First Night - MDR or Buffet?

MrsLadyL

MDR wins hands down!! However, do both if it fits your schedule. We always do late dining in the MDR, but have a pre-dinner around 5-5:30 if we are hungry to tide us over....which was most nights!

Steakhouse is always the first stop on the cruise. Plus a free bottle of wine. Well at $70 for two not to bad.

Is this open to new(to carnival atleast) cruisers or do you have to be a repeat guest?

I always make reservations for whatever specialty steakhouse a ship has for the first and last nights. It would be great if we can get a free bottle of wine on that first night.

It is always nice to go to the MDR the first night to meet the folks be sharing the table with for the cruise. That said, many of the lines offer reduced fees for the specialty restaurants, only on the first night out. When they are often nearly empty. So you can "make nice" & perhaps meet some folks to share adventures with; or maybe have a 'special evening' with you companion.

For the first night of your cruise, which is best to do, MDR or Buffet? What would be your preference and why?

Thanks!

It depends on the ship. We usually dine in the steak house on the first night if the ship has one. If not, we do the MDR.

For the first night of your cruise, which is best to do, MDR or Buffet? What would be your preference and why?

Thanks!

Eat in the MDR and later walk through the buffet just to see if something catches your eye, lol!

We always go to the MDR the first night but we definitely don't dress up. We usually wear shorts and a t-shirt. Never had any problems.....we will continue to go to the dining room and be comfortable

You don't wear shorts in the MDR the rest of the week right?

You don't wear shorts in the MDR the rest of the week right?

Actually we do. We don't go to the MDR on formal nights. All the cruise casual nights we wear khaki shorts or some other kind of nice shorts. My dad and I don't like to dress up. We have NEVER had a problem wearing shorts. No one has ever denied is entry into the dining room. We wear what is comfortable for us....you're on vacation right.

And, the best part of the Steakhouse on the first night is the free bottle of wine that comes with your dinner.....

So is the bottle of wine one per couple?...per table?...or per person?

Is it very good?

Apologies if this was covered previously.

I am another person who always has dinner in the MDR, and always books the early seating. But to the OP, I think your situation is different. Are you on the cruise that leaves San Juan in the evening? If so, I would probably use that time to sightsee. The first night was open dining anyway when I was on that itinerary on the Victory. That was April of 2011, so I can't guarantee that is still how it is done.

I am another person who always has dinner in the MDR, and always books the early seating. But to the OP, I think your situation is different. Are you on the cruise that leaves San Juan in the evening? If so, I would probably use that time to sightsee. The first night was open dining anyway when I was on that itinerary on the Victory. That was April of 2011, so I can't guarantee that is still how it is done.

Yes, our cruise leaves at 10pm. That's. why we were hoping to see more of San Juan if possible.

Thanks!

We always eat in the MDR the first night. No reason not to do it.

It's a good way to meet your waitstaff, too.

If the choice is buffet or MDR then go MDR.

IMO, it's the lesser of two evils. The food isn't very good in the MDR but, it's got to be better then the buffet.

If you can save some extra money I would eat at the speciality restaurants, if the ship has them, every night. FAR better food for just a small fee.

Thanks!

MDR every night for me.

...and to those who say MDR food isn't good....I disagree. Is it 5Star? No. Is it good? Absolutely!

This isn't totally on topic but I thought I'd ask here instead of starting up a whole new thread.

When I booked my cruise (through Travelocity) I selected the late seating for MDR. After discussing it with my shipmate, we've decided we'd rather do Anytime dining.

Does anyone know how to go about changing it?

Thanks in advance!

I always choose to eat in the MDR for as many meals as possible. I do not like buffets. I unashamedly love to be waited upon as if I were a queen.

We do every dinner in the Main Dining room. It's just a great place to be. We ususally have a large family group, so we are all together. The waiters and waitresses are so nice, and it's fun to have the same ones each night. You get to know each other. The MDR experience is one of the things I really like about crusing you just don't get on a land vacation. We've found the food too to be surpisingly good given the number of people being served and the inexpensive price of the typical Carnival cruise. The buffet is fine for getting a quick bite, but MDR food quality seems quite a bit better.

Dress code is so casual now. I wear jeans and a polo shirt when it's not elegant night. No work at all to get ready / just like dressing for dinner at home.

Yes, our cruise leaves at 10pm. That's. why we were hoping to see more of San Juan if possible.

I can see why your are asking -- Old San Juan is a great place. Play it by ear. We're doing the Valor out of old San Juan for our next cruise too. We have late dining at 8:15 p.m. and you have to be on the ship by 8:30, so that 's not too big a deal or much time missed. Plus we will have 2 1/2 days / two nights in San Juan before our cruise. Love San Juan. Did a full week vacation there a few years back // great time, great place, so much to do. Glad to at least get my 2 1/2 days in // So hard to fly there and not spend some time in this great place. // Have never cuised out of San Juan before.

Archived