Seattle, Are liquor stores open on Sundays?

MikeySoft

I would like to take a bottle of wine on my NCL cruise leaving on a Sunday. I know about NCL's $15 corking fee.

I'm flying in late the night before around 9:00 pm. I don't want to carry the wine in my luggage.

Are liquor stores open on Sundays, if so, what time do they open? I'm spending Saturday night near the Seattle airport and most likely be taking the lite rail to downtown. Are there any liquor stores near the West Lake lite rail Seattle station?

Thanks,

Mike D

I would like to take a bottle of wine on my NCL cruise leaving on a Sunday. I know about NCL's $15 corking fee.

I'm flying in late the night before around 9:00 pm. I don't want to carry the wine in my luggage.

Are liquor stores open on Sundays, if so, what time do they open? I'm spending Saturday night near the Seattle airport and most likely be taking the lite rail to downtown. Are there any liquor stores near the West Lake lite rail Seattle station?

Thanks,

Mike D

You can buy wine and liquor at grocery stores in WA now. Sales hours aren't limited on Sundays.

Cheers.

Thanks,

What are normal open hours? We are staying a walkable distance from the airport light rail station. Any grocery stores nearby we could go to on sat night night or Sunday morning? Any grocery stores near the West Lake light rail stations? Any grocery stores near the pier 66 cruise terminal?

Mike D

there are a few wine shops at Seatac. Before you go down to Baggage claim you can go to the main concourse and visit one of the shops while your other half claims the luggage. Would solve both issues easily.

If you're looking for wine rather than hard liquor, you have a lot of choices between Westlake and Pier 66.

DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine at Pike Market opens at 10:00

World Market, 2103 Western Avenue opens at 10:00.

Sixth avenue wine cellar at Pacific Place opens at 11:00

Pike and Western Wine Shop at Pike Market opens at noon.

The Tasting Room Seattle at Pike Market opens at noon.

DeLaurenti and P&W have the best quality selections on the list.

Thanks,

What are normal open hours? We are staying a walkable distance from the airport light rail station. Any grocery stores nearby we could go to on sat night night or Sunday morning? Any grocery stores near the West Lake light rail stations? Any grocery stores near the pier 66 cruise terminal?

Mike D

Since Washington got rid of the state liquor stores and privatized the business last year, there aren't any standard hours. Well, they can't sell between 2 am and 6 am, but otherwise, it's up to the store.

If you're not looking for anything exotic, most grocery stores carry a decent wine selection. The only real grocery store downtown, in the vicinity of Westlake Station, is the Kress IGA near Pike and Third. If your hotel has a shuttle that will take you, or you want to call a cab, you could also go to the Safeway down International Boulevard. (a.k.a. Pacific Highway). They're open until 1 am and re-open at 5 am Sunday. Or, if you want a better selection, there's a BevMo store near Southcenter mall, fairly close to your hotel, that's open until 10 pm Saturday and from 10 am Sunday.

Thanks everyone for the input.

There is a 7 Eleven a block or so from our SeaTac hotel to I will try them Saturday night. If they don't have any decent wine, I will try the IGA supermarket as it is very close to the light rail Westlake station.

Thanks everyone for the input.

There is a 7 Eleven a block or so from our SeaTac hotel to I will try them Saturday night. If they don't have any decent wine, I will try the IGA supermarket as it is very close to the light rail Westlake station.

Personally, I can't imagine finding anything decent at 7-11! :eek:

I buy all my wine at Trader Joe's but if you don't have a car, it's too far.

Thanks for the input. I've never been in a 7 - Eleven or Trader Joes.

Grocery stores and convenient stores do not sell wine, beer, or liquor in my state. It was not long ago that grocery stores were allowed to open Sunday mornings. So I don't know what to expect in Washington State. A 7 - Eleven is a short walk from my hotel so I will check it out. Hopefully the IGA supermarket will have something decent assuming the 7 11 does not.

Has anyone been in the downtown Seattle IGA supermarket on 3rd Ave? It looks small on Google map's street view.

Maybe recommend a good state wine they have? ;)

Thanks,

Mike D

Thanks for the input. I've never been in a 7 - Eleven or Trader Joes.

Grocery stores and convenient stores do not sell wine, beer, or liquor in my state. It was not long ago that grocery stores were allowed to open Sunday mornings. So I don't know what to expect in Washington State. A 7 - Eleven is a short walk from my hotel so I will check it out. Hopefully the IGA supermarket will have something decent assuming the 7 11 does not.

Has anyone been in the downtown Seattle IGA supermarket on 3rd Ave? It looks small on Google map's street view.

Maybe recommend a good state wine they have? ;)

Thanks,

Mike D

Sherryf is right--7-11's wine selection will probably be mostly cheap junk. I haven't been in the IGA, but if you're not a serious wine snob, they ought to have something decent. Chateau Ste. Michelle and Columbia are two big Washington wineries that make pretty good wines--you can't go too far wrong with those, and they should be easy enough to find.

If you want to hike a little farther, there is a great wine stores at Pike Place Market, maybe 6-8 blocks from Westlake Center. Pike & Western Wine Shop has very knowledgeable staff who can help you find some less-common local wines that are very, very good.

Just a tip about regional wines: I find wines from WA, OR and sometimes CA a little bit sweet as far as the amount of residual sugar goes and generally much lower in alcohol (9-11% range for whites).

BC wines tend to have less residual sugar ("drier") and have higher alcohol (13% seems to be the norm for whites and reds). Of course BC wines are more highly taxed but I would encourage trying them. Make sure they have the "VQA" label as this means they're made from grapes grown in B.C. (or Ontario for Ontario wines) among other things. Bottled or Cellared or Made in Canada may (and usually) mean the grapes come from all corners of the earth.

in Downtown Seattle, there's also the City Target at second between Pike and Union which probably won't have anything special, but should have a few things.

And the IGA store, while not particularly large, is bigger than it looks in the street view. The actual store is in the basement of the building it's in, and the entrance you see on street view is the escalators that lead down to it.

For comparison 7-11 is a gas station convinience store without the gas pumps.

Actually, some 7-11s do have gas pumps. There's one near where I work that does.

I agree that Chateau St Michelle and Columbia are decent choices for WA wines and easy to find. You might even find them at 7-11!

The Target in my town has a decent selection of wine, but I don't know about the one downtown. It may be smaller.

For anyone who does have the option of a car, I highly recommend Trader Joe's for wine. Good selection at great prices, and very helpful staff who will help you choose something you will love! (I am not employed by Trader Joe's; I've just been shopping there for about 25 years and do most of my grocery shopping there... and all of my wine shopping!)

Archived