NCL..since you apparantly read these boards...

I think the point is that the pix is on the site that entices pax to prebook and prepay and presumably the pix of 6 succulent 6 helps to encourage the pax to do this.

If they shrimp cocktail is only 3 shrimp and ncl wants to entice pax to prebook and prepay then entice them with accurate photos or put a disclaimer saying that the regular order is 3 shrimp and the pix represents a double order.

For goodness sake. Other than you, I can't forsee that there are too many passengers that are only prebooking Cagney's because of the 6 shrimp in the shrimp cocktail. If someone complains, I'm sure NCL will either (1) give them 6 shrimp or even more if they want it or (2) will give them their money back if they are so upset like you are. This is much ado about nothing.

I think the point is that the pix is on the site that entices pax to prebook and prepay and presumably the pix of 6 succulent 6 helps to encourage the pax to do this.

If they shrimp cocktail is only 3 shrimp and ncl wants to entice pax to prebook and prepay then entice them with accurate photos or put a disclaimer saying that the regular order is 3 shrimp and the pix represents a double order.

What's the difference between this and an ad on TV that shows a juicy flame broiled burger at Burger King that's chock full of juicy meat and trimmings? I doubt BK will put a disclaimer on a TV ad that says: "Disclaimer: you will actually get a dry mangled piece of questionable meat with a sliver of lettuce and a mushy old tomato slice".

kyle...great post. Also loved your review of the Breakaway. Less than two weeks for me and I'm sailing.:D

Aww thanks! It keeps Ben going to know that people enjoy it. :) Bon voyage and hope you have a fab time! Ben ("Bendy Man" is $4 on Amazon.com) or your local neighborhood stolen lawn ornament would enjoy it if you take a picture of him next to a Cagney's a shrimp cocktail.:p

Edited by kylenyc

What's the difference between this and an ad on TV that shows a juicy flame broiled burger at Burger King that's chock full of juicy meat and trimmings? I doubt BK will put a disclaimer on a TV ad that says: "Disclaimer: you will actually get a dry mangled piece of questionable meat with a sliver of lettuce and a mushy old tomato slice".

Burger King does not try to get you to prepay for a reissue to eat there

Burger King does not expect you to prepay based on the commercial. Ncl is expecting you to prepay on their website

Burger King does not expect you to prepay based on the commercial. Ncl is expecting you to prepay on their website

Expect, no. Making it available if you wish to, yes. I NEVER pre-book meals on a cruise, and whether I'm in an OS, Inside or Studio, I have always been able to eat where I want. Maybe a half hour later than I wanted, but really no issue.

Nobody is forcing anyone to prebook a speciality restaurant based on the commercial. Why can't you just book it on the ship? I have done it before and did not run into any problems.

Well actually, you do prepay at Burger King. You don't get to see your burger until after you paid, unlike a regular restaurant where you eat your meal and then pay.

NCL is not forcing anyone to prepay because of their menu pictures, it would be the passenger's decision.

Interestingly- those ads ONLY show what is served on the burger. They just hand select the most beautiful toppings, and carefully place everything onto one side so it 'shows' in the photo.

Edited by skittl1321

Cagney's June 19, 2011 - 3 shrimp - Norwegian Jewel I know this is late, but I had to find the picture first, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words"

Was this your order? They look great. Is that the same sort of pix they show on the prebooking website?

• 2 weeks later...

After seven pages and a full town hall haranguing over three Asian, not Gulf, shrimp, next we'll hear from the OP that she's allergic to shellfish but it's the principle of the thang.

G#$ DAMM1+, I gots to have my three shrimp (to paraphrase one fellow cruiser who was two seconds too late from getting her omelet when the station shut down).

wrong..this situation is not like every other restaurant in the world..it is about the prepay aspect of NCL..nothing more..nothing less.......if they want you to prepay...which is all I am talking about..as I am not talking about deciding last minute to just walk into Cagneys....then they must show the correct stuff.....plain and simple

if you are just perusing some random restaurant menu online and trying to decide to go there...you are not prepaying....so if the menu is different when you get they you can choose not to go

if you prepay Cagneys and when you get there the menu is different...you may well still have to eat there...because the cancellation is 24 hours previously for a refund...

don't any of you realize it has to do with the PREPAY part...NCL getting your money but not fully disclosing what you are buying?

Come on now....stop with the Kool Aid......and admit it is OK to actually understand my point...which is also plain and simple...maybe not important to you..so don't bother posting about it.....but my point is valid..no denying it.

A lot of restaurants have pictures and very seldom does my meal when it arrives look like the picture. Although I haven't pre-paid I can't very well walk out saying my food doesn't look like the picture. I understand your point but as other people are thinking (which is why they are flaming) it is petty.

Was this your order? They look great. Is that the same sort of pix they show on the prebooking website?

That was my order, the other that you can see is my DH's. They are huge, get 6 and they could be a meal. Not the same picture on the website, my very own.

If this picture was on the website the OP would have nothing to complain about, but then there is always something, maybe the lemon slice is not represented correctly.

Good grief!

Edited by auntierobin

the cheerleaders will never admit to that.

I've decided to resign my post as NCL cheerleader. I'm now Captain of the Pep Squad! :D

I admit that through my first 2 cruises I had no idea you could order doubles or halves of stuff, although the half thing confuses me a bit...anyway, I digress, my point... when the waiter brought a second helping of escargot after seeing my excitement, I thought it was a rare and special thing. I had no idea of the options. (We had two little ones with us at that time, so we had a table just for us. I could not bring myself to subject other people to that little domestic scene of domestic bliss.) My last cruise when the kids were older, someone at our table actually placed a double order and that's when I found out about that little nugget.

But one thing I really do agree with which I saw someone mention earlier, if someone even just mentioned in jest to the waiter that the picture showed a lot more on the plate, more would have been there before they could blink an eye!

Yayyy Team! :D

Edited by MrsNancyG
correction

IMHO...Every complaint about the SAMPLE menu is just additional evidence that NCL should consider in making the decision to remove menus from the website. Getting a menu when you arrive at a restaurant is sufficient.

While this does make sense, it kind of makes me sad too. I love my daydreaming leading up to the cruise. I can look at the menus and be transported there in my mind, even if only for a moment. Just sayin

You actually made my point. Thank you :)

Please re-read my post. The OP was thanking NCL for finally posting the new Cagneys menu (although they posted the new price long ago). I think the OP was a bit silly with the shrimp but fair is fair. I dont see the heaven/hell or black/white analogy you mention. I think the OP thread is harmless but brings up a valid discussion. To discard the OP thread all together and attack it is what I am against. Totally harmless thread. So actually WE AGREE if you think through it ;)

Although I willl disagree with you about the menus. If NCL has options to pre-book restaurants (with no refund) then it is not only FAIR, but RIGHT and JUST, they post the REAL MENU. To surprise someone on the spot as you suggest is wrong. But NCL finally did post the new menu so it is done ;)

What I have to wonder is though, if NCL wouldn't just honor the old price from the time of booking even for the new menu? That would certainly make up for any misunderstandings because of the new menu and price. And if you disliked the menu, I bet they would just refund your prepay and probably book you into something you would prefer. I mean at the end of the day you are really talking about the totality of customer service, right?

It is funny how all of you are so convinced it is about the shrimp and not about the fact that they are using false advertising.

Maybe the term "false advertising" is just a little bit harsh. I sincerely doubt the powers that be over at NCL sat around the boardroom desk and maliciously agreed "lets show the old picture with the new menu. Nobody'll notice and we'll save a lot of money! muhahhah" It was overlooked for a time is all. Mistakes are unfortunate, but they do happen, this was simply an unfortunate mistake.

LOL I spit! I actually spit! OMG LOL

The OP makes a valid point about prepaying for items that feature somewhat deceptive advertising. The tone, to me is a tad condescending, but Scooby-doo. Let it go. It is amazing the number of posters replying, sometimes ranting, about how the example is silliness. A lot of the responses are silly, too. I leave for my cruise in two days, and although I may not eat at Cagney's, wifey and I are definitely hitting Moderno!!:D

Bon voyage!!!

This thread keeps going and going and going :)

Why is anyone upset is beyond me. If NCL was so proud of its "new and improved" menu, then why show photos of the very old menu. The photos are of many years Cagneys past but they WERE an accurate reflection of what you could get at Cagneys.

The OP brings up a good point. It is trivial in the totality of a cruise though.

The people that defend this by saying "many restaurants show food or items that you cant get at their restaurant" so that makes it ok.

First, the restaurant must be horrible if they show food that is not theirs LOL But some people here defend those actions. Good grief. Who would be happy to be lured into a restaurant by photos of food only to discover the food could not be ordered. Or check into a hotel that shows a large bed but when you check in, it is a small bed.

Just to point out the obvious should not get anyone upset.