NCL..since you apparantly read these boards...

It is funny how all of you are so convinced it is about the shrimp and not about the fact that they are using false advertising.

Then, it's false advertising when the skies aren't always blue as in the brochures, or that people are always laughing in the entertainment venues, etc, etc.

Bu golly, I better be getting me some romantic interludes on the ship like the brochures show with all those happy couples (even though I'm sailing solo).

Edited by graphicguy

I don't understand why on earh anyone would book a dinner table 45 days in advance. I don't know what I will be doing next week, let alone 45 days out. When I plan a cruise, about the only thing I know that far in advance is that I will be on a ship.

With exception of Teppanyaki, I have never been unable book a table at an acceptable time on board.

In this case, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I don't understand why on earh anyone would book a dinner table 45 days in advance. I don't know what I will be doing next week, let alone 45 days out. When I plan a cruise, about the only thing I know that far in advance is that I will be on a ship.

With exception of Teppanyaki, I have never been unable book a table at an acceptable time on board.

In this case, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Many of us like to plan and that is our choice. Everyone is given the option, but it is your choice if you wish to book your restaurants or not. Thank goodness we have choices, because if we all had to do the same things in life, it would get pretty boring.

Then, it's false advertising when the skies aren't always blue as in the brochures, or that people are always laughing in the entertainment venues, etc, etc.

Bu golly, I better be getting me some romantic interludes on the ship like the brochures show with all those happy couples (even though I'm sailing solo).

How about that everyone is slim and perfectly well dressed.

Many of us like to plan and that is our choice. Everyone is given the option, but it is your choice if you wish to book your restaurants or not. Thank goodness we have choices, because if we all had to do the same things in life, it would get pretty boring.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't your right to plan and book early. However, I sometimes get the impression that people get overly concerned that they won't be able to make a reservation once on board.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't your right to plan and book early. However, I sometimes get the impression that people get overly concerned that they won't be able to make a reservation once on board.

Hopefully everyone knows that NCL does not have all the seats available for pre-booking, they hold back a percentage for those to book on board. No sure what the percentage is. I know that on my cruise, the Teppanyaki Restaurant was booked solid for the week after the first day.

I can see why the OP has concerns about false advertising, but I think the point that some folks are making is that you can't really take all advertising at face value. One can argue that the whopper you get versus what you see in a BK commercial isn't even close to each other. Or if you go to red lobster, does the food really look remotely close to what you see on TV?

Also - at least you're on a cruise ship where you can get more without paying out of pocket. Like I said like 5 pages ago or something, if someone didn't tell me that you can order more than just one entree at the MDR, I honestly wouldn't have known that since it was never overtly advertised by the cruise company. So is that technically 'false advertising'?

I can see why the OP has concerns about false advertising, but I think the point that some folks are making is that you can't really take all advertising at face value. One can argue that the whopper you get versus what you see in a BK commercial isn't even close to each other. Or if you go to red lobster, does the food really look remotely close to what you see on TV?

I might possibly be able to understand the OP's concerns about false advertising, if she were to have point out the huge number of things that are different that represented on brochures, etc., but she only pointed out the 6 versus 3 shrimp. Here is some of her comments: I was a great fan of the old Cagney's and while I can make my own great shrimp cocktail and rarely, if ever, order it out, I will admit that the old 6 piece shrimp cocktail at Cagney's was the best I have ever had and was truly looking forward to it on my upcoming cruise. I have not booked Cagneys and do not intend to this trip. Of course I am sure there will be plenty of reservations available on the ship and I just might stop by and ask about the shrimp and what is actually being served. Maybe the Maitre D at Cagneys will tell me that it is 6 shrimp....but from what I have read here it is only 3...

It is clear that she is not really concerned with false advertising, but upset that they don't serve 6 shrimp in the shrimp cocktail, because it is really important to her that she be served 6 shrimp.

It is clear that she is not really concerned with false advertising, but upset that they don't serve 6 shrimp in the shrimp cocktail, because it is really important to her that she be served 6 shrimp.

I got the same impression too but was giving her benefit of the doubt lol

Either way I think this is really an overreaction as if anybody wanted to split hairs they can find plenty of situations where things didn't match what was shown on an ad, menu etc. Can't say it feels good to deal with any bait and switch situations, but in this case I think it's a bit excessive.

At least for me personally, 3 or 6 shrimps won't affect how I book a reservation at a restaurant etc.

This 111+ post thread should have been 3 post

1. I love shrimp and I see 6 in the picture from Cagney's on NCL's website but I read here only 3. Do I get 3 or 6

2. 3 is the normal portion but just tell them you want 6 when you order. No problem

3. Thanks

:D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

There's no bait and switch. Bait and switch is when a product is advertised that is intentionally unavailable with the intent to sell the consumer a more profitable item. Any patron who walks into Cagney's whether they are Cruise Critic member or not would not be denied six shrimp by the waiter.

To attempt to lump NCL together with a shady "Crazy Eddie" having an insane sale on a camera that doesn't exist in inventory seems ludicrous. NCL isn't intentionally deceiving customers into patronizing Cagney's with six imaginary shrimp. :p

Edited by kylenyc

There's no bait and switch. Bait and switch is when a product is advertised that is intentionally unavailable with the intent to sell the consumer a more profitable item. Any patron who walks into Cagney's whether they are Cruise Critic member or not would not be denied six shrimp by the waiter.

To attempt to lump NCL together with a shady "Crazy Eddie" having an insane sale on a camera that doesn't exist in inventory seems ludicrous. NCL isn't intentionally deceiving customers into patronizing Cagney's with six imaginary shrimp. :p

Where the heck is the LIKE button when you need it!!! :cool:

+1

Agree

This thread has really jumped the shark. Let me attempt to bring everyone together :)

The OP was on NCL for not posting the new Cagneys menu but then they did. Good job!

The photo of the shrimp was actually a REAL photo from Cagneys with the size and number of shrimp. Yes many restaurants gloss up their food photos but the Cagneys photo was REAL and genuine. If NCL is so sure their new menu is "new and improved" then why dont they post photos of food from the new menu? It tells you something when photos from 4 years ago are still being shown when the menu has changed twice since then. If this was a land restaurant, they would take the heat for this. But so many cheerleaders will praise NCL no matter what they do.

However, of course this is VERY trivial when it comes to having a good time on a cruise. I have eaten at Cagneys 9 times over several years. We eat there at least once or twice every cruise. Even with the "new" menu and raised price, we will eat there again.

I just believe in truth in advertising and showing customers real photos of real food you can get at a restaurant. Cagneys deserves to be proud of those jumbo shrimp they sold to customers. But if you check the price of shrimp, it has gone WAY up.

So lets all agree the shrimp photos may be trivial but fair topic for discussion since it was NCL that changed things, but not changing the photo is something else.

Yes, the OP did make a valid point about posting accurate pictures. However, OP didn't stop there and comments a bit more about the shrimp cocktail itself. (Me personally was just having a little harmless fun and hope OP doesn't get upset over it.)

However, skimming the OP one could read it as

OP thanks NCL for posting the correct menu...

OP then proceeds to ask NCL to also post the correct picture of the shrimp (a correct and valid point but that's not where it ends...)

OP then proceed to reminisce about the old six shrimp cocktail and disappointment in the change...

OP then states that OP will not go to Cagneys AND furthermore will make it a special point to stop by Cagney's specifically to inquire about state of the shrimp cocktail... (reinforcing the idea that OP has a particular special interest in shrimp cocktail and possibly the belief that OP will not go to Cagney's BECAUSE of the change in shrimp cocktail).

Anyway ... [since NCL you apparently read these boards]... You know there's more to shrimp than three or six shrimp cocktail... Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.

Edited by kylenyc

This thread has really jumped the shark. Let me attempt to bring everyone together :)

The OP was on NCL for not posting the new Cagneys menu but then they did. Good job!

The photo of the shrimp was actually a REAL photo from Cagneys with the size and number of shrimp. Yes many restaurants gloss up their food photos but the Cagneys photo was REAL and genuine. If NCL is so sure their new menu is "new and improved" then why dont they post photos of food from the new menu? It tells you something when photos from 4 years ago are still being shown when the menu has changed twice since then. If this was a land restaurant, they would take the heat for this. But so many cheerleaders will praise NCL no matter what they do.

However, of course this is VERY trivial when it comes to having a good time on a cruise. I have eaten at Cagneys 9 times over several years. We eat there at least once or twice every cruise. Even with the "new" menu and raised price, we will eat there again.

I just believe in truth in advertising and showing customers real photos of real food you can get at a restaurant. Cagneys deserves to be proud of those jumbo shrimp they sold to customers. But if you check the price of shrimp, it has gone WAY up.

So lets all agree the shrimp photos may be trivial but fair topic for discussion since it was NCL that changed things, but not changing the photo is something else.

Not cheerleaders, just some folks that think it is not really a big deal. The OP was upset that she couldn't get 6 shrimp, so she made a big deal over the picture. Should NCL change their pictures, yes, but does it really matter to most, no. I'm sure it was just an oversight that they haven't change the picture or some of the verbage, but I'm sure they will get it done. Just as with everything, NCL is not perfect, but to chastise them for a stupid picture with 3 additional shrimp is pretty petty. I certainly hope that the OP gets her 6 shrimp - I'm sure that NCL will be more than happy to give her what she wishes and if she does get them, I certainly hope that they will be the same size as the new picture otherwise she will start this all over again.

I think if the OP would have just mentioned that some of the pictures needed to be changed and not gone into her personal disappointment about the shrimp, everyone would have agreed with her.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Maybe you all should SHUT IT!. you're making the powers that be at NCL mad, that's why they are raising prices. just keep quiet, shhhhhhhh:mad:

Obviously NCL has nothing better to do than monitor idiots like myself on a worthless message board.

I know for a fact all NCL exec's sit in smoke filled rooms as they twirl there handlebar mustaches, and

conspire to defraud us all like take away shrimp, downsize portions and raise prices.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY PEOPLE. I think Haliburton is in control of NCL's F&B.

My life is in danger just for saying so. SHHHHHHH.

Yes, the OP did make a valid point about posting accurate pictures. However, OP didn't stop there and comments a bit more about the shrimp cocktail itself. (Me personally was just having a little harmless fun and hope OP doesn't get upset over it.)

However, skimming the OP one could read it as

OP thanks NCL for posting the correct menu...

OP then proceeds to ask NCL to also post the correct picture of the shrimp (a correct and valid point but that's not where it ends...)

OP then proceed to reminisce about the old six shrimp cocktail and disappointment in the change...

OP then states that OP will not go to Cagneys AND furthermore will make it a special point to stop by Cagney's specifically to inquire about state of the shrimp cocktail... (reinforcing the idea that OP has a particular special interest in shrimp cocktail and possibly the belief that OP will not go to Cagney's BECAUSE of the change in shrimp cocktail).

Anyway ... [since NCL you apparently read these boards]... You know there's more to shrimp than three or six shrimp cocktail... Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.

kyle...great post. Also loved your review of the Breakaway. Less than two weeks for me and I'm sailing.:D

Perhaps, NCL got tired of throwing shrimp away when people would order a cocktail and eat 2-4 of the 6 given. So by decreasing the actual quantity to 3 and allowing the guest to request more will help eliminate waste. Those that waste loads of food only raise the price for everyone else.

OP, Would you complain if it showed 3 and you got 6? If you ever order two of the same meal, whether it be you and the significant other or friends, do you verify that you each received the same amount of french fries, vegetables, croutons, etc?

Anyone buy a truck and drop a pallet of bricks in the back from about 8ft up yet? Anyone drink a gatorade and sweat different colors? How about seen a talking duck pass out cash? Seems like we're all being duped into buying products/services.

LIKE LIKE LIKE...did I say LIKE?

Perhaps, NCL got tired of throwing shrimp away when people would order a cocktail and eat 2-4 of the 6 given. So by decreasing the actual quantity to 3 and allowing the guest to request more will help eliminate waste. Those that waste loads of food only raise the price for everyone else.

OP, Would you complain if it showed 3 and you got 6? If you ever order two of the same meal, whether it be you and the significant other or friends, do you verify that you each received the same amount of french fries, vegetables, croutons, etc?

Anyone buy a truck and drop a pallet of bricks in the back from about 8ft up yet? Anyone drink a gatorade and sweat different colors? How about seen a talking duck pass out cash? Seems like we're all being duped into buying products/services.

I think the point is that the pix is on the site that entices pax to prebook and prepay and presumably the pix of 6 succulent 6 helps to encourage the pax to do this.

If they shrimp cocktail is only 3 shrimp and ncl wants to entice pax to prebook and prepay then entice them with accurate photos or put a disclaimer saying that the regular order is 3 shrimp and the pix represents a double order.

I think the point is that the pix is on the site that entices pax to prebook and prepay and presumably the pix of 6 succulent 6 helps to encourage the pax to do this.

If they shrimp cocktail is only 3 shrimp and ncl wants to entice pax to prebook and prepay then entice them with accurate photos or put a disclaimer saying that the regular order is 3 shrimp and the pix represents a double order.

And since a double order doesn't cost anything additional what's the big deal? Again, much ado about nothing.

And since a double order doesn't cost anything additional what's the big deal? Again, much ado about nothing.

Now if they were charging $12.99 for the shrimp cocktail like a mid priced land based restaurant getting 1/2 of what you expected and having to pay double for 6 that would be an issue.

5 shrimp at Morton's cost $17.00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

perhaps, ncl got tired of throwing shrimp away when people would order a cocktail and eat 2-4 of the 6 given. So by decreasing the actual quantity to 3 and allowing the guest to request more will help eliminate waste. Those that waste loads of food only raise the price for everyone else.

Op, would you complain if it showed 3 and you got 6? If you ever order two of the same meal, whether it be you and the significant other or friends, do you verify that you each received the same amount of french fries, vegetables, croutons, etc?

:D

Thank you !!!!! I had no idea how serious the advertising problem has gotten. I know my sweat used to be yellow, but hadn't checked to see if it changed.

I have seen talking ducks, but they went away when i cut down on the drinking !!!!!!:D:D

I am still looking for a car that I can peel off the outside and have a different color or model. I thought Sobe would help me with that !!!

Edited by swedish weave