Viking River launches ocean cruising line

Hi Carol, Congrats for your Maiden booking, hope Bruce and you have a fantastic cruise!

Nippie Sweetie, Viking will begin marketing the ocean cruises in the U.K., Australia and New Zealand later this year. Don't know why the decision was made to market to USA first, but will ask our TA.

My husband just got back from the presentation in LA the other night. I have to admit, this looks good, and Viking is definitely aimed at passengers like us, who love Oceania. I have yet to do an "apples to apples" comparison of prices between Oceania and Viking, however, and of course, you never really know if the food and service will be the same until you give Viking a try. It is hard to beat that wonderful food and service on Oceania. Nevertheless, there are definitely a lot of things to like on the Viking Star and its itineraries, so we will be keeping an eye on those cruises!

Please everyone, don't snarf up the Venice to Istanbul cruise cabins too quickly. I have had my eye on Oceania's equivalent cruise (Kotor, Dubrovnik, etc.) for almost 2 years now, so it wouldn't take much to push me over to booking Viking's cruise in 2015! Besides, around that time, I imagine Oceania might be changing their itinerary to something else, as they like to switch around after a while!

We booked today, the actual maiden voyage...Istanbul to Venice which is April 11, 2015. I have a similar cruise booked with Regent in 2014 which we will most likely cancel. We are very excited about Viking's first new ocean ship.

My husband and I have booked this as well. I'm not sure whether to be really excited that it's a maiden voyage or a little nervous. Love the itinerary, though, and the introductory rate is hard to beat.

Mmmhhhm sounds like the USA afloat! Wont you miss the more international passenger mix that the Viking longboats seem to encourage? Probably not as that doesnt seem to have occurred to anyone posting thus far. Fair enough its your dollars!

If there is an international passenger mix on the Viking longboats, that is purely unintentional. Company President Torstein Hagen made it clear that they market specifically to Americans: "Hagen described his target audience as "people with some curiosity, who have worked hard and earned some money. They haven't had time to see these places -- and not just see, but experience the culture. They're grown-up people. They speak English. They are 55-plus." He paused. "We target people like me." He's equally clear about people he is not interested in: "We have no need whatsoever to say we want some younger people onboard. If you have teenagers, then you should go somewhere else. We don't encourage [inter]generational travel. We market to North Americans, Brits, Australians. Nothing else. No Turks, no Brazilians. They may sneak on a person from Hong Kong or whatever, but the language is English, and it's the ambience of these types of people [that we strive for]."

Seems to be working for the river boats.

We also like unlimited mineral water, expresso and pre/post dinner drinks and will take the Viking Silver Spirits beverage package. Silver Spirits Premium Beverage Package—includes wine; beer (bottled or on tap); soft drinks and juices; alcoholic cocktails featuring premium brands; espresso drinks; bottled mineral, still, or sparkling water; and one bottle of Viking sparking wine (per stateroom) ($210/420 for 14 day cruise per person for a seven-night cruise)

Link below is what this package costs on Viking River cruises:

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/2013-2014_Silver_Spirits_Order_Form.pdf

No published info on the this package for Ocean cruises, but I called Viking today for

a quote for our 14 day cruise: $560 for two (I asked her to double ck) normally the price is $30 pp not $20. Maybe this is a maiden season special...in any case have told our TA to sign (hiccup) us up :)

My husband and I were at the presentation for the Viking Ocean Launch and it was very exciting. The Viking Star will be very beautiful indeed, with many innovative and elegant touches throughout the ship. Our only problem is deciding which itinerary to book first! ;)

It is not really a coupon. If you haven't booked yet or recently booked you can mention someone who already sailed with Viking and get $100 per person ($200 per cabin) off the cruise price. Details by email if you're interested.

Great suggestions, I'll put them forward when I'm back at work tomorrow. And Colonel (Ret.) Wes: Did I hear right that you were the absolute first to book a Viking ocean cruise????

Carolyn

We are longtime Silversea (about 100 days) and Regent (over 100 days) cruisers.

After viewing Viking's video below and spending 30 min on the Ocean Cruise website, We booked the maiden, Viking Homelands (Bergen to Stockholm) besides Norway, Finland, Denmark, it includes Russia and Germany. Was the first to call Viking this morning--can't wait. Already recruited fellow ccr Harbormaster to join us. Viking Starr is stunning (infinity pool, OMG) full promenade jogging track on deck2 (interesting location) most alfresco dining areas at sea.

Carolyn, have sent Host Dan and LauraS an email with this request..would you please put Viking Ocean cruises under P-Z (had to post under other cruise lines for roll call too). Also, asked our TA (top seller of Viking River cruises) to recommend to the owner (Tor Hagen)/Viking leadership to consider a formal Cruise Critic and Viking Ocean cruise meet & mingle program. CC's Meet & Mingle is a wonderful program that will help build buzz prior to the VS's maiden season. Silversea just adopted the CC Meet & Mingle program this week (approached the President of Silversea a year ago and she did research for six months and agreed)

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/...itinerary.aspx

About the ship:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/.../shiplist.aspx

We have cruised Regent (11 cruises), Silversea (5 cruises, 4 more booked in the next 18 months) we booked our first Viking cruise Friday. We now can refer folks to viking, where as on Silversea & Regent you have to complete you first sailing. Already, have four Viking referrals in the oven.

Yes, Carolyn, our TA let me know an hour ago we were the first Friday morn(per Viking Sales VP) to book the Viking Star. Kudos to Viking for their illustrative magnetism of their Vikings Ocean website--hooked us good. Viking is now looking at doing something to recognize this first (did not plan on it, was absolutely hooked, line and sinker by their wonderful Vikings Ocean website).

And of course, John99, it probably should go without saying that you can check out the announcement right here on Cruise Critic (along with an accompanying slide show). I'm not sure if Cruise Industry News was at the event -- didn't see 'em -- but I sure was on behalf of Cruise Critic!

Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5356

Carolyn

Cruise Industry News has a nice write-up titled -- Viking Launches New Ocean Cruise Line.

Please check web site below for detail.

John

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9273-viking-launches-new-ocean-cruise-line-.html

Great point, Id est. I've done a cruise with Swan Hellenic and it was lovely. I think the difference is -- and again, I do agree that Viking's itineraries aren't all that unusual -- is that it's taking a Swans-Lite approach, at least for that first one-ship season. Definitely reaching out to a somewhat younger (50-plus as opposed to 65-plus) traveler. We'll see; there's more info to come on enrichment, tours, etc. Too early to tell, I'd say.

Carolyn

Swan Hellenic has 1 ship too but their itineraries look more across-the-board.

Am thinking, inspired by this post, when was the last time you got to be the first passenger on a maiden voyage of a maiden cruise line? Think we should do a poll on CC :)

Carolyn

JiminyC..either Stockholm to Bergen or Maiden are wonderful itineraries...but as the movie Titantic mentioned, imagine being the first VS guests to enjoy the luxurious linens in your suite, first guests to use the tableware in dining venues--maiden will be a special voyage.

Roy, Welcome to the maiden voyage. Now with Ida, I, Harbormaster/John & Kathy, we also have RachelG/George and Rachel, and Sue and Ron. Am betting our Maiden group will be about 20-40 folks by May 2015. Am working with our TA to gently nudge Viking leadership to adopt Cruise Critic for a formal Meet & Greet. Not withstanding this development, will take the lead--when we did the maiden crossing for Silver Spirit in Jan 2010--we jump started our wonderful maiden comraderie by having a cocktail hour at one of our pre cruise hotels. Am considering Viking pre stay, but need to do homework on Bergen hotels. We will arrive Bergen at least a full day early.

Propose that we have our meet & mingle the first night on board since we have numerous port days in a row. How about 6:30-7:00pm the first nite in the Explorer's lounge (upper level if available, deck 9)?

Also, heard back from CC Community Mgr, and asked her to give Viking their own thread identity on the P-Z ocean lines--she said stay tuned.

Ps..Roy, pls join our Roll call (other roll call thread) here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846021

I'm sure that the passenger make-up will be similar to Viking's river line -- it's just a matter of time as the line says it will market to UK, Australia, NZ and beyond in the fall....

Carolyn

Hi Carol, Congrats for your Maiden booking, hope Bruce and you have a fantastic cruise!

Nippie Sweetie, Viking will begin marketing the ocean cruises in the U.K., Australia and New Zealand later this year. Don't know why the decision was made to market to USA first, but will ask our TA.

Hi, Jazzbeau. Did you by any chance pick this quote up from Travel Weekly (I didn't see an attribution)? I was at the same chat with Torstein Hagen, and what I heard was that the line is committed to marketing to an English speaking passenger base, at least when it comes to rivers. Riverboats are so small that the tricky mixing of pax who speak different languages is 1,000-times more difficult than the efforts of the big ships (which are already challenging).

My first-ever river cruise was on Deilmann, before the line went out of biz, and it was 70 percent German, 30 percent English-speaking. Passengers didn't mix at all between the two, and on such a small ship (150 or so, on the Rhone) it was a little bit awkward and strange....

These days, there aren't many, if any, river cruise lines that are trying to market to an audience that speaks different languages. For Uniworld, Avalon, AMA, Scenic, etc., including Viking, they're all going after the same thing. Mind you: CroisiEurope, A-Rosa, etc. are also going after language-specific markets.

Carolyn

If there is an international passenger mix on the Viking longboats, that is purely unintentional. Company President Torstein Hagen made it clear that they market specifically to Americans: "Hagen described his target audience as "people with some curiosity, who have worked hard and earned some money. They haven't had time to see these places -- and not just see, but experience the culture. They're grown-up people. They speak English. They are 55-plus." He paused. "We target people like me." He's equally clear about people he is not interested in: "We have no need whatsoever to say we want some younger people onboard. If you have teenagers, then you should go somewhere else. We don't encourage [inter]generational travel. We market to North Americans, Brits, Australians. Nothing else. No Turks, no Brazilians. They may sneak on a person from Hong Kong or whatever, but the language is English, and it's the ambience of these types of people [that we strive for]."

Seems to be working for the river boats.

I heard this (that you were the first) from a Viking exec. on Friday, they were really thrilled.

Carolyn

We have cruised Regent (11 cruises), Silversea (5 cruises, 4 more booked in the next 18 months) we booked our first Viking cruise Friday. We now can refer folks to viking, where as on Silversea & Regent you have to complete you first sailing. Already, have four Viking referrals in the oven.

Yes, Carolyn, our TA let me know an hour ago we were the first Friday morn(per Viking Sales VP) to book the Viking Star. Kudos to Viking for their illustrative magnetism of their Vikings Ocean website--hooked us good. Viking is now looking at doing something to recognize this first (did not plan on it, was absolutely hooked, line and sinker by their wonderful Vikings Ocean website).

JiminyC..either Stockholm to Bergen or Maiden are wonderful itineraries...but as the movie Titantic mentioned, imagine being the first VS guests to enjoy the luxurious linens in your suite, first guests to use the tableware in dining venues--maiden will be a special voyage.

Actually, I have done a Maiden Voyage and loved it. Wouldn't hesitate to do another!

When i was looking at the verandah staterooms (I downloaded the brochure) it indicates on page 10--the lowest class of the cabins do not include reservations at the speciality reservations such as the Italian Grill or Chef's Table, or priority reservations in the Restaurant. It appears if you want to be able to access this you have to book the deluxe verandahs at an additional cost of $800 per person for the sailing we are looking at. Am I reading this correct?

that is a lot of $$ to eat at these restaurants if I read this correct.

When i was looking at the verandah staterooms (I downloaded the brochure) it indicates on page 10--the lowest class of the cabins do not include reservations at the speciality reservations such as the Italian Grill or Chef's Table, or priority reservations in the Restaurant. It appears if you want to be able to access this you have to book the deluxe verandahs at an additional cost of $800 per person for the sailing we are looking at. Am I reading this correct?

that is a lot of $$ to eat at these restaurants if I read this correct.

I think my husband told me you can still eat at the specialty restaurants, you just can't make advanced reservations. Is that correct?

I think my husband told me you can still eat at the specialty restaurants, you just can't make advanced reservations. Is that correct?

Thank you roothy 123.

I went back to the website and reread it again. I think you are probably correct. That makes more sense than what I was thinking!

thanks

Archived