Credit Card or Cash?

Hi, this might be a bit of a daft question but I am unsure which credit card to use to settle my account at the end of our first cruise on Celebrity Equinox in September. The normal charge is 2.99% levied by Amex on top of the conversion or 5% for cash withdrawals for using the card abroad so we normally just take local currency with us and don't bother using our cards at all. We are visiting Europe on the cruise so also plan to take Euros with us for trips ashore and our weekend before the cruise in Barcelona but are a bit wary of taking too much money with us and obviously we don't know what the cruise element of our spend will be. The cruise line require me to indicate what method of payment we intend to use so any tips on how to pay etc would be much appreciated. Also, is there a safe in cabins to store our cash?:confused:

Hi, this might be a bit of a daft question but I am unsure which credit card to use to settle my account at the end of our first cruise on Celebrity Equinox in September. The normal charge is 2.99% levied by Amex on top of the conversion or 5% for cash withdrawals for using the card abroad so we normally just take local currency with us and don't bother using our cards at all. We are visiting Europe on the cruise so also plan to take Euros with us for trips ashore and our weekend before the cruise in Barcelona but are a bit wary of taking too much money with us and obviously we don't know what the cruise element of our spend will be. The cruise line require me to indicate what method of payment we intend to use so any tips on how to pay etc would be much appreciated. Also, is there a safe in cabins to store our cash?:confused:

Where do you live? If US, there will be no conversion for the ship account, Celebrity uses US $$ on-board, so credit card should work. For your spending in Europe, I would pre-purchase EUROs at your bank or AAA. I don't like using ATMs in foreign countries, just my preference. I also take about $500 in US $$ as an emergency stash. Split up the money between the two of you, so it isn't all in one place.

You are going to be hit with charges either way. I have found absolutely no way around fees. Whether exchanging money here in the States or waiting until arrival in the country and exchanging locally. There are always fees involved. Some may be lower than others, but they are still there.

I used to get travelers checks free here at my bank, but when using them there was always a fee. Money Exchanges are in business to make money. I don't even worry about the fees anymore, I just figure it's part of my travel budget.

Another option some mentioned is open a Capital One checking account just for travel. Supposed to be no fees.

Have a great trip!

The OP lives in the UK.

Amex is not among the cheapest charge cards, at least for US customers.

I have found absolutely no way around fees.
Capital One is a good credit card for avoiding fees; my wife's bank charges no foreign ATM withdrawal fees aside from the customary Visa/Mastercard 1% markup (if they charge even that).

I second the advice to ask them to leave the charges in $$ and let your credit card company do the conversion, the rate is likely to be considerably more favourable.

There are some credit cards which do not charge extra for 'foreign' transactions, but you will have to shop around - try looking at something like moneysavingexpert (Martin Lewis' site) for one which is interest-free or one which gives cashback. UK credit cards seem to work slightly differently to US ones, but I'm not sure of the details.

There are some credit cards which do not charge extra for 'foreign' transactions, but you will have to shop around - try looking at something like moneysavingexpert (Martin Lewis' site).

I look there a lot for info

Archived