Curves - Weight Loss

BUDDY7

Hi everyone,

So nice that there's a Curves thread!

I confess- I have been a Curves member for almost 2yrs and I've been less than 50 times. I'm a full time student, no kids or anything, it's just so hard to make myself go! I'm ten minutes walking (no car) away from the gym and I can't remember how long it's been since I was there 3x a week.

I'm getting married in March and my wedding dress is a size too small- I really don't want to pay to have it let out!

I wear a size 16/18 but I'd dearly love to be in a 14 on my wedding day and for my honeymoon cruise!

Hopefully with the support of you wonderful ladies I will be able to make myself go to Curves!

I was there today... gotta go two more times this week!

Susie

Susie....I know I have said this before but I think it is worth repeating....The days that I "make myself" go to Curves are the best workouts and I feel great afterwards. The days that I really don't want to go, don't feel like going, have to go to the dry cleaners, the grocery store, had a hard day at work, had a boring day at work, have to fix dinner for hubby, have to go tan, just flat don't have the energy.....those are the days that the workout does me the most good. When I "force" myself to go even though I don't "feel like it"....I leave with much more energy than I went with. If I don't go to Curves then I go home and become a couch potato. If I do go to Curves then I get an energy surge and I can go on for several more hours being "productive". If one to two dress sizes is all you are looking for then you can certainly do that by March. Just concentrate on exercising and eating right. Do Curves 3/4 times per week and on the other days either go for a long (1-3 mile walk) or do the treadmill or do an exercise DVD. Get some sort of exercise every day. What eating plan are you on? I try to stick with Atkins but I know South Beach is good and very similiar. There are other plans out there that would work too. I think the key is to exercise and eat right in combination. You can drop those lbs/inches before that wedding/honeymoon. Good luck. I know you can do it.

Skiiergirl,

Unfortunately it doesn't usually work for me like that- when I don't want to go, I come home exhausted. When I go pepped up I feel better afterwards. Too bad- I wish I could tell myself I'd feel better if I went!

I'm not on any diet right now- I try to practise moderation, though. I can't afford to join WW, and eating low carb makes me sick. I have cut out soda, except rarely, drink 10L of water weekly, and try to eat smaller portions. I do eat a lot of prepared food though which is bad.

I've considered buying Lean Cuisines and keeping them in the freezer but the portions are SO small that I'm starving later and always wind up snacking- I think it's worse than if I just eat a normal serving of whatever I cook.

I wonder how much Curves can knock off without a really serious diet. I know it sounds like I really don't want to lose the weight but it's hard. Buying healthy food is so much more expensive than just eating whatever.

I do a stretching routine every night as well- currently it's at 10 situps, 2 pushups, and 10 squats. Dan (my fiance) says it looks like my stomach is starting to tone up after 2 weeks of this. I hope so. I plan to add to this and continue it right up to the wedding day. Any other exercise suggestions are welcome!

I really hope I can drop 2 sizes by March. People are giving me clothes in size 14 so I want to be able to wear them! Plus I have 5 pairs of jeans and so many shirts just waiting for me.. I haven't been able to wear them for 2-3 years.

Nothing's ever easy, is it?

SusieV: If you have the time, look back on this thread to page 1 or 2 and you will find my story. Briefly, for the past 10 years I have been a size 16 or 18. I've always been a big girl....usually size 14 on a good year and size 16 or 18 on a bad year. I never in a million years thought that I could lose weight. I had joined Curves about 2 years ago, and like you, I went occassionally and never saw any results. Then, in Jan 2004 I booked a cruise for March 2004 and wanted to lose weight. I was not happy with the way I looked. So, I rejoined Curves, went faithfully 3 times per week. I also walked on my treadmill for 30 min, 2 times per week. I did not do WW, I did not do Atikins or South Beach. However, I did cut back on the number of times during the week that I ate things like spaghetti, pizza, chinese, etc. I skipped breakfast, stuck with a tossed salad with grilled chicken or tuna or steak for lunch, and then whatever I wanted for dinner....but in much smaller portions than I would normally eat. (If I were you, I would not do the TV dinner thing....like you said, not a big enough or filling portion).

O.K., between Jan 1, 2004 and March 3, 2004 I lost 18 pounds....I also lost a total of 17 inches on my body through Curves and 4 of those inches were on my waist. To date, I have lost a total of 28 pounds and I have gone from a tight size 16 to a very loose size 12. I can't believe I am wearing a size 12....I haven't worn a size 12 since I was in the 10th grade! (And that was over 20 years ago!). I fell our of my routine and I have not gone to Curves since the end of July. I don't know why, I just have been busy. However, I continue to walk on the treadmill 3 times per week and I have managed to keep the weight off. I'm not losing any more weight, but I am not gaining either. I'm going on a cruise in 3 weeks and I had to purchase all new clothing for the trip. I'd actually like to lose another 5 or 8 pounds over the next three weeks, but I don't think that will happen.

SusieV....you can do it....just put your mind to it. Tell yourself that you need to make a change and you can do it. You will feel so much better about yourself and the accomplishment you have achieved.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted. We are here if you need to chat or look for ideas on exercise or eating right.

Kimberly

Hi all,
I totally agree with Skiier and Adventure, the days I try to talk myself out of going are the days I feel so good afterwards. My Curves is on my way home, so as I am driving home, I tell myself, "I am tired, I had a bad day at work, I have to work in the garden", you pick the excuse, I have tried it on myself. I finally made a pact with myself to go at least 4 days a week and now no matter what, I turn on my turn signal, take the exit and before I know it I am there. Once in the parking lot, I cannot go back! Sometimes I really work out and other times I go a slower pace but no matter what, it makes me feel better. Last month I made the Honor Roll, 16+ times in the month. I will make it again this month too. I have not been since Monday as my car has been in the shop, but I get it back tomorrow and believe me I will be at Curves tomorrow!
I also lost inches and pounds before I got seroius about Atkins. The exercise does speed up your metabolism, so even if you are not dieting, 4-5 times a week will tone you up and hekp you lose inches. I am a big girl too, 5'10, large frame, the last time I saw a size 12, I was 12!:rolleyes: I have always been a size 14 to 18 all my life. I am now down from a 2x in Jan 04 to an XL/16W and I plan on being a size 14 again by my cruise.:) Curves does work!
Jodie

Well I agree with everyone else..I wish I could wear a size 12 and haven't seen those days since college..but..you have our support! I do WW and Curves and walking and have learned to adapt around the real world..I take my Curves clothes to work with me so I have no excuse to go home and drop on the couch! On the days I walk..same thing..clothes are with me and then no excuses..Now the WW..try to find someone who is currently doing the program and ask them to share their materials with you. WW has really taught me quite a bit about eating habits..it will also force you to drink water, eat vegetables and dairy. Also take a multivitamin every day! I also no longer eat red meat, any foods containing trans fats and no white flour items..that seems to be helping contain my weight! If you do buy the Lean Cuisine or WW meals, supplement them with sliced vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatos. It takes away the urge..I also buy the packaged vegetables that allows you to take out the portions that you want..its cheaper than buying single packages..those you can find in the frozen aisle. This week, Shaws Supermarkets has the WW meals for .99...see if your local food store has a similar sale. There is a WW thread that is very supportive if you need some pep talks..but know that we are all in the same situation..trying to exercise, lose some weight and just to feel better.. Hope some of these suggestions help! Today my stitches in leg come out and then I'm off to Curves..Have a great day everyone and good luck...

Well, today was the first day I've been to Curves since the end of July. The girl working was shocked to see me. She asked what had happened to me....i told her I just fell off the wagon....I'm trying to get my act in gear now. Crunch time....3 weeks until I sail. I only went around 2 times as that is all that I could handle today. Hopefully I'll make it back tomorrow.

Take care,
Kimberly

Thanks so much for your support, everyone! It really helps.

I did go to Curves yesterday after all! I tried to increase my number of reps and got killed halfway through the circuit. I must be doing something right because I'm usually tired but not that tired!
At least I do the water thing- I cut out soda and I drink about 10L of water a week.

That makes 2x this week, planning to go tomorrow... I hope I can keep this up! I really, really want to slim down for my wedding photos. I'd hate to look at myself for the rest of my life thinking how fat I was on my wedding day.

So why is it so darn hard to make myself go???

Susie....Congratulations. I am proud of you for going. Keep up the good work. I think you will find that if you "make yourself go" 3 (or even more times per week) for several weeks it will become a habit and you will just make it part of your routine. Then it won't seem like such a challenge/effort to go. You can do it!

[quote name='SusieV']So why is it so darn hard to make myself go???[/QUOTE] I agree with the post that once you get yourself into the habit of going regularly, it becomes part of your normal routine. It does pay off. I joined Curves in July and have been going at least 3 days a week. I generally try to go Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have lost total over 15 inches and have dropped about 16 pounds. Not only have I gotten into a smaller size, but I feel great.

We just got back from our first cruise on Saturday (Century), and we were very active. I took the stairs 95% of the time. Thanks to Curves I believe I am in better shape physically then I was before Curves. I had vowed before we sailed that I would do the track in the mornings and it never happened. There were just too many "fun things" going on. I also ate what I wanted and when I wanted, being careful not to overeat. I stopped eating when I was full, but not over full if you know what I mean.

This last Monday I decided I had put it off long enough and I stepped on the scale. Scared to death I might add. I had lost 1/2 pound! Talk about all the encouragement I needed to go to Curves that afternoon. :D

Sorry to make this so long, but Susie whatever it take.... Go! You will be happy in the long run that you did. Remember it is only 30 minutes out of your day!

Hi everyone,

I did it! Today made three times. I know it isn't much but it's a start, and I'm proud of myself.

I really, really want to be able to do this. I'm so glad there's this forum because I don't know anyone at my local gym and I have no one to go with which makes it harder. Plus, I have to walk to get there (no car) and sometimes the weather is just miserable.

Anyway, thank you all. I hope to continue being a member of this forum. I love reading your success stories.

To Curves and cruising!

Susie, Way to go! I did not go all last week(bad me but good reasons), so today was my first day back. Boy did I miss it. I will be there the rest of this week too! I go at lunch time if possible if not then on my way home. I also do not go with anyone. I am not real chatty so I think some of the women there think I am kinda stuck up. Oh well. I did win some Curves Bucks the week before, in one of the games. I also got some for going 18 times last month and for having my yearly mammogram this week. Supposedly I can "spend" them on T-shirts or other Curves items. Just one more incentive to go. You are doing great! Keep it up. I will be thinking of you tomorrow as I am doing the circuit.
Have a good nite all!
Jodie

Hi everyone,

I wish my Curves offered Bucks or anything cool. I'd love to get a T-shirt. I think mine gives them out when you meet your weight goal.

I don't really socialize much at Curves because I'm one of the youngest members and I don't know anyone at all. I wish I had people to talk to and go with!

I went again today! Thanks so much for your support.. it's really helping me to get up and go.

I am picturing not having to pay the $120 for the seamstress to let my dress out... don't know if I mentioned but I bought it off the rack a size too small because it saved me $600 off an $1100 dress which I couldn't have afforded otherwise.

I feel much more upbeat! Hope everyone is doing well and had a great weekend!

Susie

Susie...Just keep that dress in mind and maybe that will keep you motivated. Do you have a picture of it? If so, keep it handy and whenever you don't feel like going just pull it out and look at it and maybe it will motivate you to go. As far as knowing anyone or talking....I have one friend that joined but never goes. Luckily though, I live in a small town where everyone is really friendly. Someone is always starting up the conversation. We just start with the weather, a local news event, or "boy was work tough today"...something like that. Then most of the time (not always though) the conversation just continues and builds and then before you know it, I have done an extra rotation because I was "into" the conversation and not keeping track of what I was doing. lol

People at my Curves mostly seem to talk to just their friends. Oh well- I guess I work harder when I'm not talking.

I didn't go today but I plan to go tomorrow and Friday.

I do have a picture of me wearing my dress- I love it. But as you can see the sleeves are too tight and it doesn't do all the way up at the back. It's a zipper, not a lace-up.

[img]http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/1122650/3771412/62813511.jpg[/img]

I really need to shrink my upper arms because they're too large, and any extra that I can lose off my stomach/hips/behind will help so much!

I know I still look chunky in it but hopefully not as bad as my mom thinks. She says it makes me look like a cow. Gee, thanks mom.

Susie,
Way to go girl! The dress is beautiful! :) And you look beautiful in it.:D Keep going to Curves and your arms will get smaller along with everything else. Just keep motivated and the dress will fit in no time. Maybe you will have to pay to have it taken in! I have 55 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. If I can do it, so can you! I am off to Curves soon as I had my nails done at lunch so will stop on my way home. Catch ya later this eve.
Hi there skiier!
Jodie

Susie...Just keep that pix handy and let it get you/keep you motivated. It is great dress for you and like Jodie said....maybe you'll have to have it taken up instead of "let out". That would be way cool....and show your mom too. lol Maybe it is a difference in the part of the country you are in. I don't mean this badly at all...but maybe my area is just more "friendly". We just "jump in" on conversations or start up conversations. Once someone starts, it just keeps going. I probably do work harder when I am not talking but I find it much more enjoyable when I am talking/listening. If there is no conversation going on, I push myself to make it 3 rounds. If there is conversation going on, I have been known to go 6 rounds without even thinking about it. lol I am not saying to do something you aren't comfortable with, but if you are comfortable with it...just jump in on the conversation or start one up and see how it goes. With or without conversation, I know you can do it! That dress and upcoming wedding/honeymoon are good motivators!

Thank you very much for the compliments! I really love the dress. Maybe it wasn't the most flattering one I tried on but it makes me feel like a princess.

I had myself weighed today to see what I am working with, and since my last weigh-in, in May, I have lost 3lb but gained inches unfortunately. Gotta get rid of those!

I did go to Curves tonight and plan to go again tomorrow, making two weeks in a row that I went 3x! I'm really proud of myself, even though it's just a small step.

I have to be careful where I put that picture so my fiance doesn't see it :) I'll keep coming back and checking this thread I'm sure so it's a good place for it.

I would gladly pay to have it taken in! I'm probably dreaming... can't lose that much before mid January when I have to start fittings.

Hi everyone!

I've been doing Curves since January 2003. I initially lost within the first year 13 pounds and 20 inches! I continued going and then switched to another Curves that opened closer to me. I slowly started to see my weight increasing although my routine and eating habits hadn't changed...I then realized that the newer Curves had newer equipment that was harder to manipuate. The old club had worn out machines so I could do ALOT more reps! The newer club had stiffer hydraulics, so my reps went down, but I was working harder...It took little effort to get to my target heartrate.

What I realized is I've gained 7 pounds of my 13, but I realized it's muscle, not fat. My BMI has consistently stayed below 25%, so I guess I can't complain...it's frustrating that I've plateaued and for me to actually LOSE weight, I'd have to change my diet, which I have altered since starting, but I refuse to alter it any more, so I recognize this is about me, not Curves.

It does work, but like many have said here, you have to go by your clothes and how they fit...not weight...not the scales....that's a psychological mind trip...

Keep at it!!!

Susie....I am so proud of you! I knew you could do it. Two weeks in a row. Keep it up. Make it 3 and it soon will be a habit and you won't want to miss.

I didn't make it last week (female troubles) but plan on making it as much as possible this week.

JodieBB...Do you do any other programs? I love Curves and plan on making it a lifelong program. However, when I plateau I vary it up a little. I still go to Curves as much as possible but I also either 1. Do treadmill at home or 2. Do dvd/video at home (Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds Express). I find this helps.

I have been going to Curves a couple months now, usually 4-5 times per week. I haven't noticed any change yet-is it too soon? Are the people losing inches/weight also dieting? I mainly joined just to tone up, but wouldn't mind losing some waist/hip inches...Any tips/suggestions? Thanks!

I've considered buying Lean Cuisines and keeping them in the freezer but the portions are SO small that I'm starving later and always wind up snacking- I think it's worse than if I just eat a normal serving of whatever I cook.

Reply:
It's better to make your own food and you can even cook up a bunch of things on the weekend and make your own 'frozen dinners' but Lean Cuisine and the like are good for learning portion control. Try having your Lean Cuisine but make a nice salad and eat that first, then have the LC dinner. If you are still hungry have some fruit or other low cal/or low carb treat, not another full plate of dinner. :-)
The salad on the side really helps.

I think my 5 year old nieces eat more food than is served in a Lean Cuisine, honestly! I wonder where they got those ideas from, because that isn't a serving!

I'm still keeping it up! This is week 3... I've only been once so far this week but there's still Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!

How is everyone else doing?

Sunshine- have you talked to your Curves owner? You should be seeing something, anyway. In my first month at Curves I lost 3lbs of fat and 7 inches, and my BMI dropped slightly. I'm not really dieting but hoping to lose at least as much as I did last time.

No, I haven't talked to her. I weigh about 118-120 lbs now, and really just wanted to go back to my "happy" weight of 110-115 lbs. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd notice something-my waist and hips seem to be bigger (not since Curves, but just in general) and I was hoping that I'd see some sort of loss there. Thanks for the advice-I'll ask her. Is it harder when you're so close to your goal or about the same no matter how much you're trying to lose?

Archived