couple missing from cruise ship in sydney

seasooze

My DH said to me this morning "Carnival is on the news again". I thought "OMG what happened to their operating ships now". I think it has become automatic to think that.

My DH said to me this morning "Carnival is on the news again". I thought "OMG what happened to their operating ships now". I think it has become automatic to think that.

Reputation matters, like it or not. Carnival gets what they get.

I find it interesting that there was nothing in the national news about the passenger death March 24 on the Coral Princess. The 55 year old woman jumped overboard. They did recover her body a few hours later. Maybe because Carnival has been in the news fairly often recently, the media focuses on them more. I feel sorry for the family involved and also for the passengers on that cruise. I know that on the Coral Princess the passenger's death cast a somber shadow over the rest of the cruise.

Not only will the media unfairly jump all over Carnival right now for anything, but it is probably more news worthy that 2 people are missing and it certainly caught my attention quickly this morning for that reason. When there are incidents like this, it usually does not involve multiple people. I was also aware of the incident on the Coral only because it was being discussed heavily on the CC boards. Dave

Mikey22, it Seems like one of your own posts on another thread has answered the question

See below..

This is why we dont do Sth Pacific cruises...its such a shame, but it is because of the good old Aussies and their behaviour when drunk.

It is something we dont ever see in other areas of the world on a cruise, I am sure its there, just not so obvious as the usual Aussie cruise haunts.

Aussies do have a bad reputation, another reason why we havent been to Bali to join the sleeveless T-shirt and thong brigade..:rolleyes:

We sailed on the Carnival Spirit last year when it repositioned to Sydney from LA. The ship was over half Aussies and the behavior you described was not present. We made some great Aussie friends and enjoyed all of the south sea islands too. We have seen more rowdy behavior on Carnival Caribbean and Mexico cruises then on that cruise. :)

The binge drinking culture in Aus/NZ is different than in the US, some would say more prevalent and even more socially acceptable. Politicans here love to wring their hands over it.

That's my 2 cents - Now back to the issue at hand.

I saw the incident on the news tonight. Then they went back into the fire on board the other ship and the Concordia. No mention of the Princess cruise ship passenger. I think the news media is just jumping on Carnival for sensationalism.

By the way, I am still going on my cruise.

People jumping off doesn't scare me. Mechanical problems do.

Mikey22, it Seems like one of your own posts on another thread has answered the question

See below..

This is why we dont do Sth Pacific cruises...its such a shame, but it is because of the good old Aussies and their behaviour when drunk.

:rolleyes:

I think you will find that biochemically, all racial groups behave in the same manner when they are intoxicated by alcohol, not just 'good old Aussies'.

Sounds like another booze cruise..

Why would a 26 and 30 yr old jump otherwise?

I was on this cruise, didn't seem like a booze cruise at all, more a family cruise with lots of children. Sounds like you've made an unfounded and unwarranted assumption.

I find it interesting that there was nothing in the national news about the passenger death March 24 on the Coral Princess. The 55 year old woman jumped overboard. They did recover her body a few hours later. Maybe because Carnival has been in the news fairly often recently, the media focuses on them more. I feel sorry for the family involved and also for the passengers on that cruise. I know that on the Coral Princess the passenger's death cast a somber shadow over the rest of the cruise.

Suicides are not generally reported in the media.

Suicides are not generally reported in the media.

So why was this reported before knowing whether it was or was not a suicide. The video shows one jump then the other. Don't know what it was.

Sent using my Commodore 64

As humans we all try to rationalise and speculate how and why things happen and we are often wrong and sometimes we get it right. We can't help feeding the beast by discussing the what, why and how on here.

Unfortunately 2 people have very likely lost their lives, which is very sad

My thoughts go out to their friends and family

After reviewing CCTV footage from the ship's surveillance cameras, police believe the couple fell from the mid-deck while the ship was 120km off Forster.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/mystery-shrouds-missing-carnival-spirit-cruise-couple/story-fncynjr2-1226638959684#ixzz2SrwyLIVK

Why did you bold and underline the word fell? That article doesn't say fell. It says she jumped then 20 seconds later he jumped, presumably to try and save her.

That is the only article that has said jumped.

Funny how that is huh? Ask yourself why.

You CAN'T fall off a cruise ship. They are designed so that is impossible. There has to be an associated intentional action to go overboard.

It's believed paramedic Paul Rossington was trying to save his partner Kristen Schroder when they plunged from a cruise ship off the NSW coast.

CCTV captured the pair falling overboard into the Tasman Sea, one immediately after the other, about 8.50pm (AEST) on Wednesday from a deck on the Carnival Spirit cruise ship.

Police called off the search for them about 5pm (AEST) on Friday after helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft, police boats and a navy ship searched 500 square nautical miles off the coast of Forster.

When police informed Mr Rossington's family about ending the search, they also provided the family with more information about the footage of the incident.

"Paul was trying to save her," a source who asked not to be identified told AAP.

The footage shows Ms Schroder going over a moment before Mr Rossington went in after her.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/05/10/08/18/search-continues-for-nsw-cruise-couple

I think its pretty poor form that some suggest they were drunk or having sex or whatever.

Those people have perished in a terrible way whatever the circumstances and they have families that will spend the rest of their lives grieving over them.

There is Black humour and there is lack of class or compassion.

More seem concerned with Carnivals reputation than the death of two young people.

What was the old saying? "If you have nothing good to say shut up"

Unfortunately Mikey people always assume alcohol is involved. Sometimes bad stuff just happens.

That is right, as they say accidents happen.

Without knowing any facts it annoys me how people speculate.

Cheers.

Archived