British Isles Cruise on Infinity 5-13-13 Review

vtcruising

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I work in a customer service industry so I know how challenging customer service efforts can be. So I often let little things goes, but I was very surprised by the overall staff service. Just not "above and beyond"... more like "enough to get by." This is not in the case of every individual - we had great individual service by staff. But as an overall feel, I wasn't wowed like I typically am. Thankfully we did this for the amazing itinerary, so DH and I were still happy. Hopefully in future British Isles cruises, the service will get better and more like what one would expect from Celebrity. :)

Robyn, I've never been on a Celebrity ship before where random strangers would say to me in the buffet, "Is it me, or is this ship just a bit off?" It was a lot of little things, but it added up to a less than stellar Celebrity experience. I would not rush to cruise on the Infinity again.

Thank you very much to everyone who has shared their experiences.

A bit concerned about exchanging dollars for pounds onboard. Did you find this to be a problem? We have always just exchanged onboard as needed.

Alice

If you want to exchange currency on board, do it at the beginning of the ports where that currency will be used. I ran out of pounds and wanted to get some more, but they had exhausted their supply and were not going to get any more. So be sure you have an ATM card or a backup plan.

Robyn, I've never been on a Celebrity ship before where random strangers would say to me in the buffet, "Is it me, or is this ship just a bit off?" It was a lot of little things, but it added up to a less than stellar Celebrity experience. I would not rush to cruise on the Infinity again.

We agree with this assessment and had similar questions asked of us. We have two cruises booked on Infinity in 2014 and we are concerned about spending another B2B on this ship.

We loved the itineraries and Norway was breathtaking including the wonderful weather.

The staff tried their best however it seemed in some sense a training exercise and/or a works in progress.

"When our guide heard that 2 of our group of 8 had relatives buried in the American Cemetery in Normandy, he called ahead to have them arrange a ceremony for us. It turned out to be one of the most moving things I have ever seen. My father’s favorite uncle died there and I had found his burial info on-line and bought flowers for the grave in a little Normandy village. One of the people at the cemetery (a wonderful and beautiful place) greeted us and the other person in our group with a relative there and took us to the graves by golf cart. He had a little ceremony with sand from Omaha Beach and French and American flags and thanked us for our relatives’ sacrifice. The 4 veterans in our group saluted the graves – it was so beautiful and there were no dry eyes in our group."

As I read this, it is June 6, it means so much more and I am so glad you got to have a special moment in Normandy. Your great uncle's (I think that is right) sacrifice was not in vain and will never be forgotten.

If you want to exchange currency on board, do it at the beginning of the ports where that currency will be used. I ran out of pounds and wanted to get some more, but they had exhausted their supply and were not going to get any more. So be sure you have an ATM card or a backup plan.

Do you mean at the beginning of all the ports (as in the beginning of the cruise?)

If using an ATM--are they easily located?

Thank you very much to everyone who has shared their experiences.

A bit concerned about exchanging dollars for pounds onboard. Did you find this to be a problem? We have always just exchanged onboard as needed.

Alice

I was able to exchange some dollars for pounds at Guest Relations early in the cruise, but not a few days later. They must have a limited supply. You can often get pounds at an ATM near port, but sometimes they are not handy to get to before a tour. If you want a few pounds before going out on a tour, you might want to get some pounds at home (or in the airport).

Greenock, Scotland (Glasgow) had a money exchange booth just after getting off the ship. I have no idea what the exchange rate was, but it was very handy to get a few pounds. Luckily, most places took credit cards, but it was common to have a minimum so was nice to have a few pounds for post cards or other small purchases.

"When our guide heard that 2 of our group of 8 had relatives buried in the American Cemetery in Normandy, he called ahead to have them arrange a ceremony for us. It turned out to be one of the most moving things I have ever seen. My father’s favorite uncle died there and I had found his burial info on-line and bought flowers for the grave in a little Normandy village. One of the people at the cemetery (a wonderful and beautiful place) greeted us and the other person in our group with a relative there and took us to the graves by golf cart. He had a little ceremony with sand from Omaha Beach and French and American flags and thanked us for our relatives’ sacrifice. The 4 veterans in our group saluted the graves – it was so beautiful and there were no dry eyes in our group."

As I read this, it is June 6, it means so much more and I am so glad you got to have a special moment in Normandy. Your great uncle's (I think that is right) sacrifice was not in vain and will never be forgotten.

Yes, my dad was so pleased (and teary) to receive the flags and packet they gave us and to see the pictures of the burial site. I think it gave him some closure and some peace that the people at the cemetery showed such respect for those buried there. I too have been thinking about today being the 6th of June - it means so much more to me now.

Do you mean at the beginning of all the ports (as in the beginning of the cruise?)

If using an ATM--are they easily located?

What I meant was to get your pounds at the beginning of the ports that use pounds, your euros at the beginning of the ports that use euros, etc.

All banks have ATMs. I would not use a free standing one as they usually have extra surcharges. I personally prefer to get my foreign currency at my own bank before I leave home, but I underestimated my need for it this time.

We took along a chip and pin credit card that does not charge a fee for currency conversion and found that it was accepted just about everywhere we went -- even for small purchases, taxi rides, boat rides, train rides, pharmacies, restaurants, grocery stores, small cafes, souvenir shops, admission fees to sightseeing attractions.

On multi-country cruises, it minimizes the need for currency conversion and getting stuck with change in foreign currencies.

What a beautiful review! This cruise has been on my bucket list forever and I tried to book the Infinity this year for the BI cruise , but the dates didn't work out . Will be doing a BI itinerary in July on the Eurodam.

Loved all your comments about the ports ... Helpful! I sailed the Infinity in 2010 and loved her.

We are doing a tour with Discover Scotland in Greenouck. Did you like the company?

What a beautiful review! This cruise has been on my bucket list forever and I tried to book the Infinity this year for the BI cruise , but the dates didn't work out . Will be doing a BI itinerary in July on the Eurodam.

Loved all your comments about the ports ... Helpful! I sailed the Infinity in 2010 and loved her.

We are doing a tour with Discover Scotland in Greenouck. Did you like the company?

It's been on my bucket list too and it exceeded my expectations.

I enjoyed Charlie of Discover Scotland - he was very genuine and enjoyed chatting and answering questions. The countryside we saw was gorgeous! Enjoy your cruise!

It's been on my bucket list too and it exceeded my expectations.

I enjoyed Charlie of Discover Scotland - he was very genuine and enjoyed chatting and answering questions. The countryside we saw was gorgeous! Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you.. We will be visiting Luss , Inverary Castle and the Highlands. I know it will be gorgeous. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived