My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

There is a provision that there will be a charge of $25 each for missing beach towels so make sure you return them to your cabin.

I don't have a problem with a charge for not returning a towel (some other lines also do this). As we all know, many people are very forgetful if there is no penalty for their careless behaviour. Someone even boldly posted long ago that they always gave their ship towel to locals! You can safely bet that that cruiseline did not impose a charge.

...Liz54 ~ funny how different that review was to the others! I can hardly wait to see how this bunch feels when they return.

Have a nice day. ~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, can you please direct me to this review. I can't seem to find it here so it must be in another section? Thanks

Ron

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=269478

The author of that poor review claimed to be an experienced cruiser, yet they have never posted any other reviews or on any threads.

It is difficult to believe the same crew that everyone else raves about was consistently surly and rude to them.

No credibility whatsoever. Possibly they posted for political reasons.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=269478

The author of that poor review claimed to be an experienced cruiser, yet they have never posted any other reviews or on any threads.

It is difficult to believe the same crew that everyone else raves about was consistently surly and rude to them.

No credibility whatsoever. Possibly they posted for political reasons.

Looks like they only joined in 2015 to slam that cruise.

Somehow I can't picture them being nice to the staff to start with.

Personally I love the look of the bright flower decals and can't wait to see them in person.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Sorry I haven't posted before now. We didn't arrive home until late Monday night. Since then we have had 5 appointments, hosted a 50th birthday party, and had my dad to dinner. We are also hoping to head south early tomorrow morning for a vacation so have been busy unpacking from our Cuba trip, and packing and organizing for our next trip! I am still working on washing sheets and towels from having the kids home for Christmas!

We really enjoyed our cruise. True, there were differences compared to previous cruises, but nothing to complain about. The ports were very interesting, and the staff were fabulous! Food was mostly ok, but I didn't have to cook or clean up, so no complaints!

We were on with a lot of TA's from different areas of Canada. Some were very impressed, others not as much. Most seemed to think it was a worthwhile cruise though as far as I could tell.

Others on here seem to have the answers to most of the questions asked. We did use our towels at the beaches we went to, although we understood that we would be responsible for them if they weren't returned. Sounds fair! Our cabin housekeeper, Sara, replaced the wet ones with dry ones for us without us even asking. She was wonderful-the best we have had on any of our cruises. Same with almost all of the staff.

We did have one problem. We booked 3 excursions with the company before we left. The amount had come off our cc and was showing on our online account with Louis Cristal. Luckily we had printed off a copy because they had no record of it. We almost missed our first excursion because of it. My husband went down the morning of the trip and asked if we needed anything to go on the excursion. The lady at the desk said we should have gotten a receipt the night before. When she looked it up, she said there was no record of us on it. It seemed to be up to us to prove we were actually on the trip. He had to run up to our cabin and get the print out to show we were signed up on it. We had about 15 minutes to spare. So if you have booked excursions before your trip, check to be sure you are on the list once on board.

Again, thanks for your help before we went, and sorry I haven't been back on here before now. I will keep checking for questions, but it may be a few days before I can reply.

...No credibility whatsoever. Possibly they posted for political reasons.

Couldn't agree more. And now, as the flood gates open as of Friday, we can expect more of that. I had missed these reviews thinking that everyone posted under title.

I'll see their 20 cruses and raise them another 17 and the only item that surprised us in requiring separate payment was the safe. Everything else that involved charges are also charged on another lines. No line allows one drink card for two people. Many of the staff this season were the same people that sailed with us last year. Their experience is unquestionable. They are the height of friendliness to all but the rude.

Another critique spoke of the black passengers boarding at Montego Bay. We were in that dining room when the new pasengers first arrived for dinner and no such herding took place. Some were in groups asking to be seated together requiring the opening up of additional tables and the only seating refusal we saw was an attempt to occupy the dignitary table which NO ONE is allowed, save of course the dignitaries.

The only comforting aspect of these nasty critiques is that these people will not be aboard whenever we sail.

Edited by ONT-CA

HI all!

csnow ~ thanks for coming back with your thoughts & excursion info. Wow you have been busy!:eek: Sounds like you had a good time on the cruise. Which 3 excursions did you do & how did you like them please?

Did you go to the steak house?

Kerri ~ good point. It does sound like they just joined CC to slam the cruise. I really liked the decor, decals & all. The store was nice too & everything's so close, just one floor down from us, easy peasy.

burm ~ I've ordered that book from the library but have 3 others to get through 1st!!

Ron ~ glad you cleared that up about the Jamaicans that boarded as that sounded bad!:eek: I never noticed a dignitary table last year, I'll have to look out for that.

Have a nice evening.

~ Jo ~ :)

...Ron ~ glad you cleared that up about the Jamaicans that boarded as that sounded bad!:eek: I never noticed a dignitary table last year, I'll have to look out for that. Have a nice evening.

Jo, as you proceed to the back of the "L" shaped dining room, the dignitary table is around the corner to the left right behind our table, No. 34. An odd place considering it is right outside the kitchen door with all the relevant traffic. It is perpendicular to the surroundings tables.

The UK Guardian is asking for photographs of scenes from Cuba. I sent in a couple which they included. I think the photos represent the interests of a very diverse group of visitors to the island

https://witness.theguardian.com/assignment/54b80620e4b09326c8696ed0?INTCMP=mic_231930

Great photos!

I think they should serve Cristal beer on the ship. :)

...I think they should serve Cristal beer on the ship. :)

I'll second that!!! But I also hope they have reinstated the Cuban facsimile of Clamato Juice in order to make Caesars. They did not have any for the crossing and indicated that they may not have any this season. How could a Canadian organization put together a cruise without Caesars? Perhaps someone recently disembarked can give us some good news?

I'll second that!!! But I also hope they have reinstated the Cuban facsimile of Clamato Juice in order to make Caesars. They did not have any for the crossing and indicated that they may not have any this season. How could a Canadian organization put together a cruise without Caesars? Perhaps someone recently disembarked can give us some good news?

Wow very nice pictures of cuba:eek::)

Thanks again to everyone for the great help and advice

Feb 2 is our cruise

Then 3 nights in havana and 4 in varadero

This will be my second time in cuba, was there about 20 years ago

Glad to go back especially seeing the recent chsnges re usa

We usually go on a different cruise every year for the last 15 years:)

I hope to rent a bike in havana and varadero etc

As well hope to snorkle wherever possable:o

Any more input re snorkleing as well as excursions in each port would be cool:cool:

Edited by David22

As well hope to snorkle wherever possable:o

Any more input re snorkleing as well as excursions in each port would be cool:cool:

I don't think there are a lot of snorkelers here. I wonder if the 4 or us could arrange for a boat to take us out in Punta Frances? Or a private excursion from Antilla? The Paradise Island excursion sounds good, but rather pricey.

While in Havana, we hope to take a day trip to Jibacoa, which is supposed to have excellent snorkelling.

If you decide to put together a private excursion, count us in!

I do wish that someone would invent inflatable flippers, mask, etc. Our gear takes up almost a suitcase on it's own. The inflatable vests still take up a lot of room .

:)

I don't think there are a lot of snorkelers here. I wonder if the 4 or us could arrange for a boat to take us out in Punta Frances? Or a private excursion from Antilla? The Paradise Island excursion sounds good, but rather pricey.

While in Havana, we hope to take a day trip to Jibacoa, which is supposed to have excellent snorkelling.

If you decide to put together a private excursion, count us in!

I do wish that someone would invent inflatable flippers, mask, etc. Our gear takes up almost a suitcase on it's own. The inflatable vests still take up a lot of room .

Sounds great:)

Cabin 4203

Please leave a note or knock on door:) or

Email va7dtp@gmail.com

Cheers David and Melinda

And Iris my mother in another cabin/room

We bring our gear with us

Also hope to participate in yoga classes if the ship has them

Edited by David22

Hi Marg & Gary,

Cannot tell you how much we are looking forward to it. Minus 20something here today! See you soon!

Martha & Brian

Not minus 20 in Victoria, almosr record temperature yesterday, 12.4C. We payed for it last night with our first real winter storm. coming to us from Hawaii. Winds were 90-100 km/hr, with temperatures around 11C and 30mm of rain. Over 24,000 people lost power this morning, we were out for almost 2 hrs. The storm did't stop the joggers as I saw many out this morning. The wind has now died down and the rain has stopped. Our spring flowers are starting to bloom, with some buds on the trees.

Ontario should expect this storm in about 3 or 4 days, if the weather pattern stays the way it usually does. I am sure that it will be much colder by then.

Hi all!

Ron ~ thanks for the link & the info about the special table. I saw 2 of your pictures. I was looking through some of my photos for something to post but haven't picked anything yet.

David22 ~ that sounds like a great trip you have planned, a cruise, city life then the beach. Must be nice to see flowers.:D

Have a great week as we count down to our amazing Cuba cruise.

Hi All

Thanks Ont-CA and Retiring Soon for your comments.

Permit me to pick your brains a little longer.

In Antilla. If we don't take a shore excursion, what are our options? Is there anything to see around the port? Is there transportation available to something interesting and accessible nearby? What did you do last time?

For Cienfuegos, I'd really like to make it to Trinidad but I do not want to rent a car in Cuba and I'd like to avoid the ship's excursions. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marc C.

Hi all!

Ron ~ thanks for the link & the info about the special table. I saw 2 of your pictures. I was looking through some of my photos for something to post but haven't picked anything yet.

David22 ~ that sounds like a great trip you have planned, a cruise, city life then the beach. Must be nice to see flowers.

Have a great week as we count down to our amazing Cuba cruise.

Yes the plan is to upgrade as time goes on

Cuba cruise is older ship but new idea

Love the idea

Look forward to each port

Last cruise was oceania in south pacific a year ago

And that was nice, especially all the art and nice ship

This cruise i hope to love the ports and understand the reason why its such a good deal monetary wise:)

Dang say its 1000$ for 7 days

Thats a great deal:)

Cant beat that:)

I plan on not nickle and dime it but bring some loonies with me:)

Cheers

Not minus 20 in Victoria, almosr record temperature yesterday, 12.4C. We payed for it last night with our first real winter storm. coming to us from Hawaii. Winds were 90-100 km/hr, with temperatures around 11C and 30mm of rain. Over 24,000 people lost power this morning, we were out for almost 2 hrs. The storm did't stop the joggers as I saw many out this morning. The wind has now died down and the rain has stopped. Our spring flowers are starting to bloom, with some buds on the trees.

Ontario should expect this storm in about 3 or 4 days, if the weather pattern stays the way it usually does. I am sure that it will be much colder by then.

Thursday the 22nd is our flying day! Lets not have storms that day!

:)

Sounds great:)

Cabin 4203

Please leave a note or knock on door:) or

Email va7dtp@gmail.com

Cheers David and Melinda

I thought it was great, too, until it was pointed out to me that we are on different cruises. We board Feb 16. LOL

We are thinking of taking a taxi to Trinidad.

I thought it was great, too, until it was pointed out to me that we are on different cruises. We board Feb 16. LOL

We are thinking of taking a taxi to Trinidad.

:(

Hope you have a great vacation:)

Cheers

Again thanks to all for all the help:)

Yes the plan is to upgrade as time goes on

Cuba cruise is older ship but new idea

Love the idea Look forward to each port

Last cruise was oceania in south pacific a year ago

And that was nice, especially all the art and nice ship

This cruise i hope to love the ports and understand the reason why its such a good deal monetary wise:)

Dang say its 1000$ for 7 days Thats a great deal:) Cant beat that:) I plan on not nickle and dime it but bring some loonies with me:) Cheers

I think everyone should realize that you cannot see or experience Cuba in the few hours the ship's port stop gives you. I bet that some who have booked the cruise again this year had no idea they would be doing so. We did a back to back and will be doing yet another and if health holds will do still another. The ship has become something like a travelling cottage. There is so much to see and take in.

As to Antilla; understand that we Tender into the small port. We have a personal interest because we have an affinity with the local people who were trying to start a Bar/Restaurant at the docks and had hired entertainment for the passengers. It would be nice to think that they have made a go of it for they tried so hard. So, on our next visit that will be our primary interest to see how they are doing. On the last visit we hired a vintage car and the driver took us through the countryside and the village of Antilla. There is not much to see in his farming town with animals roaming freely but it will give you a wonderful view of how these people live. That to us is as important as touring a basilica. There has never been a better time nor a better way to get to see Cuba before it changes forever. So see Cuba as best you can and hopefully you will want to return because Cuba to us is not a one cruise stand.

PS I realize that it may be a medafore but bringing one loonie coins to Cuba is of no use to anyone for the exchange people will not accept coins, only paper money.

Edited by ONT-CA

:(

Hope you have a great vacation:)

Cheers

Again thanks to all for all the help:)

I think everyone should realize that you cannot see or experience Cuba in the few hours the ship's port stop gives you. I bet that some who have booked the cruise again this year had no idea they would be doing so. We did a back to back and will be doing yet another and if health holds will do still another. The ship has become something like a travelling cottage. There is so much to see and take in.

As to Antilla; understand that we Tender into the small port. We have a personal interest because we have an affinity with the local people who were trying to start a Bar/Restaurant at the docks and had hired entertainment for the passengers. It would be nice to think that they have made a go of it for they tried so hard. So, on our next visit that will be our primary interest to see how they are doing. On the last visit we hired a vintage car and the driver took us through the countryside and the village of Antilla. There is not much to see in his farming town with animals roaming freely but it will give you a wonderful view of how these people live. That to us is as important as touring a basilica. There has never been a better time nor a better way to get to see Cuba before it changes forever. So see Cuba as best you can and hopefully you will want to return because Cuba to us is not a one cruise stand.

PS I realize that it may be a medafore but bringing one loonie coins to Cuba is of no use to anyone for the exchange people will not accept coins, only paper money.

I love your posts:)

as well as others

Cheers:)