How do you monitor single supplement discounts?

towel-animal

Just curious for all you experienced solo cruisers what sites or tools you use to monitor discounts or waivers on the single supplement? I don't always want to have to travel the studios on the NCL Epic but can't find another ship that's affordable.

I just check regularly and I have been lucky with Royal Caribbean if I check on a Sunday. My single supplement rate for my upcoming Jewel cruise is less than what they are currently asking for double occupancy. If I even wanted to upgrade to a room in the same category, it would be more than double what I paid. I'm so glad I booked it when I did.

As far as I'm aware there is no easy way to do it. I spend a little time almost every day checking prices on the cruiselines' websites and on a major online travel agency's site. I go through the beginnings of a booking for cruises that I'm interested in until I can see what the price is as a solo.

There is one online cruise agency that has a list on their site of low single supplements, but the problem with that list is that an overpriced cruise with a 35% single supplement is still going to be way more than a bargain-priced one with a 100% supplement...so I don't find the list very helpful. A lot of the cruises on the list are high-end cruise lines, though, so if you are interested in them then it may be worth searching around until you find it (since we aren't allowed to post the name.)

If there's an easier way I'd sure love to learn what it is!

Just curious for all you experienced solo cruisers what sites or tools you use to monitor discounts or waivers on the single supplement?

I consider that issue to be a "red herring," and therefore I simply ignore it. Instead, I set a budget for what I'm willing to pay (typically up to $200 per day) and then search for cruises within that budget. This has often resulted in a balcony cabin (all to myself!) on NCL.

Just curious for all you experienced solo cruisers what sites or tools you use to monitor discounts or waivers on the single supplement? I don't always want to have to travel the studios on the NCL Epic but can't find another ship that's affordable.

You could always ask your travel agent to keep an eye out for you as well. I agree that I'd never pay double to sail alone, but I also won't sail with someone simply because they've decided to offer a sale on single's supplements to fill their ship (that is, the voyage is more important than the sale).

I'd also get over the idea that the Epic's single cabins are always going to be more affordable or cheaper.......for some voyages, they're virtually the same price (or less) as traveling solo in a larger cabin.

Archived