LOTS West Med - Cash for Tips

This upcoming cruise aboard the Liberty in the West Med will be our first with RCCL and I'd like to pick peoples' brains about tipping, and specifically the currency to use. We have pre-paid gratuities but I'm sure we'll want some cash to tip for service over and above throughout the week. Even though we are sailing in Europe, am I correct in saying that as this is an American ship we should tip in US dollars and not Euros, or in either currency? I am trying to decide whether I should be taking cash in dollars for the ship as well as euros for the excursions.

On a general note I have to say that in the short space of time I have been using CC I have learnt so much from this site and from the more experienced cruisers, its such a great source of information and advice.

I will do the same itinerary on LOTS on June 9 this year. I was told that even in Europe, on the ship the tips should be in US-Dollars.

As the ship leaves from Barcelona and for the whole itinerary will not leave the EU, a tax of 10% will be added to every purchase you make on board. That means for example, that on a drink, there will not only be 15% gratuities but also an additional tax of 10%, that makes 25% and it's really a lot. On those cruises, I think it's worth to buy the drinks-package in advance.

It would be fantastic, if you could post the menus and the Cruise Compasses here on CC after your cruise. I'm already really curious what is waiting for me :).

I will do the same itinerary on LOTS on June 9 this year. I was told that even in Europe, on the ship the tips should be in US-Dollars.

As the ship leaves from Barcelona and for the whole itinerary will not leave the EU, a tax of 10% will be added to every purchase you make on board. That means for example, that on a drink, there will not only be 15% gratuities but also an additional tax of 10%, that makes 25% and it's really a lot. On those cruises, I think it's worth to buy the drinks-package in advance.

It would be fantastic, if you could post the menus and the Cruise Compasses here on CC after your cruise. I'm already really curious what is waiting for me :).

My wife and I continue to talk about the drinks packages but we are not big alcohol drinkers, neither are we, nor the kids (18 and 15) big fizzy drinkers (re: soda package), so we will probably take a hit on the tax when we buy on board.

We don't sail until the end of July, so you'll experience it all before we do. Have a great cruise

My wife and I continue to talk about the drinks packages but we are not big alcohol drinkers, neither are we, nor the kids (18 and 15) big fizzy drinkers (re: soda package), so we will probably take a hit on the tax when we buy on board.

We don't sail until the end of July, so you'll experience it all before we do. Have a great cruise

Oh, I'm sorry :o, I just read "this upcoming cruise" and did not check the date on your ticker. I will let you know how it was :).

We do prepaid gratuities but always tip any extra cash in Euros on a European cruise since its easier for us, rather than getting dollars separately.

I know they use dollars on the ship but I always think that they can use Euros when they go ashore. I'm sure they are just glad of extra tips in whatever currency you choose.

Julie

I'll be on this itinerary at the end of June (22nd-29th). Since I am coming from the U.S., I will be brining some U.S. currency with me for tips (I have already started putting some aside each day).

Quick question/comment regarding the VAT taxes (the extra 10%):

1) From what I have read, non-EU citizens can fill out a form before travelling home to get this reimbursed.

2) For things like excursions, if you purchase them onboard the ship, is this VAT tax also charged (as opposed to ordering them pre-cruise)? Or does it only apply at all to physical items? Does this also hold true for the drink package - e.g., purchasing it pre-cruise onlive vs. on the ship?

Thanks,

Travel R

We do prepaid gratuities but always tip any extra cash in Euros on a European cruise since its easier for us, rather than getting dollars separately.

I know they use dollars on the ship but I always think that they can use Euros when they go ashore. I'm sure they are just glad of extra tips in whatever currency you choose.

Julie

Same here. We tip in Euros on European cruises so that crew members have currency in the country they are in. Thats how we tipped on our last European cruise. We are sailiing the Liberty in a week and will probally tip in Euros again.:o Just me, but isnt it easier for them to have the same currency in the country they are in???

Julie

Julie, that does make sense, thanks. and thank you to every one who replied to my question. Kelv

Quick question/comment regarding the VAT taxes (the extra 10%):

1) From what I have read, non-EU citizens can fill out a form before travelling home to get this reimbursed.

Thanks,

Travel R

VAT taxes are not reimbursed on food or drink. And it's my understanding that a purchase has to be over a certain amount for you to get the tax back. The tax has to be claimed before you leave the country where it was collected.

I've claimed it at the airport but am not sure how you would do it on a cruise. If you google VAT tax reimbursement, you will get lots of information

Archived