Curves - Weight Loss

BUDDY7

Hi Everyone: I'm sorry that I didn't post this sooner, but I've been very bad and didn't get to Curves at all during the month of June. Today was my first day back to Curves.....and it felt great!

As promised, here are the recommended repetitions for some of the machines at Curves:

Bi-Tri Curls (The one where you make a fist with thumb up and alternate arms)

Beg. = 12

Inter. = 13

Adv. = 17

Super = 21

Leg Curls (the one where you put your ankles under the rollers and raise legs)

Beg = 10

Inter. = 12

Adv. = 17

super = 22

lats/shoulders (the one where you lift the bars over your head)

Beg = 15

Inter. = 18

Adv.= 23

Super = 26

Chest press (the one where you keep elbows up and push bar out)

Beg = 12

Inter = 18

Adv. = 23

Super = 26

Squats (the one I HATE...pads on shoulders and squat down)

Beg = 10

Inter = 18

Adv. = 23

Super = 26 (impossible)

Leg Press (the one where you put your feet on pads with toes over edge and push out)

Beg = 20

Inter = 30

Adv = 35

Super = 40

Remember to keep in mind that the best workout at Curves is to put your energy into the number of repetitions you do on each machine. Simply maintain your heart rate on the platform in between machines....and then give it your all to speed up the number of reps on each machine...that will give you the best work out.

Good luck....keep up the work.....we are all Amazing Women!!!!!

(I think we should arrange for a Curves group cruise...anyone with me?)

Have fun,

Kimberly

Kimberly....Curves group cruise sounds cool to me.

It sounds like you have some different machines than we have.

Also, thanks for the # of reps for each machine. Our location tells us not to count, just to do the most we can (but not counting).

Isn't it funny how different Curves are set up? I went to the curves near my daughter when I was visiting her. There they rotated in the opposite direction, were VERY atkins/low carb friendly (even selling bars at the gym), they also had wraps (sock like) around all the "black" parts of the machines, and they also sold all of the Curves apparrel. My home Curves is very busy, open all day 7:30 to 7:30. The owner will NOT sell shirts,etc. and always posts negative low carb things. I ignore her, do my own thing, but it is nice to travel to different Curves to see how they are operated. I won't be going today (went yesterday) and I'll go tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well. Mary

PS Kimberly, the other curves had the "reps" posted. I'm glad you gave them to us, since I was wishing I wrote them down when I was there. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Kimberly,

Thanks for posting the reps. I talked to my Curves about it, and they are seriously looking into putting them up also. I spoke with the owner. Its funny you Curves doesn't sell the T-Shirts, I bought 2, and I get more compliments on the sayings from other people. They also sell the Curves shakes, and Curves has a contract with Kraft Foods, so my Curves has all the low carb Kraft foods on display so you know what to pick up at the grocery store. Also they give out "Curves Bucks", for various reasons like making your reps. on a certain machine, wearing the color of the day etc. We can use the Curve bucks to purchase cups, etc. They just stopped letting us use them for t-shirts. Curves Bucks range in value from $1 to $5.

I'm definitely down for a Curves cruise. If Richard Simmons can do it so can we.

Our location has all sorts of stuff you can "buy" with Curves bucks but they will NOT let you use "real" money for any of the merchandise. Not even the "Diane" magazine. They don't want you "counting" as you go. OUr hours are very limited but I hope they are going to expand them. (I have heard rumors). Now they are only open 8:30 to 1 and 3:30 to 7 (M-T), 8:30 to 1 and 3:30 to 6 (F), and 8:30 to 10:30 on Sat. I think we probably have older machines. I think our owner is a little "stretched" financially so we don't get "new" stuff as often as we probably should. We just go the computer scan/log-in a few months back. Everyone there is really sweet though.

Who can get this Curves group cruise started? (Oh...must be RCI though. Have never sailed anyone else and hubby won't "let" me go if it is anyone else.)

Hello everyone:

I'm glad to hear that you like my idea of a "Curves Group Cruise". I'll have to see what I can dream up for that one....I agree with skiiergirl...it has to be on Royal Caribbean.

My Curves uses the "Curves Bucks" to purchase t-shirts or handbags, etc. You can earn a buck if you attend 3 x week....but you have to have a card initialed each time, etc. I don't do that.....I'm in too much of a rush to get in and get out and beat the clock to the daycare center before it closes to collect my children. I've asked about purchasing the t-shirts with $$$ but they said no. My Curves promotes the Curves book and meal plan only. Nothing else. My Curves also does the "curves challenge" which is a 6-week (I think) program with a diet plan and group exercise workout after hours. I haven't participated in that.

I travel a lot with my job, so I am glad that I can use a travel pass and visit other Curves in the places I go to for work. It is interesting to see how the other Curves are set up and what machines they have etc. I just re-joined for a one year membership....paid $315.00 for the year....is that what other people are paying? Just curious.

I am cruising in November on the Mariner of the Seas with 7 of my girlfriends. This will be our 2nd cruise together for most of us...(3rd cruise together for 3 of us). (We sailed on the AOS in 10/03 and 4/04) We have decided to make this an annual or semi annual event. We are all married, or divorced, or have significant other. Our ages range from 24 to 61. We have a blast on these "girl's getaways". We are all Amazing Woman and the cruise is our reward for working hard all year long. We have t-shirts designed for the cruise and wear matching chunky rings, goofy hats, beads, etc. Anything to draw attention to ourselves and keep the party going. It is a lot of fun. We pamper ourselves all day long, do what WE want to do, read trashy romance novels, play truth or dare, dance the night away, and have a grand time. Remember, in the end, it is your girlfriends that will always be there for you. No matter what.

Never under estimate the power of a Woman!

I'm glad that so many other women enjoy Curves. I just completed my first month and did my measurements. Weight loss was 9.5 and Inches was 5.75. Does anyone know if that is a good month? My only disappointment was that there was no change in the waist!!!!! We have a terrific center here, with encouraging employees and different games to participate in. A raffle is held each month for members who go at least 3 X a week and it is for a weekend getaway! We receive Curves bucks for different reasons each day and we are only able to purchase the merchandise with those same bucks.

Adventure Girl-our local school district negotiated a price of $25 per month for our district employees with the enrollment fee waived. So...you're price is probably comparable to others. See if your business will work with them..We have a health coordinator in our district, who always knows when someone is eating McDonalds in our building...I swear he can sniff out french fries from a mile away...and then just shakes his head at you!!!! However, in conjunction with Curves, I've been doing WW and have lost a grand total of 23 lbs since May 6th!!! Yippee!! But I think I love Curves more than watching what I eat!! Phillis

Phillis: My experience with the waistline is that you need to walk to reduce inches on the waist. On the days that you do not go to Curves, try taking a 1- mile power walk. Make sure you do it faithfully at least 2 x per week. Or, put on some music that you like and dance around your livingroom for 30 min. I will guarantee you that next month you will see a change in your waist. Also, I know that it is very easy to say, but hard to do....but remember that carbohydrates land right in the gut and butt. Try increasing your protein meals and decreasing your carb meals. I'm not saying to eliminate carbs all together, but just keep one meal per day a carb meal...and the rest protein meals.

Pacificlander: Thanks for the comment on the monthly fee.....mine comes out to $29.00 per month by paying up front or with the auto withdrawl from checking acct. I was just curious if the price varied by franchise or by state.

Keep on moving!

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the info..I do love those carbs, but will make an effort to reduce them. I will try the walking. We have a beautiful trail that is three miles up and three back that I can drive to(road is too busy to walk) so, hopefully, this will work. I'll let you know and thanks for the encouragement. It really helps! Phillis

We have NO curves bucks at our club. That would be fine with me. The only way you can get any merchandise ( and that's the manager's choice) is if you refer another person or lose 25 inches. I have two teeshirts from both of those methods, but they are the SAME shirt. I see they have shorts, etc. I would love to be able to purchase them, but , as I said, there is no Curve Bucks program.

As for cost. Ours is 29 if you have it taken out and 39 if it's month to month. I don't know what the initiation fee was , but it was almost a wash since we got a "free" month. Must run. Mary

Hey everyone,

Cantwait... a great way to reduce your waist during your Curves workout is to do the "twist" while you are on the resting stations... you know a la Chubby Checker. I have had several members take 5 or more inches off their waist, abs and hips doing that for a month. All of these members come at least 3x a week.

mecb50... we put black knee highs over the rollers on the machines. It keeps the rubber from flaking off and it is easier to slide your legs/arms through them as well.

joyceyw... it is actually a Curves corporate policy that franchises are not allowed to sell anything but supplements. I know that there are Curves that break the rules... my club is not perfect in that regard. We do have tanning beds/products, some yoga equipment and great 3lb. hoola hoops that claim (and it has been proven in my club) that if you use the hoop for 10 min. 2x a day, you will tak 2 inches off your waist in a month. I have seen this happen over and over... check out the web and search for acu-hoop. They are the manufacturers.

The monthly fees does vary per club, especially per area of the country. Most clubs are either 29 or 39/month on draft or 39/49 on a month by month basis. Hopefully you won't find two clubs in the same area offering different pricing!

We don't have the rep chart at our club. I will have to copy it and see about getting it posted. It may help some of my members to move a little faster on the machines!

The Curves Weight Management program is a great program. I would encourage you to get the book and read up on it. It is a low carb/LEAN protein program that works!

Skiiergirl... your hours could also be based on the amount of people who are using the club. If the owner does not have enough people using it, she will not increase the hours, especially if she is paying one or two staff members to work per shift! Increase the number of members and perhaps she will be able to afford to increase the hours!

Zazzy

Zazzy, interesting about the "policies". I wish we had the opportunity to use "curve bucks". I didn't purchase anything at the other Curves I visited, but maybe the shirts, etc were with curve bucks. I believe they sell the bars, etc . Our curves has a table with selling other things that people are franchising. ( You know the different floral arrangements, gift baskets, massages, etc) So the policy is not kept stricktly to at the curves I have been at.

The knee highs sound like a great idea. The curves where they had socks was a lot more comfortable on the machines. Our owner does not take suggestions well, but I will mention the knee highs to the workers.

Thanks for all the info. Mary

Thanks for the reps info. Adventure Girl. My friends and I have been waiting for it. I'll take it in tomorrow and let you know how it went over. Our Curves does not have the Curves bucks either. The only way we get stuff is through their promotional give away programs. If you go for 3 times a week for two months you get a free t-shirt. If you go to their 6 week weight loss program with weekly meetings for a $39 fee you get 2 weeks worth of protein shakes, a tote bag and a t-shirt. They have lots of free stuff they give away, but you have to work for it. They did have a neat american flag t-shirt to give away every day during the week of 4th of July. They gave it out randomly by a drawing each morning. I do wish we had Curves bucks though. It's a neat idea and the woman who runs the place is very cheerful and open to suggestions. I think I might suggest Curves bucks to her. Wish me luck! Thanks again for the info.

Just discovered this thread and am so inspired by your examples!! I joined Curves 4 months ago and love it. I picked up the Curves book because I had been saying I "HAD" to lose weight for a long time. Loved the book and started the diet. Discovered through a web search that we had 2 franchises locally and have been going ever since - have lost about 25 pounds but seem to be stuck there. There are a couple of things I really like about Curves. (1) It's everywhere. I travel a lot for business and have used Curves from Michigan to Texas to California. Some of your comments are right - there is sometimes a BIG difference in how the place is run. But the machines are always there so it works fine. (2) I also like the fact that everyone is not a size 8 Barbie Doll in tights but are just normal people.:D I typically work out with people that are from 18 to 72, those who just want to tone along with those of us who need to lose a LOT of weight, some ladies are using it as therapy while recovering from a stroke, etc. Sorry, know this sounds like an ad (I don't work for Curves by the way) but am so happy with it that I had to share! By the way, thanks, Adventure Girl, for the rep list - that gives me a goal to work with.

Hey guys. Just checking in real quick here. I am out of town on business so not getting to hang out on the web like I usually do. Am still trying to eat right. There is a Curves down the street (or at least according to the website) but am working too late to go there so I am just walking around the hotel or doing a walking dvd in my room. I am so glad everyone is doing well.

Zazzy...We have really increased members over the last 6 months. In March we had so many new members that I couldn't go after work. There was a line for machines so I had to rearrange my schedule to go at a different time. Luckily that isn't happening anymore even though we are getting quite a few new members. I have a dear friend that I would love to get to go but she can't make it by the time they close in the evenings. I wish they would extend hours just a half an hour (until 7:30) and a few more hours on Saturday. I know what you are saying thought...more members means the owner could afford to pay staff longer....but longer hours would also allow for more people to fit it into their schedule. We only have one staff person. In March when things were so crazy, the staff person would be doing the paperwork and I would be showing the new people the "routine" etc. It helped me though....I would usually be just about done with my workout when she would get slammed so I'd continue on to show the new person/people the program so I'd work out two or three times while there. It was probably good for me. I didn't mind that. I just didn't like having to go in and stand in line to wait for a machine.

Well gotta go. Everyone hang in there. Do Curves and walk! Oh, yeah....I'll have to try the "twist" and see if it works.

I especially need help with "butt" and thighs. Anyone got any good tips?

I have this tummy bulge I would like to get rid of. I am okay around the ribcage area, but when you get to the naval and below I have a tummy bulge. It makes me look pregnant. I can't seem to get rid of it. I was doing some exercises right after I worked out at Curves in the stretching room. But I was told by one of the members that the stomach crunches I was doing would help the upper stomach area and not the lower area I was wanting to target. Does anyone know of any good exercises that will help flatten the lower stomach area just below the naval? I know I need to diet and exercise to lose the fat there. But I also know that those muscles are terribly stretched out and out of shape there from childbirth. I know I really need to strengthen those muscles and get them back into shape. Right after my workout when I'm stretching is the best time for me. Has anyone got any suggestions for me? I have a friend who says I should get a book on pilates because they have lots of good floor exercises. I don't want to buy an entire book just to find one exercise for my stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Cruisinqt: If you are interested in trying Pilates, I would look for a tape first, instead of a book....so you can see how the movements flow. Maybe try your local library to see if they have a tape you can borrow...or a video rental store to rent a Pilates tape. In Pilates, they have a move that is like a sit up, except that you start flat on your back, arms over your head on the floor. Then, you slowly raise your arms up over your head and then slowly pull up to a sitting position and then follow thru forward to touch your toes. One fluid, slow motion. Same thing on the reverse down.....very slowly...tightening your stomach muscles or "power house" the entire time. Using your "power house" to control the slow movement.

I also firmly believe that power walking will help reduce the waist size. Low carb diet also helps.

Well, I'm finally somewhat back on track with Curves. I went 2 times last week, and so far this week, I've been once. I've been out of town on business, but got up early yesterday and walked the 4 blocks to the Curves in the town I was working in and did my workout. It was a nice facility....better than the one I am a member of. Planned to go there again today, but over slept. Go figure. So, tomorrow is another day. And, I've been eating terrible this week. All bad stuff. Oh well, I'll get over it.

dderm: I'm with you.....lost 26 pounds but I am stuck now in a holding pattern at the same weight. (But I am cheating and being bad more than before, so that isn't helping). I think it is time to try a different approach. Sometimes, you initially lose the weight and then need to try a different angle or diet to get the pounds falling off again. If I come up with a plan, I'll let you know!

Take care everyone.

I joined curves Feb. 2003. I was 45, two kids, gained a few poinds over the years - and just wasn't happy wearing a size 12/14 (I weighed myself and remembered I was that weight when I gave birth 16 years ealier.) Still I never looked my true weight, wasn't haeavy. Just wasn't as comfortable with myslef. Everyone said I didn't need to loose, etc. Anyway....

Since joining I have lost a total of 18/20 [pounds) depending on when I am weighed/time of month). But what really counts is a total of 24 inches! I go usually 3x per week - sometimes can't make it 3x but usually make every attempt. I enjoy going - feel better physically - I have more energy. Etc.

My friends say I have never looked better. I still would like to loose another 5 lbs - I just can't seem to get past this number on the scale, yet inches are still coming off! I just had a friend alter all my "cruise" dresses (they were too big!! I have cruised twice since joining curves. One time I didn't exercise at all and gained about 5 lbs. The other time I went to the gym around 3/4 times - ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted - gained two lbs. These came off right away when I got home.

Moral - keep going - it does work. I happen to loose alot in the very beginning (pound wise). Now the pounds are staying the same, but inches are coming off still. I have not dieted at all. Only change was to eat more salads at lunch instead of bread and cut out the bagel with cream cheese in the am. I have yougurt or a bowl of ceral for breakfast every day. I do cheat and have that bagel here and there - but not every day!

Have to run - curves is waiting.

TACMS: That is a great story! Good for you! Your story sounds similar to my experience. It wasn't that I looked bad with the added weight, but I look even better now. I agree, the weight comes off quickly at first, but right now I'm holding at the same number for months. I haven't been measured since March, so I'm not sure about inches. I am still wearing the same size though, (new size), so probably no change in inches. I'm looking for something to get the weight loss started again. I guess I'll have to change what I'm eating or something. I have been cheating a lot lately, (I just scarfed a bunch of potato chips!)

I sailing on the Voyager of the Seas in 50 days so I need to get a little more serious about my weight loss efforts. I want to lose another 5 pounds by my Sept cruise and a total of 10 pounds by November 7th, when I have my "big" cruise with my girlfriends.

I have a Curves question....how many times does everyone do the circuit? Two or Three times? I know that some Curves don't have all of the machines, so ladies are instructed to go around 3 times. My Curves now has all of the machines, and going around 3 times takes over 45 min. Sometimes I get bored or hurried and I stop after 2 times around....which takes about 30-35 min.

What does everyone else do? Two times around or Three times around?

Thanks

[quote name='Adventure Girl']
I have a Curves question....how many times does everyone do the circuit? Two or Three times? I know that some Curves don't have all of the machines, so ladies are instructed to go around 3 times. My Curves now has all of the machines, and going around 3 times takes over 45 min. Sometimes I get bored or hurried and I stop after 2 times around....which takes about 30-35 min.

What does everyone else do? Two times around or Three times around?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
My Curves has all of the machines, and we go around twice. It take 30 minutes.

From what I understand, it is a 30 minute workout. So if your curves has all the machines, go around for 30 minutes (2 1/2 times?) My curves is almost there with the machines - so it takes 30/35 minutes to go around 3 times (and I don't ALWAYS stop to count my heart beat - it is ALWAYS the same!!!) and those 30 seconds add up to a few minutes at the end.

Kim,
Put down those potato chips!!! I'm jealous and would love to eat potato chips.

Our Curves is twice around for 30 minutes. If they are not busy, I usually go a third time, panting and sweating as I do. We have all the machines here. I absolutely hate the one, pushing my legs up and down..Yikes, that one is painful! Keep up the good work ladies, success is coming our way! Phillis

Our Curves is so large we have multiples of some machines. We go around 1 3/4 times. ( although I go around twice, since I skip the squat machine). The other question I have is the music. Do all Curves buy it from a specific place? Ours has pretty good stuff, except when they put on the really new music for the younger crowd. The curves I visited did not have the same music , so I was wondering how they decide and where they get the music. Mary

Zazzy, I joined Curves in Feb. 2003, started working there in Mar. and just found out today that I am going to be manager at our facility. I'm very excited about the challenge and looking forward to it. I love working at Curves, it's so much fun and our members are awesome. To those of you who are doing so well on the program, Way To Go!!!!!! It's so much fun and so rewarding to hear about all of your positive results. I'm also going to look into the reps chart as we don't have it at our club either.

Archived