Question about Midsummer night

cruise kipie

Dear all,

On July 25 we will be in Flam, Norway with The Rotterdam. Its our first Norwegian cruise. Does Flam have midsummer night?

We've read stories about sitting on the deck at midnight and still see the sun. We think this is awesome.

Best wishes,

Marjan and Vincent from Holland

On July 25 we will be in Flam, Norway with The Rotterdam. Its our first Norwegian cruise. Does Flam have midsummer night?

We've read stories about sitting on the deck at midnight and still see the sun. We think this is awesome.

No, Flam is far too far south for this.

At most, there's about 19 hours between sunrise and sunset. But this is in the middle of June (around midsummer on 21 June). By late July, it will be more like 17½ hours between sunrise and sunset. When you're there, sunrise will be at about 5.00 am and sunset will be at about 10.30 pm.

More technically, you need to be above 66° 33′ 44″ N to have continuous sun for 24 hours, and it looks like Flam is only at 60° 50′ 17″ N.

No, Flam is far too far south for this.

At most, there's about 19 hours between sunrise and sunset. But this is in the middle of June (around midsummer on 21 June). By late July, it will be more like 17½ hours between sunrise and sunset. When you're there, sunrise will be at about 5.00 am and sunset will be at about 10.30 pm.

More technically, you need to be above 66° 33′ 44″ N to have continuous sun for 24 hours, and it looks like Flam is only at 60° 50′ 17″ N.

I guess it depends on whether the OP means all night or just late night. We were in St Petersburg in the third week of June and it was still bright as normal day at 10:30 when we got out of the ballet. St Petersburg is at 59.9, a little south of Flam. We were there at the height on a calendar basis so I am sure that made a difference.

I expect you will have sailed from Flam, and be out of the fjord, by evening. At sea then, try to find a comfy spot and watch the ever-so-slow sunset. Then, try to stay up while the after-glow lingers. It takes hours for that to fade!

Although it will get dark---eventually---at sea level, there will be some light in the sky just about all night.

It's a beautiful land to cruise. I hope the weather cooperates for you, and you have a marvelous time in my favorite cruise area.

I guess it depends on whether the OP means all night or just late night.
True, but the OP's post rather made it sound like they were interested in true "midnight sun" (which I agree is awesome - I loved it too):-
It is possible that in the middle of June, the sky will never get completely dark in Flam. But I wouldn't like to promise that for the end of July.

Archived