First Night - MDR or Buffet?

MrsLadyL

Thank you for your inputs! Now, with the casual dress code, does that mean shorts and t-shirt casual? Just want to make sure my DH will be allowed in. :D

Also, what if you have early dining, do you have to be there for that time or is it OK if you come later? We're hoping to do some last minute sightseeing.

Thank you for your inputs! Now, with the casual dress code, does that mean shorts and t-shirt casual? Just want to make sure my DH will be allowed in. :D

Also, what if you have early dining, do you have to be there for that time or is it OK if you come later? We're hoping to do some last minute sightseeing.

the only time we were turned away was when my brother had on a sleeveless shirt (he takes the sleeves off lots of shirts) and the shorts thing is only a no-no on "elegant" night -- no gym or basketball shorts but the cargo shorts seemed to go ok...

we love the MDR by the way, love getting waited on...

We've always done the MDR on the 1st night, and every other night. I'm not a fan of buffets and I really do enjoy being waited on. Plus I like the food in the MDR. We have reservations on our next cruise for the steakhouse 1st night, if we like it a lot we might consider doing it a 2nd night, but will most likely eat the rest of our dinners in the MDR. We have Any Time confirmed and I love the flexibility that gives us. It lets me prioritize any shows or comedians we wish to see and make sure we fit our meal in at a convenient time.

Thank you for your inputs! Now, with the casual dress code, does that mean shorts and t-shirt casual?

Shorts and a t-shirt are allowed.

If you have a set dining time (early or late) you have to dine at that time or go eat elsewhere. You may be able to slip in 10 minutes late (though that is really rude for your table mates if you have any- because then they have to wait for your to be served!) If you do not think you will always be able to make that time, try booking Anytime Dining instead. Much more flexible.

We're first night Steakhouse visitors! Love the free bottle of wine and it'a a great way to celebrate being on a boat!

Is it one bottle per 2 people, or per table regardless of the number of adults?

Do we need a coupon for this?

Thanks

MDR as they are relaxed on your dress due to luggage may not have arrived, to meet your servers, table mates and get your first warm chocolate melting cake. Try different things, soups, alligator fritters, have a nice sit down meal, It is very relaxing.

Looks like I'm the black sheep of the group:o:o

We always find the MDR to be PAINFULLY slow and unorganized on the first night. We try to do the steakhouse, or just grab the buffet.

We do ATD, and have our own group, so it's not important for us to be meet our tablemates and/or waitstaff.

MDR as they are relaxed on your dress due to luggage may not have arrived, to meet your servers, table mates and get your first warm chocolate melting cake. Try different things, soups, alligator fritters, have a nice sit down meal, It is very relaxing.

I've heard sooo many good things about this chocolate melting cake! Lol! I can't wait to try it. Alligator fritters? He he sounds interesting!

We do the main dining room just because I'm personally exhasted...we drive 13 hours to get to port and usually we sleep very little....and we have two little people and I like them to get to know where they will eat all week and they will figure out what our girls like and usually have their choclate milk and fruit cocktail waiting for them each night (love that) I'm on vacation, I do enough waiting on my family at home...I need someone to wait on me!

It depends how we feel-I'm such a breakfast food lover that I might do buffet the first night (or just graze all night) and get up for MDR on the first morning (assuming it's a sea day). One of the amazing things about a cruise is you can do what you want and change your mind, especially with YTD. :cool:

MDR. It's part of what I love about the cruise experience. Nice to get to know your wait staff and for them to get to know you. I also prefer the offerings on the MDR menu to a buffet.

I always choose to eat in the MDR for as many meals as possible. I do not like buffets. I unashamedly love to be waited upon as if I were a queen.

Im the same way...Breakfast, lunch, dinner...if the MDR is open I am there :)

You'll find many, not all, at times, the same meals in the buffet. Plus you can make a salad as big as you want. You can eat and get out as fast as you want.....in the buffet.

Last cruise we only used the MDR twice, and that may be the end of MDR for us, just too long, to pompous, and 2nd time we had bad or rude waiters. Both times our waiter only knew how to say "Wad you wan" (what do you want), he repeated it, time after time both meals. Both meals I asked for tabasco numerous times...never came...ether time. So we are done with the MDR.

Buffet is awesome, quick and out. We do skip the lunch first day though...WAY to crowded and crazy then. We eat a huge brunch on the way to the Port now.

But, to each there own.

As for meeting mess mates, we refuse to eat with strangers, meal time is family time for us.

We always go to MDR on the first night and pretty much the rest. We like getting to know the waitstaff and we like having the service. I think we've only eaten dinner in the buffet 2 times on all our total cruises.

We always go to the MDR the first night but we definitely don't dress up. We usually wear shorts and a t-shirt. Never had any problems.....we will continue to go to the dining room and be comfortable

Archived