Denali to Whittier

shofer

We are taking the DIY tour to Alaska and will be bused from Denali to Whittier to board the Island Princess.

How long is this bus ride? Do they offer any snacks or sandwiches for the ride? Wondering if we will get there in time to grab some lunch or will the buffet be closed?

Sue

Allow 7 hours.

No they won't "offer" any food, unless it is specifically mentioned in your itinerary, but you should have a couple stops to purchase something. Still I would suggest you take something with you from the Denali area.

We are taking the DIY tour to Alaska and will be bused from Denali to Whittier to board the Island Princess.

How long is this bus ride? Do they offer any snacks or sandwiches for the ride? Wondering if we will get there in time to grab some lunch or will the buffet be closed?

Sue

We have the same itinerary except we are on the Sapphire Princess on May 25th. I haven't been able to find out any exact details either which leads me to think that - aside from the fact that we'll need to provide our own food/beverage - that they keep their stopping schedule flexible to adjust for weather/traffic issues.

I'm going to try and have snacks, etc. in my bag just on the off chance there is a real problem.

We have the same itinerary except we are on the Sapphire Princess on May 25th. I haven't been able to find out any exact details either which leads me to think that - aside from the fact that we'll need to provide our own food/beverage - that they keep their stopping schedule flexible to adjust for weather/traffic issues.

I'm going to try and have snacks, etc. in my bag just on the off chance there is a real problem.

Actually I doubt the stopping schedule will be "flexible". There are fixed stops they use, and their times are pretty ballpark.

If you want more details, perhaps, you could get some, if you posted your itinerary. Necessary are the modes of transit used.

Actually I doubt the stopping schedule will be "flexible". There are fixed stops they use, and their times are pretty ballpark.

If you want more details, perhaps, you could get some, if you posted your itinerary. Necessary are the modes of transit used.

It is the standard DIY schedule of one night in Anchorage, bused to McKinley Princess Lodge for one night, then train to the Denali Princess Lodge for two nights, then the bus from Denali to Whittier for embarkation.

I've called Princess directly as well as the TA that we used to book through and neither one of them could tell me where we would stop, if we would stop, etc. I've called several times. Basically unless an itinerary is specified/specific we won't know until we get on the bus and find out if I'm understanding what they are saying. I'm preparing for what I can and we'll just have to live with it and be flexible for the rest. I've asked on the Alaska area as well as in the Princess area on CC and no one could really give me anything specific beyond where they've seen tour buses stop.

Sue

If you are doing a DIY, I assume that you are renting a car. If so and you rent from Avis, you can drive to Whittier and drop it off there. That is what we did last summer when wwe combined a DIY w a cruise.

The drive to Whittier is very pretty and worth doing.

DON

OP is taking a "DIY" tour through Princess which in reality is a bare-bones cruisetour with only transportation and lodges arranged. Once on board your ship you will have no problem finding food, but in all likelihood, you will be looking at dinner soon after you get to Whittier.

From Denali, I doubt the buses would do the 35 mile round trip spur road add on, so your FIRST available "stop" would be Wasilla, which I have seen buses stopped at, but paid no attention if they has passengers. :) This would be after riding about 4 hours, if they stopped in Anchorage- it would be another hour, then 1 1/4 hours plus tunnel to Whittier. So it is likely it very may well be a Wasilla stop. There is a fair amount of food options, with a surprising good one being the deli dept at Fred Meyer. Wide fresh selection that should be good for most any diet preference. Carrs/Safeway, is good too. A few fast food selections, depends where they unload? There is a bathroom on these buses, so one stop is probably all you are going to get.

Calling Princess, is giving you operators, who are not in Alaska, and likely haven't even been there. They are not the source to use. Instead, in a few weeks, if you called the Denali Princess- direct, you probably would get the details. Even if you asked a specific person, that you say you will call back "next week" etc, they may find out for you perhaps. I find Alaska workers, many times to go above and beyond. So, perhaps, consider establishing an introduction with an employee getting their name, and work schedule will get this information- depending how bad you want it. :)

Thanks everyone for your great input. Thanks Budget Queen for the idea to stop at the deli at Fred Meyer. (I'm guessing that's a grocery store?)

Does anyone know about what time our bus will be leaving? Seven Hours is a long time to sit on a bus. I'd better bring some Dramamine and bottled water. LOL.

Sue

Archived