Getting bumped from a handicap cabin?

mfhonli

A HC person knows to book far enough in advance. If its a month before cruising-- you are not going to be bumped from the cabin. Many of these are given out as guaranttee cabins.

Why should a hc person have to book far in advance? A non handicap person doesn't have too. And if a non handicap person is in a handicap room, they should be bumped.

Why should a hc person have to book far in advance? A non handicap person doesn't have too. And if a non handicap person is in a handicap room, they should be bumped.

People trhat have mobility issues and enjoy cruising, almost always have to book far in advance to some extent because of the mind set of those able-bodied folks that is being discussed here. That and the limited number of hc cabins available. They will not be bumped because once the cabin is booked, it is "out of inventory" and not a matter of great concern to the cruise line.

My daughter has CP and is a full time wheelchair user. There have been a number of times that there were cruises we were interested in did not have any hc cabins available at around six months out. I have often wondered if all those booked really need them. I have to chuckle at some of the comments such as "I do have some achs and pains and probably could qualify".

I have been "connected" to adaptive sports for a good many years and the big concern is now providing for "Wounded Warriors" returning from over "There". Most had been active in sports before they lost one or more limbs. These are young people and we have been seeing more and more of the on cruise ships, and why not. Think about these young people when you book a hc room just because you like the extra space.

Edited by norcalal

If people cannot see why an able bodied person would book a HC room, nothing I say will ever convince them. My morals are in question because I booked an available room? I keep seeing "I'm not that kind of person" between the lines, and it's really a bit condescending and tiresome.

Why do you book a handicapped room if you are not handicapped?

It appears people do it to have more cabin space.

I am just really curious.

I am not handicapped and I thank my lucky stars I am not. I would never even look at a handicapped room and if they suggested it if I called I would say no, because I am NOT handicapped.

It doesn't matter if Carnival will bump you, it doesn't matter if you you luck out and no one needs it, if your not handicapped, you shouldn't book them.

IMO, you are taking away from someone that may actually need it.

I think life is funny that way, you may want to think about the meaning behind that.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

We booked very last minute and got bumped while we were already on the ship, after we had unpacked and gone to dinner. Technically, they did not bump us but called inquiring to ask if we wouldn't mind moving. We moved, no questions asked. I'm thinking that a family had booked a room without realizing how small it was if you had special needs. No big deal for us. First time we had booked this room, didn't have my heart set on it. You'll never know when you can get that call!

Not sure how it works all the time but I will tell you that when I booked my parents 3 weeks before their Imagination Cruise the PVP put me on hold, came back a couple of minutes later and told me she had moved the couple out of the Handicap Room that she booked my parents into. It's the same PVP we have used lots of times and she was knew Mom and Dad always book a Handicap Cabin...

Not sure where she put the other passengers, but this was perfect for my Mom and Dad as both have had knee replacement surgeries and Mom uses a scooter...

So, in answer to your question, YES, you can be moved, even 3 weeks prior to your cruise...

Not sure how it works all the time but I will tell you that when I booked my parents 3 weeks before their Imagination Cruise the PVP put me on hold, came back a couple of minutes later and told me she had moved the couple out of the Handicap Room that she booked my parents into. It's the same PVP we have used lots of times and she was knew Mom and Dad always book a Handicap Cabin...

Not sure where she put the other passengers, but this was perfect for my Mom and Dad as both have had knee replacement surgeries and Mom uses a scooter...

So, in answer to your question, YES, you can be moved, even 3 weeks prior to your cruise...

Thank you for sharing that! Sounds like those who have had problems or gotten the run-around need to contact your specific PVP :)

I will enjoy my cruise no matter where they put me, I would gladly give up my cabin if someone else needs it.

What if CCL moved you from your original room to a HC? This has happened,

CCL told the person they were being upgraded. Do you not take the cruise since you would never accept a HC room?

I prefer to choose my room and I research the location before I book. I never book a guarantee.

I would never accept an upgrade to a HC room. CCL is not going to force me to move to a HC cabin that I did not agree to, especially since I am not even HC.

I prefer to choose my room and I research the location before I book. I never book a guarantee.

I would never accept an upgrade to a HC room. CCL is not going to force me to move to a HC cabin that I did not agree to, especially since I am not even HC.

Actually that has happened even when the person hasn't booked a guarantee.

2 years ago I booked a guarantee and was assigned an HC cabin well after final payment. Approx 3 weeks before sailing I was called to give the cabin up to someone who needed it. I did so gladly and was assigned a cabin in the same category in a location that was not desirable. I was not happy to be assigned the original cabin but assumed at the time that they would have kept it if they felt they may need it and since I booked a "guarantee", I was pretty much stuck.

The moral of the story is:

1) If you book a guarantee, you may get stuck so be prepared for anything

2) If you book an HC cabin, you may be moved, even at last minute, and you can not expect an upgrade...... and could end up in an undesirable location.

3) If you book an HC cabin just because you want the location or extra room,......... and then are moved..... you do not deserve an upgrade or better location so just deal with it if you end up in a less than desirable stateroom in the end.

4) If you find yourself upset at the cruiseline because you are losing that nice HC cabin at the last minute..... that is karma biting you because the one you should be upset with is "you".

Edited by Javacruiser

When you book your room, don't you look at the website to see the layout and the symbols for handicapped rooms? You should have realized that before you booked. I always pick out my own rooms and make sure where they are and what kind they are. Yes, they will move you.....you might not like the room you get...the closer to the cruise the fewer rooms are available. You can also get bumped from a 4 passenger room if there are only two people in your party. Beware before you book. Don't assume someone is watching out for you!

• 9 months later...

I just ended up with a handicapped cabin on the breeze. The travel agent never mentioned it. This will be our first carnival cruise so had little experiencing booking.

My snafu is... it's a spa cabin which gives us free use of the t-pool which is a major bonus for us. If someone needs our room,and there's no spa cabins then what? Do we lose our spa perks?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Wakepatrol

Like I posted before we were placed in a HC cabin by Carnival. We loved the cabin. It was all on one level and it worked great for husband. He was able to enjoy the cruise and not be in pain.

We are leaving in September on the Liberty again and again we are in a HC cabin and put my sister in the cabin we had before. She has had 5 strokes and has mobility issues and needs one level and needs railings for the shower.

Do either of them need wheelchairs-NO but they do have issues that make a regular cabin not work for either of them. A handicap cabin has all the things that my husband and sister needs. I do not feel bad about taking a HC cabin because they are needed. And their accounts are marked as Handicap.

Off Soap Box Now.

Like I posted before we were placed in a HC cabin by Carnival. We loved the cabin. It was all on one level and it worked great for husband. He was able to enjoy the cruise and not be in pain.

We are leaving in September on the Liberty again and again we are in a HC cabin and put my sister in the cabin we had before. She has had 5 strokes and has mobility issues and needs one level and needs railings for the shower.

Do either of them need wheelchairs-NO but they do have issues that make a regular cabin not work for either of them. A handicap cabin has all the things that my husband and sister needs. I do not feel bad about taking a HC cabin because they are needed. And their accounts are marked as Handicap.

Off Soap Box Now.

The HC cabins are not just for people who use wheelchairs. Your husband and sister have needs that require the set up as well. I would have no qualms doing the same thing in your position. I hope you all have a wonderful, pain free cruise.

Off Soap Box Now.

You have need of an accessible cabin. So you are right. Not sure about the spa cabin amenities being lost due to a bump...sounds like a two and a half call session to Carnival :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I looked at booking a HC cabin on the Liberty. I was told if I were to get bumped, it would be to a similar or higher category class. So, not sure what categories are higher than the spa cabin but you may want to check this out.

There's bad news and good news here. Yes, it is possible that you'll be bumped if someone needs a handicap cabin. However, you're in a category 4J cabin. By Carnival's own rules, you can only be moved to another 4J (unlikely, as there aren't that many of them on the ship) or BETTER.

Should you be bumped, the likeliyhood is that it will be to a high-level OV, not one of the portholes above the bow thrusters. I've met two people on cruises who got bumped out of 4H HC cabins (not as good as yours) into Balconies. THEY weren't complaining. Carnival wants you to be happy.

I looked at booking a HC cabin on the Liberty. I was told if I were to get bumped, it would be to a similar or higher category class. So, not sure what categories are higher than the spa cabin but you may want to check this out.

an inside cabin being bumped will get an ocean view on the Riveria deck.

I just ended up with a handicapped cabin on the breeze. The travel agent never mentioned it. This will be our first carnival cruise so had little experiencing booking.

My snafu is... it's a spa cabin which gives us free use of the t-pool which is a major bonus for us. If someone needs our room,and there's no spa cabins then what? Do we lose our spa perks?

Thanks in advance

You will be offered an upgrade and will retain your perks. Carnival knows a lot of people book the spa rooms for the perks, so they won't take that away. The only difference would be location, so you may be far away from the spa. If you got a spa Ocean View, then you would be offered a balcony since there are no ocean views of equal value available. You might get a balcony right above the night club or in some other undesirable location, but it will still be a balcony.

You will be offered an upgrade and will retain your perks. Carnival knows a lot of people book the spa rooms for the perks' date=' so they won't take that away. The only difference would be location, so you may be far away from the spa. If you got a spa Ocean View, then you would be offered a balcony since there are no ocean views of equal value available. You might get a balcony right above the night club or in some other undesirable location, but it will still be a balcony.[/quote']

Thanks you so much. I really appreciate it.

We had that cabin on our Dec 2013 cruise. We did not know it was handicapped until we got there. Our friends booked it for us so that we would be next door to them and we were all surprised that they were HC rooms. Carnival did not ask for any proof of a handcapp which I though was kind of strange. Our friends booked those cabins because of the front "private deck" they always book at the front of the ship on all of thier cruises. I was a bit embarassed when we met our cabin steward and explained to him that we did not know. He told us not to worry, no problem, enjoy our cabin.

The bathroom is HUGE, that was a big plus and I luved being able to go out on the deck, was like having our own balcony the width of the ship. A bit breezy at night, be careful out there.

I was a bit confused as to why the HC cabins are all the way at the front of the ship. I would think they would be closer to the elevators. It's a lonnnnngggggg walk from the elevators to cabin 9202.

Enjoy !