Viking Star 2015 Cruisers List

rblevow

Kostas has confirmed the tour reservation for Santorini and we are set to go! Robert, I hope the four of you decide to join us. There will we be many wonderful photo ops. Elizabeth, thank you for offering to cover part of the deposit. For now, we are okay.

From the reviews I've read, I think we lucked out.

Judy

I'm booking a tour in Kotor that will basically include many of the sights on several of the optional tours in one big 8-hour tour. We will leave Kotor and ride to the Budva Riviera and spend about 1/2 hour there. We will make another stop overlooking Sveti Stefan (a private resort) which is supposed to be beautiful (we cannot go into the exclusive resort - it is private property) Then we will ascend into the interior of Montenegro to Rijeka Crnojevica where we will have a stop for lunch. The we will go to Cetinje and spend about 1/2 hour in this village. We'll take a drive out to Skadar Lake (but not go for a cruise on the lake). Next will be the mountain village of Njegos, and the Mausoleum of Njegos. Next will be the adventurous 25 hair-pin turns as we descend the mountain - we will make some stops to take in the spectacular views. To round out our tour, we will stop at Perast and take a boat out to the island where the church is (this is as add on I requested and will cost an additional €3 to €5 depending on which boat is in the port at the time). Finally we will end up back in Kotor for a walking tour. The cost of this tour is €160 for 4 people. My husband and I are 2 so we're looking for another couple to come along and split the cost. Note: the cost of lunch is additional as is the cost of the boat ride out to the island. The reason I put this together is that we had 16 hours in port, and Kotor is a pretty small place that you can basically cover in a couple of hours, so we thought we'd like to see more. If you're interested, please post.

I'm booking a tour in Kotor that will basically include many of the sights on several of the optional tours in one big 8-hour tour. We will leave Kotor and ride to the Budva Riviera and spend about 1/2 hour there. We will make another stop overlooking Sveti Stefan (a private resort) which is supposed to be beautiful (we cannot go into the exclusive resort - it is private property) Then we will ascend into the interior of Montenegro to Rijeka Crnojevica where we will have a stop for lunch. The we will go to Cetinje and spend about 1/2 hour in this village. We'll take a drive out to Skadar Lake (but not go for a cruise on the lake). Next will be the mountain village of Njegos, and the Mausoleum of Njegos. Next will be the adventurous 25 hair-pin turns as we descend the mountain - we will make some stops to take in the spectacular views. To round out our tour, we will stop at Perast and take a boat out to the island where the church is (this is as add on I requested and will cost an additional €3 to €5 depending on which boat is in the port at the time). Finally we will end up back in Kotor for a walking tour. The cost of this tour is €160 for 4 people. My husband and I are 2 so we're looking for another couple to come along and split the cost. Note: the cost of lunch is additional as is the cost of the boat ride out to the island. The reason I put this together is that we had 16 hours in port, and Kotor is a pretty small place that you can basically cover in a couple of hours, so we thought we'd like to see more. If you're interested, please post.

My Husband and I would like to join you. Kathy and Matt.Do you need a deposit? Let me know

Peter and I have also booked an 8-hour car tour of Montenegro that includes many of the highlights in Elizabeth's itinerary. It, too, is 160 euros for up to four people. It is with Milo Popovic, who was recommended on CruiseCritic. He has a a Facebook page. Who are you doing the tour with, Elizabeth?

Highlights include: Budva, Sv. Stefan private fishing village, on to Brajici for a wonderful view of Budva, to the River Crnojevica and on to the shore of Skadar Lake. Then, to Cetinje, a small, royal town and former Montenegrin capital, with a rich cultural heritage. Includes a Monestery, court, royal theatre, diplomatic houses, etc. Then, a panoramic ride up to Njegusi from where there are stunning views of Boka Bay. Opportunity to stop for tastes of local cheese, ham, and brandy. Final stop on tour is in Perast and finally back to Kotor. He offers to take visitors to a beach near Kotor, as part of the tour, but I will ask for time to tour Kotor instead.

No deposit required. Anyone wish to join us? I am very happy with another couple, but Milo can also arrange an 8 passenger van for 45 euros pp, if there are a lot of interested parties.

Kathy9 - Would be glad for you and Matt to join us. No deposit was required. However, I would like your cabin number just in case I have to get in touch with you onboard. I'd hate to have to go to the front desk and ask them to find a Kathy & Matthew(?) out of 900 or so passengers. Don't need your last name - just your cabin number.

pacquot - my guess is that it might be the same outfit. Our guides name is Ditka. Apparently there's a group of young university students who do this all under the heading of Mont Travelers. Their website is Monttravelers.wix.com . The itineraries sound identical. The only addition I made is to go out to one of the little islands off Perast to see the little church Our Lady of the Rocks.

Sitatraveler - I did that too, but was concerned that I couldn't find a thread for the Istanbul to Barcelona cruise in the Roll Calls so hoped to catch people here. I will no longer post excursion here. Sorry to keep posting things in the wrong place. Thanks for keeping me straight with the rules.

Would you please

POST TOUR REQUESTS ON THE ROLL CALL

threads

This. Tours should never be discussed on the main boards. I was happily sitting over in the roll call thread for Istanbul to Venice asking about Ephesus tours when all the while one was filling up over here in a thread I never looked in. We also seem to have two roll calls for the maiden, and tours were being talked about in the longer one for the first 50 days, but now are finally in both. Usually long voyages like that are broken down into the segments that the cruise line breaks them into and tours are discussed in the individual threads. I ended up booking my own private tours, which is fine, but others that may not know how to do that could be missing out too.

ETA: Sorry, Elizabeth, after posting I kept reading and saw that you addressed this. Hopefully we'll get it right for the folks down the road, much like we're hoping Viking gets it right for them too :)

Edited by amyr

I don't know what happened to Host Andy....

But I think any tours for the first segment

Istanbul to Venice should be posted on that Roll Call.

The other segments also have Roll Calls I believe.

My two cents anyway.

Kathy

Edited by kathy9
correction

First of all, I am now totally perplexed about posting etiquette..on the main thread vs the roll call thread...I see people doing both and so I will post this on both, too. Clearly, I am not a frequent cruiser, but just want to share information with those who may be interested. Is there an official procedure to follow?

Okay, as for Pula, I have reserved an 8-hour tour through the Istrian hillside and along the peninsula, primarily stopping at Motovun, the Lim Fjord, and Rovinj. We will stop at local purveyors along the route to taste their products, have the option of an hour long panoramic boat ride at Lim, then have a harbor side lunch (not included) in Rovinj. Finally, we will tour Pula. The tour will start as close to 9:00 as possible.

We are two, and the van can hold up to six passengers. Pricing looks very attractive, but want to confirm total before posting.

Any interest, let me know.

Judy

Edited by paquebot

IMHO Cruise Critic could greatly help the situation by opening up a roll call for Viking Cruises rather than leaving it in "All Other".

With a high interest ship sailing in 3 months and two more ships under build, I don't think Cruise Critic is sufficiently keeping up cruise passenger interests.

We would then more naturally have a place to post cruise related inquiries and comments such as excursions in the works.

IMHO Cruise Critic could greatly help the situation by opening up a roll call for Viking Cruises rather than leaving it in "All Other".

With a high interest ship sailing in 3 months and two more ships under build, I don't think Cruise Critic is sufficiently keeping up cruise passenger interests.

We would then more naturally have a place to post cruise related inquiries and comments such as excursions in the works.

I agree with you. I requested CC add Viking to the Roll Call Tool, but obviously they will not do that. It would be much better if people posted to each segment to arrange excursions.

I agree with you. I requested CC add Viking to the Roll Call Tool, but obviously they will not do that. It would be much better if people posted to each segment to arrange excursions.

You can post to your roll call under ALL OTHER CRUISE LINE ROLL CALLS. I have asked that they set up a separate roll call for Viking Oceans but they said no when I asked....eventually they will probably do it once the ships start sailing. I don't think anyone is monitoring this particular board. Host Andy seems to have forgotten about Viking Oceans.

I think somebody's monitoring them a bit. Some of my excursion posts were moved from one place to another because I had posted them in the "wrong" place. So somebody is doing something - just not much. Now if we could just get Viking to read these boards, we'd all be ahead!

Curious if anyone has booked the 2night pre embarkation stay at the Conrad Istanbul...we arrive on 9April and will most likely book excursions from the Conrad, particularly Grand Bazaar, during those two days. If anyone will be at the Conrad we will share what we find in the way of tours those first two days. Getting close....

Curious if anyone has booked the 2night pre embarkation stay at the Conrad Istanbul...we arrive on 9April and will most likely book excursions from the Conrad, particularly Grand Bazaar, during those two days. If anyone will be at the Conrad we will share what we find in the way of tours those first two days. Getting close....

We have been to Istanbul before. You don't have to book an excursion to go to the Grand Bazaar. You can just go there on your own and walk around. From our hotel we took a tram. We were able to walk pretty much everywhere to see the sites. We visited the Palace, the Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, underground cisterns and Spice Market. I would definitely plan on seeing all these places when you are there. Istanbul is an amazing city!

We are on the April 20 to May 2 segment from Venice to Barcelona. Unfortunately there is no experience with Viking Ocean's excursions, so we will probably do a few private ones along with some from Viking. I have contacted a guide in Split and we are looking for one or two couples to join us on an all day tour of Split and the Dalmatian Coast. Please let us know if you are interested in private excursions in any of the ports.

We are on the April 20 to May 2 segment from Venice to Barcelona. Unfortunately there is no experience with Viking Ocean's excursions, so we will probably do a few private ones along with some from Viking. I have contacted a guide in Split and we are looking for one or two couples to join us on an all day tour of Split and the Dalmatian Coast. Please let us know if you are interested in private excursions in any of the ports.

Please let us know the details of anything you find for Split and the Dalmation Coast. We were thinking of taking one of Viking's optional tours there as we've been to Split before and would like to see something more. Please provide details from your contact re: itinerary and price. (Viking's optional tour is $139 p/p) You can contact us privately marlou140 at yahoo dot com. Thanks, Marsha and Lou

We're on from Istanbul to Barcelona

Edited by loum140
more info