Butler Etiquette Question

MrsNancyG

Sorry, I was just responding to your post where you said: I might want to have a nice meal in my room, so that I would ask about. Maybe getting into a show that's sold out, or making restaurant reservations, or taking care of some ironing that I don't want to do myself, etc. Thank you for clarifying it, because from what you posted someone might have asked the butler for this.

I was talking in general about the concierge and butler services. In general, the butler takes care of needs in your cabin, and the concierge outside your cabin.

I agree! It will be my first time in a suite and am just curious what we COULD ask them to do. But, I also understand that the more I use them, the more I will tip.

I have a daily figure in mind (some say it is too high and others say it is too low) that I feel comfortable with and I will add to it if there is anything that I think is above and beyond. Other than asking fo a pitcher of iced tea and some snacks daily, the only things would be like asking to make sure there is a lounger on the balcony (have an aft penthouse), pillow and tea preferences (the the coffee maker) and the fridge emptied, I really don't forsee anything else. I don't do room service, wouldn't have anyone unpack for me, don't need my shoes shined, won't have a cocktail party and I can get my own DVD, if I were to want one.

I was asking if popcorn was available on the ship. If its not available, I wondered if the butler could pop a bag (that i bring onboard myself) in a microwave?

There's popcorn on the ship. They served it in the evenings during movies in the atrium, etc. Just ask for some and I'm sure your butler would find it

I definitely "underused" my butler the first time I sailed on Epic.

This is what I'm afraid of!

He would say "oh, I could have done that!" to things when he realized we did something. Like they can pick up alcohol you may have purchased on the islands. My husband stood in a long line on the last night and came upstairs with our rum from St. Thomas. He saw us and said he would have been happy to do that. So there are things you wouldn't think of (like that!) that they do. The more personal things (unpacking, running a bath - ick) I wouldn't have considered. But things that made our life a little easier was great.

Getting the alcohol for you instead of you waiting in line is helpful! These are the kids of things I'm wondering about.

I was talking in general about the concierge and butler services. In general, the butler takes care of needs in your cabin, and the concierge outside your cabin.

Yes, I know what the butler and concierge does and what areas they are responsible for, but you never mentioned the concierge in your post, making it seem like these were things the butler does which could confuse a reader, since you only mentioned the butler. Here is your post:

Not to flame anyone, but I'm always confused by people looking for things for the butlers to do for them. To be honest, I think that's the wrong approach. If I sprung for an NCL suite, I would approach it very simply. If there's something I want or need, I'd ask for help. I don't really need to have someone help me unpack, pack, run a bath, etc. I might want to have a nice meal in my room, so that I would ask about. Maybe getting into a show that's sold out, or making restaurant reservations, or taking care of some ironing that I don't want to do myself, etc. Not saying the OP is doing this, but I've certainly read threads where folks are focused on "what can I get a butler to do for me?"

Edited by NLH Arizona

on one of our cruises the handle on our suitcase broke and we asked the butler if there was any way he could get us some tape so we could temporarily repair it. He said he would take care of it and took the garment bag-type suitcase away.

Later in the day it was back in our room completely mended! It was better than new! We were very appreciative to him as he clearly went out of his way to help us.

:)

wow!!

I have a daily figure in mind (some say it is too high and others say it is too low) that I feel comfortable with and I will add to it if there is anything that I think is above and beyond. Other than asking fo a pitcher of iced tea and some snacks daily, the only things would be like asking to make sure there is a lounger on the balcony (have an aft penthouse), pillow and tea preferences (the the coffee maker) and the fridge emptied, I really don't forsee anything else. I don't do room service, wouldn't have anyone unpack for me, don't need my shoes shined, won't have a cocktail party and I can get my own DVD, if I were to want one.

We will use them for the same as you mentioned above, except we WILL use them for room service. I heard there was a DVD menu and assumed we have to have someone assist with this.

We will use them for the same as you mentioned above, except we WILL use them for room service. I heard there was a DVD menu and assumed we have to have someone assist with this.

I think I'm gonna be the more difficult of the people in this discussion thusfar, I need to host a cocktail party for our Meet & Mingle and knowing that my butler can help me arrange it and then put it together for me is amazing! I don't think I've ever hosted anything in my life where I didn't have to break a sweat first. Just thinking about this amazing luxury is bringing my menopausal emotions to the top as I fight an overwhelming appreciation already!

I think I'm gonna be the more difficult of the people in this discussion thusfar, I need to host a cocktail party for our Meet & Mingle and knowing that my butler can help me arrange it and then put it together for me is amazing! I don't think I've ever hosted anything in my life where I didn't have to break a sweat first. Just thinking about this amazing luxury is bringing my menopausal emotions to the top as I fight an overwhelming appreciation already!

Don't think it I would consider it more difficult, just that you have different needs.

Butlers are wonderful. One night my friend ordered a dessert and then found she really was too full. The waiter said, no problem I'll have your butler deliver it too your room and when we returned there it was in the frig. It is the little stuff that makes your trip easier and more fun. Once your in a Suite you never want to go back to "regular" cruising. The DVD's are delivered to your room by the butler from a list, there is no where to get them yourself.

This is good to know! I would assume then that they might return something to your room for you if needed.

I also wonder....if we have 24 hr service, is it a team of butlers assigned to the group of suites?

Done it many times. On more than one occasion, we were eating at a specialty restaurant and the show was about to begin. We had a doggy bag and instead of carrying it to the show, we called the butler, told him the restaurant and he met with the waiter to pick up our to-go bag. Having a butler is like having a second pair of hands and legs.

From about 10pm to 6am suites have a night butler. He takes care of all the late night requests.

Sounds great! Enjoy! We aren't traveling with anyone (so far) and would nave no one to host!

Now another question about balcony furniture: if you're lucky enough to have one of the largest aft balconies and you host a cocktail party, will they bring you extra chairs?

Edited by English101

Butlers are wonderful. One night my friend ordered a dessert and then found she really was too full. The waiter said, no problem I'll have your butler deliver it too your room and when we returned there it was in the frig. It is the little stuff that makes your trip easier and more fun. Once your in a Suite you never want to go back to "regular" cruising. The DVD's are delivered to your room by the butler from a list, there is no where to get them yourself.

AMAZING! I'll definitely be using this one! I always want dessert but never have room!

I am loving this thread!! We are in an Aft PH suite next year on the Getaway and it will be our first cruise on NCL and we are doing the Haven suite thing... Can not wait!!

My question is what kinds of "special touches" can butlers/concierge do for our son who will be 11 almost 12 at time of sailing? He is going through testing right now for Crohns/Colitis, so I know I will need to request certain foods/drinks for him to help with his health. But what "FUN" things do butlers do so the kids have just as good of an experience as the adults?

Any parents/grandparents or observers out there with any info on the kids?

Thanks!!

The butler is more service related issues like room service, etc. The concierge REALLY has the power and can pull rabbits out of hats if you get a good one. I had a concierge give us a bottle of wine just to make our evening more special. Our last trip on Epic, my father in law was losing a partial in his mouth and was afraid he would choke on it at night. The concierge looked up dentists in St Maarten and allowed us to use the ship phone at sea to call a dentist and set up an appointment when we got to port.

But my all time favorite concierge story was someone here that lost their passports and room keys on an excursion on some island. They could not board the ship. The concierge came down and brought them on board, issued them new keys and somehow got them new travel documents flown to them at the next port. When there is some sort of emergency, the concierge can make magic happen and the suite experience is worth every cent.

Now back to the butlers. One thing they cant do is anything with house keeping. For example, I asked for a lounger for the balcony and was told it needed to be requested through house keeping. So you can ask the concierge or the person who cleans your room. The butler also cannot exchange the sparkling wine for other wine. I was in the Epic lounge in February and some guy was raising stink how he wanted a different bottle of wine. The butler asked and he was told no (this guy was in an owners suite). The guy kept moving up the food chain and I think the hotel director finally gave in and he got his bottle of wine switched. So if the butler says "no", please dont take it on on them. Likely the decision is not theirs.

Edited by david_sobe

does the butler take care of the ice or the cabin steward? Also what about daily iced tea? It seems some of the in cabin services are blurred!

The butler can deliver ice and bring you tea. But the room steward usually is the one that keeps ice in your cabin. But if you run low during the day, just a simple phone call and the butler will bring you ice.

Another thing they cant do is get a dessert from a restaurant that is not open. We loved the coffee cake at La Cucina and one afternoon we wanted the cake to go with our coffee but since the kitchen was closed, they could not get it.

Simple requests like "bring coffee or iced tea at a certain time" is fairly common task for a butler.

The butler can deliver ice and bring you tea. But the room steward usually is the one that keeps ice in your cabin. But if you run low during the day, just a simple phone call and the butler will bring you ice.

Another thing they cant do is get a dessert from a restaurant that is not open. We loved the coffee cake at La Cucina and one afternoon we wanted the cake to go with our coffee but since the kitchen was closed, they could not get it.

Simple requests like "bring coffee or iced tea at a certain time" is fairly common task for a butler.

Thanks! room steward for ice...butler for iced tea!

I am loving this thread!! We are in an Aft PH suite next year on the Getaway and it will be our first cruise on NCL and we are doing the Haven suite thing... Can not wait!!

My question is what kinds of "special touches" can butlers/concierge do for our son who will be 11 almost 12 at time of sailing? He is going through testing right now for Crohns/Colitis, so I know I will need to request certain foods/drinks for him to help with his health. But what "FUN" things do butlers do so the kids have just as good of an experience as the adults?

Any parents/grandparents or observers out there with any info on the kids?

Thanks!!

My kids (11 and 9) just loved cruising in a suite and having a buttler. They would call him and have a DVD delivered everyday so they could watch a movie before bedtime while mom and dad were having a drink. They got to ask for their favourite treats ( cookies, ice cream, popcorn). They had a blast when Jason came to set up breakfast on our forward balcony while we were in port in Nassau. My kids have great memories of this cruise and of the people they got to meat because they cruised in a suite.

Have a great trip. I know you will love it and your son too...

My kids (11 and 9) just loved cruising in a suite and having a buttler. They would call him and have a DVD delivered everyday so they could watch a movie before bedtime while mom and dad were having a drink. They got to ask for their favourite treats ( cookies, ice cream, popcorn). They had a blast when Jason came to set up breakfast on our forward balcony while we were in port in Nassau. My kids have great memories of this cruise and of the people they got to meat because they cruised in a suite.

Have a great trip. I know you will love it and your son too...

Oh thank you!! I am so glad to hear the kids get some special treats as well. The breakfast in the suite is a great idea!! He loved ordering room service last year on the Allure of the Seas LOL!! The DVD menu is great because tv channels are usually so limited on ships or at least that has been our experience on both CCL and RCCL. We have not done a NCL ship but so far they are winning me over!!

Not to flame anyone, but I'm always confused by people looking for things for the butlers to do for them. To be honest, I think that's the wrong approach. If I sprung for an NCL suite, I would approach it very simply. If there's something I want or need, I'd ask for help. I don't really need to have someone help me unpack, pack, run a bath, etc. I might want to have a nice meal in my room, so that I would ask about. Maybe getting into a show that's sold out, or making restaurant reservations, or taking care of some ironing that I don't want to do myself, etc. Not saying the OP is doing this, but I've certainly read threads where folks are focused on "what can I get a butler to do for me?"

ABSOLUTELY agree!

Was in a suite last month aboard the Star. MANY things will be offered and done without you asking. I think the only thing we actually ASKED for was a couple of DVDs. Yet we had chocolate dipped strawberries, canopies, cheese plates, notices, announcements, etc, etc without so much as as word. I had MUCH rather them do something because they WANT to rather than me asking unless it IS something I actually need.

I was in the Epic lounge in February and some guy was raising stink how he wanted a different bottle of wine. The butler asked and he was told no (this guy was in an owners suite). The guy kept moving up the food chain and I think the hotel director finally gave in and he got his bottle of wine switched. So if the butler says "no", please dont take it on on them. Likely the decision is not theirs.

Hi there, just an FYI, I received a complimentary bottle of Merlot on the Epic just last month, and I don't drink reds. They give me headaches. I took it myself to the barkeep, courteously asked for and got an exchange, without a hitch. I must be misunderstanding the story you're telling about Mr. Up the Food Chain dude. What a donkey! Oh, and I wasn't in the Haven, either, and still got my Chardonnay...

This is one of the better threads in CC, for folks who will be in the Haven the first time (like me and my friends this coming September 2013 [Pearl RT Seattle Alaska]) and are not polished in the Butler-Concierge-Steward-Pool Boy Department. We're all well-seasoned travelers, just not B-C-S-PB Dept types.

We used to smile at and look every employee in the eye that we met in our travels, ask them their names and where they're from, tip them immediately, just because, look for opportunities to fork over more dollars to these hard-working good souls, ask questions with kindness, be happy and grateful to see them when we made requests, and tip them when we said farewell.

But now, we're all scared!!! So we're all scrambling to be more classier and stylisher than we have been in our lives up till now. One of us is taking lessons on looking down her nose. Doug is practicing saying, "Hey!" real loud and such. Me and my BFF? We rehearsed singing, "You Missed That Spot," until we found out it's not really a song. Whatever. We're getting the Haven hang of things. Sure we are.

:D

Edited by Happy Sails 2 U