "A-Team" Restaurant Hostess, Manhattan main dining room.

P1010778y.jpg

Marie Lou Albacon - "A-Team" Waitress in Taste, main dining room

P1000669y.jpg

Main dining room evening menu

Evening dinner menus are the same across the three main dining rooms (Manhattan, Savor, Taste). However, the right half of the menu (right half) changes each evening and includes a chef/regional specialty while the right half stays the same.

P1000675y.jpg

Spring Roll (after Ben's butler snuck a bite ... slap!)

P1000679y.jpg

Surf & Turf (Maine lobster tail and a mini filet) - Ben doubts he'll have room for dessert.

P1000680y.jpg

Yemi's Key Lime Pie and Caron's Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cake

The dessert choices appear the same as main dining rooms on other Norwegian ships but the desserts themselves are much improved. Ben couldn't eat any more after the filling meal and beer. Caron and Yemi gave Ben a taste of these now lighter creamier desserts. Yummmmm!

Edited by kylenyc

Thanks everyone for following the blog and the compliments. It's fun taking pictures, and Ben loves the photo ops with friends, crew, and attractions.

Kyle, I can see the ship from my apartment building and it's HUGE! I plan on walking to the pier sometime before she leaves on Sunday to check out that hull art in person, LOL. Your reports have been stellar and thank you so much for helping us to get a feel for what it'll be like on board. If your Bermuda trip leaves you wanting more, we'll be waiting for you on 1/19/2014! ;) Sharon

Thanks The P (Sharon). Unfortunately, before this trip I'd already had a Feb 2014 cruise booked which is a tad too close too yours! Maybe you can join us Barbara, Sabrina, and Suzie on the Sept 8th to Bermuda or find a way to join me on my Feb 2014 NOLA Mardi Gras cruise. I'm afraid not many people will join the NOLA cruise outside of area locals because all the area hotels are being sold out already or at a heavy premium due to Mardi Gras and an NBA All Star game of some sort.

daliflor, Thanks for the Haven photos... suuuuuuuuite! I was way too tired to go visit all the show cabins or go on the Haven tour. :o

Thanks. Very enjoyable review. Quick question though: It appears that in the cabins some of the TV's aren't at a good angle to watch if you are lying in bed. Is that a fair statement or perhaps just the way pics sometimes make things look different depth wise? Thanks in advance.

Very interesting observation! For Studio i think it's true because the TV is on the wall at a right angle to the bed headboard where you'd lay. For balcony cabins it's still in an awkward location if you were say the person on the far side of the bed. On Jewel-class ships however, TVs are in the corner at an angle facing you but then again the TVs are older and smaller (sometimes really old CRTs!). So a bit better and a bit worse. :confused:

In the NCL Breakaway book (travel brochure) has the Cafe at the Atrium listed as complimentary dining. A place to get sweets. It sounds like they made the Atrium a specialty cafe where now you have to pay. It would have been nice to have a place to grab a free late night snack. Anyone know what free desserts are offered at Sheehan's?

Gershep...

O'Sheehan desserts

Chocolate Brownie Sundae

Apple Pie with whipped cream

Strawberry Pound Cake

Fresh Fruit Plate

...or fruit and dessert from the buffet kept fresh in big zip loc bags, or room service :p

P1010590y.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Thank you so much Ben and Kyle too! I am so glad that brownie sundae is a free dessert I will definitely take some baggies with me for the buffet. Did your dinner come with two lobster tails or did you have to request them? So glad I am losing weight before my cruise, lol.

Thank you so much Ben and Kyle too! I am so glad that brownie sundae is a free dessert I will definitely take some baggies with me for the buffet. Did your dinner come with two lobster tails or did you have to request them? So glad I am losing weight before my cruise, lol.

You're welcome. The lobster tail was on the 1-Day maiden so I'm pretty sure they just did it to make up happy. On every cruise I've taken you can ask for two. Otherwise they will give you one unless the server is extra nice and bring it to you without askng like Marie Lou ;)

Where will we find Ben next? I enjoy hearing about his adventures so much.

Thank you. So glad to know folks enjoy Ben's antics. His next cruises are in the signature and next one not until September :eek: (grips the chair in a post-cruise-withdrawal attack). Will try to post more pics here tomorrow. :)

I agree. Ben reminds me of my bendable Oh No Mr. Bill

That gave me the craziest idea of sanding off Ben's smile and drawing an "Oh No" face with a black Sharpee. What would his fans think? of ---> This :eek: look on Ben? No worries everyone... I have a dozen Ben clones on order from Amazon :p I carry spare Bens ever since Samana.

Edited by kylenyc

So Ben and Kyle which NCL ship do you like the most?

Great to hear from you aceparty!

I'd rather not choose between NCL ships. I typically choose a cruise based on itinerary, cost, and value. With Breakaway, I wanted to experience the studio (despite premium charged for this particular maiden voyage), a new ship on it's maiden voyage, and a transatlantic cruise. I like the different classes of ships for different reasons and ultimately on each cruise it's been the people I've met that has made the cruise fantastic whether from Cruise Critic, solo studio travelers, or the crew. Put it this way... if i had met the same group of people this cruise but on a different NCL ship, I would've had just as fantastic a time. Credit goes to Cruise Critic and Norwegian who in their own ways have brought a great bunch of folks together. (e.g. Had a fantastic time with you and all the CC folks from the February Gem cruise).

The Gem has become a home away from home and I'll be back on her in December. There's just nothing else like a sailaway out of New York in Spinnaker or Bali Hai/Pool, doing laps around the promenade which wraps completely around the ship, using the gym overlooking the ocean through floor to ceiling windows, or finding a comfy lounge to enjoy a book or listen to live music.

On the otherhand, there's nothing quite like the excitement of a new and unique ship such as Breakaway with its many entertainment and dining options. Fat Cats and Slam Allen are amazing. So are Fire & Ice. The ship is staffed by Norwegian's A-Team including some crew friends moved over from the Gem and Star like Dhruv and Maurice. Families with kids having a blast on the waterslides, ropes course, Splash Academy, etc.

For some, Breakaway may be too "crowded" and too "exciting". For others, it's vibrant and exhilarating like New York City itself. I enjoy both classes of ship and will be returning to both Gem and Breakaway later this year... enjoying every moment of it if Ben has any say in it :p.

Edited by kylenyc