Viking River launches ocean cruising line

Hi, Jazzbeau. Did you by any chance pick this quote up from Travel Weekly (I didn't see an attribution)? I was at the same chat with Torstein Hagen, and what I heard was that the line is committed to marketing to an English speaking passenger base, at least when it comes to rivers. Riverboats are so small that the tricky mixing of pax who speak different languages is 1,000-times more difficult than the efforts of the big ships (which are already challenging).

My first-ever river cruise was on Deilmann, before the line went out of biz, and it was 70 percent German, 30 percent English-speaking. Passengers didn't mix at all between the two, and on such a small ship (150 or so, on the Rhone) it was a little bit awkward and strange....

These days, there aren't many, if any, river cruise lines that are trying to market to an audience that speaks different languages. For Uniworld, Avalon, AMA, Scenic, etc., including Viking, they're all going after the same thing. Mind you: CroisiEurope, A-Rosa, etc. are also going after language-specific markets.

Carolyn

Yes, I remember reading about the interview somewhere (probably CC), but google sent me to the Travel Weekly article.

It was about Viking Rivers (as it is now called), but I don't see any reason why Viking would have a different focus for their Ocean cruises. A few ocean cruise lines cater to multi-lingual passenger bases (e.g. MSC), and they are criticized for constant announcements since by the time they get done telling you that Bingo is starting -- in six languages -- it is over and time to announce the Art auction.

Also that article made a strong point that Mr. Hagen puts his own personal stamp on everything Viking does, and those quotes reflect his person view of what cruising should be about. Since I am attracted to that ambience, I hope that Viking Oceans follows the same pattern.

Er Jazzbeau - just because Brits, Ozzies and Canadians speak English doesnt make them the same nationality as American -Heaven forfend!!:rolleyes:

On our first river cruise we were extremely perplexed to find ourselves surrounded by Americans but with a sprinkling of Brits. Later ones were leavened by a good bunch of Ozzies and Canadians. All different nationalities, all English speakers, all with different and interesting life experiences to talk about.

Viking Ocean will indeed market to the same demographic as does Viking River. And, yes, the verandah stateroom ategory does not have priority reservations for the specialty restaurants, but can still dine there if space is available.

Yes, the referral # is given at the time you book & is worth $100 per person. I believe no more than $200 per cabin.

I will be glad to refer anyone who emails me at beckaj 01 at gmail dot com.

And of course, John99, it probably should go without saying that you can check out the announcement right here on Cruise Critic (along with an accompanying slide show). I'm not sure if Cruise Industry News was at the event -- didn't see 'em -- but I sure was on behalf of Cruise Critic!

Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5356

Carolyn

I traveled on the VRC Imperial Jewels of China 03/13 and made a few postings on CC and I got invited and so did another CC poster and passenger on my sailing SteadyAT. We were both shocked and thrilled to receive the invitations. My husband was included in mine. Unfortunately the timing was bad for us and it sounds like it was a great party!! Hope all who are sailing will post detailed reviews.

We were invited and did attend - fabulous party and a super want to launch Viking's new Ocean Cruise Ship!

Couldn't believe it when we received the invitation - and I do believe that posting on CC caused our name to be on the radar!! Says much about the influence of CC!!!! Met a couple from Seattle - he also posts on CC!! And reading this thread 2 or 3 other posters also attended. So I guess CC was well represented!!!

After the Gala we drove to San Diego for a few days and arrived home last night - still talking about what a great time we had!

Viking went above and beyond in all ways - and hopefully their new ship will also be above and beyond and fulfill all their promises!!!!

Correct. All you get with the higher categories is more priority. But Hagen said at the event that he's committed to the idea that the main dining room has the best dining onboard. The others just offer choice. A little bit of a different approach from mainstream cruise lines :)

Carolyn

I think my husband told me you can still eat at the specialty restaurants, you just can't make advanced reservations. Is that correct?

Great insight re your comment that Hagen puts his personal stamp on everything: He does.

It's not quite the same with the mass market ocean cruise lines these days. They mostly all started with a visionary with an erm vision...but these days seem to be market driven. There are exceptions of course. But Hagen's Viking inspiration is moving because it's personal. And also because it resonates.

Carolyn

Yes, I remember reading about the interview somewhere (probably CC), but google sent me to the Travel Weekly article.

It was about Viking Rivers (as it is now called), but I don't see any reason why Viking would have a different focus for their Ocean cruises. A few ocean cruise lines cater to multi-lingual passenger bases (e.g. MSC), and they are criticized for constant announcements since by the time they get done telling you that Bingo is starting -- in six languages -- it is over and time to announce the Art auction.

Also that article made a strong point that Mr. Hagen puts his own personal stamp on everything Viking does, and those quotes reflect his person view of what cruising should be about. Since I am attracted to that ambience, I hope that Viking Oceans follows the same pattern.

Are they planning any combo trips, ie ocean followed by river cruise on the long ships as one vacation. i'd love that.

That was a question asked at the event, and Hagen said it was not planned as it is not really feasible logistically; the timing of the cruises and getting people from the ocean ports to the river departure ports, etc.

Are they planning any combo trips, ie ocean followed by river cruise on the long ships as one vacation. i'd love that.

Oh, that sounds even better - maybe their wonderful Russia trip, followed by a Baltic capitals ocean cruise! Or Portugal on the Po, followed by an ocean trip starting in Lisbon. I better start saving up my money now!

My husband told me he was one of 80 non-TAs at the party. I wasn't sure how we were chosen to attend, but I DO write a lot on Cruise Critic, answer surveys and questionnaires, and have been on (I think) 5 Viking cruises now, including the Imperial Jewels one mentioned above. When asked, we've always listed our favorite ocean cruise line as Oceania, which probably didn't hurt, since Viking is obviously copying their style (and itineraries) in many ways. Oceania has expanded and gotten better and better over the years (although with price increases, too) and hopefully Viking will be able to do the same!

I wonder how they will do the excursions with 900 passengers. Will they copy Azamara with its free special event or truly give every person who's interested a fairly manageable tour of the highlights of a city? In China, Viking did the tours by bus, so I assume it will be similar, but I believe the ship only held 400 passengers, so the logistics would be more difficult with 900 passengers. Of course, some people will arrange their own excursions, as they always do on Oceania cruises, so it's not likely that all 900 passengers will have to be pleased.

In any case, I certainly wish Viking luck, and thought it was wonderful that they invited non-TAs to their party. Cruise visits in Europe seem to be booming, yet at the same time, I've read that many cruise lines are scaling back on their European visits next year (often citing high airline costs), so who knows what will happen in 2015 and beyond!

Viking is not planning to combine river and ocen trips--right now. Thry say too much in the logistics ofmoving from one to the other. Does sound interesting tho. You could probaby do it on your own with a bit of research. By the way the Po is in Italy and the Duoro in Portugal. Pat

I think I remember reading a CC post from someone who's taking a transatlantic (not Viking) that docks in England and then a river cruise that begins, I think, in Amsterdam. Of course they're doing it all on their own - but I remember thinking it sounded like a great idea!!

Since 2015 will be Viking's first year with Ocean cruising you never know what they'll develope in the future! We all agree that they seem to be listening, especially on CC, so, if they hear from enough people, they may begin to work on the concept of combining ocean and river cruising!!

Archived