what passes for formal wear these days?

They shifted towards the "relaxed" when they created places like the WJ for those pax that wanted a more casual dining venue.

True, but the MDR gives you a chance to be served rather than pulling up a buffet line. The food is basically the same, it's just brought to you by tuxedo-clad servers.

I use the WJ (and the Solarium Bistro) when I want to eat in shorts. I will put on some khakis and a collared shirt for the MDR (even on "formal night" - oh! the horror!)

The bottom line is formal night has dress guidelines.

Whether it's a guideline or rule, if it is not enforced, it is useless. People will do what they like.

Disagree, it's a guideline that is very useful. It allows those of us that wish to dress up to do so coordinated with other passengers instead of trying to guess what night they will dress up. Leave the suggested dress code as it is. It works for all.

Just off Serenade 12 day /Europe cruise many at our table wore tuxes

We laughed when my husband wore a sport jacket dress pants and tie....

On the other hand many people commented on a few that were in t shirts and one teenage girl at another table was in a pair of short shorts...totally inappropriate! Why not dine somewhere else.... Plenty of options!

RCI should address these formal nights either dress appropriately in the dining room OR do away with this night entirely!!!!!

RCI should address these formal nights either dress appropriately in the dining room OR do away with this night entirely!!!!!

I still don't understand this attitude. Yes, it is appropriate to follow the posted guidelines of dress. But is it really important to have enforcement to make sure that everyone does so or goes elsewhere? What is so wrong with the current situation, where most people make an attempt to dress up, and some people don't? I would rather the RCI staff focus on their service and not be occupied with policing the way people dress for dinner.

Other than Cunard, most of the luxury lines have "country club casual" as a dress code. So it looks like even people who can afford those don't want to pack a tux or a gown either.

On the luxury lines, the dress codes are strictly enforced. For most, there are no jeans/shorts after 6 PM anywhere on the ship and you will be asked to change if you are wearing them (I think exceptions are made for those going to and from hot tub/spa etc). So, even though many lines do not have "formal" night, people respect the dress code and adhere to it.

If the mass market lines were to relax the dress code, who knows what would happen? People already want to wear shorts to dinner and jeans to formal night.

If the mass market lines were to relax the dress code, who knows what would happen? People already want to wear shorts to dinner and jeans to formal night.

Oh the horror!!!

IMO, the real smart thing for the cruise lines to do would be to relax/amend the dress codes a little...maybe allow certain types of shorts, however also require collared shirts for men and then strictly enforce that relaxed code.

Oh the horror!!!

IMO, the real smart thing for the cruise lines to do would be to relax/amend the dress codes a little...maybe allow certain types of shorts, however also require collared shirts for men and then strictly enforce that relaxed code.

What's smart about something that requires them to become enforcers? Maybe the smart thing is to continue to suggest a dress code and accept the fact that some people will do whatever they want, no matter what you tell them and some people will be upset that not everyone is playing along. Meanwhile, the majority of people will still have a guide on what to pack/wear and what worry that much about the others, and the staff don't have to worry about trying to "catch" people who are not dressed to standard.

You know what...you're right. Let's not worry about any kind of enforcement and just make it "anything goes"!

Agreed. The best part is, this is already in effect, so nothing new has to be done. Some people won't follow the dress code, but it's not really that much of a problem to the majority of people who do.

My husband has moved to taking a suit rather than a dinner suit as he started to find he was the only one of could find less than 5 in them at dinner and it weighs a lot. So he takes a dark suit, so he can wear the pants with a shirt and tie another night or even with just a shirt - to save on packing

My dresses have got shorter and they are all now knee length

We used to pack the full formal ball gown etc and didn't mind to start with that there were not many of us but I've given in as I feel out of place

This is always such a debate.

Last year we were on the ALLURE, i did have a gown only because it was reasonable priced and i like to dress up. My husband wore a tux because he bought it for my daughters wedding (again reasonably price.) we didn't feel out of place there were others in tuxes not too many. I think it is fun to get dressed up, but then again i enjoy it, it was for one night. I think they should cut it down formal night to the one night, the 2nd one hardly anyone dresses, that is what i see.

People should be allowed to dress as they please but i do object when they are allowed to go into the main dining room with shorts and tank tops. there are so many other places to eat.

Oh the horror!!!

I don't really care what they do. My point was that people ignore the dress code anyway.

And allowing "certain types of shorts", to me, is just additional cause for controversy. Who decides? Who is responsible for approaching the person?

Edited by galavant3

So true. Its MY vacation and I will wear what I want. So why even have a suggested dress code and come to the MDR straight from the pool?

I don't really care what they do. My point was that people ignore the dress code anyway.

And allowing "certain types of shorts", to me, is just additional cause for controversy. Who decides? Who is responsible for approaching the person?

Edited by awhcruiser

So true. Its MY vacation and I will wear what I want. So why even have a suggested dress code and come to the MDR straight from the pool?

Again with the extremes. Is your argument so weak that you can't make a lucid statement supporting your view? It is highly doubtful that a person will attempt to wear their swimsuit on formal night, and you know it. What is your point anyway?

Moderator, close this thread.

I'd say this dead horse has been beaten enough for sure. ;)

But closing this one will only cause another one to open. :p

I personally like getting dressed up for dinner on the formal nights. To me, it's part of the experience of cruising and what makes the cruise for me. I don't have the opportunity to go out to a fancy dinner and get dressed up all that often on land so I look to take full advantage of it on a cruise.

While I believe the dress code should be enforced if you are going to have "Formal Nights" on a cruise, I am not going to get bent out of shape if I see someone walk into the dining room wearing a polo and khaki's.

My view is this: the suggested attire for formal nights is posted on the "What to Know Before You Go" section on RCCL's main website. It also has a breakdown of how many formal nights there are on a given voyage depending on length. This is for everyone to see and prepare for. And if dressing up is not your thing, that's completely understandable and completely fine with me. Just expect to be turned away at the main dining room by staff(though this isn't the case on RCCL).

But closing this one will only cause another one to open. :p

I personally like getting dressed up for dinner on the formal nights. To me, it's part of the experience of cruising and what makes the cruise for me. I don't have the opportunity to go out to a fancy dinner and get dressed up all that often on land so I look to take full advantage of it on a cruise.

While I believe the dress code should be enforced if you are going to have "Formal Nights" on a cruise, I am not going to get bent out of shape if I see someone walk into the dining room wearing a polo and khaki's.

My view is this: the suggested attire for formal nights is posted on the "What to Know Before You Go" section on RCCL's main website. It also has a breakdown of how many formal nights there are on a given voyage depending on length. This is for everyone to see and prepare for. And if dressing up is not your thing, that's completely understandable and completely fine with me. Just expect to be turned away at the main dining room by staff(though this isn't the case on RCCL).

So very well put!!!

A very few folks wear a tux on Oasis or Allure. Maybe saw a couple of dozen ??

Nice dark suits seemed to be the majority, with a smattering of slacks and shirts and /or sports jackets and ties and a couple of dozen who are running around in a polo shirt or tees ( but I can't say I saw many of them in the dining rooms)

The funniest thing is at 5 PM, the couples with early seating are dressed to the nines getting drinks and photos done; the older gents often have a tux from the good old days of cruising and their ladies have a full length "mother of the bride" dress and the younger crowd with late seating is still running around in their bathing suits and shorts...it makes for a really weird Promenade experience!:p;)

If you don't wish to take the tux, you could rent one or just wear your dark suit and you would not be out of place!

Happy cruising!

You are so right and your observations are on target about the attire at 5 pm. "Mother of the Bride," shorts, bathing suits, ... I had a good laugh as that is what we've also observed. I will also say that we were so jammed into the Main Dining room (table 436) that I don't think any of us noticed who was wearing what nor did we care. We had early dining. It's a cattle call. And on another note, I recently read a professional review saying that the more exclusive the ship, the more casual the dress.

It is your vacation and you could do what you want, but the dining room is not the place for bathing suits. It is nice to have certain places for certain situations.

Dining room is for proper attire, i wouldn't want to sit next to a big hairy chested main next to me or someone in a skimpy bikini with thier b..bs hanging out. On dry land you always see sign, "shoes must be worn, no tank tops etc.

... in a skimpy bikini with thier b..bs hanging out. On dry land you always see sign, "shoes must be worn, no tank tops etc.

What if the boobs are hanging out of a 'sparkly' formal gown? Would that be okay?

What if the boobs are hanging out of a 'sparkly' formal gown? Would that be okay?

The style of dress has nothing to do with it. It is simply not appropriate for them to be hanging out under a C cup.

How hard is that to understand. :)