what passes for formal wear these days?

[quote name='Onessa']

Every civilized society has some standards of behavior (including standards of dress). Asking folks who care to dine in the MDR to adhere to a certain minimum standard of dress. And most cruise lines "minimum" is really not that onerous (no more so than requiring long pants for ice skating, or requiring you wear a shirt in the bars)![/quote]

Bingo,
same thing goes for Chair hogs and booze smugglers.
Off of a cruise, it's the same people that go down the lane in the parking lot against the grain because there was a spot 2 cars closer. You are either a person considerate of others and how society functions or you're not.
There are "givers" and "takers.

Look at the mirror, if you like what you see. Best to you.

He can eat in the Windjammer on formal night. No need to dress up!
[quote name='Thenewsatchell']It's hard to get my husband to dress up for formal night. It's a battle not worth fighting.[/QUOTE]

[B][COLOR=darkorchid]I have never brought a tux with me and I don't own one and I'm not going to rent one. I bring one suit (Light or dark colored - I own a lot of suits) and two shirts and two ties for a different look on both formal nights! :cool:[/COLOR][/B] Edited by bigque

I have completely quit the dressing up for Formal Night. I will wear a polo shirt and a pair of khakis or dress slacks but no suit or tux for my. Hopefully, I will not ruin someone's cruise because of us not dressing for the occasion.

No, I'm not one of those that feels it is my vacation, I paid for the cruise, and I can do what I want, again, no that's not me. I will follow every rule in the book on a cruise, just not this one.

Again, sorry if I am dining by you and my attire offends you on Formal Night.

Tim

[quote name='HB Cruiser']I have completely quit the dressing up for Formal Night. I will wear a polo shirt and a pair of khakis or dress slacks but no suit or tux for my. Hopefully, I will not ruin someone's cruise because of us not dressing for the occasion.

No, I'm not one of those that feels it is my vacation, I paid for the cruise, and I can do what I want, again, no that's not me. I will follow every rule in the book on a cruise, just not this one.

Tim[/quote]

Thank you for putting it so eloquently!

Long time cruisers (like me) have grown tired of the fallacy of the supposed "luxury" of mass-marketed cruising. I, too, at the beginning brought suits and ties for formal night, and my wife wore dresses and skirts. We quickly realized however that to do so was really unnecessary. All RCCL really cares about is that you pay your fare, buy a few excursions, and buy lots of drinks. They couldn't care less about what you are wearing, as long as your money is green.

Dockers and a polo for me, capris and a blouse for my wife - that's all you really need. Edited by CruiseTobey

[quote name='HB Cruiser']I have completely quit the dressing up for Formal Night. I will wear a polo shirt and a pair of khakis or dress slacks but no suit or tux for my. Hopefully, I will not ruin someone's cruise because of us not dressing for the occasion.

[B]No, I'm not one of those that feels it is my vacation, I paid for the cruise, and I can do what I want, again, no that's not me. I will follow every rule in the book on a cruise, just not this one.[/B]

Tim[/quote]

According to most of the curmudgeons who are holding on too tightly to norms of yesteryear...that's not possible. You can't generally be a rule follower with only one exception. If you don't wear a tux on formal night, you're at the root of the decline [I]all [/I]civilization. The kicker is, I'd bet most of the defenders of the rules of formal nights are probably the biggest chair hogs during the day.

RCCL will not strictly enforce the suggested formal dress code because they know if they did, they would lose customers in droves to NCL and CCL.

I was at a large 4th of July BBQ last Thursday and a group of us (some I knew already and some I had just met at the BBQ) were chatting and the topic of conversation for a while was crusing. Everyone had their preferred cruise lines, their preferred itineraries, etc. However, the one preference we all had in common was that no one cared for formal nights and would rather not get dressed up while on vaction - particulalrly on a cruise to the Caribbean. To many, the Caribbean isn't just the destination...it's a state of mind - one that you don't associate with tuxedos. I really do think it is a matter of when - not if - that all mass market cruise lines do away with them. Those who want to hold on to them should cruise Cunard or Seabourn. Problem is, they probably could not afford them. So they want a Bergdorf Goodman experience while paying Walmart prices. Can't have it both ways. Edited by mcd2745

[quote name='mcd2745'] I really do think it is a matter of when - not if - that all mass market cruise lines do away with them. Those who want to hold on to them should cruise Cunard or Seabourn. Problem is, they probably could not afford them. So they want a Bergdorf Goodman experience while paying Walmart prices.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head. Mass-market cruise lines (like RCCL) care about the money, not the ambiance. The goal of RCCL's bean-counters is to fill every ship, every cruise. This has led to a gradual shift in what is wanted and/or expected from the average customer. Most do not care for so-called "formal" dining - they just want to relax and have a good time with their families. Why should the majority be held captive by the old-fashioned whims of a rapidly shrinking minority that prefers to play dress up?

As you said, the formal and sophisticated cruise experience is still available in the higher-end cruise lines. If some pine for the "good old days" of formal night, they are welcome to book passage on one of those lines.

It is true that there are still lines out there that carry pax that still know how to dress for a formal dinner.

The mainstream lines like RCI are only interested in the bottom line and are more than happy to cater to pax who are more than happy to eat dinner in their pajamas and gardening clothes.

wear whatever you want to wear. RCI doesn't care.

Thats real comical :rolleyes: Over exaggerate much? Guess I havent been on enough cruises then because I have yet to see pajamas or garden clothes in the MDR.

But yeah, RCI really doesnt care and neither does anyone else but just a select few here that think they can force their opinion down peoples throats and tell them what to wear on a cruise they arent even gonna be on in the first place. :rolleyes: Edited by ryano

We just finished our 90th cruise in June and indeed did see a woman who wore pajama bottoms into the MDR and a middle aged man who wore jeans that were torn at the knees.

And we have also seen worse than that.

It also is true that RCI doesn't care what pax wear these days. In the past we saw plenty of pax refused entry into the MDR..now not so much.

I don't beleive that a majority are tyring to force any opinion down anyones throat but are making observations about what they see on their cruises.

And if pax need written "suggestions" about what constitutes "formal" wear it isn't a shock that they may not recognize what constitutes pajamas or garden wear,even if they see it staring at them in a mirror..;)

[quote name='Bakincakes']We just finished our 90th cruise in June and indeed did see a woman who wore pajama bottoms into the MDR and a middle aged man who wore jeans that were torn at the knees.

And we have also seen worse than that.

It also is true that RCI doesn't care what pax wear these days. In the past we saw plenty of pax refused entry into the MDR..now not so much.

I don't beleive that a majority are tyring to force any opinion down anyones throat but are making observations about what they see on their cruises.

And if pax need written "suggestions" about what constitutes "formal" wear it isn't a shock that they may not recognize what constitutes pajamas or garden wear,even if they see it staring at them in a mirror..;)[/quote]

Why do you still cruise RCI? :confused:

You bash the passengers, you bash the food, you bash the MDR and pretty much everything regarding cruising on mass market lines. Its the same old same old with everything you post.

If I were as dissatisfied as you, I would probably look at a luxury line or somewhere my money is better spent ;) Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Im just saying. Edited by ryano

:)
Our grandchildren go with us alot and they prefer RCI.

We also treat our employees to a cruise each year as a bonus. Many of them have kids and the kids enjoy things like the flowrider on the RCI line.

If we cruise on our own we prefer X, Princess or Holland so we do get around to other lines.

Many may see our comments as "complaiints"..I prefer to refer to them as observations of what has happened to RCI over the past 10 years.

Needless to say we have spent alot of money sailing RCI over the years and are disheartened by what we see and experience these days.

Once the grands are old enough to cruise on their own and we retire and are no longer taking business cruises that will most likely be the end of our RCI days.:)

Unless of course RCI does a shift and once again begins to take pride in their line.

I have a couple of more simple long dresses that I wear. No glitz or beads or sequins. I dress casually at home most of the time and I admit that I enjoy the chance to dress up. I put them on top when I pack and they take little space - they smash down well and shake out when I hang them up. I still find it kind of fun to dress up on the "formal" nights. My husband rented a tux for years and looked wonderful in it. He bought a new suit and now wears it instead.

:)

Our grandchildren go with us alot and they prefer RCI.

We also treat our employees to a cruise each year as a bonus. Many of them have kids and the kids enjoy things like the flowrider on the RCI line.

If we cruise on our own we prefer X, Princess or Holland so we do get around to other lines.

Many may see our comments as "complaiints"..I prefer to refer to them as observations of what has happened to RCI over the past 10 years.

Needless to say we have spent alot of money sailing RCI over the years and are disheartened by what we see and experience these days.

Once the grands are old enough to cruise on their own and we retire and are no longer taking business cruises that will most likely be the end of our RCI days.:)

Unless of course RCI does a shift and once again begins to take pride in their line.

Here's my question to you (after 90 cruises): when you first started cruising, how many ships had a flowrider/rock wall/mini golf/zip lines/water slides/ice rink/etc.? And how many children did you see on average? The whole industry has shifted. What once was an industry that marketed itself to a different (and, yes, older) demographic has clearly changed directions and is aggresively going ater the family vacation dollar and younger demographics. Some, like yourself, may see that as them no longer taking pride in their product...and you're entitled to that opinion. Others do not see it that way.

What's certain is, for better or worse, they are promoting a completely different type of experience than what they were offering 20+ years ago. One that is more about fun and relaxtion and less about elegance and such. Dinner is no longer the centerpiece of each day on a cruise the way it once was. Today, dinner is barely more than an interruption of the day's activities.

Edited by mcd2745

Of course ships have morphed into what they are today.

People are not content to just sail..they must be entertained every moment of the day.

I started cruising when I was 4 years old. My grandparents lived in the UK and my mother was afraid of flying...so we sailed.

Cruise ships are becoming more like amusement parks than ships. And if that is your cup of tea I am certain you are thrilled.

Many pax aren't interested in that part of cruising..they want to enjoy some peace and quiet and some adult time. Unfortunately cruiselines are catering more and more to families with children. Those who want just one area of the ship to be offlimits to kids are finding it more and more difficult to achieve. And they need to seriously consider switching lines, which I find unfortunate, especially for those who have been loyal customers for many years.

Of course ships have morphed into what they are today.

People are not content to just sail..they must be entertained every moment of the day.

I started cruising when I was 4 years old. My grandparents lived in the UK and my mother was afraid of flying...so we sailed.

Cruise ships are becoming more like amusement parks than ships. And if that is your cup of tea I am certain you are thrilled.

Many pax aren't interested in that part of cruising..they want to enjoy some peace and quiet and some adult time. Unfortunately cruiselines are catering more and more to families with children. Those who want just one area of the ship to be offlimits to kids are finding it more and more difficult to achieve. And they need to seriously consider switching lines, which I find unfortunate, especially for those who have been loyal customers for many years.

With the consolidation of the industry (particulalrly in the 90s), you can usually switch lines and still say within the same parent company. This allows to keep your status and recognition in the loyalty programs, so I'm not sure why you would consider that "unfortunate" if someone wants to switch to the more upscale lines.

:)We also treat our employees to a cruise each year as a bonus. Many of them have kids and the kids enjoy things like the flowrider on the RCI line.

Can I PLEASE go to work for you? ;)

I promise to wear a tux at dinner on formal night if you take me. :D

Tim

What's certain is, for better or worse, they are promoting a completely different type of experience than what they were offering 20+ years ago. One that is more about fun and relaxtion and less about elegance and such. Dinner is no longer the centerpiece of each day on a cruise the way it once was. Today, dinner is barely more than an interruption of the day's activities.

Excellent points. The mass-market cruise industry has (finally!) shifted toward a more relaxed experience. Unfortunately, for some it may be best to either accept it or get out of the way.

It's the Maitre'd's job to enforce any dress code. Not the passengers job

The bottom line is formal night has dress guidelines.

Whether it's a guideline or rule, if it is not enforced, it is useless. People will do what they like.

Some people will push the envelope, until they get pushed back. Just the way they are.

Enjoy your cruise.

With the consolidation of the industry (particulalrly in the 90s), you can usually switch lines and still say within the same parent company. This allows to keep your status and recognition in the loyalty programs, so I'm not sure why you would consider that "unfortunate" if someone wants to switch to the more upscale lines.

IMO it would be "unfortunate" if pax find the need to switch from a line they have been satisfied with.

It isn't always the loyalty program that keeps pax on a particular brand of ship.

Excellent points. The mass-market cruise industry has (finally!) shifted toward a more relaxed experience. Unfortunately, for some it may be best to either accept it or get out of the way.

They shifted towards the "relaxed" when they created places like the WJ for those pax that wanted a more casual dining venue.