Couple Falls Overboard From Carnival Cruise Ship in Australia

LauraS

The thing that always gets me with these stories is the use of the word "falls".

You can fall off your chair, you can fall off the curb, you can even trip and fall over an ottoman in your living room, but I still can't understand how you can "fall" over a more than waist high railing on a cruise ship balcony.

And I agree, why would someone's "friends and family" that the article states they were cruising with not report it and wait until Carnival cleared the ship.

You have to be 6'5 for it to be waist high! Someone jumped!

The thing that always gets me with these stories is the use of the word "falls".

You can fall off your chair, you can fall off the curb, you can even trip and fall over an ottoman in your living room, but I still can't understand how you can "fall" over a more than waist high railing on a cruise ship balcony.

By leaning out far enough that your center of gravity is outside the balcony. Then gravity will do the rest.

News here in Australia is saying that from footage they are almost certain that this was no accident and one of the couple jumped and the other immediately after... sounds like either a suicide or some stupid drunken decision

News here in Australia is saying that from footage they are almost certain that this was no accident and one of the couple jumped and the other immediately after... sounds like either a suicide or some stupid drunken decision

Just found this online from an Australian paper:

VIDEO footage from aboard the Carnival Spirit cruise liner appears to show a young woman jump from the deck before her panic-stricken boyfriend follows her over the railing about 20 seconds later..

A description of the security footage was given by police yesterday as they called off their forlorn search for paramedic Paul Rossington, 30, and his real estate agent girlfriend Kristen Schroder, 27.

The couple is presumed dead, more than 48 hours after plunging from the ship. Detectives who spent Friday enhancing and analysing surveillance footage from the ship said Ms Schroder appeared to jump from the mid-deck, followed a short time later by Mr Rossington.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the couple's fall and they were investigating the possibility Ms Schroder jumped and her boyfriend tried to rescue her."

Paperback: authorities are not ruling out a suicide pact.

That wold make an interesting book.

:cool:

Seago2, now you make the wheels turn. Hmm, a suicide pact made to look like an accident for the insurance money, to save a desperate realitive's family with the sick child who needs the expensive operation. (lol)

Just found this online from an Australian paper:

VIDEO footage from aboard the Carnival Spirit cruise liner appears to show a young woman jump from the deck before her panic-stricken boyfriend follows her over the railing about 20 seconds later..

A description of the security footage was given by police yesterday as they called off their forlorn search for paramedic Paul Rossington, 30, and his real estate agent girlfriend Kristen Schroder, 27.

The couple is presumed dead, more than 48 hours after plunging from the ship. Detectives who spent Friday enhancing and analysing surveillance footage from the ship said Ms Schroder appeared to jump from the mid-deck, followed a short time later by Mr Rossington.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the couple's fall and they were investigating the possibility Ms Schroder jumped and her boyfriend tried to rescue her."

This makes me feel ill.

sure enough, local news this morning is still reporting that two people "fell" off a Carnival Ship. There is big difference between falling and jumping. I kept thinking to myself: how can you "fall"? Was the railing missing in an area on the ship? :rolleyes:

Anyway, sorry to hear sad news as always. Sad for the families of the people.

Possibly!

There are (according to one news report) over 600 cameras recording stuff throughout the ship. They did go back to review the films and saw the couple "falling." I would think it would be almost impossible to "see" everything as it is happening. There were no eye-witnesses. Just hoping this story has a happy ending. Prayers out to the large group of family members cruising with them.

Fallen???????

To me when they say fallen means by accident, it is said one went overboard and the bridge video could not determine if it was the male or female that went first, fallowed by the 2nd, let’s say that the first person was setting on the railing and fell off it then the 2nd person would have jumped over the rail after that person, not also fallen. What is to say that both people climbed/ jumped over the rail into the sea.

The bridge camera is not maned 24/7 they are there to record the side of the ship, if they looked at the camera screen all the time, then there are some that would complain that Carnival was spying on them on their balcony.

Seago2, now you make the wheels turn. Hmm, a suicide pact made to look like an accident for the insurance money, to save a desperate realitive's family with the sick child who needs the expensive operation. (lol)

Work it, PBW.

sure enough, local news this morning is still reporting that two people "fell" off a Carnival Ship. There is big difference between falling and jumping.

Not after the jumper stops going up.

Ok, I get that you're upset but there's no need to call someone out repeatedly for being lighthearted. I wasn't upset, no one else appears to be, others were joking, best to just move on rather than trying to make someone else out to be cold hearted. We're really quite removed from this situation and these people and at this point it's like you're moving beyond chastising and into trying to make someone feel bad yourself.

I'm not calling him out because the "joke" is in poor taste. I'm calling him out because it's not funny.

My point --

Jay Leno made Carnival Triumph's situation a mainstay of his monologue for weeks. the jokes were in poor taste. But I laughed anyhow, because the jokes were funny. Kept saying to myself, "I can't believe I'm laughing at this," but laughed anyhow.

A joke may be crass, in poor taste and cater to the lowest common denominator, but it's a joke because it's funny. what was posted here isn't really a joke, it's not funny. makes me cringe, not laugh.

People who jump can be declared a suicide. People who fall can have the insurance paid. Initially, until anyone knows for sure, the term 'falls' is the safe word to use.

Once the word suicide creeps in then insurance companies will deny most claims. Then it becomes a legal issue often letting the courts decide. So the safe approach is to say 'falls' until it can be proven otherwise.

--

Sad but true.

A joke may be crass, in poor taste and cater to the lowest common denominator, but it's a joke because it's funny. what was posted here isn't really a joke, it's not funny. makes me cringe, not laugh.

Maybe we should alert the mod's here to have all posted jokes e-mailed to you first for your approval since you have deemed yourself as the judge of all things funny. :rolleyes:

Anyway, sorry to hear about a double passenger loss. I am interested to see what the investigation turns up.

Balcony club??

Yeah, Balcony Club. Specifically, Balcony Railing Club.

So sad. I feel so bad for the families.

Does anyone else remember the similar story from a few years ago, in the Caribbean? But I think that couple was found alive.

Read that footage showed the lady as standing on the railing before falling and then 20 secs later the man can be seen jumping in after her. This was on mid deck. He is a paramedic in Australia. Friends and family are saying that he would have jumped in to save her. Whole scenario, any scenario is sad.

Archived