Noise in Riviera Deck Cabins

buelah111

We sail on the Valor in a few weeks. We booked rather late (just a couple of weeks ago) so cabin selection was limited. I would have preferred an Oceanview, but the only available were very far aft and I've learned from experience that can be a noisy location early in the morning when docking. We ended-up deciding on an inside cabin near the entrance to the bridge on the Panorama Deck. From what I've read, this should be a nice, quiet location with cabins above and below.

While I think we probably have a great location for an inside cabin, I admit I've been keeping my eyes on the availability each day to see if a good oceanview option comes up. Today for some reason several popped up mid-ship on the Riviera deck. I'm not sure why they suddenly appeared, but I'm tempted to make the switch and surprise my husband when we board the ship. I'm a bit concerned, however, about the noise potential from below. They are also all connecting cabins, so there is a risk of noisy neighbors, as well.

Does anyone know what is mid-ship below the Riviera deck on the Valor? The bulk of the available cabins are around 1323-1347, forward of the mid-ship quad elevators. I don't mind a bit of noise, I just want to make sure we wouldn't be placing ourselves somewhere with considerable sound-effects! :)

I'd love your thoughts on whether the addition of the window and couch are worth the potential for a bit more noise.

We sail on the Valor in a few weeks. We booked rather late (just a couple of weeks ago) so cabin selection was limited. I would have preferred an Oceanview, but the only available were very far aft and I've learned from experience that can be a noisy location early in the morning when docking. We ended-up deciding on an inside cabin near the entrance to the bridge on the Panorama Deck. From what I've read, this should be a nice, quiet location with cabins above and below.

While I think we probably have a great location for an inside cabin, I admit I've been keeping my eyes on the availability each day to see if a good oceanview option comes up. Today for some reason several popped up mid-ship on the Riviera deck. I'm not sure why they suddenly appeared, but I'm tempted to make the switch and surprise my husband when we board the ship. I'm a bit concerned, however, about the noise potential from below. They are also all connecting cabins, so there is a risk of noisy neighbors, as well.

Does anyone know what is mid-ship below the Riviera deck on the Valor? The bulk of the available cabins are around 1323-1347, forward of the mid-ship quad elevators. I don't mind a bit of noise, I just want to make sure we wouldn't be placing ourselves somewhere with considerable sound-effects! :)

I'd love your thoughts on whether the addition of the window and couch are worth the potential for a bit more noise.

We sailed on Triumph on Rivera deck and I don't recall any noises from below. I am looking to book this deck on Dream or Breeze due to being most effordable OV with plenty connecting cabins. So we always have connecting ones and never hear each other but we are quiet family with one adult and child per room . If your room connects to the cabin where just children that might be different story.

I was OV midship Riviera on Valor a few years ago and I did not notice any noice (except for snoring, but that was coming from within my cabin). I am a very light sleeper and I slept very well on this cruise. I suffer motion sickness so this is my preferred location!

I just got off the valor this past Sunday and was on a tour of the ship, much of which occurs on the deck below the Riviera deck, which is deck 0 (where you will disembark for excursions). This deck is the "heart" of the ship where much of the crew live and work (many of which never see passengers). They call it I95. It contains the receiving areas, meat lockers, laundry rooms (with massive machines to do 400 pound loads of sheets and towels, etc.), the engine control room, the environmental room (disbursing the waste out into the ocean) and much much more, A lot goes on here and it is very busy. I've never heard of any complaints though from anyone on Riviera. What you may find loud from being in an interior is the noise coming from the working areas on the other side of the back wall of your cabin. We heard lots of banging throughout the night in our inside cabin one time and it came from the crew area behind the cabin (the very center of the deck). It really depends on who is doing what behind that wall and what is located there. It could be work stations or storage, etc.

I hate noise at night, and always pack ear plugs. They're cheap and they don't take up much space.

Although I've mostly booked the Main and Riviera decks, I haven't had to use the earplugs, so far.

Any time we get an oceanview cabin, we ALWAYS book midship Riviera deck.

Without a doubt, one of the quietest spots on the entire ship. Very, very nice. Not only is it quiet, but it's also the place where you feel the least amount of motion. No public areas above. And contrary to what the previous poster may have led you to believe about it being "very busy" below you. I can assure you that you will not hear a peep.

My 1st cruise, in 2000, I booked guarantee, and ended up on Riviera deck. Since then, I've always booked Riviera, mid ship, or maybe 1 deck above. No higher. I've never experienced any type of noise, above or below, on these decks. The only noise ever, has been from people walking,talking loud, or kids running, in the halls. Thankfully they usually pass quickly, and it's quiet again. However, if the cabin is a connecting one, you could hear loud talking, tv, or kids, in the connecting cabin. That's a chance you take, and the luck of the draw. If it was me, I would take a chance. Having the window and the ocean view, is big for me.

Any time we get an oceanview cabin, we ALWAYS book midship Riviera deck.

Without a doubt, one of the quietest spots on the entire ship. Very, very nice. Not only is it quiet, but it's also the place where you feel the least amount of motion. No public areas above. And contrary to what the previous poster may have led you to believe about it being "very busy" below you. I can assure you that you will not hear a peep.

I agree. We almost always book OV, midship on the Riv deck. Always quiet. On one cruise we booked one of the aft corner OV's on the Main deck, one of the odd shaped rooms. It was roomy but the noise from below was unreal at around 6 a.m. when docking. My wife always says 'just don't book that anchor room again'!

Archived