Getting bumped from a handicap cabin?

mfhonli

I booked a cabin (9202 on the Splendor) with a Carninval agent on the phone. I did not ask for a handicap cabin; he did not tell me this was a handicap cabin, but I have come to learn that it is. I'm reading in other threads about people getting bumped from handicap cabins because there was a need for a disabled passenger. I really like the location of this cabin and would hate to loose it. Is it possible I might get bumped from this cabin? Has anyone had this happen to them? Did they notify you prior to departure?

Yes there is a small chance of this...they do not open these rooms up until other cabins are close to being sold out or after final pymt most HC cruisers know to get there cabins early....

Remember though that if they need it they need it... they wont move you unless they have too....and will let you know as soon as they know

Edited by woodey

I sure hope they would notify you in advance if they move you to a different cabin - which I would expect Carnival to do if someone with a need for an accessible cabin requests one.

How soon is you sailing? As previously mentioned, I didn't think they made these available to those without a need until very close to sailing.

When are you sailing? Yes, they can bump you. They may not notify you. A HC cabin can be a pain- make sure you follow the directions on working the door, etc. Takes a little extra time to figure it out.

I sure hope they would notify you in advance if they move you to a different cabin - which I would expect Carnival to do if someone with a need for an accessible cabin requests one.

How soon is you sailing? As previously mentioned, I didn't think they made these available to those without a need until very close to sailing.

I am thinking they do not. Its your "job" to keep an eye on your booking.

We bumped a person out of the HC cabin. his luggage was sent to our cabin so that tells me he did not pay attention to his booking and checked his luggage thinking he was going to be in that cabin.

If you are past final payment I think your chances of being moved are slim

If you are not sailing soon-- your chances just got higher

There is only 28 HC cabins onboard this ship and it seems 9202 is bigger plus a cheaper price tag.

It seems reasonable that they would bump you from an Accessible cabin if it's needed for someone else. Hopefully you would get an upgrade because of the inconvenience.

I can't imagine Carnival would wait longer than needed to inform you.

Sometimes people require accessible cabins at the last minute if they get injured or disabled prior to the cruise.

With that said, I don't think it's something to be overly concerned about.

I'm sure most people would be happy to accommodate someone less fortunate, if needed, as long as their needs are met too.

Sometimes people require accessible cabins at the last minute if they get injured or disabled prior to the cruise. .

I doubt the cruiselines will bump someone at the last minute. Before final payment yes.

OP cruise is in August and that gives a HC person time still to purchase that cabin

When are you sailing? Yes, they can bump you. They may not notify you. A HC cabin can be a pain- make sure you follow the directions on working the door, etc. Takes a little extra time to figure it out.

I have cruised in a HC cabin 2 times and never thought there was a difference in how the door worked?? The only difference is that the bathroom is bigger to allow for wheelchair access and the door is a little wider. If you are bumper from a HC cabin they can only upgrade you or put you in a the same category...

I doubt the cruiselines will bump someone at the last minute. Before final payment yes.

OP cruise is in August and that gives a HC person time still to purchase that cabin

What if someone comes along and books in July and needs a HC cabin? I would expect Carnival to bump OP and provide the HC cabin to the person needed it.

I thought ADA would require Carnival to provide the HC cabin if they are able to (by bumping someone booked in an HC that doesn't need it).

Edited by emelvee

We had a HC suite and you had to push the button for the door and wait. And wait. And wait and wait and wait. If you pushed or pulled the door to speed up the process it froze and you had to wait for it to reset itself.

What if someone comes along and books in July and needs a HC cabin? I would expect Carnival to bump OP and provide the HC cabin to the person needed it.

I thought ADA would require Carnival to provide the HC cabin if they are able to (by bumping someone booked in an HC that doesn't need it).

I agree. I don't think it matters when anyone booked. If someone that legitimately needs a HC cabin books 3 days before sailing, and there are other cabins available, a non-HC person would have to be bumped to a new cabin.

So if a HC person were to need a HC cabin and book it a month before sailing, and the only cabins left were insides, would they move someone who had a HC suite, but didn't need one, to an inside? That makes no sense- and I got my upsell call for the HC grand suite at least 2 weeks out.

So if a HC person were to need a HC cabin and book it a month before sailing, and the only cabins left were insides, would they move someone who had a HC suite, but didn't need one, to an inside? That makes no sense- and I got my upsell call for the HC grand suite at least 2 weeks out.

I'm pretty sure they would only bump you in this situation if they had another suite available.

Being just two weeks out, Carnival was probably figuring it was unlikely someone needing a HC cabin and wanting a GS would come along.

Edited by emelvee

I am booked in a HC for a cruise on Pride in Aug. My PVP asked why I wanted this cabin, it has a much bigger balcony, 8239, he advised me I could get bumped if the cabin was needed for someone with a need, I told him I understood, and would not have an issue if that happened, as far as when it was available, this was 6 months ago, and there are lots of cabins still available in this category, so they don't hold them in reserve till last minute.

I am booked in a HC for a cruise on Pride in Aug. My PVP asked why I wanted this cabin, it has a much bigger balcony, 8239, he advised me I could get bumped if the cabin was needed for someone with a need, I told him I understood, and would not have an issue if that happened, as far as when it was available, this was 6 months ago, and there are lots of cabins still available in this category, so they don't hold them in reserve till last minute.

IMHO it is a lousy policy. Other cruise lines refuse to book non-eligible people into a handicap cabin and some of them require a doctor's note to prove you need an accessible cabin. They should keep the handicap cabins out of the general inventory and if you need one you should have to book through special needs and prove need.

I am just kind of sensitive to the subject because my Mom was in a wheelchair the last 3 years of her life and I know what hoops we had to jump through to get a handicap cabin with other lines yet when we called Carnival we were told they had none available. I bought a wheelchair that would fit through the Carnival doorway so I could take her on the Glory. I was livid when I found out that the neighbors in the handicapped cabin did not need it - just wanted it for the larger space and balcony. They said, "Gee, I guess you should be in our cabin with your Mother in a wheelchair." I asked them if they were contacted about getting bumped and said they would have been glad to move, but were never asked.

Edited by DebJ14

IMHO it is a lousy policy. Other cruise lines refuse to book non-eligible people into a handicap cabin and some of them require a doctor's note to prove you need an accessible cabin. They should keep the handicap cabins out of the general inventory and if you need one you should have to book through special needs and prove need.

As long as they provide someone needed an accessible cabin with one (by bumping someone not needed it if necessary), I'm ok with Carnival anyone to book them. But they need to make their policy clear - that the non-eligible person could be bumped is someone eligible comes along later.

Edited by emelvee

I'm pretty sure they would only bump you in this situation if they had another suite available.

Being just two weeks out, Carnival was probably figuring it was unlikely someone needing a HC cabin and wanting a GS would come along.

On the Triumph in May 2011 we wanted to upgrade to a GS from an OS 3 weeks before sailing. I saw 1 GS in inventory and called Carnival asking to make the switch. They refused to sell us the cabin because it was an accessible cabin. It disappeared shortly, so I am hoping it went to a truly needy person. A few days later another cabin showed up that was not handicapped and Carnival moved us (for a big fee, of course). This is the way it should be.

. They should keep the handicap cabins out of the general inventory and if you need one you should have to book through special needs and prove need.

its against the law to do that

A HC person knows to book far enough in advance. If its a month before cruising-- you are not going to be bumped from the cabin. Many of these are given out as guaranttee cabins.

A HC is a PITA if you don't need it. The balcony might be larger but the ramp-like slant makes it impossible to slide loungers/chairs backwards. The doors, as I mentioned, work automatically and you have to wait for them to open/shut. The large shower is nice but do you really need a shower AND a tub? I would never pay more for an upsell to a HC suite again. As I said, we got the call about two weeks before sailing and I wanted the extra room. Not worth the price I paid.

We got bumped out of an OV for a slightly different reason.

We are 2 people and one of our early cruises, the cabin we chose held 3 people, but it was an OV on the curve in the back that we booked specifically. A month before sailing, someone wanted to add someone to their reservation, and now needed an OV cabin for 3 people. The only open cabin was an OV for 2 (the one they were getting out of and a few 2 person insides)

We lost our cabin because it held three and we were only two. Since the cabins were the same rate, no problem, but we lost the cabin we wanted.

Now after 30 cruises, we know NOT to book a cabin that holds more that 2 if you don't want the possibility of getting bumped.

Our friends were bumped from a 4J, the one facing the front with the walkway outside. (Deck 6) It is officially a interior with obstructed view. They had the one next to us and got bumped out 6 days before sailing because with only interiors left, they were moved out to a regular interior on deck 2 to accommodate someone handicap in a scooter. Since they were ES and already matched the price, all the interiors, including the 4J were now all the same price, so no compensation.

They were angry because the person who bumped them, even though they had a scooter, they parked it every night outside the disco, and danced every evening. When they complained, they were told due to HIPPA laws, they could not challenge why they said they needed it.

Lesson learned, no handicap cabins and no cabins that hold more than 2

Edited by bookcreator

I am just kind of sensitive to the subject because my Mom was in a wheelchair the last 3 years of her life and I know what hoops we had to jump through to get a handicap cabin with other lines yet when we called Carnival we were told they had none available. I bought a wheelchair that would fit through the Carnival doorway so I could take her on the Glory. I was livid when I found out that the neighbors in the handicapped cabin did not need it - just wanted it for the larger space and balcony. They said, "Gee, I guess you should be in our cabin with your Mother in a wheelchair." I asked them if they were contacted about getting bumped and said they would have been glad to move, but were never asked.

Actually it may depend on who you talk to.

My husband was disabled and years ago when there were very few handicap cabins, Carnival was the only cruise line that offered to contact people in handicap cabins to see if they needed one, and if not, move them. On all the other lines (including those owned by Carnival,) when a cabin was out of inventory, it was gone. In addition once when I was talking to the Special Needs desk about something else, they realized that a PVP booked us into an HC cabin that would be very tight for a wheelchair and moved us to a slightly larger HC cabin. These were some of the reasons why I became a Carnival fan.

Edited by DEL67

Our friends were bumped from a 4J, the one facing the front with the walkway outside. (Deck 6) It is officially a interior with obstructed view. They had the one next to us and got bumped out 6 days before sailing because with only interiors left, they were moved out to a regular interior on deck 2 to accommodate someone handicap in a scooter. Since they were ES and already matched the price, all the interiors, including the 4J were now all the same price, so no compensation.

too late to do something about it now-- but they should have been moved to an oceanveiw cabin not an interior on deck 2 as that was a downgrade.

But I try to always warn people NOT to book a cabin that holds more people that what they are booking. last cruise the people next to use was moved from the spa deck to be our next door neighbor. This cabin held two people- the one they had booked was for 4. Their entire family was on that deck. They did not know until they checked in. (see it pays to check your booking BEFORE you get to the pier)