what passes for formal wear these days?

• 3 months later...
I very much agree. I was on Oasis last year and booked on Allure this Sept.My husband is not a suit/tux kind of guy, he wore nice pants and a nice Tommy Bahama shirt and I a nice sun dress for formal dinners, and it was fine, we never felt out of place, in fact we looked pretty darn good :) People were dressed in all kinds of ways and I really did not care who was wearing what. We were having so much fun, I really didn't care who was wearing what :) You will love it! I promise!! :)

This is great information. I usually wear a dress or black slacks and DH wears Black Dockers and long sleeve dress shirt (this is formal to him) he definately is not a suit guy - Only wears those to funerals. Casual nights he wears Kaki (sp) Dockers and Polo or Tommy Bahama short sleeve shirts. This works for us.

I personally enjoy watching the people who are dressed up - but anybody dressed down does not affect my enjoyment....:p

I personally enjoy watching the people who are dressed up - but anybody dressed down does not affect my enjoyment....:p

No offense but that sentence doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you enjoy people dressed up, then people not dressed up would in fact affect your enjoyment, no?

We will be on Brilliance this summer. How can I find out how many formal nights there will be, any idea please? DH usually wears a tux for formal nights and I wear long dress trousers with a sparkly top - will that be okay? We've not been with RCI before, just now venturing away from British P&O :D

Thanks!

No offense but that sentence doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you enjoy people dressed up, then people not dressed up would in fact affect your enjoyment, no?

Yes, I enjoy seeing the pretty dresses on the women. But if a couple comes in wearing slacks, it does not upset me. To each their own.

Many people on these boards complain about how others are dressed. Not my style...

I like to wear shorts, flip flops, tank top with the tail cut off and my beach hat to dinner on Formal Night. I always wonder why people stare. I guess they are jealous of how dashing I look. Oh I forgot to say I also have on black dress socks pulled up over the calves with the flip flops.

Hope everyone has wonderful cruises.

I like to wear shorts, flip flops, tank top with the tail cut off and my beach hat to dinner on Formal Night. I always wonder why people stare. I guess they are jealous of how dashing I look. Oh I forgot to say I also have on black dress socks pulled up over the calves with the flip flops.

Hope everyone has wonderful cruises.

Do you really dress this way to dinner? :confused:

300+ posts on what qualifies as formal attire. Crazy party of 300 your table is ready in the main dining room.

These formal wear threads are like those monsters in very bad Horror films. The hero or heroin thinks they've killed the beast only to realize, too late, that it has risen from the dead to cause even more mayhem. :eek:

I'll ask again: Do you really dress like this for dinner? :confused:

Based on the jocular nature and outlandishness of sealeggs' post, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your sarcasm radar may be a bit off.

Based on the jocular nature and outlandishness of sealeggs' post, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your sarcasm radar may be a bit off.

My "sarcasm radar" is properly calibrated, I assure you. I just fail to see the point of his so-called sarcasm. What is he lampooning?

I'll ask again: Do you really dress like this for dinner? :confused:

My "sarcasm radar" is properly calibrated, I assure you. I just fail to see the point of his so-called sarcasm. What is he lampooning?

What is the point of any sarcasm? To be absurd and funny I'd be willing to bet. Sealeggs can correct me if I'm wrong but the lampoon seems to be about people who show up to dinner dressed in their finest beachwear.

What is the point of any sarcasm? To be absurd and funny I'd be willing to bet. Sealeggs can correct me if I'm wrong but the lampoon seems to be about people who show up to dinner dressed in their finest beachwear.

Ahh, the old "go-to-extremes-to-prove-a point" gag. I wonder, though, how many actually dress in beachwear on formal night? My thought is not many, but then again Sealeggs might be confusing Dockers with shorts. :D

Edited by CruiseTobey

If CruiseToby really thinks that is what I wear to dinner on Formal Night. Who am I to bust his bubble. He really had to ask the question 2 times? Just so I won't keep you wondering anymore CruiseToby, I dress in a Tux. I bought just for cruises. and my DW wears a Formal Gown. There now the cat is out of the bag. I will put my finest bball shorts away.

It's good to know that we won't be looked down on for not being dressed in tuxes and ball gowns on formal night. I was a bit worried about my son who has autism. He has a thing about clothing and buttons are especially troublesome for him. Although I must say he is getting much better with the clothing thing. My hubby and 3 other boys will all be in suits and ties and I will have some sort of dress on. I will try a suit for my other son but will probably go with dress pants with an elastic waist and a polo shirt, or try a button down shirt and tie. Just gonna give it a try but if he fights me on it I'm going with what makes him comfortable. Some things are not worth the fight, especially on vacation!