Couple Falls Overboard From Carnival Cruise Ship in Australia

LauraS

Sure, they can be found alive - Jonah was in a whale and lived to tell about it!

Believe in Miracles,

Jonah 1:1-17 New International Version (NIV)

Jonah Flees From the Lord

1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”

3 But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord.

4 Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship.

But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.”

7 Then the sailors said to each other, “Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity.” They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah. 8 So they asked him, “Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What kind of work do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?”

9 He answered, “I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.”

10 This terrified them and they asked, “What have you done?” (They knew he was running away from the Lord, because he had already told them so.)

11 The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, “What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?”

12 “Pick me up and throw me into the sea,” he replied, “and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you.”

13 Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. 14 Then they cried out to the Lord, “Please, Lord, do not let us die for taking this man’s life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, Lord, have done as you pleased.” 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. 16 At this the men greatly feared the Lord, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows to him.

Jonah’s Prayer

17 Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Maybe Jonah was saved because he was not on Carnival(bad joke).

People who jump can be declared a suicide. People who fall can have the insurance paid. Initially, until anyone knows for sure, the term 'falls' is the safe word to use.

Once the word suicide creeps in then insurance companies will deny most claims. Then it becomes a legal issue often letting the courts decide. So the safe approach is to say 'falls' until it can be proven otherwise.

The suicide clause in a life insurance policy precludes coverage only for the first two years after the policy is issued.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I sell Life Insurance and the contestibility/suicide clause is 2 years. Very sad either way

You are so right! My memory must be lagging after all these years away from a debit account! Thanks for posting your information...I'd not want to mislead anyone!!

So, insurance companies do pay off on suicides provided the event happens at least TWO years after the policy goes into effect....

All Biblical references aside, it is possible to survive a fall off a cruise ship and live to tell the tale. We were just discussing the woman who was on Inside Edition, telling her story about faling off the Destiny.

And it is possible to remain in the water for a lengthy period of time and still be rescued. How many hours were the survivors of the USS Indianapolis in shark-infested waters? I think it was 4 days.

But the chances of finding these two people alive are extremely remote. And becoming more so with the passage of time.

It's very sad, and made worse by atrocious attempts at galows humor.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

It appears the was no foul play and they know what and how it happened according to USA today:

"There is indication from the shipboard video of what transpired," the (Carnival) statement says. "There is no evidence of foul play. However, out of respect for the families, we are not going to publicly disclose the details of what occurred at this time"

That is a very interesting quote from Carnival. Not to assume anything but hummm...

Would suicide be considered "foul play" or not since it's self-inflicted?

Stupid, plain stupid even if its a double suicides. If i wanted to kill myself i wouldnt do it a way that the whole planet and a cruise line are implicated!

Most people who commit suicide are presenting symptoms of underlying disorders that can be successfully treated. After treatment, survivors wonder to themselves how they could ever consider killing themselves & yes, it is a crime.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Too bad mental illness is still considered something it is not - many lives are destroyed from what can be prevented, treated with respect and handled a whole lot different. Wonder if illnesses like colds and flu caused people to commit to commit suicide if it would be swept under the rug like it is with mental depression?

We read about this today and once again wonder.. how does one 'fall' off a ship. Possible - of course - probable - not. No one really seems to know why this tragedy occurred yet.. however, I do have one question which begs to be answered..

Why have cameras all over the ship if no one is monitoring them?

In NY and other large cities, they have cameras to catch people in the act of commiting a criminal act or running some red lights, etc.however these are manned by "humans" who can actually see what is hapenning when it is occurring. SO.. again, if you don't monitor your cameras why have them on board? I don't mind cameras because I thought they were in part for my safety... who knew it was just for "review", sometimes. icon8.gif

C

We read about this today and once again wonder.. how does one 'fall' off a ship. Possible - of course - probable - not. No one really seems to know why this tragedy occurred yet.. however, I do have one question which begs to be answered..

In NY and other large cities, they have cameras to catch people in the act of commiting a criminal act or running some red lights, etc.however these are manned by "humans" who can actually see what is hapenning when it is occurring. SO.. again, if you don't monitor your cameras why have them on board? I don't mind cameras because I thought they were in part for my safety... who knew it was just for "review", sometimes. icon8.gif

C

To use as evidence, not for continual monitoring.

And how is it possible to fall off a ship? Rhetorical question.... If you're not 9 feet tall or standing on a table... How is it possible?

That is a very interesting quote from Carnival. Not to assume anything but hummm...

Would suicide be considered "foul play" or not since it's self-inflicted?

No. Foul play would mean a homicide. So that means one party either was fooling around and fell, and the other jumped in after, or one party jumped overboard and the other either went in after or held on to the jumper and they both didn't make it.

C

falling present participle of fall (Verb)

Verb

• Move downward, typically rapidly and freely without control, from a higher to a lower level.
  • Become detached accidentally and drop to the ground: "my glasses fell off and broke".

So, It's not really a question if they have fallen, but more so What caused them to fall. Now, the question: Will Carnival or any authority seeing the tapes disclose what caused the couple to fall overboard?

RIP you rowdy cruisers. We're happy it doesn't happen more often, but there have been many reports of cruisers having fallen overboard.

Hi all- we have been on alot of cruises... Carnival, Princess, Ncl etc.

and I have never seen how anyone could fall over.

What sucks about that news ,for all the cruise lines, is a newbie or

anyone thinking of cruising will be reluctant to go..

that is a shame!:(

Of course, it is extremely devastating for the family &friends

and not helping Carnival either.

just sayin'

Donnakg

No. Foul play would mean a homicide. So that means one party either was fooling around and fell, and the other jumped in after, or one party jumped overboard and the other either went in after or held on to the jumper and they both didn't make it.

Or... Horrible to think but I gotta add... I guess it's possible they held hands and jumped together.

What's not funny to one is funny to another, you know I like red, you like black, lighten UP!

Sorry, I have a wonderful sense of humor, but I found the comments to be totally lacking in humor as well as compassion.

Sorry, I have a wonderful sense of humor, but I found the comments to be totally lacking in humor as well as compassion.

Ok, I get that you're upset but there's no need to call someone out repeatedly for being lighthearted. I wasn't upset, no one else appears to be, others were joking, best to just move on rather than trying to make someone else out to be cold hearted. We're really quite removed from this situation and these people and at this point it's like you're moving beyond chastising and into trying to make someone feel bad yourself.

The names and photos of the couple have been released. They look young and very fit and I hope they are still out there. There is a massive rescue operation with boats and planes and they have the latitude and longitude of the incident. Good luck to them. The photos and reports suggest they fell from a mid deck private balcony.

ok, i get that you're upset but there's no need to call someone out repeatedly for being lighthearted. I wasn't upset, no one else appears to be, others were joking, best to just move on rather than trying to make someone else out to be cold hearted. We're really quite removed from this situation and these people and at this point it's like you're moving beyond chastising and into trying to make someone feel bad yourself.

amen!!

Wasn't someone watching the security cam that picked this up? Why wait until docking to make a report? :confused: Surely if someone was manningthe camera station, they could ahve reported it. Not wait for dembarkation.

It's not a prison. Nobody is manning the camera's but they are used to find out what happened like they would in a store.

It's not a prison. Nobody is manning the camera's but they are used to find out what happened like they would in a store.

Paperback: authorities are not ruling out a suicide pact.

That wold make an interesting book.

:cool:

Archived