More Competition Coming in 2015

Andy

I also refuse to book with a line that demands full payment that far in advance. I once got a quote for a Viking river cruise, and when I found out the terms, that changed my mind very fast (ended up booking Oceania instead.)

You and me both, I'm afraid. I was all gung-ho on Sunday about booking the Istanbul to Venice cruise in April 2015 until I was told I'd have to pay for it all--air included--by the end of this year. Once I got past the "new ship smell" aspect of it all, it seemed a little bit silly to tie up that much money for a cruise that's not even happening for nearly two years. I am still very much interested in sailing on the Star--and I will do it--but I think that for the time being, I'll let all these eager early bookers act as guinea pigs for the new Viking experience. I will read and observe this forum from the grandstand. ;)

I am booked in a penthouse, and those in lower category cabins will not have to worry about me or my husband taking up space on the included excursion. We detest big bus tours and have even to most of the ports previously. I expect that there are many in the same boat as we are, so to speak, so would not worry about getting the included excursion if that is what you want.

Now I do want my frig replenished. And I will take advantage of the dining reservations.

Jack1 and RachelG - we also do not generally use cruise line excursions, we book privately, which makes the inclusion of certain excursions even less compelling. We have been to all the ports but one on the Homelands cruise. Spent 3 days in St Petersburg so the idea of a panoramic tour of St. Petersburg is not appealing to us.

But if, as ededmd says, the line is having a price point to appeal to passengers of mid-range cruiselines, those excursions might be want they would like. And the price point to get priority on them is, in my opinion, over that which the average cruiser would pay. And it is not just the top 3 suites getting priority over Verandah. It is ALL the other categories.

And we value restaurant access and water refill in our minibar, and we like to board the ship early to get settled as we usually have spent time in the port city before the cruise..

The comment about paying so far in advance is also well taken, Wendythewanderer.

Viking China was one of the best organized and memorable cruises we have ever taken. They know how to work with high numbers of guests. And the service was outstanding.

I hope that Viking will provide excellent training to its reservation agents immediately. And perhaps it will provide more information itself about its thought process in witholding amenities from Verandah passengers. When we put our deposit down originally, we were given no information about the gap in perks between categories. We have since cancelled and along with some of you, will wait and watch. (And read Wes' great comments and look at his photos).

Off to catch the Symphony.........

One question. Am I reading it correctly that you have to make a reservation to eat in the main dining room? If so, how far in advance? This makes the MDR almost like having set dining times - like the old days.

I also refuse to book with a line that demands full payment that far in advance. I once got a quote for a Viking river cruise, and when I found out the terms, that changed my mind very fast (ended up booking Oceania instead.)

Note that this is the same payment requirement as for Viking River Cruises. Also, their cancellation policy assesses a $100 per person penalty for cancellations 121 days or more before sailing.The penalty increases every 30 days from there to no refund within 29 days of the cruise date.

A number of their policies are drawn from their river cruise practices and differ from typical ocean cruising practices.

-- roy --

I just spent some time on the Viking ocean cruise website and am very impressed. Beautiful ship, lovely and spacious staterooms (and bathrooms), wonderful public spaces and the dining options are varied and interesting (and no charge for specialty restaurants.) Lots of overnights and it is nice to have one included shore excursion in each port. Wine and beer included with lunch and dinner....also nice. It will be interesting to hear how the service aboard is. I think Azamara will have to take note...I think this line will be in direct competition. We have one Azamara cruise upcoming in early 2014 but Viking may be a viable alternative for us for 2015.

Archived