Weather in November for B2B2B Greek Isles, Adriatic/Greece/Turkey, and Western Med?

allisons

We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles, Eastern Mediterranean/Adriatic, Greece & Turkey, and Western Mediterranean cruise for Fall 2014. We want to choose the "best" weeks in terms of temperature not too hot or too cold, little or no rain, calm seas and smooth sailing, no missed ports, few tourists, few children, etc. We have been looking at various weeks in September and October. We are of the understanding that those are the "best" months to go. However, we're getting some feedback to consider November. We've heard mixed things about November. Some people say they've had fabulous weather in November. Other people report cold weather, rain, rough seas, missed ports, etc. We understand that weather is unpredictable and that any week can be good or bad. However, we want to choose the weeks that will have the best chances of good weather. I am in the process of reviewing the data on http://www.wunderground.com. It's helping and overwhelming me at the same time. There are several advantages for us of going November 1-22. We would save ~$2,500. We would not have to change ships. We would not have to fly from Venice to Barcelona. We would not have to worry about choosing between avoiding travel over the Jewish High Holy Days or being on cruises then, choosing between being at sea vs in a port for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, etc. We would not have to worry about being away prior to a bat mitzvah that I am officiating on October 25th and when I would schedule the rehearsals, etc. However, our primary concern is picking the "best" weeks weather-wise, and we can work all of that other stuff around those decisions. Therefore, we'd like any and all feedback based on your experiences of cruising the Mediterranean in November. Specifically, your experiences cruising the Eastern Mediterranean ~November 1-15 and the Western Mediterranean ~November 15-22. Thank you so much!

Do a google search for Venice in November. Acqua Alta (flooding) is very high risk in November. We were there November 1st and it was already starting. There was about 3 feet of water in San Marco Piazza and they had the raised walkways (think low tables) set up. It poured off and on for the 3 days post-cruise that were were in Venice. Excursions DO NOT get cancelled because of rain or flooding. They did shut down the vaporettos to Burano because the lagoon was too rough to traverse.

We also missed Mykonos because of high winds about the 24th of October.

This is just one of the articles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/acqua-alta-high-water-venice-photos_n_1967963.html

If I were to go again, I'd make the trip no later than the end of Sept and beginning of October. You pay a lot of money to get over there and have poor conditions to endure.

If you can live with the chance of rain, storms, flooding, and it wouldn't ruin your cruise if you hit all of it, then go with your November date. $2500 is a chunk of change. Only you can make the ultimate decision as to what you are willing to risk.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Do a google search for Venice in November. Acqua Alta (flooding) is very high risk in November. We were there November 1st and it was already starting. There was about 3 feet of water in San Marco Piazza and they had the raised walkways (think low tables) set up. It poured off and on for the 3 days post-cruise that were were in Venice. Excursions DO NOT get cancelled because of rain or flooding. They did shut down the vaporettos to Burano because the lagoon was too rough to traverse.

We also missed Mykonos because of high winds about the 24th of October.

This is just one of the articles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/acqua-alta-high-water-venice-photos_n_1967963.html

If I were to go again, I'd make the trip no later than the end of Sept and beginning of October. You pay a lot of money to get over there and have poor conditions to endure.

If you can live with the chance of rain, storms, flooding, and it wouldn't ruin your cruise if you hit all of it, then go with your November date. $2500 is a chunk of change. Only you can make the ultimate decision as to what you are willing to risk.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Thank you so much! This is very helpful! I really appreciate it! You have confirmed exactly what we were thinking when we ruled out November in the first place! We got confused when people starting commenting that we should go in November and that they had fabulous weather. We are not taking any chances. $2500 is significant, but not a deal-breaker for us. November is definitely out!

Venice will be cool and rainy then and there can be flooding.

Greece will have moderate to cool temperatures.

Can you list out all of your ports.

Keith

That's all I needed to hear! November is out! Thank you! Our ports are Venice, Kotor, Cofu, Athens, Mykonos, Argostoli, Venice, Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Olympia, Venice, Kotor, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Toulon, Barcelona.

That's all I needed to hear! November is out! Thank you! Our ports are Venice, Kotor, Cofu, Athens, Mykonos, Argostoli, Venice, Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Olympia, Venice, Kotor, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Toulon, Barcelona.

Smart timing decision/choice!! You will be visiting some super great locations and ports. Wonderful trip!! Below are a few of my links, tips, ideas, visuals, etc. Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 15,409 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 12,270 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 21,510 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 7,565 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,527 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Smart timing decision/choice!! You will be visiting some super great locations and ports. Wonderful trip!! Below are a few of my links, tips, ideas, visuals, etc. Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 15,409 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 12,270 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 21,510 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 7,565 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,527 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

WOW!!!!! This is amazing! I cannot even begin to thank you! I will read all of your links with earnest! Your beautiful pictures have gotten me even more excited about this trip!

For a $2500 savings, I would take an umbrella. Venice with acqua alta is fascinating, a very interesting experience that I would have been sorry to miss. We are doing a similar itinerary in December, and the fares are so cheap I will be able to buy a nice leather jacket in Turkey with the savings!

For a $2500 savings, I would take an umbrella. Venice with acqua alta is fascinating, a very interesting experience that I would have been sorry to miss. We are doing a similar itinerary in December, and the fares are so cheap I will be able to buy a nice leather jacket in Turkey with the savings!

Well, to each their own. I can only say that wandering the streets in Venice soaked to the skin, catching a cold, and being downright miserable for the last 5 days of our trip put a decided damper on the experience. After spending nearly $6000 for the trip, we were really disappointed with the ending of it. I would not repeat at this time of year for any amount of money. Oh yes, we did have umbrellas, but that doesn't keep your feet dry!:(

Thank you for responding. I understand and respect your opinion. However, that is not for us. We will eat the $2,500 and hope for better weather!

Well, to each their own. I can only say that wandering the streets in Venice soaked to the skin, catching a cold, and being downright miserable for the last 5 days of our trip put a decided damper on the experience. After spending nearly $6000 for the trip, we were really disappointed with the ending of it. I would not repeat at this time of year for any amount of money. Oh yes, we did have umbrellas, but that doesn't keep your feet dry!:(

Agreed!

Thank you for responding. I understand and respect your opinion. However, that is not for us. We will eat the $2,500 and hope for better weather!

You have to make the decision that's right for you. I hope you have a fantastic time whenever you choose to go.

El, I am a terrible cheapskate, equipped with wellies to ward off wet feet. :) I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience in such a lovely city.

It was flooding in Venice in the second week of October in 2011. Maybe by November it was all over.

You really cannot predict the weather.

I have posted on your other thread about our Nov. 2009 cruise where we had far better weather than our trip to Italy, Croatia, etc. in October 2011.

It was flooding in Venice in the second week of October in 2011. Maybe by November it was all over.

You really cannot predict the weather.

I have posted on your other thread about our Nov. 2009 cruise where we had far better weather than our trip to Italy, Croatia, etc. in October 2011.

Thanks again! I agree that weather cannot be predicted. However, I want to go with the time that will be our best bet. It seems like that is September.

We have taken 2 Med cruises out of Rome in November 2009 and November 2012. Both started about November 18 and did almost the exact same ports. The 2009 cruise had perfect weather (about 76-80 every day) and the 2012 cruise had a bit cooler weather (about 65-68 most days.) We arrived in Venice on December 1 and it was the coolest port on our trip and it was rainy. We stayed for several extra days and a couple were sunny and not as cold (50's.)

We love cruising the Med at that time of year. The best thing is that we were the only ship at every port during 2012 and at all but one port in 2009 (one port had 2 ships.) So there were no crowds and it was not hot. I cannot imagine being in Santorini or Mykonos with another ship.

We would not do a September Med cruise because of the heat.

As an example of the sparse crowds, we were in Athens in late November 2012. We didn't hurry and left the ship around 9:30 in a taxi and went to the Parthenon. I love taking pictures and I especially love it when I don't have other people in my pictures. We walked to the top of the Parthenon and almost all my pictures at the top do not have any other people in them.

We did the same thing in Naples (took our time leaving the ship in a taxi.) Almost all my pictures of Pompeii have nobody or just us. And those are wide angle pictures and pictures of the long 'roads.'

But I agree that everyone needs to decide what is best for them.

We have taken 2 Med cruises out of Rome in November 2009 and November 2012. Both started about November 18 and did almost the exact same ports. The 2009 cruise had perfect weather (about 76-80 every day) and the 2012 cruise had a bit cooler weather (about 65-68 most days.) We arrived in Venice on December 1 and it was the coolest port on our trip and it was rainy. We stayed for several extra days and a couple were sunny and not as cold (50's.)

We love cruising the Med at that time of year. The best thing is that we were the only ship at every port during 2012 and at all but one port in 2009 (one port had 2 ships.) So there were no crowds and it was not hot. I cannot imagine being in Santorini or Mykonos with another ship.

We would not do a September Med cruise because of the heat.

As an example of the sparse crowds, we were in Athens in late November 2012. We didn't hurry and left the ship around 9:30 in a taxi and went to the Parthenon. I love taking pictures and I especially love it when I don't have other people in my pictures. We walked to the top of the Parthenon and almost all my pictures at the top do not have any other people in them.

We did the same thing in Naples (took our time leaving the ship in a taxi.) Almost all my pictures of Pompeii have nobody or just us. And those are wide angle pictures and pictures of the long 'roads.'

But I agree that everyone needs to decide what is best for them.

The lack of crowds is very appealing! How hot are we talking in September?!

Archived