My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Just picked up our documents from the TA today. We booked an Air Transat package that includes almost everything. Flights to and from Varadero,(from Edmonton),transfers to Hotel Parque Central,to the Ship from the hotel and then back to Varadero at the end of the Cruise. JR suite at the hotel with breakfast, drink package on board the Ship and in an XF stateroom. We stay at the hotel from 2 Feb for 7 days and then board on the 9th Feb. We pre-paid 4 excursions Holguin-Alcala and Biran,Santiago de Cuba-Santiago Special,Montego Bay-********* and historical Falmouth and Cienfuegos-Trinidad. Plan to do tons of walking in Havana and the usual touristy things. Very,very excited. Have been reading this forum for a long time and greatly appreciate all the discussions and info. Hope there are others from here departing on the 9 Feb. Cheers. :)

Just picked up our documents from the TA today. We booked an Air Transat package that includes almost everything. Flights to and from Varadero,(from Edmonton),transfers to Hotel Parque Central,to the Ship from the hotel and then back to Varadero at the end of the Cruise. JR suite at the hotel with breakfast, drink package on board the Ship and in an XF stateroom. We stay at the hotel from 2 Feb for 7 days and then board on the 9th Feb. We pre-paid 4 excursions Holguin-Alcala and Biran,Santiago de Cuba-Santiago Special,Montego Bay-********* and historical Falmouth and Cienfuegos-Trinidad. Plan to do tons of walking in Havana and the usual touristy things. Very,very excited. Have been reading this forum for a long time and greatly appreciate all the discussions and info. Hope there are others from here departing on the 9 Feb. Cheers. :)

Thanks for this. It makes the postings worthwhile. All you need now is Cuba's abundant sunshine and you have the perfect holiday. Well done.

Hi again!

Ron ~ thanks for the quick response.:D DH thought there was both kinds of plugs but wasn't sure.

dontworry ~ sounds like you have it all covered & will have a great holiday.

Have you been to Cuba before? I'll be interested in hearing how the Trinidad excursion was when you get back if you have time please.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting any literature from the Cuba Tourist Board or not as I emailed them & called but didn't hear anything.:confused:

~ Jo ~ :)

... I'm not sure if I'll be getting any literature from the Cuba Tourist Board or not as I emailed them & called but didn't hear anything. :confused: ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, this might be old hat but while surfing the net for more information on Cuba and what is and will be happening, I came across this on-line magazine, "Cuba Absolutely". A bit wild in presentation but a wealth of information on just about everything Cuban, accommodation, restaurants, theatre. This is the January 2015 issue but one can download each month as issued. Downloading takes a little while calling for a little patience. I have already found my bar/restaurant in Havana that suits my laid back temperament. FYI

http://www.cubaabsolutely.com/What's-On-Havana-January-2015.pdf

I read their recommendations for the best Cuban books from over the last 20 years. If I read them, I think I would be too depressed to leave the house. They all sound so grim.

Last week I read a library book called Havana Best Friends by Jose LaTour.

It takes place in modern Havana, and is about the recovery of diamonds that were hidden 50 years ago in an old apartment. It is a lightweight thriller, entertaining, and with lots of local atmosphere. The author fled Cuba in 2002 and now lives in Toronto with his family.

I expect to receive my library copy of Our Man in Havana any day now.

I read their recommendations for the best Cuban books from over the last 20 years. If I read them, I think I would be too depressed to leave the house. They all sound so grim.

On this cruise/tour who wants to read? Apricate, apricate, apricate. Our winter is not going to pack up and leave just because we come home. And with the -27C this morning I just hope I can hang in 'till February...

I thought I would give a heads up on the retractable roof of the Cristal. If for any reason it is closed when you are in the pool area and they decide to open it up, be prepared for what will sound like a ten ton dynamite explosion. This is immediately followed by a pulsating ear piercing warning horn that says everything but "incoming". When this happened, I came out of my chair and let out a holler which brought other passengers to their feet. Workmen thought this the funniest thing that had happened to them in ages and their laughter was only subdued by the extension of my middle finger. Hopefully the roof will not need to be activated this season but if so, be prepared.

On this cruise/tour who wants to read? Apricate, apricate, apricate. Our winter is not going to pack up and leave just because we come home. And with the -27C this morning I just hope I can hang in 'till February...

I prefer to apricate with a good book in hand. :)

dontworry ~ sounds like you have it all covered & will have a great holiday.

Have you been to Cuba before? I'll be interested in hearing how the Trinidad excursion was when you get back if you have time please.

My wife and I were in Cuba twice before. First time Havana/Varadero for a total 0f 7days and in 2011 we were on a 8 day coach tour of western Cuba,then with 3 days in Havana and 7 in Varadero following that. Have seen a lot in Havana but not the Museum of the Revolution, Tropicana, Che's Havana home nor Hemingways home. Want to walk, visit the bars and paladars, We stayed in Hotel Nacional both times. The history and character of Cuba have been in my heart for over 40 years. I will write of the Trinidad excursion on our return.

I just discovered this free Kindle download from amazon.ca.

Havana Tips and Tricks: Interesting Facts and Tips On Havana And Cuba. Best of all, it is the 2014 version.

http://www.amazon.ca/Havana-Tips-Tricks-Interesting-Facts-ebook/dp/B00K1F4SK2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421162190&sr=8-4&keywords=Havana

Thanks Burm.

I also spent 99¢ on The Street-Wise Spanish Survival Guide: A Dictionary of Over 3,000 Slang Expressions, Proverbs, Idioms, and Other Tricky English and Spanish Words and Phrases Translated and Explained.

Can't hurt to give it a try. I can't be any worse than I am at French or Italian. :o

I prefer to apricate with a good book in hand. :)

Me also. Plus there is always the flying time to fill in.

I'm pretty good anywhere as long as I have a book, a camera and lip gloss. :D

Hi all!

Ron ~ thanks for the warning re the pool roof. Also thanks for teaching me a new word, I've never in my whole long life heard the word apricate so had to Google it:o

dontworry ~ sounds like you've seen a lot of Cuba & know what you want to see still. Did you go to Pinar del Rio on the bus trip? I loved that excursion

& especially the area around Los Jazmines Hotel.

Wow a lot of info about Cuba to look through! Thanks so much.

... Ron ~ thanks for the warning re the pool roof. Also thanks for teaching me a new word, I've never in my whole long life heard the word apricate so had to Google it:o ~ Jo ~ :)

Nor had I until I received my Word-A-Day and was being a bit of a Smart Aleck in using it. A free subscription to this site: https://www.wordsmith.org/awad/ brings a new word each morning explaining it's meaning, origin and pronunciation. The five words will relate to a general subject. Have been enjoying this for over ten years but can't say that I retain that much. But isn't apricate's so apre peau to our Cuba adventure? I bet yours was not the only hit Google had for this word today...

Thanks for the links for info on Cuba! We just booked for Feb 2 so I am cramming in as much info quick as I can! Any other quick tips would be welcome! I am SO out of my comfort zone and there's So much to think of! We cruise frequently, so I'm good with that, just any oddities with being in Cuba or with this cruise line would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jo, had been meaning to tell you about another unusual port arrival during our TA. Usually ships dock not much earlier than 7:00 am and even though I had been to St. Lucia many times I was up on the deck at 6:30 am to have a look see. What surprised me was that there was a cruise ship in port. I thought, they must have arrived early to be in and already tied up, how unusual. As we entered the port, this ship had no lights, we could not see any passengers or any life form at all. It was a ghost ship in all appearances. As we had little world news on our crossing, we were not then aware of the fire aboard the Oceania Insignia that had cost the lives of three people. A most eerie feeling in our mooring while passing her in port without any sign of life aboard.

HI all!

Ron ~ oh that would be eerie, so sad too. I was wondering if you enjoyed the TA enough to do it again.

crzy ~ the only thing I can recommend, & it might not even apply to you since you're from AB, is don't eat in the Steak House the 1st night. We did & I have on another cruise & find for me it makes the other meals seem less. If you start with the best you can only go downhill.

I was looking at my pictures from last year & saw some meals I really liked so hope they still offer them, like spring rolls as an appetizer, key lime pie, cabbage rolls at the beach party. I liked the choices at the steakhouse so might do that again if DH wants to.

I was checking out the Cuba cruise site & here's some useless bits of info

(which I excel at).:o

If my math is correct, the Jan 30 cruise has the least cabins available at 27.

The sailing with the most cabins (121) available is Feb 9th & the only cruise with the SI available is March 2nd. The January sailings have sold the best but maybe because of the special offers.

burm ~ had you ever sailed on the Oceania Insignia?

Have a great day, cool & sunny here, 24C & cloudy in Havana.

HI all!

Ron ~ oh that would be eerie, so sad too. I was wondering if you enjoyed the TA enough to do it again.

crzy ~ the only thing I can recommend, & it might not even apply to you since you're from AB, is don't eat in the Steak House the 1st night. We did & I have on another cruise & find for me it makes the other meals seem less. If you start with the best you can only go downhill.

I was looking at my pictures from last year & saw some meals I really liked so hope they still offer them, like spring rolls as an appetizer, key lime pie, cabbage rolls at the beach party. I liked the choices at the steakhouse so might do that again if DH wants to.

The sailing with the most cabins (121) available is Feb 9th & the only cruise with the SI available is March 2nd. The January sailings have sold the best but maybe because of the special offers.

Yes, we were on the Insignia a couple of times. We did our Rio to Barcelona TA on her.

HI all!

It looks like the SI for March 2nd is gone, but they still show 1 S and 2 SJs for that date. Just over a week to go before we start to enjoy our SI.

...Ron ~ oh that would be eerie, so sad too. I was wondering if you enjoyed the TA enough to do it again... ~ Jo ~ :)

Yes, our first words were, Oh no, that's the Insignia! We had sailed up the Amazon with her some years earlier.

The TA itinerary was enjoyable but somewhat repetitious. The friendly staff and of course the accommodation made the 25 day cruise, without which we would have succumb. So we would not repeat it but perhaps more because of the unbearable nonsense we went through in having to get to the ship. This experience has made us vow to never attempt a sailing from Europe again. That will lower our opportunities but in today's world of travel so be it.

May I suggest that we try and keep our postings to one thread. Don't be concerned that your questions may be repetitive as we understand the volume of information that has been shared. But I feel it better to deal with one thread in quotes and replies than jumping back and forth looking for reference. So ask away. As to the lack of formal critiques of this cruise it should be remembered that there was but one short season completed with an occupancy of less than 50%. However, with the number of us returning for a second season plus the much higher occupancy rate, critiques and comments should soon be a bit more informative.

It looks like the SI for March 2nd is gone, but they still show 1 S and 2 SJs for that date. Just over a week to go before we start to enjoy our SI.

We are in an S1 on Jan 26. Assume this means we are neighbours!! We leave in a week for a few days in Havana. Counting down now!

We are in an S1 on Jan 26. Assume this means we are neighbours!! We leave in a week for a few days in Havana. Counting down now!

We leave Victoria on Jan 20, via Seattle and Atlanta then a couple of days in Montego Bay, incase of winter weather delays. We board on the 23rd in Montego Bay and are in SI 6000, neighbours to you.

Marg & Gary

Should thrust & parry drawers abound,

A small solution might be found

At your safe, affixed to shelf.

A pen you’ll need to help yourself.

Insert it deep in the void behind,

Flip contents right and you will find

Wedges made to insert ‘tween drawers

Thus noise allay, (nay slamming doors).

But to whence replace upon adieu

For those of us who’ll follow you.