Annual Travel Insurance

JohnSC

I am trying to get some information on an annual travel insurance policy that provides medical coverage and evacuation. Has anyone had any experience with such policies? It seems that if you take two or more trips per year you are better off with an annual policy that buying separate coverage for each trip. If anyone has had experience with such a policy I would welcome your input. Thanks

I would never EVER contemplate travelling anywhere without travel insurance. Just don't do it. As for the benefits of annual vs single trip it really depends on how many vacations you're going to have in the period of cover. For me, annul multi-trip insurance is virtually a necessity as it removes the burden of having to arrange a policy each.time I go on vacation .. remember it will also include those last minute long weekends or short hops here or there. And you can generally get a really good rate that will beat separate policies. As for the level of cover, they're completely comparable and you can generally tailor your policy to meet your own requirements. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We have it through InsureMyTrip. If I remember correctly, it was about $450 for the 2 of us but it is age dependent. It covers us when we are away from our primary residence even in the US. We had 2 claims on a trip to Australia including one hospital stay and they were very good about coverage. Just remember that only includes medical and evacuation, not cancellation. I personally feel that cancellation is a waste of money. I just insure for the big stuff and self-insure for the small stuff.

DON

I thought I read somewhere that annual trip insurance has a limit on the length of individual trips (for example, it will only cover up to 60 consecutive days of travel). Is that true?

Not sure. Call InsureMyTrip.

DON

We have carried an annual travel medical insurance policy (including lots of evacuation coverage) for several years and its a darn good deal. A decent annual policy will generally cost no more then $350 per year for a couple and is a good fit for those who us who do a lot of international travel (we travel as much as 6 months per year). Keep in mind that we are talking about medical insurance and not cancellation insurance....which is a lot more expensive. Our philosophy is that we can afford to self-insure the cost of our many trips since we are paying for that trip anyway. But very few folks can afford to gamble on medical insurance since your liability is virtually unlimited if you have a major medical problem. We agree with looking at insuremytrip.com. Our policy is from HTH and covers any trip for the first 70 days (per trip). American Express also sells a similar policy to its card holders but it has a 60 day per trip limitation (at least that is what it had in previous years). If you are going to take trips longer then 70 days there are other (more expensive) policies available.

Hank

We have carried an annual travel medical insurance policy (including lots of evacuation coverage) for several years and its a darn good deal. A decent annual policy will generally cost no more then $350 per year for a couple and is a good fit for those who us who do a lot of international travel (we travel as much as 6 months per year). Keep in mind that we are talking about medical insurance and not cancellation insurance....which is a lot more expensive. Our philosophy is that we can afford to self-insure the cost of our many trips since we are paying for that trip anyway. But very few folks can afford to gamble on medical insurance since your liability is virtually unlimited if you have a major medical problem. We agree with looking at insuremytrip.com. Our policy is from HTH and covers any trip for the first 70 days (per trip). American Express also sells a similar policy to its card holders but it has a 60 day per trip limitation (at least that is what it had in previous years). If you are going to take trips longer then 70 days there are other (more expensive) policies available.

Hank

Thanks.

Archived