Couple Falls Overboard From Carnival Cruise Ship in Australia

LauraS

My heart goes out to the family and friends that were with this couple. What a way to end a vacation. There's obviously a lot more to the story. But having cruised 5 times I know that it's not easy to just fall off of a huge ship. And they are all huge. Something beyond normal activity was taking place. The railings are high enough that even for a tall person, you can't just lose your balance and fall. I wish news outlets, in their zeal to trash cruising, would state some basic facts about cruiseship railings and protocol if something tragic happens.

Now time for me to check for price drops for my upcoming trip!:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

While doing it on the railing, she gets caught up in the passion and loses her balance - Trying to keep from falling, she thinks of the term "Grab Vine, Grab Vine", reaches out and grabs it, taking him with her overboard. :eek:

After they realize what happened, there they are in the ocean, the ship long gone, with only a fleeting thought of how they should have paid more attention to being more careful. Now sober, they make a nice snack for the sea creatures lurking in the dark waters. A new record of floating for 13+ hours?

All the while, Carnival thinking - Why us? Why is this happening to us again? What did we do to deserve all this attention and bad luck? The past deceit finally catching up with us now? Transparency of dangers at sea may be finally brought forward - There are dangers everywhere, but they seem to expand when combined with alcohol, party atmosphere, new surroundings away from home.

May the joy of cruising not be hampered by ongoing unusual circumstances.

I can't comment on the tragedy or it's cause, but I can tell you it's a misconception that insurance proceeds won't be paid out if a death is ruled a suicide. Policies state no proceeds are paid if the suicide occurs within the first six months after the policy is purchased; after six months the policy pays as if the death was natural.

I guess insurance companies figure a person planning to commit suicide won't buy a policy and then wait six months to kill thmselves. I was an insurance agent for years and I don't believe anything's changed. Check the wording of your own policy to be sure....

I sell Life Insurance and the contestibility/suicide clause is 2 years. Very sad either way

I've been on a lot of cruises, I just can't figure out how you could fall off the ship, unless you are drunk and/or doing something very dumb. I feel sorry for these people and I hope they find them alive.

While doing it on the railing, she gets caught up in the passion and loses her balance - Trying to keep from falling, she thinks of the term "Grab Vine, Grab Vine", reaches out and grabs it, taking him with her overboard. :eek:

After they realize what happened, there they are in the ocean, the ship long gone, with only a fleeting thought of how they should have paid more attention to being more careful. Now sober, they make a nice snack for the sea creatures lurking in the dark waters. A new record of floating for 13+ hours?

All the while, Carnival thinking - Why us? Why is this happening to us again? What did we do to deserve all this attention and bad luck? The past deceit finally catching up with us now? Transparency of dangers at sea may be finally brought forward - There are dangers everywhere, but they seem to expand when combined with alcohol, party atmosphere, new surroundings away from home.

GREAT summation, thank goodness for mature grapes!

^^^^^^

By FAR the most insensitive post I have ever read on here.I find it hard to believe you took the time to type this...

This couple not doubt leaves behind friends and family that truly loved them.Lots of sorrow and grief for those people.

^^^^^^

By FAR the most insensitive post I have ever read on here.I find it hard to believe you took the time to type this...

This couple not doubt leaves behind friends and family that truly loved them.Lots of sorrow and grief for those people.

My Priest said HUMOR is GOOD for sorrow!

I believe there was an incident a few years ago where someone fell over the railing when they lost their balance while dancing on the balcony table.

Balcony table??:confused:

Well, there you have it...hahaa

I just don't get it - how do 2 people fall off? The news is saying that perhaps 1 jumped off to save the other but that would be stupid - wouldn't the smart thing to do - stay on the ship and report a person overboard? I'm starting to think that there should be an I.Q. test you have to pass to cruise.

I'm with you Jane. I will be taking my 14th cruise and for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can fall overboard unless they do something stupid.

I have searched the ships for vulnerable areas and it's plain and simple.....there are no possible areas that I can find that anyone can "fall" over the side.

This is sad no matter how you look at it. It could have been so many things....one jumping to save the other, suicide pact, romantic shenanigans gone wrong, domestic dispute...who knows. I'm sorry for the family....it's hard to not have that closure. My prayers are with them!

I hope they are saved and if not, their family gets some kind of closure.

I do not see how they could have fallen off either, unless they were being careless and/or reckless by getting up on a table or something.

^^^^^^

We're so sick and tired of the bad press. When people do something stupid, no matter what the motivation is, all bets are off at this point. If you jump off a moving cruise ship COME ON, you have to know you are going to die, period. It's just beyond. Beyond.

one has to wonder what is said during Carnival Board Meetings....."oh no, not again...." How much more can that company survive. The negatives seem to be endless.

I am sorry for the couple overboard, no matter how or why they got there and they could be found alive ....it can happen.

There it was on the news this morning-"Another Tragedy in Carnival"- Yes it's a tragedy, but Carnival didn't cause it. so , sad that this is what makes the news regarding Carnival. Then they talked about the Triumph, the Costa Concordia, and another Costa ship, also no electricity, bathroom, etc.

Why isn't someone watching the cameras? sounds like a good job. Boring, but good. Jumping, falling, has nothing to do with the cruise line, it has everything to do with the individual. So sad. But please lets not make this Carnival news, lets force the press to state, cruise news.

Okay I just read this tragic story from "Huffington Post"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/cruise-passengers-fall-overboard_n_3244952.html

Please note how AFTER they give the news of the missing couple who went overboard they spend several paragraphs telling about ALL the bad things that have happened to ships belongs to CCL.

The news is out to get them!!!

Okay I just read this tragic story from "Huffington Post"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/cruise-passengers-fall-overboard_n_3244952.html

Please note how AFTER they give the news of the missing couple who went overboard they spend several paragraphs telling about ALL the bad things that have happened to ships belongs to CCL.

The news is out to get them!!!

PLEASE list some reasons the NEWS is Out To Get Carnival (and why), vs reporting on them (curious/interested stockholder).

I wouldn't say that they are stupid. Yes it would have been better to alert someone else or even grab a life jacket or two before jumping in but I can understand the impulse to go after someone you love.

I have read many stories of parents or spouses jumping into raging rivers or rip tides to save a loved one... Sometimes both are saved, other times only one is saved and there are even times when both are lost.

Agreed. I would jump in after my DD first, without even thinking about it. Of course its not the smart thing to do, but I would do it anyway.

DH, I would probably think about it first. Not because I don't love DH, because I absolutely do. But assuming that DD was with me, I would not want to worry about her trying to come in after us too. And DH is a much stronger swimmer than I, and he would probably have a better chance at survival if I was not in the water, bringing him down.

"Carnival in trouble again!" CNN breaking news... Ford/Chevy/Toyota don't get that headline when someone gets a DUI and kills themselves or worse.

Yes I understand why news companies do that. It's just sad they make sure you know it's CARNIVAL and use the word "VICTIMS" before they even talk about what actually happened.

Perhaps if cruise ships had these installed:

I hate that everything needs 'padded walls' or in this case, literal safety nets as the answer. Adults need to start taking responsibility for their actions. Hotels don't build as many balconies, and if they do it's extremely high glass walls (Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas).

This is crazy, anyone who has been on a cruise knows it is virtually impossible to FALL overboard. Unless you doing something stupid !!! These had to have jumped or pushed overboard. Didn't family miss them before debarkation?

I am of the side that says NO accident here

unless a stupid booze filled accident

of all the "tragedies" over the years, most are suicides...a couple "homicide" but ONLY domestic variety - no serial killers stalking the decks

some are also just plain stupidity : drunks dancing on the table, the couple doing the "balcony club" who went over....the woman on NCL who had the bright (NOT) idea of jumping from her balcony to her friends...yikes

None of these "fell" ...well maybe the guy on Royal years ago who climbed up to puke

No one just was blown by the wind, no one leaned on a railing and it collapsed....no one just tripped and whoops went over the rail (of course not they are really high)

These cruise lawyers are milking the system to get their cut

I think more of these happen on carnival simply due to numbers : more ships, more passengers, more incidents. The party/booze element might have something to do with it too?

It appears the was no foul play and they know what and how it happened according to USA today:

"There is indication from the shipboard video of what transpired," the (Carnival) statement says. "There is no evidence of foul play. However, out of respect for the families, we are not going to publicly disclose the details of what occurred at this time"

one has to wonder what is said during Carnival Board Meetings....."oh no' date=' not again...." How much more can that company survive. The negatives seem to be endless.

I am sorry for the couple overboard, no matter how or why they got there and they could be found alive ....it can happen.[/quote']

Sure, they can be found alive - Jonah was in a whale and lived to tell about it!

Believe in Miracles,

Jonah 1:1-17 New International Version (NIV)

Jonah Flees From the Lord

1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”

3 But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord.

4 Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship.

But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.”

7 Then the sailors said to each other, “Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity.” They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah. 8 So they asked him, “Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What kind of work do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?”

9 He answered, “I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.”

10 This terrified them and they asked, “What have you done?” (They knew he was running away from the Lord, because he had already told them so.)

11 The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, “What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?”

12 “Pick me up and throw me into the sea,” he replied, “and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you.”

13 Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. 14 Then they cried out to the Lord, “Please, Lord, do not let us die for taking this man’s life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, Lord, have done as you pleased.” 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. 16 At this the men greatly feared the Lord, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows to him.

Jonah’s Prayer

17 Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Archived