Curves - Weight Loss

BUDDY7

Hello ladies.

CantWaitForDecember: I'm back from my cruise on the Mariner. I hate to tell you that I gained 8 lbs on the cruise. I've NEVER gained weight on a cruise before. The food was so good. And, this time we had late dining which was at 8:30 pm. So, we always went to the Windjammer for snacks at 5 or 6 pm. So I basically ate 4 full meals a day....plus all of the calories from foo foo drinks by the pool. And, the ship had an Asian restaurant called Jade....I ate more fried rice this past week than I have all year long. I had egg fried rice with breakfast and then fried rice and lomein and everything else for lunch everyday. We still took the mile walk every morning and we always took the stairs instead of the elevator. But, I still gained weight. So, it is time to get back on track. I received a promotion at work right before I left for vacation, and now I am in the process of moving to another office in a different city from where I was previously working, so I'll have to change my Curves membership to the new city I'll be in. And then, it will be trying to find time to fit in going there. I do have an hour for lunch, but I usually get pretty sweaty during my workout....would not be good for going back to work. I guess it all comes down to motivation and dedication to exercise. I've got to get back in gear.

You must be only a few short weeks away from your cruise. Have fun. Keep moving everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey gals...this board is awfully slow. I have been gone for a couple of weeks and thought it would take me awhile to read and catch up with you guys. Guess I was wrong. How is everyone doing? I only made it to the gym once in two weeks but did some stairs too and of course walked and swam on shore ex, etc. Got to get back to Curves though. The scales say I gained 3 lbs during the two weeks but it sure feels like more!

Let's all get back to Curves and work off our holiday treats!

I've been a Curves member 3 months now and have been going faithfully 3x a week. No weight loss but I have lost a couple inches. I feel great though, much stronger and and I sleep better at night. My goal is to get my body fat % under 30 but I think that will take a while. Any suggestions?

Hi girls.....SusieV....how are you doing with Curves? Don't worry about the new meds you are taking...just keep moving...you'll do o.k. Have you had any results with Curves?

My work location has changed to a city 1 hour from where I live. So, I'll have to look into moving my membership to the Curves where I work. Not that I'll have time to go....I work until 5 pm, and if I go to Curves, I won't get home until after 7pm and I have two small children. I don't know what to do. I've had a slight weight gain and since I cruised in November, I've fallen off the wagon and consume too much junk foods. I've got to get back on track.

I hope everyone is doing well. The main thing is to keep your body in motion. When going to the malls this holiday season, make sure you park in the furthest part of the parking lot and WALK. Walking is the best exercise.

Happy Holidays.

Hi everyone:

I have discovered the only way to keep myself losing weight.....book another cruise! I just booked another cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. We leave in just 4 short weeks! Sailing on Jan 16 - 23, 2005. So, the diet is on in full swing. I have eliminated the junk food, increased the greens and leafy vegetables, and have begun walking on the treadmill. (My new job does not allow me the time for Curves. If I went to Curves after work I wouldn't get home until after 7 pm. I have two young children and just can't do that).

Skiiergirl: I hope you can get back on track with Curves. I know it is hard. Do you have anything planned that might motivate you to get to Curves more often? It is so hard during the holiday season, isn't it? Best of luck to you.

Keep moving everyone!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All!

I own a Curves in Southern Ca. I have enjoyed reading these posts. I have to agree with several of the ladies on the intensity of the workout. If you are not working to your hardest when on the machines you will see little results.
The machines are set up so that you sprint as hard as you can on them and then move to a recovery board, then sprint on the next machine. I tell my members this is the best 30 minutes of your day but it should be the hardest also. If you can jog, do jumping jacks ect on the recovery boards you are not working hard enough on the machines. You must also maintain your target heart rate for those 30 minutes. That target is your fat burning zone, if your not in it you won't see weight loss results.
If a member is working hard, keeping in the "zone" and not seeing results we then refer her to the book Permanent Results without Permanent dieting" This an amazing book that will walk you thru deciding which diet is best for you and then has it planned out for you.
I personally have used it to lose 15 pounds and now have another 25 to go. I didn't realize I has carb intolerant until I read it. I satrtes the low card plan and the weight has come off easily.
If I can answer any questions I will try. It's a fantastic program with hundreds and hundreds of success stories.

Take CAre,
Donna

Elation
Ecstasy
Pride
Spirit

Just found this thread and it is great! I'm also going to Curves and just had my first weigh-in ( gained 2 lbs!) but lost 4 1/2 inches! I really enjoy the workout and try to work to my max when I am there. I figure if I'm not sweating and hitting muscle fatigue, then I'm not working hard enough. The interesting thing is that while I am on the South Beach and doing Curves, my weight loss seems to have come to an abrupt halt. Is this the old muscle weighs more than fat thing that I read about? In other words, I really am losing but also gaining muscle from the workouts. Or, have I hit a plateau? Any ideas?? So far 30 lbs. off and we leave on Feb. 20 th. for the Panama. Sure would like to lose another 5-6 lb.

How long have you been at the same weight?

Generally it's a plateau when you been dieting (not cheating) and have not lost any weight for 2 to 3 weeks. At Curves we recommend changing from a lo-carb to low cal diet to shake up you metabolism at this point. You can find all this info in "Permanent Results without Permanant Dieting" by Gary Heavin. If you still aren't losing it's time to rev up that metabolism and it has a whole section on just how to do that. I love the Curves diet, the theory behind it and the fact that it's has been proven to work by studies done at Baylor University. Yes, Curves had them test the diets and theories to prove they worked in a non-biased environment.

Some women who are perpetual dieters will need to do the metobolic tune-uo before really dieting. After long term dieting you have lowered you metabolism so low in alot of cases, short of starvation you won't loose.

I am currently on my second week of the lo-card plan, and have lost about 7 lbs. Well on my way to losing the 25 I want before my cruise in April. I did this diet once 1 1/2 yrs ago and lost the weight I wanted then got lazy. SO her I go again : )

Good Luck!
Donna

Thanks for the feed-back. I have stayed within 3-4 pounds of the same weight for over a month now. I was darned good over Christmas and have been excellent since then but just can't seem to get below 195. I hit there, don't change my eating habits, go to Curves and work out very diligently but I stick at that magic number. I talked to the ladies there and they suggested that I introduce some carbs into my diet - good ones only of course, to see if that will rev things up. I thought I'd start with a piece of whole wheat toast at breakfast or perhaps some oatmeal ( not the instant ) with blueberries. I really haven't been eating any carbs and perhaps this is the problem. I've also cut my wine consumption down to almost zero hoping that would help. Will keep trying though. I still need to lose 3-5 lb. before we head off to Panama on Feb. 20

Litewait,

No matter how hard I work on the machines at Curves, I can't get my heart rate to 20 without jogging on the recovery stations. I tried again last night, but some of the arm machines especially don't tend to make me sweat. I'll keep trying because I really enjoy it and I feel so much stonger.

I had plateaued too for quite sometime.

I started losing weight and exercising 3 years ago, lost 40 pounds, and kept it off! But I wanted more toning since the exercise I was doing was walking and treadmill (I do use hand weights regularly when I exercise on the treadmill). Now I want to lose an additional 15 pounds since I never really "finished" what I had started although I am ecstatic that I have kept the weight off. Lots of cruising is good motivation for that!!!

Curves has helped me somewhat in the toning category as I am FINALLY, after 5 months' time, starting to see some results in the inches lost category. Even still though it is SLOW progress. But my weight would not budge any lower, just up and down a pound or 2.

Frustrated, I finally added back the walking/treadmill the other 4 days a week that I don't go to Curves. I am starting to see some success and I feel like I am officially off my plateau... I cannot get my heartrate up to 20 if I don't jog on the pads no matter how hard I work on some of the machines. My focus is totally on working those machines as hard as I possibly can! No matter how hard I work the machines, I rarely sweat. On the treadmill I always sweat! I wonder if this is the difference too?

I think Curves is best for those who are starting out with exercise and have not been exercising for a long time like I have. I have talked to others at my Curves club who have had the same experience when they have been exercising prior to joining Curves. What's up with that?

Do your clubs have suggested reps on each machine posted? I had many of my members saying the same thing until I posted suggested reps at each machine for beginners, inter. advanced. I obtained them from other Curves owners and tried the reps before posting. I can't hit someof the inter. levels and I work out the 3 times a week. I try and push myself harder to get the one extra in and work toward the next goal. I sweat every workout not alot. Sometimes if you don't sweat you should be looking for a flushed color to your face, this is another indication of good blood pumping.
I also have women who can't seem to hit that target, most are on somekind of medication that may inhibit it. If you are in a special population, pregnant, largely overweight, high blood pressure, beta-blockers, heart conditions- your SHOULD NOT be trying to reach the mid range but staying in the 50%
I hope that helps some.

Happy Cruising,
Donna

Hi Lite,

It helps to know this info, but not the case with me. We don't have reps posted but after diligently reading all the way through this post i do count now and always try to exceed my prior "record" on each machine!

Could you share the reps that are posted for each machine at your location?

Donna....Thanks for the info. We do not have "recommended reps" posted. We are just told to work as hard as we can on machines and then "rest" on the resting boards. I have always had trouble getting "high enough" to get to my target rate. I do sweat though....sweat like a pig. lol I am fairly considerably overweight and I am on blood pressure medicing (the lightest dose available according to dr.).

Please do not go into your clubs and ask why you don't have them. This is not a mandatory thing by Curves International, it is something done by individual owners at the request of members. Some owners like the idea some don't. It works for my club.

Donna

Bi-Tri Curls (the one where you make a fist with arms alternating)
Beg. = 14
Inter = 15
Adv. = 19
Super= 21 (well conditioned atheletes)

Leg Curls ( the one where you put your ankles under the rollers)
Beg. = 11
Inter. = 13
Adv. =16
Sper = 22

Lats/shoulders (the one where you lift the bar above your head)
Beg. = 14
Inter =18
Adv. = 20
Super =23

Chest/Back (the one where you keep your elbows out and push bar out)
Beg = 12
Inter = 18
Adv =23
Super =26

Squats (pads on shoulders and move up & down)
Beg =8
Inter =12
Adv =15
Super = 23 (impossible LOL!)

Leg Press (Glute Machine)( standing machine, push out with heel behind you)
Beg =15
Inter = 20
Adv. =25
Super = 35

Hip Ad/Ab ( the doctors chair)
Beg = 14
Inter = 17
Adv =19
Super = 24

Ab/Back Use the handles and preform almost a rocking type movement)
Beg = 17
Inter = 19
Adv. = 24
Super = 27

Oblique ( picture frame, move with waist side to side)
Beg = 6
Inter = 9
Adv =13
Super= 15

I do not have data on the
Lateral lift
Dip shrug
Pec Dec

Thanks, Donna! I have asked in the past about reps at the Curves where I belong and they do not want to post any counts. I have been to 4 other Curves near where I live and none of them do the reps! I think it helps me personally as a self motivating challenge. I am more focused when I count and less distracted. Perhaps it would not be a good thing for some, it just depends on each person. Thanks again!

Before I posted I had a member come to me and ask as she had seen them at a club in another state. I then polled my most active members and they were all very positive saying exactly what you did. It's a self motivator, gives you something to strive for and to actually have some goal in mind.

I hope it helps those who want it.

Curves has some great promos going on with many companie, I am thrilled that we are reaching out to so many women.

HAve a great day!
Donna

[quote name='reddeb2121']AVON has a deal right now that if you order $10 from their new book you get a free two week pass to Curves- so will be trying it out in a couple of week with
my Four cruise mates:p[/QUOTE]

Hi there - not sure why a free pass to Curves is a deal. Where I live, the first three instruction lessons are free. You only pay up after you have had the intro and have decided if it is for you. Is this not common practise?

Curves International generally says ONE free visit and a discount on service fee if you sign up at the first visit. Some owners tweek the system to what they think works in there area. The theory is, if they don't join after the 1st visit chances are they will walk out the door not return and therefore you have lost a potential woman you can help with their personal goals.

Food for thought'
Donna

• 2 weeks later...
Donna...Thanks so much for posting the "reps". My location doesn't do that. I understand not all do but it is nice to know what you should "shoot for". They just say "do as many as you can and be at your target heart rate". I really appreciate it.

Haven't been as good as I should have been. I finally made it last night for the first time in a month. Once I am in the habit and go regularly, then it is easy and becomes part of my day. Once I slip and get out of the habit though it is tough to get back in the routine. I can definitely tell when I go regularly though.....I am a much happier person.

Donna is it true if you are on high blood pressure medicine taking your heart rate is not always accurate. I have been told that by a couple of people. I just came from curves in my area. People are right you feel great when you walk out of there after a half hour. Thanks also for the rep counts. I always count when on the machines. Will have to compare myself later.

Archived