Any liquor stores near cruise terminal/Vancouver?

Would like to get a couple of bottles of wine before cruise. Celebrating our 25th so it will be nice to toast in our room or on the balcony (if warm enough). :)

Are there and liquor stores or wine stores in vicinity?

Thank you!

Would like to get a couple of bottles of wine before cruise. Celebrating our 25th so it will be nice to toast in our room or on the balcony (if warm enough). :)

Thank you!

There are liquor stores (Private & Government) in Vancouver.

The best would be to Google or search the yellow pages for Vancouver.

Keep in mind that many stores open at 10AM (M-Sat) and 11AM (Su).

Some government stores don't even open on Sunday.

Thank you!

The closest liquor store (although it's small) is at Seymour & Cordova streets, opposite the main entrance to waterfront station. Where are you staying, there may be easier options. For example if you're coming from the airport, there's a liquor store in the airport, plus the largest liquor store in the province is an easy get off/back on the Canada Line skytrain at 41st (Oakridge station)

Thank you!

As I recall you will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront and will be there during the week. That being the case the closest liquor/wine store will the BC Liquor Store in Harbour Centre, a block to the south (away from the water) on Howe St. and 2 blocks east (left) on Cordova St. It is an average sized store for a BC Liquor Store and will carry all of the popular brands of spirits and wines including some excellent wines produced in BC.

As I recall you will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront and will be there during the week. That being the case the closest liquor/wine store will the BC Liquor Store in Harbour Centre, a block to the south (away from the water) on Howe St. and 2 blocks east (left) on Cordova St. It is an average sized store for a BC Liquor Store and will carry all of the popular brands of spirits and wines including some excellent wines produced in BC.
Thank you for the great directions!

I appreciate everyone's tips and ideas.

Couple of questions about the liquor store in the airport.

We will be returning a rent car at the airport very early on the day of the cruise probably before 9am.

Will we be able to visit the liquor store without an air ticket? Will it be open?

Should we wait until we are at the pier area?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

We will be returning a rent car at the airport very early on the day of the cruise probably before 9am.

Will we be able to visit the liquor store without an air ticket? Will it be open?

If you have a car why not buy the wine etc the night before . Liquor stores away from the airport would probably be cheaper . I'm not sure but the only liquor store in YVR is the duty free one after security.

There is a private liquor store at the airport (YVR) on Level 1 of the domestic terminal. You will find their prices higher on most items when compared to the all ready high prices at our government liquor stores. The West Coast Liquor store opens at 9 am and it is outside of security so no ticket is needed.

I would probably purchase my liquor at the BC Liquor store close to where ever I was staying...if you care to give us the name of your hotel then we can give you a store location.

Just an off topic question, why are you returning your car at YVR? Most rental companies have downtown locations, you should be able to drop the car there without any additional cost and they will shuttle you to Canada Place. With dropping it off at YVR you are spending a solid hour plus going out there and then commuting back on the Canada Line at $9 each or paying $35 for a taxi.

Since I've got some help here:

We arrive at 11:30 pm in Seattle. And will probably rent a car there and drive to Vancouver to start my cruise the next morning. We don't really enjoy hotels and getting one for about 5 hours might not help us. I don't think I would sleep worrying about waking up and still needing to get to the ship. That's why we are returning the car to the airport and then the skytrain, it was the a good affordable option.

We would love to cross the border with plenty of time to spare.

We will have very little luggage but we could drive to port, check luggage, shop and then drop car; if there is a place to check luggage in the middle of the night and if there is a place to park car convenient while we shop for wine??

Just exploring all the options for this coming Sept :) We are totally open to suggestions.

If they are crossing the border by car they should use the 24 hr duty free shop at the Pacific highway crossing - just be mindful of the customs limits - if they need more than that then they will need to use a Canadian liquor outlet for the rest.

If the luggage check isn't opened at the port - just zip into either the Pan Pacific or Waterfront hotel and have the bell porters for a little tip put it in their storage for you.

Cheers!

Since I've got some help here:

We arrive at 11:30 pm in Seattle. And will probably rent a car there and drive to Vancouver to start my cruise the next morning. We don't really enjoy hotels and getting one for about 5 hours might not help us. I don't think I would sleep worrying about waking up and still needing to get to the ship. That's why we are returning the car to the airport and then the skytrain, it was the a good affordable option.

We would love to cross the border with plenty of time to spare.

We will have very little luggage but we could drive to port, check luggage, shop and then drop car; if there is a place to check luggage in the middle of the night and if there is a place to park car convenient while we shop for wine??

Just exploring all the options for this coming Sept :) We are totally open to suggestions.

Personal opinion of course; but...

If you rent a car in Seattle and drive straight to Vancouver, it'll be 3am by the time you arrive. If that's the plan you have. I would drop the car at the airport, and stay at an airport hotel, then grab Skytrain to the cruise terminal the next day. As pointed out, Duty Free would be the cheapest wine, but if you're coming from the airport on Skytrain, get off at "Oakridge" station, walk one block north on Cambie Street (same side of the street),and the province's largest liquor store is there. Get back on Skytrain with your booty [wine]. A Skytrain ticket is good for 90 minutes so getting off and back on isn't an issue.

If you decide to stay in Seattle (get an airport hotel), arrange to drop the car at a downtown location of the car rental agency (after dropping spouse/luggage at Canada Place). When coming into Vancouver stay on Hwy 99, but follow the sign right after the Oak St bridge to "Marine Drive Eastbound", then a few blocks later turn left onto Cambie. This will allow you to stop at the Cambie/41st liquor store one block north of Oakridge. You can follow Cambie all the way into town.

I'd probably go with the latter...

Thanks for all the tips, very useful info.

Yes, we probably will stop in the US for bottled water and the two bottles of wine that is the crossing limit. But we do tend to have a problem just going with the two bottles so I though since we will have the time to also look at the Canadina liquor stores.

I think we will keep our options open on the hotel. Lack of sleep may not be an issue at all because of our normal schedules and the time changes. But nice to know what the options are cause you just never know....

Again, excellent info that I am taking notes on.

The still, unfortified wine limit is 1.5l per adult so two standard bottles each. Not sure what is going to be open that time of the night however (I think there are fewer 24 hr supermarkets than there used to be). Check the usual suspects south of the border: Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertsons, QFC. A few smaller regionals but I don't think they have any 24 hr ones.

Bellingham has a few Fred Meyers (a.k.a. Kroger) right off I-5. Safeways are a little less obvious but at least two of them off I-5.

I've flown to SEA quite a few times arriving late and driving home. It's quick that time of the night (you can do the speed limit w/o traffic slowing one down so ~ 2 1/2 hrs) and I generally sleep and relax as much as I can on the flight fromt he east coast.

Thanks for all the tips, very useful info.

Yes, we probably will stop in the US for bottled water and the two bottles of wine that is the crossing limit. But we do tend to have a problem just going with the two bottles so I though since we will have the time to also look at the Canadina liquor stores.

If the two bottles will hold you until your first port (likely in AK) you might want to just pick up more wine in AK. You can bring on more wine whenever and however much you want.

DaveOKC

• 3 months later...

Just a heads up that the liquor store at Harbour Centre at 555 Hastings is closed on Sundays.

Backup option is the one on the corner of Alberni and Bute which is opened on Sundays but with a narrower window of hours.

Two other options:

There's a non-government liquor store at the domestic terminal of YVR.

And if you're taking the Canada line in, near the Oakridge-41st station on Cambie and 40th, there's one of the larger government liquor stores with one of the more larger and broader inventories.

Just a heads up that the liquor store at Harbour Centre at 555 Hastings is closed on Sundays.

Good reminder for others reading the thread Milhouse, I should have mentioned that. Tryme is leaving Sat 7th though, so won't impact her.

Martin, you need to change you map to the BCL. The store is actually on the corner of Seymour and Cordova and can be accessed from that corner....you have them going out of their way by going up to Hastings and then back down to Cordova. 555 W. Hastings is the postal address for Harbour Centre.

Martin, you need to change you map to the BCL. The store is actually on the corner of Seymour and Cordova and can be accessed from that corner....you have them going out of their way by going up to Hastings and then back down to Cordova. 555 W. Hastings is the postal address for Harbour Centre.

That's what I get for just clicking on the Google POI instead of checking!

This route will save you a block of extra walking Tryme...

Anything within walking area of Pan Pacific?

Can you take public transportation from airport to Pan Pacific area?

Tons. The Pan Pacific is right downtown. Gastown, a popular tourist area is just a few blocks east, and the walk along the waterfront to Stanley Park to the west.

And yes, there's light rail (called Skytrain) from the airport to Waterfront station, just a few blocks to the Pan Pacific. Note that Skytrain is the name for ALL of the light rail, and the line that runs to the airport is called the Canada Line (the others are Expo Line and Millennium Line)

There's a non-government liquor store at the domestic terminal of YVR.

And if you're taking the Canada line in, near the Oakridge-41st station on Cambie and 40th, there's one of the larger government liquor stores with one of the more larger and broader inventories.

Just to expand on that, I do believe that Cambie/40th is the largest liquor store in the province. If you're taking Skytrain, most tourists don't realize you can get off and back on, as your ticket is good for 90 minutes so popping out at Oakridge/41st is a very easy option as it's only 1 block away.

Just to expand on the previous posts, most people will find that the BC Liquor Store in Harbour Centre which only a few blocks from the Pan Pacific is the traditional size of liquor stores through out the province and will meet their needs quite adequately.

Just to expand on that, I do believe that Cambie/40th is the largest liquor store in the province. If you're taking Skytrain, most tourists don't realize you can get off and back on, as your ticket is good for 90 minutes so popping out at Oakridge/41st is a very easy option as it's only 1 block away.

I didn't mention. But the one block to and fro from Oakridge/41st station is somewhat less than the 3 block to/fro the nearest liquor store downtown (located at Harbour Centre). Well worth the walk for a store with probably 5 times the selection as the Harbour Centre location.