Sapphire questions

We are cruising southbound from Alaska (inside passage) on Sept. 14th on the Sapphire, along with other family members. We recently moved from an inside cabin that was on the highest stateroom deck to an oceanview. We are now booked on Deck 5 in the bow.

I've had a stateroom on Deck 5 before (midship) and loved it - having the ocean up close and personal was great. I was wondering how much pitch I should expect in the bow? I do not get seasick, but not sure about hubby or my inlaws.

Also, these staterooms are underneath the princess theatre and I wonder if noise will be a problem. For me, probably not since I am hard of hearing (the one benefit of a lousy disability). I just take out the hearing aids and I am good, except if the noise is a drone or snoring - then I will quietly kill who or what is making the noise. :D

And what specialty restaurants would you recommend? We have done Sabatini's on the Crown last year and loved it.

Thanks!

FTB

If you're the type to go to bed early, you might hear noise from the theater. We've been above it before. Fortunately, we're usually night owls and go to the late show in the theater, so the noise never bothered us. The one night I skipped the show and went to bed after dinner, I was tired enough that the noise did not keep me awake.

We were on Deck 5 Plaza on the Sapphire a few weeks ago in an interior cabin underneath the theater. We went to bed early pretty much every night (well, at least went to our cabin to watch TV, etc.). Around 10-10:30 every night, we heard some noise from the theater above us, but it wasn't awful and didn't last too long.

As far as ship movement went, we had one day of somewhat rough weather. We felt the movement in the room, but we also felt it up on the lido deck too when we were up there. Not sure it makes that much difference. I hear that Alaska oceans aren't usually that rough. Haven't been to Alaska before, but I think you'll be fine in the ocean view on Plaza deck.

We loved the Plaza deck. So convenient to the Atrium/Piazza. I would book there again anytime.

We've done Alaska Southbound three times, twice on the Island and last year on the Sapphire. As far as pitching, I wouldn't be too concerned. The water is fairly calm in the inside passage and the Sapphire is a reasonably large ship. The only time I believe you may have some sea swells is from Ketchikan down to Vancouver, but our experience has been that even those are quite tolerable, even for my seasick-prone wife.

Have a great cruise.

bob123

In addition to the great info on CC we've found a site that is helpful in cabin selection. We're on the Sapphire in June. CC has inhibited the website for some reason although a quick search brings it up. Search: "Picking the Best Cabins on the Sapphire Princess"

Archived