To buy the photo package or not to buy the photo package...

Dilemma! I'm a picture lover. It will be just DH and I on this cruise as a belated honeymoon. I think I can count the number of pictures of us together (other than wedding pictures) on one hand. It would be nice to have a variety of pictures together!

But the sticker shock! $300 for unlimited digital photos (7 days FOS), $200 for 15 digital photos, or $150 for 10 digital photos.

How much do digital files generally cost on board? Does it vary by ship? We're not very interested in actual paper pictures as we'll be in Florida a few more days then picking up the kids and schlepping back to Arizona - I'm sure they'll get smashed in the process :)

Is the unlimited package worth it for 2 people? We're pretty cheesy and will like the welcome aboard picture, port pictures, etc.

My DW and I got the unlimited package on 3 of our 4 cruises. For us it was worth it because we had our picture taken every night at all the spots they were taking them. We had over 350 pictures for the $300. They give you a cd with the pictures, you do not get any real photographs if I remember correctly. I think we did buy a few because we wanted the borders on it from the main dining room and the welcome aboard photo.

It's very worth it for my husband and me. We don't take professional photos any other time outside of the annual cruise. We take full advantage of the photographers by trying to hit every station each night, getting to know them, seeking them out while they're walking around, etc. They love it because they have to meet a certain quota for the evenings. I plan the wardrobes for each evening prior to the cruise to get the most of it, and just because it's fun.

We paid $350 on the Allure and Oasis by pre-purchasing the package and we got all our digitals and prints, a whopping 455 this last time. I've been told they're discontinuing prints in the future, but they will print if ordered.

It's very worth it for my husband and me. We don't take professional photos any other time outside of the annual cruise. We take full advantage of the photographers by trying to hit every station each night, getting to know them, seeking them out while they're walking around, etc. They love it because they have to meet a certain quota for the evenings. I plan the wardrobes for each evening prior to the cruise to get the most of it, and just because it's fun.

We paid $350 on the Allure and Oasis by pre-purchasing the package and we got all our digitals and prints, a whopping 455 this last time. I've been told they're discontinuing prints in the future, but they will print if ordered.

I just looked up some prices :eek:

I chose a random date on the Allure, and one on the Jewel, so I could compare. I'm sailing on both next January and love getting lots of pictures so I thought it might be worth it.

Well, $450 for all digital photos and prints on the Allure is way too expensive for me :( I usually buy about a half dozen photos and leave many behind that I would get if I could afford it. I might go for a lower option of 15 digital prints, except I like the hard copies. Gah!

The Jewel's packages were totally different. There was an option to get all the prints, but not a digital option. I wonder why they do that :confused:

I'd think about what you will do with all those photos. We have bought a few on each cruise and they usually wind up sitting inside the photo album with our pics.

If they offered digital versions, I'd be inclined to buy more, but still on a pic by pic basis. I might by around 10 total and include them in my digital photo album of the cruise (I like to get photo books printed).

We bought the digital package and probably won't do it again. We expected many more photographers to be around the ship during the day, but we only saw 1 and she seemed very annoyed when we tried to gather our family together to take the picture. So we ended up with 40 total. We like having them, but they're not worth $250.

The best answer is...it depends. Normally wouldn't recommend it for 2 people, but for special occasions, I definitely would do the largest package you can afford. I would recommend the CD + Prints package, but you can get these printed later, but be careful where you have them printed. Quality does matter.

My post cruise post regarding photos last June:

================================

Update: (our photo experience-long):

Just got back from the Allure. We pre-paid for the unlimited Digital and Prints package for $449 ($499 on ship). 8x10's are $19.95 each, 5x8's (outdoor port debarkation photos) are $9.95 each.

We had two rooms (separate families) and we both got the package. Otherwise, I probably would not order the package normally. Any one who was in a photo with us went on our CD plus the prints. Occasionally, we would get printed photos from the group in the 2nd room and we were not in them, but they were not on the CD. I probably got 40-50 of those. Probably miss tagged or room card wasn't used.

The photos on the CD DO include the artistic borders like those seen on the acutual prints. I had hoped the borders wouldn't be there for reprints on my own. I can crop some of these on my own in Aperture (Mac software). The photos come locked on the CD with a watermark until unlocked using a software on the CD that loads on your computer (Adobe Air).

We ended up with a little over 300 photos on our room and the other room had even more. They love having their photo made. But, the photogs do take about 10-15 photos in any one setting depending on the group size , so it doesn't take long to get this many. You could easily double this with extra time commited. I was more concerned about quality than the number of photos. They do include bad photos (eyes closed, etc.) they print everything (except the ones I really wanted). You can order missing/damaged prints from the kiosk at no extra charge, plus they will be included in the unlimited package at no charge even though the kiosk gives you a price. I did this and it went OK. But do it early in the week or you will wait in line prior to leaving.

The plain white and black backgrounds were probably the best, plus they stand the test of time. Dress accordingly to what you want.

TAKE YOUR RECEIPT FROM WHEN YOU ORDERED THE PACKAGE IF ORDERED BEFORE THE CRUISE. (our order info wasn't in their system and glad I brought it)

Their accounting/ordering/checkout process was not good, unless all you wanted was a print or two. Do Not order the CD package if you have an early return flight. LONG LINES. With only two people working. Where were the other 20 photographers on checkout day? They said the CD would be ready the night before, but wasn't. Plus, initially, we had to order the package again once on-board, so it shows on our account. They take off the charge, but it's a hassle. Especially if the same person pays for both rooms. Original receipt is crucial (I had to show it numerous times).

In all, the photos were pretty good. If you care, get to know the good photographers and stick with them. For camera techies: not all their camera equipment is the same. I saw a range from Nikon D90 to a D300S (sparing you the technical details), but it can make a difference in photo quality. But the biggest thing affecting quality is always the photographer.

If you only plan to buy less than 10 photos (which is the majority of people), it doesn't matter. You will find enough good ones.

The best answer is...it depends. Normally wouldn't recommend it for 2 people, but for special occasions, I definitely would do the largest package you can afford. I would recommend the CD + Prints package, but you can get these printed later, but be careful where you have them printed. Quality does matter.

My post cruise post regarding photos last June:

================================

Update: (our photo experience-long):

Just got back from the Allure. We pre-paid for the unlimited Digital and Prints package for $449 ($499 on ship). 8x10's are $19.95 each, 5x8's (outdoor port debarkation photos) are $9.95 each.

We had two rooms (separate families) and we both got the package. Otherwise, I probably would not order the package normally. Any one who was in a photo with us went on our CD plus the prints. Occasionally, we would get printed photos from the group in the 2nd room and we were not in them, but they were not on the CD. I probably got 40-50 of those. Probably miss tagged or room card wasn't used.

The photos on the CD DO include the artistic borders like those seen on the acutual prints. I had hoped the borders wouldn't be there for reprints on my own. I can crop some of these on my own in Aperture (Mac software). The photos come locked on the CD with a watermark until unlocked using a software on the CD that loads on your computer (Adobe Air).

We ended up with a little over 300 photos on our room and the other room had even more. They love having their photo made. But, the photogs do take about 10-15 photos in any one setting depending on the group size , so it doesn't take long to get this many. You could easily double this with extra time commited. I was more concerned about quality than the number of photos. They do include bad photos (eyes closed, etc.) they print everything (except the ones I really wanted). You can order missing/damaged prints from the kiosk at no extra charge, plus they will be included in the unlimited package at no charge even though the kiosk gives you a price. I did this and it went OK. But do it early in the week or you will wait in line prior to leaving.

The plain white and black backgrounds were probably the best, plus they stand the test of time. Dress accordingly to what you want.

TAKE YOUR RECEIPT FROM WHEN YOU ORDERED THE PACKAGE IF ORDERED BEFORE THE CRUISE. (our order info wasn't in their system and glad I brought it)

Their accounting/ordering/checkout process was not good, unless all you wanted was a print or two. Do Not order the CD package if you have an early return flight. LONG LINES. With only two people working. Where were the other 20 photographers on checkout day? They said the CD would be ready the night before, but wasn't. Plus, initially, we had to order the package again once on-board, so it shows on our account. They take off the charge, but it's a hassle. Especially if the same person pays for both rooms. Original receipt is crucial (I had to show it numerous times).

In all, the photos were pretty good. If you care, get to know the good photographers and stick with them. For camera techies: not all their camera equipment is the same. I saw a range from Nikon D90 to a D300S (sparing you the technical details), but it can make a difference in photo quality. But the biggest thing affecting quality is always the photographer.

If you only plan to buy less than 10 photos (which is the majority of people), it doesn't matter. You will find enough good ones.

Regarding your comment about not ordering the CD package if you have an early flight because of long lines.....what would happen if you couldn't get the CD? I believe I saw on the website that you could order the CD online - if you weren't able to pick it up the night before disembarking or that morning, would they still send it to you?

Also, I've only had one experience with the digital picture on Celebrity and many of our printed pictures never showed up on the digital screen. Did you have that experience? We didn't buy the package on that cruise so it didn't make a difference. But if this did occur, would you just bring the pictures to the desk and tell them they're not on the computer and they would add them to your CD?

I'm considering buying this package for our upcoming cruise but I'm not sure about some details.

Thanks!

I just wanted to add that when we purchased the 10 photos from disc, they told us that if when we viewed the proofs we wanted more we could buy that after the fact. So maybe it would be an idea to buy a small package and then upsize if required.

Archived