Disembarkation in Civitavecchia & Train to FCO--my experience

JAMESFALLETTA

I've done this a few times, most recently last week leaving the Silhouette, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. Background--husband and wife, mid-30s, 2 large 50lb rollerbags, 2 back-packs, and 1 roller carry on. We had an 11:45am flight out of Rome.

We did the Transatlantic ending April 29th (excellent cruise). We did express walk-off, and lined up on deck 3 mid-ship around 6:30am. I LOVED that they lined the luggage up so instead of standing around you could sit, relax, and wait for the walk-off. It kept everyone calm.

We were allowed off around 7am. You had to walk down 1 deck, or take an elevator which was reserved for express-walk off guests. They had workers helping with baggage down the 1 flight of stairs if you didn't take the elevator. No customs or anything just a breeze walking off.

We asked around for a taxi to take us to the train station, but Celebrity provided free shuttle buses taking you to the entrance of the port. About a 5 minute ride, but you had to wait for the bus to fill up. The seats were very tight. From there, it was a decent length walk, slightly uphill, sometimes over un-even pavement, to the train station. Pulling all that weight required me to rest a couple times. Probably a 20 minute walk.

Taking the train to FCO airport requires a transfer at either Trastevere or Termini station. We took the train to Trastevere Station, about an hour away. This cost about 9 Euro total for 2 tickets, 2nd class. We were hoping to get some pizza around that station, but the immediate area of that station only had coffee and sandwiches. We had considered going further into Rome and transferring at Termini, hoping for more food options, but we figured that the early time would keep food options limited regardless of the area.

I bought the train tickets at the automated bending machine with a credit card thus avoiding the long line. There was an english language option. The track to Trastevere was just outside the station door. It runs every 30 minutes. We stood on the train not for lack of seating but because the middle of the car (by the doors where everyone got off and on) had the most room for our luggage. At a couple stops we had to move the bags from one side to the other as the entrance sides alternated. I could watch the bags and my wife could sit. It was hot on the train, and it did have restrooms.

Transferring at Termini, we bought tickets to the airport for about 15 Euros total. There was an elevator down to the walkway you needed to take to get to your train track, but then only stairs--maybe 15--up to the track, so be prepared to lift your luggage. There was an elevator, but it didn't seem to work. A local helped me as I was lifting the 2 heavy ones at once in a rush to make the train, which runs every 20 minutes or so.

Arriving at FCO, there were cafes and a short walk to the terminal.

In all, it took us about 2 hours to get to the airport via shuttle bus, a long walk, and 2 trains. I've done this twice prior. This time cost $33 USD total for 2 people (I'm checking my no-foreign fee credit card statement). We had plenty of time, we like adventure, but it was exercise and a little bit of stress to end a relaxing vacation. We enjoy saving money vs. a cruise ship transfer, and like to be on our own schedule vs. sharing a taxi/set time with others.

Other methods may be quicker, but flying out the same morning we wouldn't want to stick around the ship any longer, and waiting at the airport doesn't appeal much to us either. Doing this in reverse, I bet there are taxis at the Civitavecchia train station, and so eliminating that walk may make this method more appealing.

For groups of 3, 4 or more, on a per person basis it's probably better to arrange a private taxi. Have fun whatever you choose to do!

When I was 30-something, this would have been my choice. Now that I'm 60-something, I'll opt for more Euro, less cardio.

Nevertheless, thanks for your post. Your have likely helped quite a few cruisers decide which way to go!

When I was 30-something, this would have been my choice. Now that I'm 60-something, I'll opt for more Euro, less cardio.

Nevertheless, thanks for your post. Your have likely helped quite a few cruisers decide which way to go!

I'm 40-something and I also vote for more Euro, less cardio. I don't really like Fiumicino, just flying out of there is stressful enough for me!!:D:D

Thanks for sharing... we are 66/81, so this is not an option we have done in years.

We just returned from a cruise and used Romecabs.com for a private car to the airport. Costs a little less than $200 for private car paid in euros including tip for the driver. We have used Romecabs.com before and will continue to do so.

This a non stressful way to end a trip. We generally try to get off the ship by 8-8:30 am, for a 1pm flight.

It is nice there are lots of options for folks. We saw lots of folks heading to the train with their luggage on our way back to Rome.

We sailed out of and into Civi in the fall of 2011 on Norwegien Jade. After 5 days in Rome we took the train from Rome Termini to Civi and it worked out fine. When we disembarked we shared a van with 6 other CC cruisers. Our cost was 25 euro each.

I did not want to begin our long trip home with the exertion and stress.:eek: But you are correct. It is doable!

Archived