Auto Tipping

I am wondering about the autotipping that is automatically added to your account on board. I know this is a touchy subject so please don't attack me I am honestly just asking. On our last cruise we payed the auto tips and payed each person that gave us direct service a nice tip at the end of the cruise. I have read the breakdown of the auto tips and some of the people I do not remember ever even seeing (i.e. Maitre'd we did anytime dining and never saw them) so I was wondering what the problem is with taking them off. If I decided to do this I would tip the people that help me directly in an amount that exceeded the amount of auto tips because I know these people work extremely hard. Again I am honestly not trying to get out of tipping and will tip either way just wondering. Thanks for your help!

I am wondering about the autotipping that is automatically added to your account on board. I know this is a touchy subject so please don't attack me I am honestly just asking. On our last cruise we payed the auto tips and payed each person that gave us direct service a nice tip at the end of the cruise. I have read the breakdown of the auto tips and some of the people I do not remember ever even seeing (i.e. Maitre'd we did anytime dining and never saw them) so I was wondering what the problem is with taking them off. If I decided to do this I would tip the people that help me directly in an amount that exceeded the amount of auto tips because I know these people work extremely hard. Again I am honestly not trying to get out of tipping and will tip either way just wondering. Thanks for your help!

The Maitre'd is no longer a part of the auto tips. The auto tips go to your steward, waitstaff and behind the scenes workers such as those at the buffet (I do not know for sure exactly who gets a share of it, but that part is only $2 per person per day which doesn't split out to too many people). Of course the auto tips are 100% in your discretion.

Thanks for the replies! For some reason I must have misread something before our last cruise because I had thought that the Maitre'd got a large amount of the tips but it makes me feel better to know that the people that wait on us directly are the ones getting the tips.

I tip the maitre d separately if he did something special for me. I often travel with my parents and they can't sit in booths and my father had food allergies so i often seek out the maitre d for help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

We leave the auto tips in place and if someone goes above and beyond for us we tip them cash directly as well.

This is also what we do. This way everyone get something but those that go above expected service are rewarded according.

maitre d' never was part of the auto tips since Ive been cruising Carnival.

not listed in the break down and never has been.

There used to be a separate envelope if you wanted to tip him.

They no longer give out this envelope, you have to ask for it.

Seems to be a common misconception?

Some of this is common knowledge after a few cruises on Carnival but for those just starting out...

Tips are charged at a rate of $11.50 per day. Of this amount the line divides it out as follows:

$3.70 per day goes to your cabin stewards

$5.80 per day goes to your Dining Room waiters

$2.00 per day goes to "Alternative" service people defined as kitchen staff, Entertainment, Guest Services personnel and "other" hotel staff members.

Definitions aren't available for who Guest Services and Entertainment personnel are. Not really sure who they are and I'm not going to expend any energy trying to figure it out. What we do is leave auto-tips alone (we always pre-pay them and add them to the cost of the cruise) and for those individuals who we actually interact with (MDR staff and stewards generally) we leave extra as they always go above and beyond what is expected.

Archived